• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Wii component cables are in! And they fix overscan?

First off: WOW @ the clarity. I don't know how I've been living in 480i. Even the menu looks sharp and crisp. Can't wait to pop in a game.

But yeah, my Nintendo cables came in just now, and after hooking them up, I've noticed that the massive overscan I used to experience is gone now. I didn't even know that was a symptom of cables, I thought it was my TV (I get some overscan when using my PC via HDMI). This is fantastic! Unexpected bonus value. The only downside is that now I see the notorious black borders in the Opera browser. But I'll take it.

l_c

Banned
Yo, sorry to drop this in this thread, but, I was thinking about the use of the classic controller. Seeing as how I cant make my own thread about this idea, I'm gonna drop it here.

I read that the classic controller could only play the VC games.
Why can't they make use of it so that you can play a Metroid Prime/Zelda style game using lock on and such with the 'classic controller' then in certain instances or zones make use of the 'Wiimote' in an almost Time crsis battle mode? You can use A button to dodge back and forth behind a wall and have a shoot out

Imagine metroid prime 3 with a function like this.

pj325is said:
overscan isn't a cables issue, you can fix it through the service menu on your tv

Hmm, then is it possible that there was just overscan on that particular input channel (AV2) and that there's none on this one (CVI)? TV tech noob here.

pj

Banned
BrodiemanTTR said:
Hmm, then is it possible that there was just overscan on that particular input channel (AV2) and that there's none on this one (CVI)? TV tech noob here.

yes

fubarduck

BrodiemanTTR said:
First off: WOW @ the clarity. I don't know how I've been living in 480i. Even the menu looks sharp and crisp. Can't wait to pop in a game.

But yeah, my Nintendo cables came in just now, and after hooking them up, I've noticed that the massive overscan I used to experience is gone now. I didn't even know that was a symptom of cables, I thought it was my TV (I get some overscan when using my PC via HDMI). This is fantastic! Unexpected bonus value. The only downside is that now I see the notorious black borders in the Opera browser. But I'll take it.

Actually, your HDTV is just handling the 480p signal differently than 480i. A lot of HDTVs have massive overscan on 480i signals, but less or no overscan on 480p signals.

The Wii UNDERSCANS by 5% in both 480i and 480p, so there is no difference in the Wii's output either way, it's just how your TV handles the signal.

I'm a bit disappointed that the Wii still has the underscan in 480p, since those of us with HDTVs that don't overscan 480p signals will have small black bars on all sides. An option to adjust the underscan or turn it off within the Wii for a future firmware update is on my wishlist.

threeball

Banned
l_c said:
Yo, sorry to drop this in this thread, but, I was thinking about the use of the classic controller. Seeing as how I cant make my own thread about this idea, I'm gonna drop it here.

Why can't they make use of it so that you can play a Metroid Prime/Zelda style game using lock on and such with the 'classic controller' then in certain instances or zones make use of the 'Wiimote' in an almost Time crsis battle mode? You can use A button to dodge back and forth behind a wall and have a shoot out

i lolled in real life

LakeEarth

Mine has mad overscan, but I adjusted the TV to fix the 360 overscan so I don't want to change anything cause I'd screw that up.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
l_c said:

This post is goddamn hilarious :lol

Bildi

l_c said:
Some crap

Thank god you can't make you own threads yet. :lol And you're shocked that junior members can't make threads......

To OP - glad to hear it fixed the overscan and that it looks good. I'm in the market for a HDTV and my biggest concern is that SD stuff looks like garbage.

l_c

Banned
Bildi said:
Thank god you can't make you own threads yet. :lol And you're shocked that junior members can't make threads......

Thank god? Why? Was it such a bad idea?

fubarduck said:
Actually, your HDTV is just handling the 480p signal differently than 480i. A lot of HDTVs have massive overscan on 480i signals, but less or no overscan on 480p signals.

The Wii UNDERSCANS by 5% in both 480i and 480p, so there is no difference in the Wii's output either way, it's just how your TV handles the signal.

I'm a bit disappointed that the Wii still has the underscan in 480p, since those of us with HDTVs that don't overscan 480p signals will have small black bars on all sides. An option to adjust the underscan or turn it off within the Wii for a future firmware update is on my wishlist.

Interesting. I had no idea.

I'm very pleased with how this thread has developed.

l_c

Banned
Cauliflower of Love said:
Tons of threads to jump on, and you jump on a cable thread? :lol

:lol

It only had one post...It is Wii hardware related...

I'm just really curious why a game with those functions hasn't been created?

Metroid prime crsis 4tw

Saoh

l_c said:

:lol the hell??!

Branduil

l_c said:

kyon02021mvtd1.gif

Alpha_eX

l_c said:
It only had one post...It is Wii hardware related...

I'm just really curious why a game with those functions hasn't been created?

Metroid prime crsis 4tw

You made me laugh out my toast.

Your idea is stupid, switching between controllers midgame is retarded.

I don't see how it'd be pratical unplugging your nunchuck, finding your VC controller and plugging that in all while dodging bullets.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
l_c said:

:lol

acidviper said:
how did you get 480i without component cables?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Saoh

l_c said:
Mama mia, yall can't just elaborate and tell me why or why not this idea couldn't just be amazing

first, you're actually proposing a "time crisis" gameplay in a metroid game!! a t-i-m-e-c-r-i-s-i-s gameplay in m-e-t-r-o-i-d-p-r-i-m-e!! :lol

and second, everything you said, the nunchuck can do it better. period. :lol :lol

mods, i think he won a tag already. you make it up :lol

l_c

Banned
Alpha_eX said:
You made me laugh out my toast.

Your idea is stupid, switching between controllers midgame is retarded.

I don't see how it'd be pratical unplugging your nunchuck, finding your VC controller and plugging that in all while dodging bullets.

apparently your brain DIDN'T grasp the concept....

you play with the CLASSIC CONTROLLER that is connected to your wiimote.... while being able to play GC style metroid prime.
When encountering a boss a cinema can engage showing off the boss or puzzle to complete. During that time you can grab your wiimote and engage in a Time Crsis esque mode were you can hide n peek out to engage a boss.

Its wierd it hasnt been mentioned yet.

l_c

Banned
Saoh said:
first, you're actually proposing a "time crisis" gameplay in a metroid game!! a t-i-m-e-c-r-i-s-i-s gameplay in m-e-t-r-o-i-d-p-r-i-m-e!! :lol

and second, everything you said, the nunchuck can do it better. period. :lol :lol

mods, i think he won a tag already. you make it up :lol

Time Crsis is just an EXAMPLE of the possible diffrent genres' you could incorporate into one another.
Using the nunchuck has its strong points but it also has weak points. The ability to use a classic controller with the Wiimote can offer a mega variety of mixup in game play.

l_c said:

I had to read this at least three time to even try and make sense of what you are even trying to suggest...

That's about as functional as saying you have a car that has a motorcycle attached and wouldn't it be cool if you could just jump onto the motorcycle and drive that instead of the car when you want an even more awesome experience.

Exactly.

Oh, and you could have posted this in the Official Wii thread and not this cable thread. *pats Brodie* It's okay, maybe your next thread won't get hijacked.

Alpha_eX

l_c said:

you play with the CLASSIC CONTROLLER that is connected to your wiimote.... while being able to play GC style metroid prime.
When encountering a boss a cinema can engage showing off the boss or puzzle to complete. During that time you can grab your wiimote and engage in a Time Crsis esque mode were you can hide n peek out to engage a boss.

Ok, so you're playing with the classic controller, it's not a playstion so don't use capitals.
When the boss comes you put the controller away and start using the remote to shoot it?

Since it's an FPS type game, why not just use one method and stick to it. You don't need the classic controller to impliment your silly time crisis idea anyway since you control the game with the nunchuck and ... I can't be bothered to explain but it's a silly idea.

fubarduck

l_c said:

I'm in Austin so I'll go ahead and drive to Retro to relay your message to the boss right away! Go ahead and get your resume ready, because he might be calling you to offer a developer position on the spot.

I can't believe we wasted so many posts in this thread talking about the subject!!!!!!

l_c

Banned
fubarduck said:
I'm in Austin so I'll go ahead and drive to Retro to relay your message to the boss right away! Go ahead and get your resume ready, because he might be calling you to offer a developer position on the spot.

I can't believe we wasted so many posts in this thread talking about the subject!!!!!!

AUTOMATIC haters

l_c

Banned
Alpha_eX said:
Ok, so you're playing with the classic controller, it's not a playstion so don't use capitals.
When the boss comes you put the controller away and start using the remote to shoot it?

Since it's an FPS type game, why not just use one method and stick to it. You don't need the classic controller to impliment your silly time crisis idea anyway since you control the game with the nunchuck and ... I can't be bothered to explain but it's a silly idea.

So why can't the idea be polished then?

Instead of a metroid how about a new game all together that incorperated the two controllers?

No creative thoughts can be expressed without getting shit?
I guarantee the idea would be fun compaired to half the shit put out today

[Nintex]

l_c said:

Instead of a metroid how about a new game all together that incorperated the two controllers?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Pud

Banned
l_c said:

Alright, he may have rightly gotten some flak for Metroid, but I'm sure somebody can make a game with the 2 controllers (wii remote for pointing, classic control for????). Heck, if Nintendo releases the battery pack clip for the Wii remote like I remember the rumours mentioning (hell the classic controller HAS clip holders already!), you can have a classic controller with pointer functionality and accelerometers (more functionality than the PS3 pad).

[Nintex]

Pud said:
Alright, he may have rightly gotten some flak for Metroid, but I'm sure somebody can make a game with the 2 controllers (wii remote for pointing, classic control for????). Heck, if Nintendo releases the battery pack clip for the Wii remote like I remember the rumours mentioning (hell the classic controller HAS clip holders already!), you can have a classic controller with pointer functionality and accelerometers (more functionality than the PS3 pad).
Isn't that why we have the Nunchuck?

Saoh

Pud said:

DualShock 3.

and how would you hold ALL that in your hands?!? awful.

im happy with nuncuck+wiimote. thanks.

Alpha_eX

Pud said:

Selotape your remote to the back of your classic controller and come back tell us how comfortable it is and easy to use the remote to point.

Using a controller with a remote on the back for pointing would be awful.

l_c

Banned
Saoh said:
DualShock 3.

and how would you hold ALL that in your hands?!? awful.

im happy with nuncuck+wiimote. thanks.

Wii mote on the lap, Classic in the hands... Having a crazy shoot out in a car scene with the wii mote or having a crazy epic battle with the wiimote.

Pure control goodness with the classic... makes good scense to have a game use both.

Top Bottom