• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My theory on why WB decided to release the #snydercut

RCU005

I think the snydercut is more important for WB than just pleasing the fans, and it will affect the future of the DCEU. I think they just go themselves into a corner and are trying to get out, and that way out is the snydercut.

The reason I think this is because they still have a successful Wonder Woman and Aquaman, which are characters that come from the universe that Snyder was planning out. I don't know what will happen with Flash after the incident with Ezra Miller and a fan, but if he stays, he is another character that belongs in the same universe with the same actors and actress.

Shazam couldn't ignore the universe and had a stand-in for Superman, but it's clearly portraying Snyder Superman, and if they could've made a deal with Henry Cavill, he might have appeared fully in the movie.

WB knows they can't just throw it all away! They are remaking Batman, but that's not an issue since Batfleck was already an old, worn-out Batman that could've passed the torch sooner or later (in universe), and also because Ben Affleck wouldn't play the part for long.

So, I think WB knows that if the Snydercut is successful -which it will be, regardless if the movie is good or bad- they can make the excuse that since the unprecedented success of the movie (you know everyone will watch it at least for the curiosity), they will continue with the characters.

Even though the stories will be different and the overall DCEU will be different, they will not have to diverge a lot and start over from zero. That would mean recast their two most important DECU characters: Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Right now, I think Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman is as important as Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man for DC.

Another reason is that that would allow WB to do another Justice League, or an assemble movie faster. If the new Batman is successful, they'll want him to join other characters ASAP.

Yet another reason is that they could redeem Henry Cavill's Superman, which I think he has been the best Superman recently, and even though he has been wasted a lot so far, they know the actor still has the support of the fans to play the character. They know the fans are not angry about the actor or the character, but how it has been underutilized. They could correct that.

In conclusion. WB would want the snydercut to be successful to continue on what's already been done, instead of being forced to start over, which would take much more time, much more money, and it would be a risk with the fans. (like what happened with Spiderman and the many reboots).

Do you agree? Let me know what you think

ManaByte

Gold Member
WB isn't releasing it. HBO Max is because they needed something big to gain subscribers.

Also Snyder himself said this week it's for closure to "satisfy" the story started in Man Of Steel.

After joking that the film takes place in the "Snyder-verse," the director added said that his "main focus" for his version of JUSTICE LEAGUE is to "satisfy" the story which began in MAN OF STEEL and continued through BATMAN V. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE. Snyder admits that the theatrical version of JUSTICE LEAGUE probably fits "tighter in continuity" in terms of the DCEU films which followed, such as AQUAMAN and the upcoming WONDER WOMAN 1984, so it sounds like it's best to consider the SnyderCut as its own thing rather than try to shoe-horn it into the current DCEU continuity.

DESTROYA

It will be interesting to see what the Snyder cut brings to the table but then again I didn’t think the JL film was terrible except for the Flash parts .

DC/WB will continue with the characters if their individual movies are successful. There is no need for a Snyder cut to justify that.
They will need to start over no matter what though. You cannot continue after the double whammy of BvS/JL. DCEU right now is dead; Cavill and Affleck are not coming back.

Reboot doesn't require recasting successful characters. There's no correlation there. Wonder Wonman/Aquaman could just be alt timeline version, same actors. Don't even need that tbh.

ManaByte

Gold Member
DC/WB will continue with the characters if their individual movies are successful. There is no need for a Snyder cut to justify that.
They will need to start over no matter what though. You cannot continue after the double whammy of BvS/JL. DCEU right now is dead; Cavill and Affleck are not coming back.

Reboot doesn't require recasting successful characters. There's no correlation there. Wonder Wonman/Aquaman could just be alt timeline version, same actors. Don't even need that tbh.

They're starting over because they just gave JJ Abrams $500 million. Bad Robot is doing Justice League Dark and you better believe if JJ makes his own Superman he's going to want to cast his own younger Superman.

The only people who are safe are Gal and Jason since their movies are billion dollar franchises.

Ezra chokeslammed away his career.

Batman ruined Affleck's life and he's happy now just banging Ana de Armas every day.

Top Bottom