• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[N-Direct] Astral Chain Trailer

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

giphy.gif

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
The coolest hecking thing of the show, there's one more thing to make me want a Switch.

Doom85

Platinum game by Nier Automata director? You had me sold already, and then the game itself looks sweet.

RPGCrazied

I thought this was Monolith Soft's new game when I first saw the trailer. Surely they are working on something with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is done.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Platinum game by Nier Automata director? You had me sold already, and then the game itself looks sweet.
No, Yoko Taro was the director of NieR Automata but Takahisa Taura was one of the designers behind the game and now directing Astral Chain.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The "handcuff chain" thingie appears to be able to connect to different types of units. The melee girl has a two-bladed avatar/Stand/Persona/whatever and it looks different than the guy's (who seems to focus on Ranged in that trailer).

Later, the girl uses her "handcuffs" to link to a robo-dog to apparently sniff something down. It looks as through you'll be able to assume control over various pieces of tech in the environment, which in turn alters your "chain" attack abilities.

Danjin44

The "handcuff chain" thingie appears to be able to connect to different types of units. The melee girl has a two-bladed avatar/Stand/Persona/whatever and it looks different than the guy's (who seems to focus on Ranged in that trailer).

Later, the girl uses her "handcuffs" to link to a robo-dog to apparently sniff something down. It looks as through you'll be able to assume control over various pieces of tech in the environment, which in turn alters your "chain" attack abilities.
You even ride the robo-dogs when exploring and fighting. I watched the trailer 20 times and each it make me even more hype for this game. Maybe later this year I hope we get demo like we got with Daemon X Mschina.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Best thing on the Direct. Looked so good. The music seemed very "Nier"-esque too, wonder if Keiichi Okabe is behind it? Anyway, this is fucking day one. Another cool collabo with P.

LMJ

This was by far the most exciting thing shown at the direct, and Platinum is responsible?

Day freaking one :messenger_beaming:

:messenger_clapping:bravo Nintendo :messenger_clapping:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Looks awesome! Nintendo has been killing it with some fantastic looking exclusives. Also seems like visions aren't being shuttered or censored, as far as we can tell at first glance.

Rodolink

Platinum quality all the way, it's gonna be great. I was calling the day with this announcement.
until Link's Awakening

This looks like a masterpiece. New IP, visuals look amazing, world looks amazing, music is amazing, gameplay looks amazing.

I was already floored then the best part came...

What a great year this is going to be for this console.

Danjin44

Damn this looks good! August as well, not long to wait!
Yeah, I’m surprised as well. With the first announcement not only they show off decent amount of gameplay but we got solid release date. It seems Platinum Games working on this game for a while.

Ma-Yuan

My first though when the trailer started was some kind of Nier Automata spin off and then I saw the names :D

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I thought this was Monolith Soft's new game when I first saw the trailer. Surely they are working on something with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is done.
My first though when the trailer started was some kind of Nier Automata spin off and then I saw the names :D

XenoNier Automata Chronicles X &
Knuckles Chaotix

Danjin44

Do we know who’s doing the music for this game? Because it was god damn epic!!! It sounded almost as good as NieR Automata.

Mr Hyde

Do we know who’s doing the music for this game? Because it was god damn epic!!! It sounded almost as good as NieR Automata.

I´ve been searching like crazy for information whose behind the music but can´t find anything solid. Rumor suggests its Keiichi Okabe but nothing confirmed, but the soundtrack from the trailer has his fingerprints all over it. Astral Chain seems more and more like a dream team mash up of high profile names getting ready to shake things up. Can´t wait for this release.

Zannegan

Best announcement of the direct for me. I love Platinum's gameplay but the worlds and characters don't always grab me. This though looks fantastic on all fronts.

I hope it delivers.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Not to stoke the fires of speculation and conspiracy, but notice how Kamiya is tagged with Bayonetta and W101? I wonder if this implies he still wants to bring the franchise back. In interviews, he does seem heartbroken that it wasn't a big hit.

HWXLvm7.png

To play devil's advocate against myself, these are two of his franchises that've appeared on Nintendo platforms before. Maybe they're just referencing well-known Kamiya games that Nintendo fans might recognize.

To play devil's advocate against my devil's advocate, Okami and Viewtiful Joe have been on Nintendo platforms, too. and the other directors listed games from non-Nintendo publishers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... W101 on Switch confirmed.

Shifty

Looks pretty damn rad to me.

The combat kind of evokes Metal Gear Rising, at least moreso than it does the ongoing katamari of Bayonetta mechanics that Platinum have been using in games like Transformers and NieR. Looking forward to seeing them mix up their style a bit!

And pet bladewolf, what can I say? Amazing. Yes please. Bravo. :messenger_clapping:

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The verticality of the world will play a big role in how big the game feels. I get the impression they're shooting for a fairly open-world design with "Police Stuff" you can do between missions as you wander the streets, drive your bike, or whatever. I hope they let us drive that sweet helicopter from the opening scene, too.

There are some glimpses of environmental destruction and stealth elements. I think there's much more than meets the eye based on this 2m trailer.

iconmaster

Banned
That trailer is a trip. Every time I think I've got a handle on the game, it's like -- oh, you can ride a robot dog. Oh, and it's Blade Runner. Oh, and you can dress up as an Animal Crossing character and pick up litter.

Shaqazooloo

Thought it was a Monolith Soft game at first. Looks sick and I like the you play as some badass cops. I'll keep an eye on this one.

Top Bottom