• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Xbox One X Has Sold on eBay, but...

Karmic Raze

A PO Box is an absolute no-go for FedEx, unless you choose SmartPost, and that involves the USPS.

There are so many reasons why an eBayer would not ship to one, they might as well make a class called eBay 101 and have the 1st lesson be called PO Boxes and You.

For mail, it’s no biggie, but for packages that involve valuable items...not touching that with a ten foot pole.

Well, I do 100% of my shipping through my local post office and I have sent items worth $1000 and above and I’ve never ran into a problem. If you ship through USPS Priotity Mail you get a tracking number, you can get signature confirmation, and add package insurance. I personally don’t see the problem with it.

ebay is the worst place to sell because its so easy for scammers to get away. Even if you have a tracking number he can just say he received an empty box, different item or a damaged one and open a chargeback case. ebay ALWAYS sides with the buyer in those cases. A good scammer will never complain about not receiving the parcel (which can easily proofen with the tracking). So keep that in mind. I only sell on ebay if they transfer the money to my bank account without credit card or paypal so they cant charge back but i dont know if thats a thing in the usa.

Grinchy

Banned
I've sold some >$500 items on Ebay over the years and never ran into any issues. Maybe I was just lucky. PayPal has seller protection for physical items that have tracking info. On anything remotely expensive, I tack on signature confirmation too.

I also always have no returns on my Ebay listings. Maybe they can still screw you over, but I've dodged all those bullets over the years.

Karmic Raze

It seems like scammers tend to stay away from people with higher seller ratings on eBay in my experience, but maybe that’s just me.

Last edited:
Tracking and signature are for the seller. Take photos of the condition and packaging process and take photos of you handing off the package. eBay and PayPal will side witht he buyer without proof, but if you document everything you should be ok. You also have to make sure you send to the address they have listed with PayPal.

turtlepowa

Banned
If you had no restrictions on your auction, and it sold to a buyer with no feedback, you should honor the agreement and send it once you have received payment.

With this and your other thread, sounds like a local buyer would have been a better idea, even if you got a bit less.
Unfortunately you can't exclude new buyers with 0 reputation. Had to relist one of my PS5s because of this :messenger_winking:

JCK75

Man my last few times selling on ebay were such a nightmare that I just gave up entirely on the platform..
Now I sell on facebook marketplace and you will get a ton of shithead replies, you will still get fake people but you can look up their profiles and determine if they are for real or not
and since you are not locked in to selling it to any one of them you can just handle it first come first served and take the stress out of it.

Protip

Don't sell electronics on Ebay. I've been burned twice by scammers buying my shit, then complaining to ebay, then having their money refunded at the cost of P+P. Even though i sent both buyers a message saying "non-returnable, do you understand?". They both said yes. Ebay said they sided with the buyer as there isn't enough evidence.

Sell local, fuck ebay

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Find a box big enough for you to fit in and ship yourself with the console to show him you ain't fucking around.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Protip

Don't sell electronics on Ebay. I've been burned twice by scammers buying my shit, then complaining to ebay, then having their money refunded at the cost of P+P. Even though i sent both buyers a message saying "non-returnable, do you understand?". They both said yes. Ebay said they sided with the buyer as there isn't enough evidence.

Sell local, fuck ebay

Well, in the past, I successfully sold a spare HD 5870, an Xbox 360, and a PlayStation 3. However, I was younger and naive. Now, I'm older, cautious, and a bit paranoid.

Boss Mog

Ebay almost always sides with the buyer if there's any problems so it's always risky. The only time they might side with the seller is if they have lots of great seller feedback and the buyer has none. Once I had somebody return something completely damaged and ebay didn't give a shit, I still had to refund them. I even asked the woman on the phone, "what if they had sent me back rocks?" and that bitch said "you'd still have to refund them in full", so yeah, fuck ebay.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Why did you sell if to less than Xbox Series S to begin with? Why not check if there are some of your friends wanted one but weren't lucky to get one? And get that $500 back?

Well, got scammed ones or two on eBay, so not sure if you'll be lucky, but it was the other way around and for small stuff so didn't ask for a refund.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought it was XSX.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
IF the money was already in escrow why would you cancel the order. They will give you the money.

Kssio_Aug

I mean... there are always your first buy, right? If the buyer already paid, I don't know why you needed to cancel. What are the chances, for real, to be screwed by a supposedly scammer that already paid for the product on ebay?
As the buyer, I would be fucking pissed. I think that if you are that much afraid of being scammed the best solution is not to use ebay at all.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Ship with signature required and insurance.
Why did you sell if to less than Xbox Series S to begin with? Why not check if there are some of your friends wanted one but weren't lucky to get one? And get that $500 back?

Well, got scammed ones or two on eBay, so not sure if you'll be lucky, but it was the other way around and for small stuff so didn't ask for a refund.

Nobody's buying an Xbox One X for more than an Xbox Series S when they can add a bit more money and get an Xbox Series X.

I tried selling my One X at $300 and it just says there for two weeks.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Yes you can get scammers but the whole mindset of EBAY is to make $ and flip systems

sainraja

They won the auction, they already paid you and you are planning to just cancel?
Are there fees for cancelling the payments? Will you cover them?

Of course you will be penalized and of course you will get bad feedback.
The review will likely read something like this :
"I won the auction and sent the money. Then the seller made up some excuse and refused to ship the item.
I got stuck with trying to claw back my money I already sent him. I think he is a scammer."

Yeah, good luck selling anything else on ebay in the future. Everyone will think you are a scammer.

I really recommend you just fulfill his order. Maybe stay off ebay in the future since it does not seem to be your thing.
I am just saying, as a buyer, I would be spewing fire if this bs happened to me.

He will still have to pay the ebay fee.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
was about to say try amazon trade in but I checked and they are not taking them now. Might be worth getting what ever you can, prices are gonna fall quick soon.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
BluRayHiDef BluRayHiDef see, you can still use these trash threads you created.
bart-simpson-garbage.gif

Durask

Here is the thing.
A buyer can scam you and there is nothing you can do - Ebay sides with the buyer 99% of the time.
A buyer can claim you send them a brick and Ebay will side with them.
They can also demand a return and mail you a brick and Ebay will side with them.

This risk is part of selling on Ebay, that's just how it is.
That being said, I've sold many things on Ebay, some were quite high priced. But the risk is always there.

Durask

Also I believe Ebay allows you to block buyers with PO box buyers, but it does not necessarily mean a scammer. In rural areas plenty of people have PO boxes at the local post office because mail does not get delivered there.
Also people who live in sketchier areas sometimes get PO boxes so that their packages do not get dumped outside their door during the day only to get stolen.

Chiggs

Ebay almost always sides with the buyer if there's any problems so it's always risky. The only time they might side with the seller is if they have lots of great seller feedback and the buyer has none. Once I had somebody return something completely damaged and ebay didn't give a shit, I still had to refund them. I even asked the woman on the phone, "what if they had sent me back rocks?" and that bitch said "you'd still have to refund them in full", so yeah, fuck ebay.

This has been my experience, too. I had a sale this past March that was so traumatic it will haunt me for the rest of my days.

eBay is a thoroughly rotten organization. I hope they die, honestly.

Top Bottom