• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[N-Direct] The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening Trailer

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I can see why the simplicity and art style might throw some people off, but to me this looks like perfection. Sometimes simple designs are fine as they are.

zenspider

Was just checking out screenshots on gematsu. The texture work, lighting, and detail in the environments is incredible. It looks delicious.

They can tighten up the AA on the models for sure, but damn I wanna eat this game.

dolabla

Links Awakening is such an amazing game. Crazy how this just came out of nowhere. I'm hoping Nintendo will have announced something about new hardware by time this comes out cause I got to get me another Switch for this alone.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I got really excited followed by deflated after seeing the in game footage. I’m not a “why’d they make Zelda a cartooooon?!” guy, but I’m not really feeling the art style. The textures look great though.

And who am I kidding? I’ll still buy it.

Aren117

The opening is beautiful, then ingame it looks so bad...

Welp, at least they have the assets to make the Oracles remake too, I guess...

Vawn

Banned
Outside of the original NES game, which will always be my favorite game of all time, this might be my favorite Zelda game.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I like the art style. The simple models + nice lighting + tilt shift camera look really nice + charming. This is how Secret of Mana remake should’ve looked.

CuNi

Something inside of me just cracked... I don't know why but I find the art style horribly disgusting... Which is a shame as I have such beautiful memories of the original game.. The song went straight for the feels.

Grinchy

Banned
This, Tetris 99, and Mario Maker 2 are the only things I care about from the Direct. I think this looks pretty cool. It looks like what Link Between Worlds would have been if it wasn't on that outdated piece of trash.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Why does Nintendo have such a monopoly on adorable?

Main problem with the artstyle/graphics is you can tell this was most likely originally started as a 3DS game (especially if old 2016 rumors were true). They bump mapped the hell out of it, and it has that blur similar to 3D Dot Game Heroes to help mask graphical fidelity, in the parts where the camera in zoomed you can tell the graphical quality isn't as good as first appearances, the 2D part with the Goomba's especially looks very basic.

Still, it's charming for what it is, and miles ahead of something like the Secret of Mana remake.

I don't like Link's eyes though, especially when all the enemies have more normalish eyes. Kind of weird, like Link has no soul, like a ginger.

Im on the fence with the art style, specifically links eyes. Its like nintendos trying to be an indie who is trying to do stylized 3d

Loved it on the gameboy, and never beat. So will prob pickup

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Announced during the direct, figured it deserved its own thread.

OMG!!! My favorite Gameboy Game!! and definitive one of the best Zeldas that i play (even with the bugs)

Im glad to see my Marin again =). Definitive Nintendo Switch is a awesome console

hyrule_warriors_legends_marin_the_legend_of_zelda_links_awakening.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
getting at least 2 Zelda games this gen is rad and puts Switch up there w the best Nintendo consoles. that we will also probably get the BOTW follow up as well is the reason i bought one in the first place.

Meesh

Hillarious. I was hoping for this lol
Seriously though, Link has no business, none, zero, being that fucking cute. All I wanna do is hug the little guy

GAMETA

Banned
Looks like a generic indie game made on UE4 to me.

Hard to like it when Minish Cap on the GBA is so much prettier...

First BotW lack of dungeons and bosses and epicness, now this... what is Aonuma doing to my Zelda :'(

Paracelsus

Looks like a generic indie game made on UE4 to me.

Hard to like it when Minish Cap on the GBA is so much prettier...

First BotW lack of dungeons and bosses and epicness, now this... what is Aonuma doing to my Zelda :'(

Even Link to the Past is so much better looking it's not even funny. It's sad actually.

ExpandKong

Banned
Main problem with the artstyle/graphics is you can tell this was most likely originally started as a 3DS game (especially if old 2016 rumors were true). They bump mapped the hell out of it, and it has that blur similar to 3D Dot Game Heroes to help mask graphical fidelity, in the parts where the camera in zoomed you can tell the graphical quality isn't as good as first appearances, the 2D part with the Goomba's especially looks very basic.

Still, it's charming for what it is, and miles ahead of something like the Secret of Mana remake.

I don't like Link's eyes though, especially when all the enemies have more normalish eyes. Kind of weird, like Link has no soul, like a ginger.

One thing I like about Nintendo games is that, unlike a lot of other big devs, their stuff typically improves visually between reveal and release (Mario 3D World and Odyssey, for example).

Granted, this game is coming out this year so probably not a ton of time left to improve...but even so. This is what everyone wanted, wasn’t it? For Nintendo to stop making 3DS games and move those projects to Switch? Wish granted, looks like.

A damn shame Nintendo didn't shoot for the art style of the 90's promotional artwork.
1.jpg

Still buying this day one, I hope it's not $60.

I WOULD PAY A HUNDRED.

Kidding.
not kidding.

Seriously though. LA was not only my first Zelda game, but the first game I played that had any semblance of a real story, and for all its simplicity that shit hit me hard back in the day. Like, I went to one of the Zelda symphonies just a few years ago and it was all well and good, but the surprise encore Ballad of the Wind Fish legit got me misty eyed. Had the same reaction at the end of this trailer.

Great game. Super pumped about this.

kaczmar

Will this be a short game? How long was the original?

Since it’s using the BoTW style lettering in the title, any chance the games are connected?

Not full price?

This is no mere remaster, it's a full on remake of a 25+ year old game. Of course it's going to be full price.

And it looks tasty. I want to lick those graphics.

Last edited:

LMJ

Certainly a more "cutesy" artstyle, but I loved Links Awakening, so I'm all in on this remake :messenger_beaming:

Tevious

Eh... I really don't care for this cutesy art style with Chibi-Link. They should have at least kept it in the same style as ALBW. I still haven't gotten around to really playing Link's Awakening yet, but I think I'll just stick to the one on my 3DS when I do. Kind of disappointed this wasn't a new game.

Will this be a short game? How long was the original?

Since it’s using the BoTW style lettering in the title, any chance the games are connected?
It was a bit shorter than A Link to the Past being a gameboy game and all, but still decent for a early 90's adventure game. I would say sub 15 hours if you don't get stuck and die much.

i don't mind the Mana remake personally, Link's face on the other hand, is not something I can get behind
I was thinking more of the environments and graphical fidelity, I definitely prefer the Mana remake's designs of the main characters to Link's. Some things just don't transfer over to 3D well, and blank black eyes of a gameboy sprite is one of them.

getting at least 2 Zelda games this gen is rad and puts Switch up there w the best Nintendo consoles.
We usually get two Zeldas per console:

NES: Legend of Zelda, Zelda 2
SNES: Link to the Past
GBC: Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages
N64: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask
GBA: Minish Cap
NGC: Four Swords, Wind Waker
DS: Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks
WII: Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword
3DS: Link Between Worlds, Tri-Force Heroes
Switch: Breath of the Wild

Only one Zelda game on SNES and GBA. List also doesn't include remakes, so the Ocarina/Majora/BS Zelda not counted, nor the HD ports of Wind Waker/Twilight Princess or the upgraded ports of Link's Awakening/Link to the Past.

Link's Awakening remake looks far more substantial than any of the other remakes. I'm curious why they actually bothered to remake it rather than make a remake/sequel like they did with Link Between Worlds.

Top Bottom