• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

vilmer_

So I was just in the middle of a great 3 player Sacred 2 game and the screen started going all funny with pink, red, etc. Tried to restart it and I'm greeted with "System error. Contact Xbox Customer Support." In big letters at the bottom it says E 74. Is this thing screwed? I'm not even sure it's under warranty anymore, it's been about 3 years... 1-800-4MYXBOX is the number I should be calling? This freaking SUUUUCKS.

vilmer_

Psychotext said:
Use the website.

I ended up calling them because it said my console had already been registered :/ In either case, the guy set it up on the phone for me and now I'm just waiting for the shipping label to be sent to me and/or show up when I click it on the website... It's sure taking a while, I want to get this sucker to UPS asap.

vilmer_

How long does it generally take for them to send you the shipping label? I had to call again because I didn't get one the first time, and I still haven't received one after calling the second time...

otmane

I bought a refurbished xbox 360 pro (Yeah I know I shouldn't have... but well, it was very cheap and comes with 1 year warranty...).

When I try to do the initial setup, in the step for creating an offline profile: I type my name then a loading screen appears with the message : creating profile and then it goes back to the screen for entering the name!
I cannot go past this step... So I have a beautiful white brick sitting in my living room :(

Do someone understands the issue ? should I call Microsoft customer service?

Cant you just take it back to where you bought it from?

Other than that, I'd suggest trying it without the HDD plugged in, which may or may not make a difference.

Rekwest

vilmer_ said:
How long does it generally take for them to send you the shipping label? I had to call again because I didn't get one the first time, and I still haven't received one after calling the second time...

3 days for me.

otmane

Already tried without the Hard Drive.
And I bought it from a website that has a crappy customer service, if I send it back to them, I may have to waith weeks or months before receiving a new one.

Usual Disclaimer: If I can't tell when your 360 died / was replaced, you aren't included in the figures. That's basically anyone that just posted to say that their 360 died last year some time or they've had x dead 360s and gave no more information. Also, if you posted to say your 360 was acting up and never came back to confirm its death / shipment / getting a new one... you aren't included either.

Don't forget that NPD US numbers are simply included to give a rough idea of how many 360s are out there for each particular month.

2s8ras9.png

In the figures so far are 1349 dead / replaced 360s, 53 of which were falcon models.

This Month

Drive: 2
Freezing: 2
Multiple: 0
Noisy: 0
Other Red Light: 7
PSU: 0
RRoD: 29
Video: 2

4 of the 5 refurb failures were due to RRoD.

Overall Falcon Issues
1RL: 9
DOA: 5
Drive: 1
Freezing: 1
RRoD: 32
Video: 5

Overall Jasper Issues
PSU: 1

Aselith

Damn it, I thought I was passed this. RRoD today. I'm awaiting the shipping stuff. I got it once before and was still on the Gamestop warranty luckily. Not so lucky this time. I made it to about 1 year and 3 months for this one though so it lasted a bit longer. I'm crying currently.

Zzoram

I'm on my 2nd console (1st refurb) and it got 3 red lights like 4 months ago. However, it never did it again, and I've been playing WAY more ever since, hoping to see it again before calling it in. I haven't even had any crashes.

Did it cure itself?

Jswanko

Ughhhh my Elite just died. Of course it's right before the new Fallout DLC. Im having the "already registered" problem but I bought my xbox brand new. Guess Ill call tomorrow and get it taken care of.

Zzoram said:
I'm on my 2nd console (1st refurb) and it got 3 red lights like 4 months ago. However, it never did it again, and I've been playing WAY more ever since, hoping to see it again before calling it in. I haven't even had any crashes.

Did it cure itself?
It's quite possible for a power spike / brownout / blackout to cause a temporary RRoD. That may have been what happened to your machine.

Ramirez

So how does this work now? Do I just call them for a shipping label and that's it? My Elite RROD for the 2nd time about a month ago, and I've been too lazy to call it in. I read on here a few weeks ago that they don't send coffins anymore, so I was wondering how it goes now.

This is my 8th RROD as well, my account was hacked a few months ago and I never got my email attached to it back, and my Elite was registered to that email already so I have to put up with the 18004MYXBOX BS. :(

I wish a MS rep would just help me from here. :lol :p

Hey guys, My 360 is having the stupid E-73 error. I leave it until it gives me 2 red rings and then it's back to normal. It keeps on giving me the E-73 error like every week and every time I leave it on until It starts working again. Any ideas on what I should do so it stops having this stupid problem? or should I get it to RROD?

Jive Turkey said:
Wa-hoo! My 360 finally RRODed on me! I was beginning to feel left out.

Ha, is this becoming like a badge of honor, sad.

My Jasper has been great so far (knocks wood), the thing never froze or anything, good stuff.

Vyer

So.

My 360 is a Pro from the first year. It finally RROD on me today. I looked it up and the standard warranty is dead but I'm covered under the extended 3 year apparently.

Now, my brother in law had bought a new pro a year ago and it died on him. He sent if off to repairs twice, and each time got a system that also red ringed. Eventually he just bought a new system.

So I am a little less than enthused to just send it off for repairs. However...it wouldn't cost me any money.

That means my options are:
1. Send off for repairs (you will get a refurb in return, right? How long does this usually take?)
2. Just buy an Arcade (GS will give me 60 bucks for my broken one) and stick my HDD on it.

Recommendations?

They're both good options. I'd take my chances on the refurb for the moment simply because it doesn't take too long for the repair to be done (1 week for me in the UK).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yay, I was worried this 360 was going too well, silent, never ever heated up once, not even the power brick and yet... what a joy that today morning I got those beautiful red lights sing together and wake me up with my breakfast!

:-/ Fuck, my 2nd one, piece of shit of a console... I wish I had the money for a second PS3 since my brother has the other one and we don't live together but I also got too many Xbox games too to just bail out on the system.

Anyway, what infos do you need Psycho? Can't find anything on the OP.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Xbox 360: Arcade Unit (NEW).
Problem: RROD on 06/25/2009

Manufactured:
2008 - 07 - 15

Fuck.

Vyer

I don't know if I can expect much more than 80-100 bucks for the refurb MS is going to send me back.

How much would you guys buy an old refurb 360 for?

Dash Kappei said:
Anyway, what infos do you need Psycho? Can't find anything on the OP.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Xbox 360: Arcade Unit (NEW).
Problem: RROD on 06/25/2009

Manufactured:
2008 - 07 - 15
That's fine. Sadly there's not anywhere I can really put info on what sort of information is needed as it'd get lost every time the page changed. Well, short of putting it at the top of each page... but I'm not that dedicated. :D

Based on the manufacturing date, I'd assume that's a falcon model.

Alright I tried the towel trick, and it got it 2 red rings but then turned off and it's back to normal. It keeps on doing this whenever I try the trick when getting the E-73 error. Is there another way to fix the E-73 problem or are there any other ways I can get the 360 to RROD?

Shadowlink123 said:
Alright I tried the towel trick, and it got it 2 red rings but then turned off and it's back to normal. It keeps on doing this whenever I try the trick when getting the E-73 error. Is there another way to fix the E-73 problem or are there any other ways I can get the 360 to RROD?

Just set up a repair and say it got RRoD. They don't check.

Shadowlink123 said:
Are you sure? I just want to make sure I don't get in trouble. Also do they fix any other errors they see?

They don't even look at it. They rip it open as soon as they get it and immediately pack up a refurb for you.

AnEternalEnigma said:
They don't even look at it. They rip it open as soon as they get it and immediately pack up a refurb for you.
Wait, so it's not the same Xbox 360? What will happen to all the DLC I have? I know you can re-download the games when signing on your account but what about the DLC?

DaveKap

Banned
For your stat consideration.

My Pro system purchased November 2006 red ringed August 2008 thanks to Castle Crashers online. Sent it via coffin and has worked since its return.

My gf's Pro system purchased November 2005 (yep, launch day system) red ringed May 2009 for reasons unknown, but most likely just old age. It had previously suffered from a destroyed hard drive. Considered out of warranty thanks to the 3 year warranty extension being only 3 years, so we just bought an Arcade as a replacement. :p

Shadowlink123 said:
Wait, so it's not the same Xbox 360? What will happen to all the DLC I have? I know you can re-download the games when signing on your account but what about the DLC?
Sometimes you get a different model, sometimes they just replace the motherboard.

They'll automatically transfer your licences to the new machine if they give you a different one.

Psychotext said:
They'll automatically transfer your licences to the new machine if they give you a different one.

No they do not. They say they do, but they don't. I've never talked to anyone that they actually did this for. The last replacement I got had the piece of paper in it saying the licenses were replaced, and they weren't. I had to spent 45 minutes on the phone with the idiots in India and had to wait over two weeks before they did it.

Psychotext said:
Sometimes you get a different model, sometimes they just replace the motherboard.

Do they just fix the RROD problem? My main problem is the E-73.

AnEternalEnigma said:
No. The Xbox 360 is such a mess, they just rip it open and replace everything as soon as they get it.
Oh Alright! I guess I'll send the Xbox 360 if they replace the license if they give me a refurb.

Dash Kappei

Psychotext said:
That's fine. Sadly there's not anywhere I can really put info on what sort of information is needed as it'd get lost every time the page changed. Well, short of putting it at the top of each page... but I'm not that dedicated. :D

Based on the manufacturing date, I'd assume that's a falcon model.

Weren't these "Falcon" models supposed to be reliable? I know I waited for those models to hit the market for sooo long because they were supposed to actually be the X360's saviours and yet...
FFS I had this one for just 6 months... :(
It really, really sucks, I don't wanna jinx it but besides 2 X360 I've never had a console die on me, I don't think that's coincidence.

What to do now? Am I condemned to gettin' a refurb which will then (no doubt?) get broken again and again until my warranty is up?

Dash Kappei said:
Weren't these "Falcon" models supposed to be reliable? I know I waited for those models to hit the market for sooo long because they were supposed to actually be the X360's saviours and yet...
/shrugs

Define reliable. They're certainly seem worlds apart from the original 360s, but as Mr Moore said, "Things break". The Jaspers seem better again, but a bunch of those will break too. I always tend to try and remember that even with something like a 3% failure rate, you're still looking at 30 thousand dead machines for every million sold.

As for this point on for you... you're screwed just like everyone else. Once you've got your refurb there's every chance you'll be back in the thread before long. Reliability of the refurbs is absolutely disgusting.

AnEternalEnigma said:
No they do not. They say they do, but they don't. I've never talked to anyone that they actually did this for.
They've certainly done it for everyone I know personally who has had a dead 360 in the last 6 months (obviously those that got a refurb rather than a new motherboard). You should ask B-Rad, because I only know what I've been told by others with refurbed machines. I'm sure he's lurking here somewhere. :lol

Dash Kappei

Psychotext said:
/shrugs

Define reliable. They're certainly seem worlds apart from the original 360s, but as Mr Moore said, "Things break". The Jaspers seem better again, but a bunch of those will break too. I always tend to try and remember that even with something like a 3% failure rate, you're still looking at 30 thousand dead machines for every million sold.

Doesn't seem anywhere close to 3% failure rate with these Falcon models to me, but hey there's no reason to argue about it, it is how it is and I'm screwed.
I see that I'm in good company though :lol

As for this point on for you... you're screwed just like everyone else. Once you've got your refurb there's every chance you'll be back in the thread before long. Reliability of the refurbs is absolutely disgusting.

Should I push for a motherboard fix or anyway to get MINE fixed or because it RRODed it's just the same as a refurb now? Don't worry if they're likely say they won't do it, I'd like to know if I were in a better position with mine back instead of a stranger's refurb.

What's "shocking" to me is that this time it wasn't like my first system, which acted funny a bunch of times and then RRODed. This system actually seemed to go as smooth as possible, damn even the power brick itself was always almost-cold, I played this machine MAYBE 3 or 4 hours each week and then one morning BAM! Those fucking red lights :-/

Burai

shitonmychest57
AnEternalEnigma said:
No they do not. They say they do, but they don't. I've never talked to anyone that they actually did this for. The last replacement I got had the piece of paper in it saying the licenses were replaced, and they weren't. I had to spent 45 minutes on the phone with the idiots in India and had to wait over two weeks before they did it.

They did mine. And everyone else I know. I think you're the unlucky exception rather than the rule.

Dash Kappei said:
Doesn't seem anywhere close to 3% failure rate with these Falcon models to me, but hey there's no reason to argue about it, it is how it is and I'm screwed.
I see that I'm in good company though :lol
I don't think it is either, but my point was more that even with a supposedly low failure rate you're still looking at quite a number of dead machines.

On the replacement. I'd guess that the best option is a new machine, and if not, a completely new motherboard (rather than someone else's machine that they've coaxed back from beyond the dead).

Jesus, I'm tired of Microsoft.

My Falcon 360 RRoD'd three weeks ago. I sent it in, got it repaired and got it back in my hands a week later.

I've played XBLA games and streamed Netflix since then, but had not loaded a game in disc. I tried today, put the disc in the drive and immediately heard a grinding sound. Now, the console won't recognize any discs at all.

To make matters worse, I can tell the support guys replaced the DVD drive during the RRoD repair. And, XBOX.com won't let me file a new repair request order. It keeps pulling up my previous repair! I guess the sucker broke too fast.

I spent an hour on the phone with Tech Support, answering questions such as "Have you tried turning it off and then on again?" Now Microsoft is mailing me a shipping label (I should get it early next week) and I'll have to send the console in -- and be without it for another two weeks.

I'm pissed. I knew the "risks" of buying a 360, but at the same time, I never thought I'd be without my console for an entire month. My console is just over a year old; Microsoft should be well beyond these type of problems. Especially considering the fact the repair center plopped a busted DVD drive in my console.

I don't really understand why they're randomly replacing DVD drives. They did it on mine and my old one was just fine. Seems like a complete waste of money.

Luckily mine came back working though.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Psychotext said:
I don't really understand why they're randomly replacing DVD drives. They did it on mine and my old one was just fine. Seems like a complete waste of money.

Luckily mine came back working though.

Because some DVD drives are much much easier to hack than others, so they're probably trying to flood the market right now with the hardest. I think its a Ben-Q drive, I could be wrong.

Dash Kappei

McBacon said:
Because some DVD drives are much much easier to hack than others, so they're probably trying to flood the market right now with the hardest. I think its a Ben-Q drive, I could be wrong.

Easier to hack? What does that even mean (what's the point of doing that is what I'm asking, since I'm a newbie on the matter)?

Top Bottom