• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Wii U died and I lived to tell about it

andymcc

Banned
I don't know about the Gamecube, but the Wii's launch really wasn't free of some common issues. There was a problem widespread enough to become known related to the GPU the launch batch of Wiis. The sides of the screen would begin to turn red and yellow, and then white dots would start to persist across the screen in random spots.

More than a few people got this, including me. I called Nintendo support and the rep I got hadn't heard of it personally yet, but when he checked trouble tickets in the system he found that it was a known issue they were receiving. I had a replacement system within a week.

However, I will say that the number of bricked consoles due to what sounds like a very buggy firmware revision is worrying. It sounds like units are bricking when various simultaneous operations occur that cause a conflict.

I bought the Wii at launch. The only issue I had with it was controller desync issues. Other than that, no hardware locks. I think my launch unit has maybe locked up once or twice and that was due to homebrew stuff.

My Wii-U, on the other hand, has hard five or so hard locks, during Nintendoland, Mario U and the OS. It hasn't happened in a week, so maybe, like other GAFfers have said, it was because of shitty netcode.

netBuff

No one should have been worried about that considering Nintendo did the same thing with Wii and 3DS.

Being dependent on the manufacturers good-will is never a preferable thing, especially when in most cases it is much easier to contact the retailer instead of the manufacturer in case of a defect product (especially such a short time after purchase).

People are rightfully still worried, the situation is still unacceptable.

I am holding out on getting a WiiU until early summer, but I just wanted to stop by and tip my hat to you fine men and women that are working out the kinks for the rest of us. You're all far braver and more patient than I could ever be.

Z3M0G

I feel it is very important to find out if he regains access to the shop... and if the outage was related or not.

Sounds like a software bug where something is getting corrupted on your system... the WiiU has no form of hard reset? It probably can't afford to since accounts are bound to hardware. It is likely persisting a lot of stuff. But something in there must be getting corrupted due to the status of your account.

I'm sure more cases will pop up over time... and a software patch will eventually overcome it. But who knows when that may happen...

RagnarokX

I can connect to the Wii Shop Channel in Wii mode, even during this supposed maintenance period. Still getting that error when I try to connect to the eShop.

RagnarokX

Update: Looks like the system maintenance cleared up whatever problem was causing repaired Wii Us to be unable to connect to the eShop. I wonder if that was the reason for the maintenance in the first place.

Anyway, I am currently "redownloading" NSMBU; so yes, you can do that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Update: Looks like the system maintenance cleared up whatever problem was causing repaired Wii Us to be unable to connect to the eShop. I wonder if that was the reason for the maintenance in the first place.

Well, this is good news.

This almost sounds like an internal policy / eshop framework is being modified as we speak.

Maddness

Let us not forget.

F0Fgc.jpg

FVumR.jpg

deviljho

I got my mine back today from Nintendo repair. Turn around was very fast, 9 days with Thanksgiving in between. It was hard locking like crazy and they offered to let me send it in, so I did. Nintendo's service here is top notch, but the launch has still sucked.

After thoroughly testing your Nintendo component(s), we could not duplicate the problem you were experiencing. We have replaced your original system.

Thanks for making me feel just a little shitty, Nintendo.

Anyway, I got this back... HYPE first the second wave of launch games aka the real launch. Wonderful 101, Aliens: CM, Pikmin 3, Lego City, MH3U. Cabela. Rapala. Jeopordy and more!

Good to hear about that but Nintendo has give users a way to manually unlink their account at least without having to go to support.

Inclined to wait for a revision until i get one BUT i just know Nintendo is gonna remove Wii compatibility or something crazy like that so i might get the first iteration regardless :(

Penguin

Inclined to wait for a revision until i get one BUT i just know Nintendo is gonna remove Wii compatibility or something crazy like that so i might get the first iteration regardless :(

How common is that?

The DS didn't lose GBA support until the DSi.. like 5 years later
The Wii only lost GameCube support last year.. 5 years later

And how often do they release iterations of their home consoles early?

they have done that with the GBA, DS and Wii... it's not crazy to think it can happen again.

With those it was because they wanted to save money. They won't be able to save any money whatsoever by removing the Wii BC from Wii U. I guess if a security flaw was found somehow, then I could see it, but that would be with a firmware update and not a revision. It's more likely they would just fix the flaw than removing the BC.

So am I correct in understanding that the current status on this is that if your Wii is lost, stolen, broken, repaired, ect. as long as you notify Nintendo Customer service before you try logging onto either your new console or repaired system, your downloads will be registered and ready to download from the eShop with your same NINID? Correct away if I'm wrong in any way. :/

RagnarokX

Update: I called Nintendo and they had already shipped my Nintendo Land disc. I figure that in trying to get my Wii U to me as quick as possible, they sent my new console out before they had time to open up the one I sent in and retrieve the disc. It should be here tomorrow.

So am I correct in understanding that the current status on this is that if your Wii is lost, stolen, broken, repaired, ect. as long as you notify Nintendo Customer service before you try logging onto either your new console or repaired system, your downloads will be registered and ready to download from the eShop with your same NINID? Correct away if I'm wrong in any way. :/

That seems to be completely within Wii U's capabilities. The question is how difficult Nintendo will be about it. With previous consoles, you had to send in a copy of a police report or insurance to prove your console was stolen or lost.

According to the Wii U eShop manual, Wii U software will work for anyone on a console that has the NNID that bought the software license. Deleting that NNID makes you unable to redownload. Since the ability to redownload is tied to the specific NNID, I'm assuming the license is tied to your NNID, and thus deleting the NNID with the license should render software unplayable. I don't see why Nintendo couldn't let you move your NNID around as long as it can only be on 1 console at a time.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
That seems to be completely within Wii U's capabilities. The question is how difficult Nintendo will be about it. With previous consoles, you had to send in a copy of a police report or insurance to prove your console was stolen or lost.

According to the Wii U eShop manual, Wii U software will work for anyone on a console that has the NNID that bought the software license. Deleting that NNID makes you unable to redownload. Since the ability to redownload is tied to the specific NNID, I'm assuming the license is tied to your NNID, and thus deleting the NNID with the license should render software unplayable. I don't see why Nintendo couldn't let you move your NNID around as long as it can only be on 1 console at a time.

I suspect that the backend infrastructure for this is not fully ready. Recall that license transfers for Xbox 360 content had to be done in part through the Xbox.com website with your Windows ID login. The website login for Miiverse / NNiD doesn't exist yet but it's coming.

After that I wouldn't be surprised if more of an account management tool shows up on the site.

Upon consideration, it was only recently that Microsoft finally got a more conventional "login from any Xbox" system in place that didn't require manually transferring files to a USB device etc to move your gamertag. Nintendo is not that far behind what's considered state of the art, despite the early day FUD over this issue.

I think there just needs to be a little more media pressure put on them to explain their long term plans for this situation.

RagnarokX

I suspect that the backend infrastructure for this is not fully ready. Recall that license transfers for Xbox 360 content had to be done in part through the Xbox.com website with your Windows ID login. The website login for Miiverse / NNiD doesn't exist yet but it's coming.

After that I wouldn't be surprised if more of an account management tool shows up on the site.

Upon consideration, it was only recently that Microsoft finally got a more conventional "login from any Xbox" system in place that didn't require manually transferring files to a USB device etc to move your gamertag. Nintendo is not that far behind what's considered state of the art, despite the early day FUD over this issue.

I think there just needs to be a little more media pressure put on them to explain their long term plans for this situation.

Aye. As I said before, letting you transfer NNIDs clearly wasn't a priority for Nintendo at launch. There are few reasons why you would need to transfer your ID to another system that wouldn't involve sending it in for repairs anyway. But the framework appears to be there.

Chiggs

So I just fired up Zombi U for the first time and I noticed some red artifacts in certain areas of the game. They usually appear in the darkest areas and disappear as I move. Is this the GPU taking a shit, or is it the game?

NateDrake

So I just fired up Zombi U for the first time and I noticed some red artifacts in certain areas of the game. They usually appear in the darkest areas and disappear as I move. Is this the GPU taking a shit, or is it the game?

Would need to see it to know for sure. But since it disappears I'd say it is the game.

Psykotik

mother fucker.

i think my wii u is dead.

was working fine two days ago.

turned it on tonight and the blue light just kept on blinking and the gamepad wouldn't connect.

wtf.

Psykotik

so, i bought a new wii u to replace my dead one.

wasn't able to have it sent back to nintendo because i imported it and i live halfway across the world.

anyway, what really sucks is that i CANNOT use my old NNID from the original wii u on my new wii u.

it wont let me because it's linked to the old wii u.

searching the internets, it also seems that there's no way for nintendo to unlink the NNID from their end either, short of sending in the dead console.

of course, all my prior purchases and my leftover eshop money on that NNID are now stuck on the dead wii u with no way to transfer any of that to the new one. this really sucks!

i'm really hoping nintendo announces some sort of proper account feature with a way to unlink NNIDs from dead consoles or transfer account profiles etc at E3 or in the future.

what bullshit.

GulAtiCa

I know you said you imported it, so you might not be able to send it in. But try contact Nintendo Support, the version of the region you got it in. If you bought a NA Wii U, contact NOA Support. They might help. (won't hurt to try)

inner-G

Banned
I think my Wii U is dying.

Disc read errors on NSMBU, on 2 different (flawless) copies.

Other stuff works fine (WWHD, Nintendoland), but Mario does not. It starts, asks me about Spot Pass, then exit with error 150-1031 :(

cacildo

I think my Wii U is dying.

Disc read errors on NSMBU, on 2 different (flawless) copies.

Other stuff works fine (WWHD, Nintendoland), but Mario does not. It starts, asks me about Spot Pass, then exit with error 150-1031 :(

Ouch. This is sad.

At the moment, i dont have any kind of problems with my disc drive. But for all every disc based videogame i get, i always try to put some digital solution because I KNOW disc drives fail after some time.

I also HATE disc drives because of that. They fail. They always die on you someday.

With the Ps2 it was the "HDD Loader" (remember this? I had it right after it was released. Got the PS2 network adapter only because of it)

With the Wii it was the homebrew channer and its bunch of USB loaders.

And now its the WiiU eshop. My only disc game is ZombiU, that came with the system. The rest is all digital

(Well, since i live in brasil and its almost impossible to import games with a good price, digital its always my only way to be)

Question: Why does i have a DVD player since, i dont know, 2005, i watched one billion movies on it, low quality discs burned at home also..... and yet the damn thing still works while videogames die like flies?

inner-G

Banned
Ouch. This is sad.

At the moment, i dont have any kind of problems with my disc drive. But for all every disc based videogame i get, i always try to put some digital solution because I KNOW disc drives fail after some time.

I also HATE disc drives because of that. They fail. They always die on you someday.

With the Ps2 it was the "HDD Loader" (remember this? I had it right after it was released. Got the PS2 network adapter only because of it)

With the Wii it was the homebrew channer and its bunch of USB loaders.

And now its the WiiU eshop. My only disc game is ZombiU, that came with the system. The rest is all digital

(Well, since i live in brasil and its almost impossible to import games with a good price, digital its always my only way to be)

Question: Why does i have a DVD player since, i dont know, 2005, i watched one billion movies on it, low quality discs burned at home also..... and yet the damn thing still works while videogames die like flies?
Yeah it looks like it happens a lot, I googled the error code and saw a lot of posts about it. It sucks because I bought it used and am probably out of warranty

OrochiJR

First of all, I'm very sorry for digging this ancient thread up, but I searched for a Wii U OT and didn't finde one, at least none that wasn't locked.

My Wii U was loading an update yesterday but my internet got disconnected during the process as it sometimes does, without apparent reason, due to my shitty ISP. When I later tried to power the console on, the blue light goes on as normal, but the TV doesn't show anything. The gamepad seems to work at first, the quick start menu appears as usual, but when I click any option (which would normally be the time when the pad tries to connect to the console) it says to get the pad closer to the console since it can't be found. However the pad was pretty much right next to it, within a radius of half a metre or so. So my best guess is that the update erased some old system files on the console but was interrupted while installing the updated ones due to the internet disconnecting.

Now I will ship it to Nintendo for repairing, and this leads me to the question:
Did anyone already have this issue, or a similar one? Was Nintendo able to fix your system while retaining your profile and savegames? The profile is only my secondary concern since that should be easy to recover along with purchases made in the eshop, but the savegames are what worries me most. I spent 18 hours over the last week on The Last Story (playing this on Wii U) and wanted to finish it over the weekend. I have also lots of hours in MK8, Hyrule Warriors unlocked tons of stuff in Smash, as well as played through all the main Mario games and DKC:TF. Luckily I haven't started Bayonetta 2 yet. I realize this is a first world problem sort of thing, but losing all the saves and progress is eating away at me. The guy at customer support of course told me that they usually try to salvage all the saved data, but there is no guarantee depending on what the root of the problem actually is and how it has to be fixed.
So, did anybody here have a similar issue, and did you get your console back with saves intact?

Ninja Dom

That's an odd thing to happen because downloading the update and installing the update are two different processes - on most devices including the Wii U.

I've had my Wii U have an interrupted download of an update file (during launch) and I was able to reboot and recontinue the download before it installed the update.

But a fault happened to yours so there's evidence that the download process isn't full proof.

Garou

First of all, I'm very sorry for digging this ancient thread up, but I searched for a Wii U OT and didn't finde one, at least none that wasn't locked.

My Wii U was loading an update yesterday but my internet got disconnected during the process as it sometimes does, without apparent reason, due to my shitty ISP. When I later tried to power the console on, the blue light goes on as normal, but the TV doesn't show anything. The gamepad seems to work at first, the quick start menu appears as usual, but when I click any option (which would normally be the time when the pad tries to connect to the console) it says to get the pad closer to the console since it can't be found. However the pad was pretty much right next to it, within a radius of half a metre or so. So my best guess is that the update erased some old system files on the console but was interrupted while installing the updated ones due to the internet disconnecting.

Now I will ship it to Nintendo for repairing, and this leads me to the question:
Did anyone already have this issue, or a similar one? Was Nintendo able to fix your system while retaining your profile and savegames? The profile is only my secondary concern since that should be easy to recover along with purchases made in the eshop, but the savegames are what worries me most. I spent 18 hours over the last week on The Last Story (playing this on Wii U) and wanted to finish it over the weekend. I have also lots of hours in MK8, Hyrule Warriors unlocked tons of stuff in Smash, as well as played through all the main Mario games and DKC:TF. Luckily I haven't started Bayonetta 2 yet. I realize this is a first world problem sort of thing, but losing all the saves and progress is eating away at me. The guy at customer support of course told me that they usually try to salvage all the saved data, but there is no guarantee depending on what the root of the problem actually is and how it has to be fixed.
So, did anybody here have a similar issue, and did you get your console back with saves intact?

Wait did you manually power down the WiiU when the download was interrupted?

Adaren

There was this thread not too long ago.

As I posted in the thread, this only happens if my TV isn't fully on when I start up the Wii U. Like if my TV is showing the blue "no input" screen and I start up the Wii U, everything is jolly. If I haven't turned it on yet or it's still booting up, the Wii U will give me the error.

Which is totally bizarre and not how it used to work.

But at least you aren't alone!

OrochiJR

Wait did you manually power down the WiiU when the download was interrupted?

Nope, the console was on standby and the orange light was on (indicating an update). After some time when the orange light was still going I noticed on my PC and router that the internet connection was busted. Sadly at the time I was not cautious enough and can't recall exactly if I turned the console on while the orange light was still on, but I believe so. Anyway, after I switched the console on it didn't work.

joesgro

Neo Member
When I later tried to power the console on, the blue light goes on as normal, but the TV doesn't show anything. The gamepad seems to work at first, the quick start menu appears as usual, but when I click any option (which would normally be the time when the pad tries to connect to the console) it says to get the pad closer to the console since it can't be found. However the pad was pretty much right next to it, within a radius of half a metre or so.

While I never disconnected while updating, I receive the same result as you described fairly often. If I unplug the console completely and plug it back in it then boots up as normal. You may have already tried that, but if not please give it a shot.

Edit: Just saw Adaren's post, and the OP of the thread he links to mirrors my experience.

Top Bottom