• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Stupid Dumb Friend Decided To Upgrade His PC to These Specs at the Cost of $1360 USD (PC GAF, Get ITT!!!)

DESTROYA

Can someone rate my configuration, I've recently rejoined PC Gaming Master Race from Consoles.

CPU. Intel Core I7 9700K + Noctua CPU Cooler NH-U14S
MB: ROG STRIX Z390-H Gaming
PSU: SeaSonic GC-650W
RAM: 16 GB transcend 2666 DDR4 (crappy one didn't have more money)
GPU: Gigabyte 1060 OC 6 GB (old one, didn't want to upgrade yet)

Do I have a good base for future upgrade and current gaming. ?
You might want to upgrade the GPU sooner or later but everything else looks good.

It's a good card for a hold over as I have said and it's my current hold over card, but when the Nvidia 3000 series (ampere) comes out and AMD's RDNA 2 comes out, then it should be upgraded to whoever has the performance lead. It's only a few months away. It's an okay 1080P card for med to high settings, but don't expect ultra and all the other bells and whistles turned on. I can play Rust, Star Citizen, Battlefield 4, Borderlands 3, GTA 5, Witcher 3, Tomb Raider games, Dark Souls games, and, on and on without issue with the RX570. Is this person looking for ultra experience someday or are they okay with the RX570 for long term usage?
he bought the rig for two usages:
  1. Music Production
  2. PC gaming (Overwatch, CSGO, exclusive PC games not available on consoles)
He doesnt intent to play the latest games with the RX570 even though it can do 30FPS ultra with some of the newer games that's for sure.

I told him to get an AMD GPU if he has a freesync monitor which he did.

The price of the rig is obviously overpriced but the chassis is highly upgradable so like you, he can upgrade to a higher end GPU if he wants to pursue high end PC gaming in the future, hence the 850W.

Dennisonr

Neo Member
he bought the rig for two usages:
  1. Music Production
  2. PC gaming (Overwatch, CSGO, exclusive PC games not available on consoles)
He doesnt intent to play the latest games with the RX570 even though it can do 30FPS ultra with some of the newer games that's for sure.

I told him to get an AMD GPU if he has a freesync monitor which he did.

The price of the rig is obviously overpriced but the chassis is highly upgradable so like you, he can upgrade to a higher end GPU if he wants to pursue high end PC gaming in the future, hence the 850W.

Okay, it makes perfect sense. For those games, it's a good card. You said it's for music production also. Does the audio chipset on the motherboard support ASIO drivers? May need a separate audio card that supports ASIO drivers. I know there is ASIO4ALL that might work with the onboard audio chipset. Guess will have to try it out to see.

Okay, it makes perfect sense. For those games, it's a good card. You said it's for music production also. Does the audio chipset on the motherboard support ASIO drivers? May need a separate audio card that supports ASIO drivers. I know there is ASIO4ALL that might work with the onboard audio chipset. Guess will have to try it out to see.
I believe it does.....I'll need to check lol.

JRW

The R570 was mainly because the monitor supports AMD FreeSync. Thy could've easily gotten the RTX 2060 but freesync wouldn't work in this situation.

The value of freesync > RTX 2060

Nvidia unlocked Gsync support for Freesync monitors but i'd research the monitor model before going that route to see if anyone has tried it w/ Gsync & had any problems.

I've had no issues over the last year with Gsync enabled on a Dell D2719HGF + RTX 2070.

Nvidia unlocked Gsync support for Freesync monitors but i'd research the monitor model before going that route to see if anyone has tried it w/ Gsync & had any problems.

I've had no issues over the last year with Gsync enabled on a Dell D2719HGF + RTX 2070.
The main issue was the monitor was bought before buying the PC due to it being on sale.

My friend doesn't mind the rx570 as long as it plays Overwatch.

kizito

Your friend got raped by AlienWare. No matter what he intends to do with that computer, he overpaid largely. No matter if he only wants to play Overwatch, it’s a scam. I paid the same amount one year ago and my rig is better, that was one year ago...

So my friend finally opened his PC after delaying it for 6 months and.......he's already selling it on Craigslist.

#FuckPCGaming
Your friend isn't the brightest lightbulb of the bunch. And it's cringey to say, fuck ANY kind of gaming, whether it be pc or console. We all have our preferences, whether it be powerhouses or cheaper boxes, but all sorts of gaming is welcome.

No, that hashtag was my friends last words before he hung up the phone on me :(

I hope he's okay.....
Well that sucks for him. Hopefully he learned a lesson to do even the slightest bit of research before making ANY purchase, whether it be $5 bucks or in the thousands. Everyone I know with a PC is beyond happy, and refuse to go back to consoles because of how simple the platform is, and reap all the benefits it brings to the table.

You live and you learn, but that's an expensive mistake, especially when price and performance don't meet up. Doesn't help when your buddy can't think on their own two feet to begin with. Godspeed to your friend.

Well that sucks for him. Hopefully he learned a lesson to do even the slightest bit of research before making ANY purchase, whether it be $5 bucks or in the thousands. Everyone I know with a PC is beyond happy, and refuse to go back to consoles because of how simple the platform is, and reap all the benefits it brings to the table.

You live and you learn, but that's an expensive mistake, especially when price and performance don't meet up. Doesn't help when your buddy can't think on their own two feet to begin with. Godspeed to your friend.
He will definitely learn his mistake, believe me......

idrago01

Banned
Does your friend live in the states?

52nCSlo.png
That’s not bad at all for a prebuilt

Yeah that config is not worth what he paid for it. It is an honest mistake for someone that is not in the area and not following hardware and what prices it has. Done that as well.
One of the issues for PC gaming is exactly that. You need to actually follow what is going on, what is launching when, what is being sold at what prices to get a good deal. Otherwise you can be easily fooled into paying a lot for what is an outdated config.

Some people like to follow those trends and infos, but most people don't - and why should they - just to get some gaming going. It's complicated. I like to research a bit before any purchase, and I already keep following CPU's and GPUs, so it's easy to create a good config. But for a new person, it's too much info. The more you learn, it gets easier, but it's not effortless.

jaysius

Banned
Not for free it isn't. You'd need to pour yet more money down the drain on more RAM and another GPU. Also SLI/Crossfire is basically dead now, you'd be better off buying an entirely different and more powerful GPU and trying to sell the RX570X to recover as much as possible. Your friend got ripped off...but it's Alienware...so that was to be expected.

SLI was such a shitty beta program that should never have been put mainstreams until it was actually working properly, searching for fucking SLI bits that "kind of work" aka don't flash constantly in some weird way is the worst experience.

Fuck Nvidia for pretending SLI was a product that was ready to sell.

Top Bottom