• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N+ Developers talk XBLA: "There's like 100 games, and they're all shit." (plus more!)

aku:jiki

TheOneGuy said:
I don't think they ever said they were the best. Just that the majority of XBLA games are shit.

And that much is true. It may not be that ALL BUT FIVE are shit, but the majority are definitely shit.
But they didn't say that. They said what's in the thread title. That's not a paraphrase, not a flame-baiting exaggeration. It's the direct quote, straight from MetaNet.

And it's fucking bullshit. The combination of the extreme arrogance and the extreme ignorance is offensive to anyone who has invested time and energy into learning about and exploring the XBLA scene. These guys were obviously too lazy to make said investments, and instead opted to make a lazy comment based on spending 30 seconds on each demo and laughing everything off without giving it a proper chance. I think it's the arrogance/ignorance combination that's getting people riled up more than anything.

Also, it really pisses me off when people shit all over small indie devs. It's even more unbelieavable disrespectful when it's coming from another indie dev! At the very least, we have to respect that these people are out there and working their hardest and trying their best. Maybe it doesn't always work out and, perhaps too often, it shows that they're beginners in game developing. But without these people working for probably less than minimum wage only because they love what they do, there wouldn't even be an indie scene! It's hard out there for a small game dev. For the fact that they're out there trying, we need to offer them the basic courtesy and respect of giving their games a fair shot and not just waving them all off as "complete shit."

That's arrogant, unfair and disrespectful and I can't fathom how another indie dev could spew such bullshit.

Psychotext said:
I wonder if those arguing with Mario know who he is and why he's one of the few people here qualified to talk about XBL / PSN / Wiiware.
Terrell clearly doesn't have a clue, and it's quite funny. :D

tha_con

Banned
FightyF said:
There are multiple publishers for XBLA games.

That's the case with PSN. There is nothing wrong with that. Sony/MS made the hardware, they make the network and online retail environment (PlayStationNetwork/Xbox Live Marketplace). This makes absolute business sense...this can't be questioned.

What makes them invalid is the fact that what they say is plain wrong. They claim that "XBLA is limited like retail space". It isn't. They claim XBLA is like how it was 2 years ago in terms of content. It's not. He complains about Word Puzzle, when XBLA needs more puzzle games. They complain about games being "greenlighted" when it seems like that isn't the issue, the issue is whether a publisher will publish a game. When a pub decides to publish, it's goes onto Live, it seems. So if anything he should be mad at publishers wanting to take risks and publishing these games he consider "crap". Clearly he doesn't know how things are run, so why should we take them seriously?

They also seem very clueless when they ask questions like, "It's like, how is Uno the best-selling game on there? That really... that doesn't make any sense. It really doesn't. Street Fighter II you can see, because everyone played it and it was popular. But Uno... I didn't realize the 360 was popular with that crowd."

MetaNet don't seem like good business people as they don't understand their market, don't do their research, and seem to not have any idea of what is involved with publishing a title. All they seem to know how to do is make Flash games.

Can't think of anything intelligent to say? Figures...

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/y/yarisxbloxlivearcade/default.htm

Publisher: Microsoft

Nuff said.

C4Lukins said:
Yaris was a free game, and basically just an advertisement that while published by Microsoft was probably completely bought and paid for by Toyota. I am not sure what your point is at all.

Exactly. Who else was Toyota going to have publish it, their pals at Ford Gaming?

Why would someone defend such a blanket, reductive statement?

Have these guys been to beers with Jeff Minter lately or something?

I bought a 360 last fall to play Bioshock, Orange Box, Mass Effect and a few other games. But in the last six months since getting one, I've been very surprised by how much time I spend playing XBLA titles. Probably half my gaming time is spent doing that. Part of it is because I can only devote smaller segments of time to gaming many days.

But a big part of it is there are some truly worthwhile titles whose core attraction is great gameplay - not flash and fluff. No, the system isn't perfect, but it's much better than anything available to console gamers just a couple of years ago.

Yes, there's a pretty good amount of shit games on LA, but I think what everyone is missing here is that it's up to DEVS to create games, not just Microsoft. Could it be that console-centered publishers -- especially Japanese ones -- have just taken a while to come around to the potential of such a platform? Much like the DS and Wii? I believe that when Capcom has success with their upcoming stuff this year (and they will), then other publishers will see that XBLA is not just for lowly indie devs and not just for soulless retro shovelware.

It's only going to get better (on all three platforms) but it's up to us as the hardcore and informed gaming community to support the good stuff.

And please, STFU about pricing. I know gaming is an expensive hobby but it amazes that people will ALWAYS bitch about price. If a map pack is 800 points, they say it should be 400. But if it's 400, they ask why it isn't free. We're talking about whole games for $5 and $10 people. The ones that are worth it, are worth the asking price.

Twig

Banned
aku:jiki said:
But they didn't say that. They said what's in the thread title. That's not a paraphrase, not a flame-baiting exaggeration. It's the direct quote, straight from MetaNet.
Where did I ever say it wasn't a direct quote? It's a fucking exaggeration. It's human. Don't tell me you never exaggerate.

Maybe, just maybe, they were talking like normal fucking human beings. Is an interview the right place to do that? Probably not, but at least they're not hiding behind a bunch of bullshit.

They never said they were the best. Not once. They're just being fucking honest about their opinions. Is that really such a bad thing? Maybe you don't agree. Fine! I don't agree, either! I think they're wrong! Doesn't mean they're bring arrogant assholes. Just honest. Unfortunately, so many people think honesty and arroagance are the same thing.

If you want proof that it's an exaggeration, here, I'll give you some. As you say, "It's the direct quote, straight from MetaNet."
Raigan Burns said:
Like Pac-Man CE, it's awesome. And Geometry Wars is really good.
If all of the games are shit, and they weren't exaggerating at all, why would they then say that some of the games are good? Eh?

Oh, right, that's invalid because of what they said before.

Jesus Christ.

Also.
If a map pack is 800 points, they say it should be 400. But if it's 400, they ask why it isn't free.
Map packs should always be free. I don't know why you're bringing it up, though.

Terrell

Terrell clearly doesn't have a clue, and it's quite funny. :D
Funny, when Develop Magazine did that WiiWare peice not to long ago, experience with these DLC services didn't seem to matter when it came to THEIR opinions being questioned or ridiculed, and no one said boo about it. Just because this guy's a part of GAF makes him exempt from questioning his logic? Whatever, you can all continue riding his lap, he claims that I'm not understanding the situation, but it's an easy assumption to make when most of the points being made are completely ignored because he "doesn't understand what I mean". Feigning ignorance of something put in plain English is kind of tragic.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
beermonkey@tehbias said:
I love how Jeff Minter is considered a big whiner when he complains about XBLA, but the N+ guys get much more support. I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that N+ is coming to non-MS gaming platforms. :lol

I also love how Mario's thoughts get blown off around here when he defends a Microsoft platform; he usually is quite revered.
You're not being any less selective in your portrayal of the situation as those you're accusing.

Alien Homind
Assault Heroes
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Cloning Clyde
Double Dragon
Ecco The Dolphin
Fatal Fury Special
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved
Golden Axe
Gripshift
Heavy Weapon
Jetpac Refuelled
Lumines Live!
Luxor 2
Marble Blast Ultra
Mutant Storm Reloaded
Omega 5
Pacman CE
Prince of Persia Classic
Puzzle Fighter HD
Rez
Robo Blitz
Small Arms
Sonic The Headgehog
Sonic The Headgehog 2
Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting
Streets of Rage 2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Triggerheart Excelica
Uno
Wik: Fable of Souls
Zuma

All these games are much much much much better than the crap that is N+. That game was so fucking horrible that I deleted it after 2 minutes of play. Pure fucking garbage.

Banned
MS doesn't need a PR team. They have the internet.

Alien Homind
Assault Heroes
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Cloning Clyde
Double Dragon
Ecco The Dolphin
Fatal Fury Special
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved
Golden Axe
Gripshift
Heavy Weapon
Jetpac Refuelled
Lumines Live!
Luxor 2
Marble Blast Ultra
Mutant Storm Reloaded
Omega 5
Pacman CE
Prince of Persia Classic
Puzzle Fighter HD
Rez
Robo Blitz
Small Arms
Sonic The Headgehog
Sonic The Headgehog 2
Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting
Streets of Rage 2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Triggerheart Excelica
Uno
Wik: Fable of Souls
Zuma

All these games are much much much much better than the crap that is N+. That game was so fucking horrible that I deleted it after 2 minutes of play. Pure fucking garbage.
You know, all of the lists and the "N+ is fucking terrible. I deleted the demo and avoided the hype. RAWR" hyperbole just kinda proves their point.

gkryhewy

Rottweiler said:

Let's not get carried away. N+ is a very good game.

Gigglepoo

Rottweiler said:

You think your opinion is relevant after you just told us you only played 2 minutes of the demo?

Firewire

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
You think your opinion is relevant after you just told us you only played 2 minutes of the demo?

Did he mention a demo? He might have payed for it & deleted it after two minutes of play!

I dont really care what they say XBLA is awesome and i'm enjoying it a ton. Anything that makes me wish that other people who dont have the console could give it a spin is a good thing. XBLA is good

kmfdmpig

And it's fucking bullshit. The combination of the extreme arrogance and the extreme ignorance is offensive to anyone who has invested time and energy into learning about and exploring the XBLA scene. These guys were obviously too lazy to make said investments, and instead opted to make a lazy comment based on spending 30 seconds on each demo and laughing everything off without giving it a proper chance. I think it's the arrogance/ignorance combination that's getting people riled up more than anything.

Also, it really pisses me off when people shit all over small indie devs. It's even more unbelieavable disrespectful when it's coming from another indie dev! At the very least, we have to respect that these people are out there and working their hardest and trying their best. Maybe it doesn't always work out and, perhaps too often, it shows that they're beginners in game developing. But without these people working for probably less than minimum wage only because they love what they do, there wouldn't even be an indie scene! It's hard out there for a small game dev. For the fact that they're out there trying, we need to offer them the basic courtesy and respect of giving their games a fair shot and not just waving them all off as "complete shit."

I think that's really the whole problem. It's not a matter of whether N+ is great or not, but the fact that people who are brand new to developing are basically crapping all over 100+ other projects. That would be arrogant for a legendary programmer like Carmack, Miyamoto, Kojima or Itagaki to do, yet somehow these no names are getting a pass with a lot of people? That's very odd to me.

FightyF

Banned
tha_con said:

So you're telling me that MetaNet will completely fund their next racing game and ask for none of the profits?

Clearly, there was more that needed to be said... :)

Terrell said:
Funny, when Develop Magazine did that WiiWare peice not to long ago, experience with these DLC services didn't seem to matter when it came to THEIR opinions being questioned or ridiculed, and no one said boo about it. Just because this guy's a part of GAF makes him exempt from questioning his logic? Whatever, you can all continue riding his lap, he claims that I'm not understanding the situation, but it's an easy assumption to make when most of the points being made are completely ignored because he "doesn't understand what I mean". Feigning ignorance of something put in plain English is kind of tragic.

You were dancing around his points, you never addressed them head on. That was the problem. Secondly, you weren't clear and he (and many others) didn't understand what you meant because you were attempting to bring other unrelated topics into the discussion.

Gigglepoo said:

Do you think MetaNet's opinion is relevant?

C4Lukins

N plus is one of the better games on the service, but these guys come off as complete ass holes. They sold more in three weeks then they expected to sell over the lifetime of their game. Much of that has to do with the fact that it is a really good game, but the community and the service itself allowed and perpetuated that success. N has existed for quite awhile now on PC, I played it 6 months ago. Now they are finally getting a return on their investment and they shit on a bunch of other developers and bitch about the service?

Not that they should not call Microsoft out on the problems they have with Live. The 150 meg cap and the prevention of user created content are completely worthy of any anger one can muster. Despite any restrictions that may exist on Live, Microsoft put their game in the public eye for a week, the community grasped onto it and became huge fans, and all of that only occurred because Live Arcade is a service where if you release a game several hundred thousand people each month are at least going to be aware of its existence.

I mean, XNA is the place to go for true indie development, or even beyond that just put it on the internet, or the 1000 plus outlets that are not Live Arcade. I really do not understand what these guys are complaining about. Would they prefer that Live Arcade became like the PC space? Complete freedom, where you have 1000's of releases a year, people only notice 2 dozen of them, and your great game gets overshadowed by tower defense 338? How about minigolf 2012 and Puzzle Snatch 33,185?

Gigglepoo

FightyF said:
Do you think MetaNet's opinion is relevant?

What does that have to do with what I said? Someone said N+ sucked after playing it for 2 minutes. I was pointing out how misinformed his opinion was.

Gigglepoo said:
Would you care to expand on that?

I love N+, check my gamertag i've played it a lot, but how long do levels take to complete? Especially the starting ones. I think its safe to say that if you actually played it for 2 minutes, you'd have a fairly good idea of whether or not you're going to enjoy it. However, calling it crap is going too far.

How come Commanders: Attack of the Genos gets no love in this thread? Am I the only one who played that surprisingly addictive Advance Wars clone for like eight hours?

Xapati

Whoompthereitis said:
How come Commanders: Attack of the Genos gets no love in this thread? Am I the only one who played that surprisingly addictive Advance Wars clone for like eight hours?

I might try the demo. I really hate it's artstyle though.

SPEA

Was this posted? The guys respond to the craziness:

In Defence of the Apparant Shitstorm

Well, apparently our Gamasutra interview is controversial. Probably we should do what all the professionals have advised us to do, and just stop reading comments — it is the internet after all. But let’s instead take one last stab at dialogue.

First of all, everyone we’ve worked with at Microsoft have been terrific — smart, helpful, bright, and passionate. Obviously we haven’t met everyone working there, but those who were involved in N+ were great to work with. We’re sorry if our criticism of the service hurts them, because we know they’re doing their best. The “most games suck” problem really seems to be a pervasive institutional issue rather than the fault of this or that person.. more on that later.

Secondly: the interview was done before N+ came out.. hence we’re not complaining about our sales. We are surprised and thrilled by our sales — we’re just happy that people are trying N+, and that some of them are enjoying it.

Third: the interview happened about an hour after we found out that the royalty rates for XBLA have been “adjusted” to the point where our whole business plan moving forward was totally shafted.. hence the bitterness.

So: what the hell were we thinking?

We didn’t intend to provoke outrage, we simply spoke candidly. Actually saying what you think rather than being fake in an interview situation is apparently just not done, but don’t shoot the messenger — it’s not our fault that the vast majority of XBLA games suck! Literally every single person we’ve ever spoken with is in agreement on this, and yet it’s apparently shocking for gamers in general to hear (assuming that’s who reads *******/kotaku).

If you think back to when these downloadable channels (XBLA/PSN) were announced, they were supposed to be the “anti-retail”: good royalties for all involved, smaller/less “epic” games (quirky ideas which would never have been approved by a publisher), basically a mecca for small teams. In hindsight we were perhaps naive to buy into what was apparently empty marketing speak, however we really believed that something worthwhile and interesting was happening.

Fast forward to now: royalties (allegedly) suck, casual games outnumber proper video games (this will have to wait for a future post for further discussion), the vast majority of titles are “disappointing” (this is perhaps a more politic choice of words than “utter crap”), and small teams are being actively funneled through publishers.

As gamers it was unbelievably depressing for us to try literally 80 games and enjoy less than 8 of them. As we mentioned in the article we no longer bother to try XBLA demos because of this.. we just wait until we hear something good about any given game. So, we’re back in retail-land!

The fact that the channel is glutted with crap IS a real problem that shouldn’t be dismissed. The “diamonds will always stand out” argument doesn’t work when gamers have ceased to pay attention to XBLA due to how badly the last 10 demos they tried sucked.

As developers it was incredibly frustrating to see Nick pitch his game — which is sort of an arcade melee combat racer, and which looks AMAZING (it uses shaders!) in addition to being really fun and physics-y — only to be told that “racing games are oversaturated”. They’re only oversaturated because, for example, a piece of crap like Street Trace somehow got in early and is now preventing actually good games from being made. Before you call us arrogant for bad-mouthing another XBLA game, note that in this case it was a direct quote from X360 Magazine UK (”A piece of crap.” [Issue 26, p.118]).

Those who point out that retail has the exact same problem as XBLA are correct — but that doesn’t somehow diffuse our argument, if anything it just reinforces it since XBLA was meant to correct the problems endemic to retail games and that whole shebang. If my soup tastes like garbage, I would hope that the waiter’s explanation isn’t “yes, but most of the food we serve here tastes like garbage”!

This ties in to the larger rant of “why do the majority of games TOTALLY SUCK ASS?”, which is a very complex topic. Certainly everyone is to blame — gamers, developers, publishers, press. Hopefully someone will figure it out before consumers become totally jaded and it’s music-industry-style meltdown time.

We don’t expect everyone to be perfect. We’ve made some crap games ourselves. Making a game that sucks shouldn’t be a big deal — it happens, you learn from it. What is inexcuseable is when you make an utterly crap game, and then RELEASE IT ANYWAY.

What’s even worse is when your job is to decide which games to release, and which games to cancel, and you choose to release, for example, some lightweight neon bunny match-3 and then cancel something interesting like a physics-puzzle-based Thrust-like game.

Also, we should mention that any developers whose games we singled out shouldn’t feel too bad, since we also think that “The New Super Mario Bros” pretty much sucked (especially when compared to SMB3 or SMW), and we didn’t like Halo or Halo2 (haven’t tried 3 yet). So.. take it with a grain of salt? You’re in good company at least. ;) And, be cognizant of the fact that this is all our (very?) subjective opinion — N+ receives it’s share of poor reviews, too — it’s impossible for any game to resonate with every single person who plays it.

Hopefully we’ll have something good to write about next post — heh. ;)

p.s - we’re not “fanboys” as some have accused.. we just can’t afford a PS3 yet! SSD:HD is pretty crap though, so it looks like Sony aren’t immune either.

Did my best to bold. Just read the whole thing.

http://www.metanetsoftware.com/blog/

mood

N+ devs respond: XBLA games still suck, and so does Halo, Halo2, New Super Mario Bros and Super Stardust HD.

FightyF

Banned
mood said:
N+ devs respond: XBLA games still suck, and so does Halo, Halo2, New Super Mario Bros and Super Stardust HD.

As I said, they seem out of touch. They don't seem to understand what it takes to make a truly great game.

Y'know, if I had the source code to N+, I could probably take it and make it 10 times better from a gameplay standpoint. Make it more responsive, less sluggish. Pop in better music and sound effects. Make the visuals better...etc.

C4Lukins

They still come off as ass holes. When I started reading it, I was like ok, this was before the big sales and they were going through some shit and may have been frustrated. But then they defend it once again and call not just the majority of Live Arcade shit, but 90% of it. Because there is more then 10 good Live Arcade games, and N plus is right on the edge of that top tier, ass holes!

Granted, maybe there are only 10 excellent games. I have personally purchased more then 80 games on the service, and a ton of them suck. Frogger is not a very good game. But that is in the bottom tier of those 80 games I purchased. In that second tier you have 30 or so games, whether they be a Band of Bugs or an Assault Heros, or a Mutant Storm, and these games are not shit. They are not A Link to the Past, Mario Kart or Final Fantasy, but these are fun games that are even made more fun by the evil forced integration of achievements and leaderboards and the such.

Really I had nothing against these guys. I had a good time with N, and had a blast with N Plus. But really, what ass holes. And they are right that New Super Mario Bros does pretty much suck, but as a ten dollar game it would be freaken money. It only sucks in comparison to the best Mario games, but even then I would argue it is a fun experience right up there with N.

FightyF said:
As I said, they seem out of touch. They don't seem to understand what it takes to make a truly great game.

Y'know, if I had the source code to N+, I could probably take it and make it 10 times better from a gameplay standpoint. Make it more responsive, less sluggish. Pop in better music and sound effects. Make the visuals better...etc.
I think that's the problem with indie games. Whilst they often have interesting ideas, the team is so small and focussed on it, they often miss things like that.

Draft

p.s - we’re not “fanboys” as some have accused.. we just can’t afford a PS3 yet! SSD:HD is pretty crap though, so it looks like Sony aren’t immune either.
There we go. Now everyone gets to hate them.

Their balls are bigger than their brains.

They have nothing to bargain with and no real credibility other than one game. Even Dyack has more room to talk than these fools. With all the bridges they've burned with their whiny arrogance, they won't have to worry about console manufacturer policy again, or in fact, work in general. Unless EA hires them to code the DS version of NBA Live or some other useless venture.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
SapientWolf said:
These guys seriously need to hire some PR people to do the talking. If N+ wasn't as popular as it is then their comments would have burned any bridges they made over at MS.

Did you just ask for an additional layer of PR in an industry drowning in it?

C4Lukins

eXxy said:
Did you just ask for an additional layer of PR in an industry drowning in it?

I am all for honesty, but yes these particular guys need some PR plus. This is a company that named a game in such a way that it is impossible to search for on google.

Twig

Banned
eXxy said:
I'll take honest (if divisive) opinions over PR muck any day, thanks.
IAWTP.

I wish more big developers were honest. Although I guess I should clarify. I wish more big developers were honest about their own flaws. For example: Reggie's "online is great!" quote from E3 last year. Not honest.

Either way, I very much appreciate MetaNet not backing down and apologizing when that would be a lie. Like I said, I don't agree with everything they said, but goddamnit, it's just an opinion. It shouldn't fucking be a detriment to your enjoyment of the games they think are crap. So what's the big fucking deal?

It's like when people get pissed about a review they don't agree with. So fucking what. Get over it, crybabies.
C4Lukins said:
I have personally purchased more then 80 games on the service
what

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
eXxy said:
I'll take honest (if divisive) opinions over PR muck any day, thanks.
I agree with this, and in a perfect world people could voice their honest opinions without any retribution. But the business world is far from perfect, and it is likely that these comments are going to have some effect on MetaNet's future business on the consoles.

Icarus

PR speak has a place in this world for companies who wish to continue to do business... I wish these guys good luck finding their next publishing contract on 360 or PS3.

The thing about XBLA is: one man's crap is another man's treasure.

Sure, you can say "95% of XBLA is crap" but the fact is, even by that statement, your still getting 5-6 uber-good titles for sub-$15. And that's great. Not everyone is going to like the uber titles like Lumnies, N+, Rez, Assault Heroes, or Puzzlequest.

It's different strokes for different folks - and for $5 or $10, you can't lose if you find a game you really like.

Personally? People have played on my X360 and LIKED (yes, amazingly enough) Street Trace: NYC. And thats why XBLA is amazing. You can try every game, bad and beautiful, and find a game or two that you'll have a great rewarding experience with - without leaving your house.

Banned
I love the response. They just got shafted royalties wise(which apparently is completely okay) and they aren't afraid to call shitty games shitty. Awesome.

Gigglepoo

Icarus said:
PR speak has a place in this world for companies who wish to continue to do business... I wish these guys good luck finding their next publishing contract on 360 or PS3.

Microsoft and Sony care a lot more about money than words. N+ sold well, they won't have any problem finding someone to publish their next game.

Owzers

"We didn’t intend to provoke outrage, we simply spoke candidly. Actually saying what you think rather than being fake in an interview situation is apparently just not done, but don’t shoot the messenger — it’s not our fault that the vast majority of XBLA games suck! Literally every single person we’ve ever spoken with is in agreement on this, and yet it’s apparently shocking for gamers in general to hear (assuming that’s who reads *******/kotaku)."

It's shocking for gamers to hear because they actually play a lot of those games and like many of them.

kmfdmpig

The Experiment said:
Their balls are bigger than their brains.

They have nothing to bargain with and no real credibility other than one game. Even Dyack has more room to talk than these fools. With all the bridges they've burned with their whiny arrogance, they won't have to worry about console manufacturer policy again, or in fact, work in general. Unless EA hires them to code the DS version of NBA Live or some other useless venture.

It's funny. They come off as trying so desperate to seem cool, above it all and superior. They really come across just as badly as Jeff Bell did during his short-lived posting here.

Top Bottom