• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N-Space and Digital Extremes team up on RPG in "world renowned fantasy franchise"

Developers N-Space and Digital Extremes revealed to GamesBeat that they have reached an agreement to work together on a brand new role-playing game that they claim is “set within a world-renowned fantasy franchise.” Neither company was willing to tell us which fantasy franchise it is, but N-Space notes that it has brought key members of the teams that developed Dragon Age: Origins, Neverwinter Nights, and Baldur’s Gate. The company also said that they now feel comfortable tackling a large product like this thanks to the direct-to-consumer publishing enabled by platforms like Steam, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Wii U — although N-Space and Digital Extremes did not say which platforms they are targeting.
“Our contribution to N-Space’s game is simple and straightforward,” Digital Extremes chief executive James Schmalz said. “We’re a developer that can successfully develop, self-publish, and support an international hit. We proved as much with Warframe and its 14 million players.”

Schmalz says that his studio now has the talent and the means to guide other studios through this process. He thinks that this path enables independent developers, like N-Space, to “achieve a level of success not possible with conventional publisher relations.”
http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/04/v...warframe-studio-to-make-something-of-its-own/

Oregano

At first I thought it was a western FF based on the fact their last game was a Square Enix one but it sounds like it's a self published licensed game.

EDIT: I was somehow beaten with the FF thing.

18-Volt

n-Space? Handhelds, please!

I'm still waiting for the n-Space developed Call of Duty game for 3DS. Now we have the second stick, I see no reason for CoD 3DS not to exist.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If it's self published it's probably something like Warhammer or Dungeons & Dragons or Game of Thrones instead of a game IP.

Oregano

Didn't N-Space make that 3DS hack-n-slash Heroes of Ruin? That looked generic as hell, but it's sitting on my to-play pile.

^^They did.

It's an alright game. The main thing it had going for it was the awesome online setup, the rest of the game is aggressively mediocre.

Why you all suggesting just game franchises? The way it reads, I would kind of expect a Game of Thrones/LotR/Narnia/Pern/etc... francise.

“To support N-Space and this unannounced RPG — and if you’re an old school gamer you’re going to flip when you see it — is a real privilege,” he said. “Our company spent 20 years making games for other people. We stepped into the wild with Warframe and earned our success. Now we get to help others take those same steps.”

PetrCobra

Haven't heard of Digital Extremes before but n-Space also developed Geist for the Gamecube at the end of its life. Some years ago the company almost went under when it couldn't secure any more contracts for some time, they wrote on Facebook that they are closing the office temporarily and hoping for the best, in the end they managed to get through it.

Will be interested in seeing whatever it is they're cooking, however if the first reply is right it probably won't be too high of a priority for me anyway as I try to focus on Nintendo platforms mostly. May still get it on Steam down the line. Hope they are finally making a big game and enjoy success with it.

Haunted

Haven't heard of Digital Extremes before but n-Space also developed Geist for the Gamecube at the end of its life. Some years ago the company almost went under when it couldn't secure any more contracts for some time, they wrote on Facebook that they are closing the office temporarily and hoping for the best, in the end they managed to get through it.

Will be interested in seeing whatever it is they're cooking, however if the first reply is right it probably won't be too high of a priority for me anyway as I try to focus on Nintendo platforms mostly. May still get it on Steam down the line. Hope they are finally making a big game and enjoy success with it.
Digital Extremes worked on some of the older Unreal Tournament games. Dark Sector, Homefront, The Darkness 2, Star Trek, Warframe. Their bread and butter are usually shooters, but from the PR it sounds like they're more in a publisher role for this, with n-space developing.

Digital Extremes worked on some of the older Unreal Tournament games. Dark Sector, Homefront, The Darkness 2, Star Trek, Warframe. Their bread and butter are usually shooters, but from the PR it sounds like they're more in a publisher role for this, with n-space developing.

This sounds interesting. Given DE's success with Warframe and FTP, I would initially assume it will be a free-to-play game. The thing that throws me for a loop, is the 'World renowned fantasy franchise' part. Are they just referring to Warframe? I guess that's more sci-fi. It also wouldn't make sense to dev another ftp game in the same genre, so unless it was Warframe IP with different gameplay systems...this sounds like something else though.

injurai

Banned
Self-published... I wonder what that leaves on the table. Sounds like they have picked up some license of older series.

Jakoo

From Article said:
A new Dungeons & Dragons game is coming to PC in 2015. Developed in collaboration by n-Space and Digital Extremes, Sword Coast Legends will allow parties of up to four human players to cooperate in adventures managed in real-time by human Dungeon Masters.

The Wii U game of my dreams, coming to PC! Obviously the online component will make this work but I have always hoped that there would be a D&D style game where the Dungeon Master did his scheming on the gamepad.

Do N-Space still get work making 3DS versions of franchises?

Because I haven't seen a whole lot from them lately. I did wonder how they'd survive without (seems like assisting AAA development on consoles is how if this is any indication).

Miletius

So PC-only or also coming to consoles?

According to the article, PC only. There isn't a "for now" or "only" caveat, which means that I guess the question remains open ended.

DM mode looks interesting. The preview video doesn't really do it justice I think, but the article says that the tools are very robust, and it actually rewards the DM in some fashion so that might be fun.

Top Bottom