• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Stupid Dumb Friend Decided To Upgrade His PC to These Specs at the Cost of $1360 USD (PC GAF, Get ITT!!!)

Alienware Aurora R8 (Highly Upgradable Pre-Built PC Gaming Desktop)
Processor
9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 9700 (8-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
Operating System
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English
Video Cards
AMD Radeon™ RX 570X with 8GB GDDR5
Chassis Options
Alienware 850 Watt Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling
Memory
16GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Wireless
Qualcomm DW1810 1x1 802.11ac Wi-Fi Wireless + Bluetooth 4.2
Wireless Driver for 1810/1820
Service
1 Year Hardware Warranty with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis
Cable
US Power Cord
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed)
Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial
McAfee Live Safe

($1360 USD including shipping and tax)

So GAF, did my stupid dumb friend make a better decision this time around?

Skyr

CheerfulEllipticalEstuarinecrocodile-max-1mb.gif

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What the fuck is Alienware 850 Watt Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling, I think that's a no. Aside from that I don't have anything to say, I would go with intel for simplicity, but I would maybe go for R5600XT GPU or (if budget allows it) RTX 2070 Super.

I read it was possible to add 2 more RAMs up to 64GB and replace/upgrade up to two graphics card.
Not for free it isn't. You'd need to pour yet more money down the drain on more RAM and another GPU. Also SLI/Crossfire is basically dead now, you'd be better off buying an entirely different and more powerful GPU and trying to sell the RX570X to recover as much as possible. Your friend got ripped off...but it's Alienware...so that was to be expected.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Any reason why?
Alienware parts are typically just white branded stuff for way more
Really with Alienware stuff you're just paying for a customized case and a warranty

I read it was possible to add 2 more RAMs up to 64GB and replace/upgrade up to two graphics card.
Ehhh...remember, the person wasn't willing to build their own PC. If you're going to upgrade later on, why not just build it from scratch in the first place?

Also, with custom made things, comes custom made solutions, not universal. If that case has a problem, it may not be just as easy as "Rip everything out and put into other case."
Lotta times they build shit in a way that if you're not INCREDIBLY familiar with the model and all of its variants, you're going to break something
Let me just take the time to complain about HP Pavillion lap tops...

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Tell your “friend” to stop looking at these pre-built systems and look for a seller that builds PC’s from scratch for you, they are cheaper and he can use those savings to get better hardware .
If anything don’t get 2 GPU‘s in SLI or Crossfire , your better spending more money on a single more powerful GPU than two cheaper weaker ones together.

Not for free it isn't. You'd need to pour yet more money down the drain on more RAM and another GPU. Also SLI/Crossfire is basically dead now, you'd be better off buying an entirely different and more powerful GPU and trying to sell the RX570X to recover as much as possible. Your friend got ripped off...but it's Alienware...so that was to be expected.
Makes sense.
Way too weak GPU for the overall price.
A 850 watt liquid cooled power supply? Total overkill for that system.
Plus it’s Alienware where you pay a premium for hot air and an 👽 logo on your case.
The 850W was for future-proofing the rig when he upgrades eventually to a better GPU, according to my friend.

The rip-off was known but Me and him compared it to pc part picker and got a similar price range.

That's a shitty pc brah.
He could've had a much much better system then that if he went the build your self route.
I have a feeling that there isn't really a "friend" here. It's you, isn't it?

The 850W was for future-proofing the rig when he upgrades eventually to a better GPU, according to my friend.
850W is massive overkill for any single GPU system. Even the top tier xx80 Ti GPUs will run fine with a 500W PSU. Overclocking might be limited a little...but a 600W PSU would be more than enough, and besides; nobody buying a prebuilt is going to be overclocking any time soon.

That's a shitty pc brah.
He could've had a much much better system then that if he went the build your self route.
I have a feeling that there isn't really a "friend" here. It's you, isn't it?
Stop with the "build your PC" stuff because that shit is not easy and a novice can brick his components (true stories on the internet, look them up).

I had to convince my friend to return his old PC rig and get this instead because it strikes a balance between pre-built and customizable gaming desktop.

waylo

Banned
It is easy though, especially nowadays. If you can follow instructions and build some Lego shit, you can build a PC. It really isn't that difficult.

850W is massive overkill for any single GPU system. Even the top tier xx80 Ti GPUs will run fine with a 500W PSU. Overclocking might be limited a little...but a 600W PSU would be more than enough, and besides; nobody buying a prebuilt is going to be overclocking any time soon.
RTX 3060 coming so so soon though
hhh.png

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Makes sense.

The rip-off was known but Me and him compared it to pc part picker and got a similar price range.
It's not that the parts are equivalent pricing to what you would get in the build
It's how well the parts actually work; something can be more expensive and be shittier, or not worth the price

MCP forbid me for posting a Tom's Hardware link, but

Stop with the "build your PC" stuff because that shit is not easy and a novice can brick his components (true stories on the internet, look them up).

I had to convince my friend to return his old PC rig and get this instead because it strikes a balance between pre-built and customizable gaming desktop.
Ya ya we get it we get it; doing PC stuff is hard

It's not like kids in high school aren't building PCs or anything
To be straight, there's guides that come in every box of every part that you can correlate together and it tells you what to do

That statement about Legos I made earlier comes to mind; now, if your friend is a brutish idiot I can understand, you just need to relay that information and we'll all laugh going "PEBKAC!"

Ya ya we get it we get it; doing PC stuff is hard

It's not like kids in high school aren't building PCs or anything
To be straight, there's guides that come in every box of every part that you can correlate together and it tells you what to do

That statement about Legos I made earlier comes to mind; now, if your friend is a brutish idiot I can understand, you just need to relay that information and we'll all laugh going "PEBKAC!"
745502.jpg

DESTROYA

Thats exactly why I asked where your “friend” is ordering from, we could point you to places that build customized better desktops for you for less money than AW.

Thats exactly why I asked where your “friend” is ordering from, we could point you to places that build customized better desktops for you for less money than AW.
We checked in the United Cities of America and we felt this one was more legit coming from Dell.

He definitely lost $200 because "Alienware" but its better than his old rig.

Knch

Alienware Aurora R8 (Highly Upgradable Pre-Built PC Gaming Desktop)
Processor
9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 9700 (8-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
Operating System
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English
Video Cards
AMD Radeon™ RX 570X with 8GB GDDR5
Chassis Options
Alienware 850 Watt Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling
Memory
16GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Wireless
Qualcomm DW1810 1x1 802.11ac Wi-Fi Wireless + Bluetooth 4.2
Wireless Driver for 1810/1820
Service
1 Year Hardware Warranty with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis
Cable
US Power Cord
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed)
Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial
McAfee Live Safe

($1360 USD including shipping and tax)

So GAF, did my stupid dumb friend make a better decision this time around?
No, "your friend" is still a ducking moron.

That GPU is worth fuck all
HDD way to tiny
RAM too slow (it's fine, but not at that price)

...also, it's Alienware, so yes it's overpriced and you're fucked upgrade wise, because non-standard parts.

Last edited:

Honestly man, I don't get it. IT'S NOT HARD. You can maybe brick your system if you flash the bios incorrectly but even that is hard to achieve.
But if you/your friend are so afraid to build a system yourself, why not selecting your own components and then paying someone 50-100 bucks to assemble it for you?
This way you achieve the perfect balance you so strive for. Just saying man.
But it's your choice, I won't say nothing anymore.

you're fucking upgrade wise, because non-standard parts.
Explain please.
Honestly man, I don't get it. IT'S NOT HARD. You can maybe brick your system if you flash the bios incorrectly but even that is hard to achieve.
But if you/your friend are so afraid to build a system yourself, why not selecting your own components and then paying someone 50-100 bucks to assemble it for you?
This way you achieve the perfect balance you so strive for. Just saying man.
But it's your choice, I won't say nothing anymore.
We don't trust anyone who doesn't work for a legit company.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Nice, started the thread text with Alienware. You didnt need to write anything more 🤣

I was always amazed back in the day when people would come up to me and say “I just bought this sweet pc from pc world, £2000!”. The look on their faces when I show them they could build the same thing for £300...

Im even more amazed people still do it now, like, I get not everybody can build one or understand it all, but there are much better deals than things like Alienware..,

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Nice, started the thread text with Alienware. You didnt need to write anything more 🤣

I was always amazed back in the day when people would come up to me and say “I just bought this sweet pc from pc world, £2000!”. The look on their faces when I show them they could build the same thing for £300...

Im even more amazed people still do it now, like, I get not everybody can build one or understand it all, but there are much better deals than things like Alienware..,
I mean that's what marketing is supposed to do
Get you to pay for the highest price point for the product

I don't agree with their practices, but there's always going to be the unaware consumer, and there's always going to be a company to build a product for it

DESTROYA

There are many places that you can build your on PC in the USA like

They have pretty good sales sat times

or

There are many more if you google custom built desktops but you’ll see my point there are cheaper places to buy custom built PC‘s that you still get a warranty on

I don't understand why people bother with all this expensive shit when you can by Xbox One X for a fraction of the price, and get some pretty great results.
Because you can spend more and get better results? I mean, granted I wouldn't go down the pre built Alienware road personally, but I don't regret building my PC at all. It cost a fair bit more than a One X and it performs accordingly.

Top Bottom