• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Myrkl: new anti-hangover pill said to break down up to 70% of alcohol in an hour

Pejo

A new anti-hangover supplement has just gone on sale in the UK. It is marketed by Swedish firm Myrkl as “the pre-drinking pill that works”.

The pill is said to break down up to 70% of alcohol after 60 minutes. This means that if someone drinks 50ml of 40% spirits, which contains 20ml of pure alcohol, as little as 6ml of the alcohol will enter the bloodstream. This is the same as the person only drinking 15ml of spirits.

This reduction in the amount of alcohol absorbed by the body is mirrored by a reduction in the short-term effects of alcohol, such as euphoria and reduced anxiety.

The company that makes this supplement recommends that two pills are taken one to 12 hours before drinking alcohol.

The probiotic supplement contains two gut-friendly bacteria – Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus coagulans – produced from fermented rice bran. These bacteria naturally break down alcohol into water and carbon dioxide. An acid-resistant capsule protects the bacteria from the stomach’s natural acids so they can reach the intestine where most alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream.

Twenty-four healthy young white adults were asked to take either two Myrkl pills or dummy pills (placebo) each day for seven days. They were then given a small amount of alcohol (between 50 and 90ml of spirits) based on their weight. Their blood alcohol level was tested for the next two hours.

The researchers found that within the first 60 minutes, the amount of alcohol in the blood was 70% lower in those who received Myrkl compared with the dummy pill.
Confused Thinking GIF

Good news for big pussy GAF that can't hold their damn liquor.

Including me anymore, can't drink like a 21 year old these days.

Mistake

I saw something like this while I was in Japan, but it was more about keeping your stomach from getting upset

clarky

Gold Member
Whats the point in drinking if you dont get pissed?
If you're just having a couple then this isnt required, if your out on a session then all this does is make you drink more. Useless.

This cant be good for your body. Just drink alcohol free beer if thats the effect your after.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Seems more like something you take an hour before driving home and/or showing up to work.

Not that I condone drinking and then doing either one.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Seems more like something you take an hour before driving home and/or showing up to work.

Not that I condone drinking and then doing either one.

They recommend twelve hours prior to drinking. It's just two types of bacteria shielded against stomach acid. So it takes time to get into place within the large intestine where it will break down most of the alcohol. From the sounds of it this isn't something to dose after drinking, it's only a preventative.

It seems like it's for people who want to enjoy a night out drinking with friends or colleagues but do not want to get drunk (or so drunk they face the prospects of a hangover).

Last edited:

natjjohn

Save your money (twice!) by not buying this supplement and just drink less. I get it though, some people can’t moderate so a pill like this MIGHT be useful if don’t just triple upon the drinks when not “feeling it” like you normally do.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
The pill is said to break down up to 70% of alcohol after 60 minutes. This means that if someone drinks 50ml of 40% spirits, which contains 20ml of pure alcohol, as little as 6ml of the alcohol will enter the bloodstream. This is the same as the person only drinking 15ml of spirits.

What is even the point then? Just drink the amount that this pill would have reduced your intake to. You're paying more to get less drunk. I could see it being a cessation aid.

Synless

Honest to god never had a hangover no matter how blackout drunk I’ve gotten.

My friends however…. this would have been amazing for them.

So it's a contraceptive for alcohol...but the kind you have to be on some time beforehand, and not the morning after.
Which means it's useless if you didn't plan to drink too much but did anyway and realize the party is over and you have to drive home.

killatopak

Gold Member
I need this. I can’t hold my liquor and get drunk within a couple of glasses of beer or hard liquor. It’s genetic. All my family members can’t drink much until our faces are flushed. Also, hangover affects me within an hour or two after stopping drinking.

Fbh

If it also gets you less drunk then what's the point? Just drink less alcohol.
Seems like it would only be useful in very specific scenarios like "I'm the designated driver but whit this I can still a have a regular beer which just tastes better than alcohol free one",

Pejo

I just drink another beer first thing in the morning. That’s the cure. I haven’t got pissed in a long time though.
Funny enough, this is what I used to do back when I'd do weekend benders. Coors Light was the perfect "hair of the dog" beer. We usually kept a 6er in the fridge strictly for nursing hangovers.

I could never do the morning Bloody Mary thing.

Thaedolus

This reduction in the amount of alcohol absorbed by the body is mirrored by a reduction in the short-term effects of alcohol, such as euphoria and reduced anxiety.

...then what's the point? Just drink less hah. The point of getting shit faced is to get shit faced.

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is why alcohol is the inferior drug.

With weed you just need something with sugar like a fruit juice to get better immediately.

MastaKiiLA

Back in my day, you didn't have no magic pill to prevent a hangover. No sir. Back in my day, you drank until you blacked out. Then, when you woke up the next day with a splitting headache, you cracked open another cold one, and took the hair of the dog like a man.

Seth Meyers Smoking GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Last edited:

Raven117

sooooooo.... it just makes you get less drunk, so you dont get as bad of a hangover...

324537d0487e0470a36d4c4d309f9523.gif

how can they call an "anti-hangover pill"?
How did we get this far in the thread and this was the first post to point this out?

It’s a stop from getting drunk pill, not a anti-hangover pill. Plus, that study shows such small amounts. What about a real bender. Does it work then?

Pejo

How did we get this far in the thread and this was the first post to point this out?

It’s a stop from getting drunk pill, not a anti-hangover pill. Plus, that study shows such small amounts. What about a real bender. Does it work then?
Technically it speeds up the process of breaking down alcohol in your blood. So whether you get drunk or not depends more on the speed and the quantity that you drink. If you are only having a drink or two, it's not worth taking it anyways. I understood it to be more for people that have a tendency to lose control after a reasonable amount of drinks and go hog wild, then wake up with a headache, a bunch of questions about what happened, and a shit ton of regret.

NinjaBoiX

Gold Member
What’s the point of this again?

A hangover pill should help you feel better the morning after if you’ve had a bit too much, not “stop you getting as drunk.”

Might as well just drink less if you’ve already decided that you’re happy to limit how drunk you get so you’ll be less hungover.

Seems kind of pointless….

MrMephistoX

Naltrexone is way better imho you take it before alcohol so you don’t find yourself binging and lose interest over time. Yes being drunk is fun but it’s no longer fun or cool in your thirties with a career :(

Helps you enjoy alcohol like a Normy if you have alcohol use disorders which binge drinking on a regular basis definitely fucking is.

MrMephistoX

Not true in my case. Our company Christmas party last year was 🔥🔥🔥
Would caveat that it’s the morning after that has become gross for me. I may or may not actually be out my thirties in a year or two lol so if that were the case I would say that it would have been mid-late thirties where it stops being fun the day after.

For me I felt like shit all day and literally hair of the dog was the only remedy…because I used to drink all weekend but it was way too easy to say fuck it and have a bottle of wine on a Monday (large glasses are really like 3-4 servings) during COVID to get over the weekend hangover and then for me it became like an every day thing of 3 glasses daily and like two bottles a weekend day.

I wish I could stop myself but two drinks is just not fun for me.

Last edited:

TheMan

So it's not exactly an anti-hangover pill. More like an anti-drunk in the first place pill.

In which case you'd probably be better off...just drinking less? Fucking dumb.

Top Bottom