• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Switch came with a mysterious icon on the home screen.

MDave

I posted this in the launch thread but that thread was moving so fast it, this might be something interesting unnoticed. Has anyone else's Switch come with this? Do I have a one-in-a-million? I'm guessing it was some kind of test software they had on a cart or installed on the system, but then accidently archived it instead of deleting it. Might be something hackers or tinkers might be interested in but its hard to tell what it was or what it did.

I did the firmware update on launch day and the icon stayed there.

If this is old then sorry about that, my first thread here!

Oh erm, ignore the 4GB micro sd, I just threw in an old one I had laying round until I picked up a 128GB. These pics I took around launch.

9pJ9WKz.jpg

LQj7XmZ.jpg

6zQarq4.jpg

qJMLb3i.jpg

Also, it can't be a coincidence that the Switch black theme's dark grey background is the exact same color as the desktop dark NeoGaf theme background, is it? Hah!

_Clash_

Is your Zelda digital?

Heard something similar involved with removing carts etc and them not being recognized until you cycle the cart

EDIT hard drive space indicates Zelda is a cart, cycle the cart and see if it's still there

MDave

I'm more curious about where you found a 4GB microSD in 2017.

Hah I just had an old one laying around, but I have since got a 128GB one in there :p

Is your Zelda digital?

Heard something similar involved with removing carts etc and them not being recognized until you cycle the cart

It's physical. I have inserted it once only and have not taken it out since hah!

Justinh

Oh, I was hoping it would be a The Net starring Sandra Bullock kinda thing. That is weird. Would bother me a tiny bit because it'd make me think someone already used it.

Is there a way to "delete" that 0 sized file?

It reminds me of some early wii's that needed an install disc. It's not likely to help a hacker, but it would likely be an interesting curiosity when/if switch gets hacked.

My suggestion would be to do your best to preserve it, but not test it like it's sacred. It's your system and I say enjoy it however you want.

Did you buy your switch at a garage sale with the switch logo wiped off and a crumpled paper note that says N SWITCH and after you found that mysterious icon, the game called to you?

Fandangox

It's probably just left-over data for the new on-development F-Zero game that somehow ended up just on your switch. Happens sometimes.

MDave

Alright so looks like I'm definitely not the only one that has this out of the box. I will keep it on there anyway, just in case one day we can find out what exactly it is/was. I powered it off completely with the Zelda cart out, powered back on and it's still there.

Would be interesting to know how it got there in the first place!

Top Bottom