• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 |OT| It Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
cast_banner.jpg

The Plot
In the not-too-distant future
Next Sunday, AD
There was a guy named Jonah
Not too different from you or me

He worked at Gizmonic Institute
Just another mug in a yellow suit
A distress call came in for him at half-past noon
That's when an evil woman trapped him on the dark side of the moon

Kinga: I'll send him cheesy movies
The worst I can find (la la la)
He'll have to sit and watch them all
And we'll monitor his mind (la la la)

Now keep in mind that Jonah can't control
When the movies begin or end
So he'll have to keep his sanity
With the help of his robot friends

Chorus: Robot Roll Call
Cambot!
Gypsy!
Tom Servo!
Crooooow!

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
And other science facts (la la la),
Then repeat to yourself, "It's just a show
I should really just relax"
For Mystery Science Theater 3000!

The Cast
mst3k-uproxx.jpg

Baron Vaughn as Tom Servo (left), Jonah Ray as Jonah Heston (middle), Hampton Yount as Crow T. Robot (right)

mst3k2.jpeg

Felicia Day as Kinga Forester, Patton Oswalt as TV's Son of TV's Frank (aka Max)

Where to Watch - Click the Animated GIF Below!!!

All FOURTEEN new episodes are available to stream on Netflix, beginning April 14 at 12:00 AM Pacific Time

Episode List - Click Picture for IMDB Page

***THREAD RULES***
  • No Unmarked Spoilers Until April 28
  • All Spoilers Must Note Which Episode is Being Spoiled
  • No Episode Titles Until April 14
  • It is just a show, you should really just relax
Links
MST3K Official Website
MST3K Season 11 Wikipedia Entry
Q&A with the New Crow and Servo
Season 11 Trailer - YouTube

Prior NeoGAF MST3K Threads
Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign
Mystery Science Theater 3000 |OT|: We Put Our Faith in Blast Hardcheese
Mystery Science Theater 3000's new season finally has a trailer!

5g1W9FF.png

(insert riff here)

kulapik

Any information about international dates of airtime?
It's releasing in all English speaking Netflix countries (Canada, UK, AUNZ). Nothing for the rest, which I can understand, since some of the jokes are very hard to adapt. (Plus, rights)

daveo42

Banned
Haven't watched anything past 1101 (which was good) but I'm looking forward to slowly watching the rest of the season.

Man, both of these would have been better subtitles, I suck at this...

obin_gam, I don't have any insight into international airtimes, but I would check Netflix when your local time equals midnight Pacific Time in the US (three hours behind US Eastern Time).
I like It Stinks! though. :)

SeanC

Proud backer, have been enjoying the four episodes I've seen thus far and I can't wait to get to one in particular because, honestly, it's a guilty pleasure movie for me in the first place.

MST3k pretty much helped me find my own taste for comedy - I love being irreverent and riff on stuff with snarky assertions all the time - I'll also randomly break into songs though I lack the lovely voice of Kevin Murphy.

obin_gam

It's releasing in all English speaking Netflix countries (Canada, UK, AUNZ). Nothing for the rest, which I can understand, since some of the jokes are very hard to adapt. (Plus, rights)

obin_gam, I don't have any insight into international airtimes, but I would check Netflix when your local time equals midnight Pacific Time in the US (three hours behind US Eastern Time).

Meh. Netflix needs to act more confident in their international sector. Sweden likes MST3K too!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
MST3K is the kind of thing that I've always assumed I will like but never really got around to watching, beyond scattered memories of catching it on Scifi as a kid. Definitely planning to check this out.

Any impressions from backers or early reviews?
I'm through the first ten episodes and working on the eleventh.

I could not have imagined it would be as good as it is. It is a perfect successor to the prior seasons. Films are just right for riffing, the riffing is excellent, and everyone is at the top of their game.

Ponn

Banned
Ok, its time to get my 1 month sub and binge a bunch of stuff, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Stranger Things and now the new MST3K.

SuperPac

I have watched one and a half episodes so far (waiting until they're actually up on Netflix to watch them all). It feels like an evolution of the Joel era episodes, with extremely strong writing and an actual budget backing it up. There have been some complaints and the speed the riffs come at you but I have completely loved it.

SeanC

Joel and Co asked to not give a lot of details before the official release, but I can at least share that I like it and everything feels nicely polished (despite it kind of bumpy in the pilot episode, like they're rushing through the riffs, but I expected that). It really does feel like this is the natural continuation of the original series .

SeanC

My favorite by far. If any of these new episodes are as hilarious as that one, we'll be in good shape.

I would say there's a spiritual successor this season, TBH. Though it also shares similarities to Boggy Creek 2 The Legend Continues if you liked that Mike episode also.

Sesha

Nice OT. Is the title a The Critic or a Dinner With The Family reference?

Edit: I guess The Critic. Dinner With The Family was "This stinks" now I've given it a second thought.

The new series blew away my expectations. Halfway through the second episode I had completely adjusted to the new crew which is something I did not anticipate.

I'm going to be super curious how MST3K newcomers react to this, I really hope it catches on because it deserves to.

tuffy

Nice OT. Is the title a The Critic or a Dinner With The Family reference?

Edit: I guess The Critic. Dinner With The Family was "This stinks" now I've given it a second thought.
It's a Pod People reference, from way back in MST3k season 3.

SeanC

So the hero is a big hairy slob? lol

There is a hairy guy, then a really hairy guy, but it's really the weird tone that reminds me of The Final Sacrifice. It's a great mix of movie styles, Joel (so far, haven't seen all of them) got some great variety and entertaining movies to riff.

I'd echo everyone else so far. It's excellent. Kind of shockingly so. Like, I expected to enjoy it - but more so just as another riffing project, or out of nostalgia - but I genuinely think it's living up to the series history.

I've only watched the first 3 episodes (silly life getting in the way of binge watching). The first episode is the roughest, but still very enjoyable. I think this 'roughness' is mostly because it's our first exposure to the newish look, and the new voices, and crew and so on. Part of it is structural as well - feels weirdly rushed and a little disjointed. Not bad by any means, but it was about what I was expecting going into the show.

Episode 2 and 3 though? Holy cow - really nailed it. 2 was much better than 1, and 3 is probably going to go down as a classic for me honestly. I was in *tears* at one point I was laughing so hard.

I really think people who dug the original series will equally dig this. And I hope it finds a new audience as well. It really deserves it.

opoth

Banned
First 3 episodes are all very good, the 2nd is my favorite so far but the 3rd is a very close second place. I'm going to try and spread this out over 3 or 4 weeks and ideally wait until
the holidays to watch the Christmas episode
but I don't know if I have the self control.

The day they announced a release date I decided to embark on a full rewatch to be ready for tomorrow. I've failed miserably as I just finished up The Creeping Terror moments ago. Gonna finish my marathon before I watch S11, but goddamn is it going to be hard not to peek ahead. I'm glad that most of the early feedback has been positive, can't wait.

HylianTom

Banned
I have only seen Episode 1 so far, but really enjoyed it. My big worry was that I would miss many of the references to post-2000 pop culture, but so far their material has been absolutely dead-on. They clearly are not at all hesitant to continue dropping really oblique and old historical, cultural, and political callbacks.

(When they started singing the "I feel like Chicken Tonight" jingle, I truly knew I'd be comfortable..)

I have tomorrow off from work, so my game plan is to get home from work in an hour or two, nap, and awaken to binge the whole season. I've never binge-watched a new TV show before (I don't watch much new TV at all), but this is the one show that could get me to do it.

I'd echo everyone else so far. It's excellent. Kind of shockingly so. Like, I expected to enjoy it - but more so just as another riffing project, or out of nostalgia - but I genuinely think it's living up to the series history.

When they announced Elliot Kalan as the head writer, any worries I had really vanished right then. He is literally the exact perfect comedy writer they could have possibly hired for the job. And from the start, I thought Jonah was a great choice for the new host.

Sanjuro

I've watched six episodes. While I never thought possible, it's arguably a more consistent product than the original series so far.

Either way, I feel completely satisfied that I was able to contribute to this.

opoth

Banned
When they announced Elliot Kalan as the head writer, any worries I had really vanished right then. He is literally the exact perfect comedy writer they could have possibly hired for the job. And from the start, I thought Jonah was a great choice for the new host.

It's funny, and a good time to mention it, the choice of head writer probably combined with a younger cast really triggered certain segments of the fanbase early on, but even those guys seem to be coming around on it.

Everyones' safe spaces are still safe, this is the same mostly apolitical MST3K we've always known and loved.

the choice of head writer [...] really triggered certain segments of the fanbase early on,

Huh, why's that? Because of the Daily Show?

It's hilarious because Kalan's actual style of humor is basically apolitical, having listened to like 200 hours of him talking on The Flop House. Man is a trove of knowledge and has an uncanny ability to pull crazy references and comparisons out of thin air. He's a national treasure, IMO

Also he is the writer of the single greatest panel of comics in the past decade:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom