• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N3 first impressions

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DCharlie said:
Just played a bit - it's pretty fun, but so far it's just mash-mash-mash.

AI is still pretty thick , but the slashing through hordes of enemies is pretty fun. Graphically, it's not bad at all so far - frame rate is stable (although looking at Reno-'s post that might change) things all look good enough. The music is pretty good so far as well.

Will try and play some more, but i have Okami to try now too! :D

Sooo....better than the demo?

Gonna be picking this up with DBZ for PSP and probably Spectral Vs Generation on PS2. Dunno about Okami in Japanese, although I'm so damn tempted. :(

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Lyte Edge said:

Gonna be picking this up with DBZ for PSP and probably Spectral Vs Generation on PS2. Dunno about Okami in Japanese, although I'm so damn tempted. :(
Don't forget Mother.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

yeah, it's better than the demo - although that doesn't take much :/

Lyte Edge

Good to know. I just went to the game store a few minutes ago (figured no one would miss me in the teachers' room if I made it quick...heh heh), and there were three people waiting in line: A guy buying N3, his girlfriend, who had already bought N3, and their friend, who was also about to buy N3. That's amazing for a 360 release out here; I'd never even SEEN anyone else buying 360 games other than myself before these guys! :lol

Sold some games, then walked out with N3, Spectral Vs. Generation, and DBZ Shin Budokai. They're holding the last copy of KOF Orochi Saga for me. :D Gonna go back for it after work.

jj984jj said:
Don't forget Mother.

I don't play RPGs (BOOOOOOORING), sometimes there are some exceptions (usually Western RPGs), and this game could be one of them, but I'd wait for the English release first. :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Im worried that they wont have any 360s or copies of n3 when i get to akiba tonight...

should i not be?

Lyte Edge

sp0rsk said:
Im worried that they wont have any 360s or copies of n3 when i get to akiba tonight...

should i not be?

Haha no, it's the Japanese XBox 360.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
you laugh, but i've been looking for the X360 baseball game everywhere with no luck :(

Speevy

Banned
Do Japanese retailers take you back to a basement to unlock the room which leads to the great mountain of unsold Xbox 360 games? And do they laugh while doing so?

Lyte Edge

360 stuff is just out of the way, for the most part. Depends on the store; local shop has a part of their shelf space behind the now-large DS shelf with all the used and new Xbox/XBox 360 stuff, and they put new 360 releases out with all the other games. Yamada Denki (huge electronics store) has a tiny little space of shelf for 360 stuff, in the back of the game area, and they never put out the new releases in the front with the PS2/PSP/DS/GC/GBA stuff. You'd never know they even carried stuff for the 360 if you went there. But there's another game/DVD/CD shop (GEO) out where my buddy lives that has a large 360 display, complete with "viewing booth" with the 360 on a huge screen showing the latest games. They had the N3 demo going last time I was there.

DCharlie said:
you laugh, but i've been looking for the X360 baseball game everywhere with no luck :(

Wow, seriously? I saw that everywhere around here last week...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Speevy said:
Why don't they have demos for this stuff on Xbox Live Japan?

I assume because the internet isn't as widespread in Japan as it is in the states.

Lyte Edge

TheTrin said:
I assume because the internet isn't as widespread in Japan as it is in the states.

Naw. Maybe out in farm country with all the hicks, but it's all over the place in "civilization." :) There's even Yahoo BB shops to go alongside all the Yahoo BB booths at the big electronics stores in all the towns/cities I've been to.

There are also more online PS2 games in Japan as well, using the KDDI service.

AFAIK, the N3 demo is the only demo to have been released this way. Guess they just wanted people to pre-order.

Lyte Edge

sp0rsk said:
I totally understand the achievements phonemon now.

Just think, sp0rsk, when you buy a J360 tonight, you'll help raise the bar to a grand total of 137 units sold!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Lyte Edge said:
Just think, sp0rsk, when you buy a J360 tonight, you'll help raise the bar to a grand total of 137 units sold!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

GAMECUBES GOIN DOWN THIS WEEK.

Shompola

Banned
Maybe worth checking out the Asian version if that one is region free? Or is that the one play-asia says is not region free?

duckroll

Bebpo got the game and some other people have finished it. It appears the "savior of MS Japan" is another lameass failure! :lol

- Repetive gameplay
- Huge maps with tons of enemies that are all the same
- If you stop mashing buttons you take cheap hits and might die
- If you die you have to play the entire boring level all over again
- Crappy hit detection
- The story sucks
- The voice acting sucks
- There is no lip sync
- The animation in cutscenes suck
- The sound effects are weak
- No crowd noises
- The multi-angle story doesn't even make sense, some scenarios are simply "what if"
- The entire plot is spelled out in the manual and there is no twist
- Dynasty Warriors is better
- Samurai Warriors is better
- Ikukagumi is better
- Mizuguchi am cry
- Korea am cry
- Etc etc

Mrbob

duckroll said:
Bebpo got the game and some other people have finished it. It appears the "savior of MS Japan" is another lameass failure! :lol

- Repetive gameplay
- Huge maps with tons of enemies that are all the same
- If you stop mashing buttons you take cheap hits and might die
- If you die you have to play the entire boring level all over again
- Crappy hit detection
- The story sucks
- The voice acting sucks
- There is no lip sync
- The animation in cutscenes suck
- The sound effects are weak
- No crowd noises
- The multi-angle story doesn't even make sense, some scenarios are simply "what if"
- The entire plot is spelled out in the manual and there is no twist
- Dynasty Warriors is better
- Samurai Warriors is better
- Ikukagumi is better
- Mizuguchi am cry

- Korea am cry
- Etc etc

Accomplished. Buy DW5 Empires!!!!!!!!!

Oh and you forgot Dcharlie am cry. :D

duckroll

Okay talked to Bebpo more.... apparently it gets worse!

The hit detection in the game is complete and utter shit for anything that attacks in a straight line. Basically boss fights consist of you using an invincible NPC to decoy the boss while running behind him and stabbing his ass hoping to register SOME hits on the combos and praying he doesn't turn around and slash you for 50% damage. Of course if he DOES, the hit might not register anyway because the hit detection is so shit. Boss fights are boring, repetive and scary because if you die because the engine is so shit, you have to replay the entire fucking stage again. What a waste of time! :lol

Mrbob

duckroll said:
Okay talked to Bebpo more.... apparently it gets worse!

The hit detection in the game is complete and utter shit for anything that attacks in a straight line. Basically boss fights consist of you using an invincible NPC to decoy the boss while running behind him and stabbing his ass hoping to register SOME hits on the combos and praying he doesn't turn around and slash you for 50% damage. Of course if he DOES, the hit might not register anyway because the hit detection is so shit. Boss fights are boring, repetive and scary because if you die because the engine is so shit, you have to replay the entire fucking stage again. What a waste of time! :lol

Wow, Miziguchi touch denied again. MS should stop trying to find half ass projects and just buy out Koei. Let the masters at Omega Force show the world how it is done.

duckroll

More bad news! In the stages of the game, there are about a gazillion random short "cutscenes" that show boring stuff like enemies appearing from a distance, enemies retreating, an enemy camp, or whatever. The problem is you have no idea WHEN the cutscenes will be triggered when you're first playing the stage, and the programming is so shit that if you pull off your super special that takes a LONG TIME to build the bar up to max and then a cutscene suddenly starts, when it's over the move is reset and your bar is empty. Also it seems that after each cutscene weird bugs seem to happen. Sometimes you're teleported from your last location to somewhere nearby for no reason, sometimes you were killing tons of enemies then when the cutscene ends you're surrounded and getting hammered. Random shit, poor programming, tons of glitches! This is sounding better and better! :lol

puebla

duckroll said:
More bad news! In the stages of the game, there are about a gazillion random short "cutscenes" that show boring stuff like enemies appearing from a distance, enemies retreating, an enemy camp, or whatever. The problem is you have no idea WHEN the cutscenes will be triggered when you're first playing the stage, and the programming is so shit that if you pull off your super special that takes a LONG TIME to build the bar up to max and then a cutscene suddenly starts, when it's over the move is reset and your bar is empty. Also it seems that after each cutscene weird bugs seem to happen. Sometimes you're teleported from your last location to somewhere nearby for no reason, sometimes you were killing tons of enemies then when the cutscene ends you're surrounded and getting hammered. Random shit, poor programming, tons of glitches! This is sounding better and better! :lol
you're really enjoying this, aren't you?

but anyway, other people have said it's fun so whatever.

Brofist

puebla said:
you're really enjoying this, aren't you?

but anyway, other people have said it's fun so whatever.

I'm sure he enjoys spending 7000 yen plus on games he doesn't like! If you are going to dispute his opinion at least have played the game yourself and offer your own input and not just "other people said it was fun"

duckroll

kpop100 said:
I'm sure he enjoys spending 7000 yen plus on games he doesn't like! If you are going to dispute his opinion at least have played the game yourself and offer your own input and not just "other people said it was fun"

Well to be fair he's right. *I* didn't pay 7000yen for it, since I don't have a Xbox360 yet. I'm just relaying Bebpo's impressions since he's still on exile. I'm the one having fun, unfortunately, Bebpo isn't. :(

C4Lukins

Can we change the name of this thread to "The people who hoped N3 would fail, are beside themselves with joy that it did not turn out very good?"

Aaron

Does anyone know when Ikusa Gami is going to hit the states? It's supposedly better than N3 at doing the same thing, and there's rumors its coming out by Konami under the name of Demon Chaos, which is about as generic as generic can be.

I though N3 wouldn't be good from the first vid, but I'm only saddened that my believe turned out to be true. I especially dislike what I hear about the non-connected storylines, when the KUF series excelled in binding all its stories together.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Wow. Kingdom Under Fire + Mizuguchi = Hard Fail. Who knew?

At least the soundtrack is good. Right? ...Right?

I'm seriously wondering how well the 360's dev tools have been translated to Japanese now, jeez.

bloke

Aaron said:
Does anyone know when Ikusa Gami is going to hit the states? It's supposedly better than N3 at doing the same thing, and there's rumors its coming out by Konami under the name of Demon Chaos, which is about as generic as generic can be.
Ikusagami is worst pos of hack'n'slash I've ever played, if you want better alternative to DW/SW try Basara or it's slightly changed western version; Devil Kings. Basara 2 should be out soon in JP aswell.

As for N3, been reading through N3 threads on 2ch since the release, and majority of impressions are nowhere near as bad as Bebpo comments, looks like most of people are having fun with it, biggest complain goes to retarded saving system; it's easy to overwrite you current state or something.
I'm still enthusiastic about the game, won't get it till western release though.

Servizio said:
Wow. Kingdom Under Fire + Mizuguchi = Hard Fail. Who knew?

At least the soundtrack is good. Right? ...Right?

I'm seriously wondering how well the 360's dev tools have been translated to Japanese now, jeez.
I don't know if it's a dev tool issue. Right from the start this sounded like a really bad idea to me. I REALLY wanted Mizuguchi to make it awesome, but in my heart I never truly thought he could. It's just too far removed from his game design sensibilities. Even if this game had a lot more polish, I don't think it could have been anything better than "fun, but nothing special."

Top Bottom