• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco announces Code Vein (UE4, console, 2018), ARPG from God Eater team [Up: Art]

DKHF

No platforms announced yet. The game uses Unreal Engine 4.

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/bandai-namco-announces-code-vein-new-action-rpg-god-eater-team
The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals Code Vein, a new ”dungeon exploration-type, hard action RPG" from Bandai Namco developed by the team behind God Eater. It is due out in 2018 for unannounced platform(s).

Code Vein was teased via a short video. An official worldwide reveal is set for April 20.

The game is set in a near future where everything has gone to ruin. Players are Revenants, vampires that possess supernatural abilities, that will take on the truth of the world while working together with allies.

In order to survive, Revenants live in an isolated society called ”Vein." The Revenant is a being that has transcended humanity, but as a result has lost most of their memories. A Revenant who is short on blood will turn into a monster called a ”Lost."

One of the main features of Code Vein is the ”Buddy" system. When exploring dungeons, you can bring a single partner along.

Revenants mainly use close-range weapons such as great swords and one-handed swords. Other weapons such as spears and hammers also exist.

Staff working on the project includes:

Producer: Keita Iizuka
Director: Hiroshi Yoshimura
Project Team Leader: Yusuke Tomizawa

Development is currently 35 percent complete. A trailer will be revealed shortly, likely when the game is officially announced on April 20.

Info about some key terms in the link.

Teaser posted last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qlKNHgxmSE

More:

Code Vein is being made on a separate development line from the God Eater series, as a way to take on a new challenge.

When asked if there are any connections to God Eater, Tomizawa says they're advancing through its development to make it into a new title that can offer a new gaming experience.

The developers described the meaning behind the English word of ”Vein" and ”Code." They want you to think of it as ”codes for blood."

”Vein" is the name of the closed world that players will be exploring in Code Vein. Here, you'll try to find its hidden truth.

They're calling the genre for it a ”dramatic dungeon-exploring action RPG." It'll involve exploring the adjoining areas with tense atmosphere, as explore and travel. They feel that its strong sense of accomplishment sets it apart from your average genre of ”dungeon-exploring action RPG."

You'll get to go on a journey with a ”Buddy," in a game with difficulty that might make you quit if it were solo, but said to bring an even bigger sense of accomplishment from its many obstacles you'll have to overcome.

Your ”Buddy" is controlled by AI, but there will be times where the players will need to help their Buddies.

Code Vein is being made with Unreal Engine 4.

They can't share a clear answer for which hardware it is being made for, but they plan to release it on console.

A new trailer is expected to be revealed in early-May.

They aim to make it a worldwide title from Japan.

As the team leader, Yusuke Tomizawa will oversee both God Eater and Code Vein.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/1...-separate-line-god-eater/#ivtlASO9miXkQybb.99

C9yLU0PUAAAtDui.jpg:large

Durante

Between the confirmed coop, souls-like, UE4, and teaser aesthetics I'm very excited about this.

Unless it's not on PC, but of course it will be on PC. "Anime Souls" will make millions on Steam for Bandai Namco. In a day.
Just the cards.

These games live and die by how good the combat is. I've never played God Eater, but if they're doing this genre then they need to live up to the highs of Souls and Nioh.

So it's UE4? It's definitely on the Switch atleast. They said there was 20 UE4 Japanese games being made for it. This is really cool to see. Ready to see more.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I love God Eater, so I trust them to make a great action RPG. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

If God Eater is Monster Hunter Lite, this should be Dark Souls Lite.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hey salromano, I know the original jpn source says "God Eater Team" but do we know if it's only the producer (who works for Bamco) or there are Shift people on the project?
Maybe they mean the Namco people who were on it? I imagine Shift is doing God Eater 3 given how that game looks nigh identical to the previous ones.

Masagiwa

Hope they reveal some gameplay on the 20th. If the artstyle in the game is the same as in the teaser im interested.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Probably not actually Shift. Or maybe they have a "B team" now and this is their "A team"...

Aesthetics of the teaser are lovely. Stark red white and black are so in right now.

It still amazes me how fast information travels nowadays...the Famitsu flying getter gets it from the printer or whatever, and 30 minutes later Kotaku is citing Gematsu is citing Estelle citing flying getter. Wow!

DPB

Hey salromano, I know the original jpn source says "God Eater Team" but do we know if it's only the producer (who works for Bamco) or there are Shift people on the project?

The director and team leader in the OP both worked on God Eater 2.

Lakitu

st5fu
Very interesting. The world needs more actual good Souls-like games like Nioh. I'll keep an eye out on this one but nothing will top a new From Software project for me.

I guess this marks the end of Bandai Namco's relationship with From Software.

Dinda

As said in the other Thread, this sounds exactly like what i had hoped for. It was clear that Bamco wouldn't just let their Dark Souls buisness go without trying to make something in the same space that could be a succesor for them. And from what we heard it sound exactly like the thing you can actually have faith in them delivering. Anime Souls.
And UE4 sounds briliant. Hope for PC (where i will buy it) PS4 and switch. Switch for the handheld crowd, because that would at least not hold back the others as much as the vita was for GOD Eater. (which of course wad a handheld franchise first and foremost)

Cornbread78

interesting premise on this one....

I look forward to more gameplay vids. I'd take it if it plays more like Sword Art Online; Hollow Fragments as an action RPG...

Sounds like they are going more towards the Souls/Nioh route, which is a huge turn-off for me; depends on their definition of "hardcore"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if they'll take the same approach as God Eater and try to differentiate with a heavy story focus on top of the anime art style (though uh, hopefully not the same writing direction).

They do have the same AI partner idea which was a tie for that in God Eater.

duckroll

I wonder if they'll take the same approach as God Eater and try to differentiate with a heavy story focus on top of the anime art style (though uh, hopefully not the same writing direction).

I think at the very least, a story-driven Souls-like is the baseline expectation here. When Japan says "dramatic" in gaming they usually mean "sit back and watch cutscenes".

Jamaro85

Excited I am.

Between the confirmed coop, souls-like, UE4, and teaser aesthetics I'm very excited about this.

Unless it's not on PC, but of course it will be on PC. "Anime Souls" will make millions on Steam for Bandai Namco. In a day.
Just the cards.

Your “Buddy” is controlled by AI, but there will be times where the players will need to help their Buddies.

That really is disappointing if there is no option to make this player controlled.

Gbraga

I guess this marks the end of Bandai Namco's relationship with From Software.

Not necessarily. They did say they were done with Souls and Soulslike, maybe Namco just wants more games to appeal to that audience, while still being interested in whatever From Software comes up with next.

Waji

Color me interested.

Reading God Eater I was picturing online multiplayer which I don't want as the main focus in a game.
But after checking the details i'm intrigued.

Durante

That really is disappointing if there is no option to make this player controlled.
Wait, didn't I read about coop in the other thread? Did I imagine that?

Not having coop would severely limit my interest.

Edit -- other thread:
Bandai Namco's Code Vain take place in ruined near-future. Player is a Revenant that has superpower, has to coop with friends to seek truth.

Ascheroth

Wait, didn't I read about coop in the other thread? Did I imagine that?

Not having coop would severely limit my interest.

Edit -- other thread:

Your “Buddy” is controlled by AI, but there will be times where the players will need to help their Buddies.
I imagine it's like God Eater, where you can take AI partners with you for playing solo, but during online play you can fill their slots with real players instead.

Top Bottom