• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco announces Code Vein (UE4, console, 2018), ARPG from God Eater team [Up: Art]

I'm really looking forward to seeing more on this game! Hate to be yet another one of those guys, but hopefully it comes to Switch. :D

Zeta Oni

This ones throwing me for a loop in terms of gameplay, reminds me of a few different games:

The AI partner and Action-RPG focus reminds me of Dragons Dogma.

The way the blood veil is described and the relationship between it and mutating into a "lost" reminds me of Soul Sacrifice.

And the overall trailer invokes some memories of Dark Souls, although it has a more anime-based art style.

I love all three, so day one for me. Cant wait to see gameplay.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This ones throwing me for a loop in terms of gameplay, reminds me of a few different games:

The AI partner and Action-RPG focus reminds me of Dragons Dogma.

The way the blood veil is described and the relationship between it and mutating into a "lost" reminds me of Soul Sacrifice.

And the overall trailer invokes some memories of Dark Souls, although it has a more anime-based art style.

I love all three, so day one for me. Cant wait to see gameplay.

The blood stuff and AI buddies largely derive from God Eater 2.

The whole game even had sledgehammer subtlety about it, where you were part of the Blood Unit and had special blood powers, and if your blood got infected, you would turn into a monster.

Aeana

I hope for some measured responses from the people who are absolutely certain it's coming to Switch even despite evidence to the contrary, once the platform announcement is made.

I expect to be disappointed.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I hope for some measured responses from the people who are absolutely certain it's coming to Switch even despite evidence to the contrary, once the platform announcement is made.

Yes. People expecting every single UE4 game from Japan to come to Switch, especially right now probably need to re-calibrate expectations.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Phil's trip to Japan?
I think it's more just that Dark Souls sells really well on Xbox.

If it was something that was not self evidently going to do well on the platform, that would suggest a more direct influence from the console vendor to me.

I highly doubt this is coming to the NS. Hope I'm wrong, though. Just seems like a type of game they'll figure has no market on the system.

How would they figure that? By not releasing it? not saying it's coming, it seems it does not, but this kind of argument is strange.

Zeta Oni

The blood stuff and AI buddies largely derive from God Eater 2.

The whole game even had sledgehammer subtlety about it, where you were part of the Blood Unit and had special blood powers, and if your blood got infected, you would turn into a monster.

Ah, never played a God Eater game, although I did watch the first episode of the anime adaptation. So that closes the Soul Sacrifice comparison, still, I'm really hoping this is something like Bandai Namco's take on a Dragons Dogma type game.

Arkeband

Banned
The "prepare to dine" tagline was a pretty shameless attempt to garner Souls fanbase attention where this looks significantly different.

I'll keep an eye on this but it sounds like Tokyo Ghoul.

I'll probably get this on PC because its probably unlikely there won't be a Switch version.

However why is that people are saying there wouldn't be an audience for this type of game on a Nintendo system? Isn't it a bit foolish to say that and I'm willing to bet a bunch of people would want this type of game on the go because I know I would.

Datschge

I guess this marks the end of Bandai Namco's relationship with From Software.
FROM is now owned by the huge Japanese media conglomerate that is Kadokawa, they likely want to expand internally developed games and bolster their own game publishing front.

Though it will be interesting to see how they'll handle international publishing as FROM handled domestic publishing on their own as well already and Kadokawa has no gaming presence outside Japan.

I'll probably get this on PC because its probably unlikely there won't be a Switch version.

However why is that people are saying there wouldn't be an audience for this type of game on a Nintendo system? Isn't it a bit foolish to say that and I'm willing to bet a bunch of people would want this type of game on the go because I know I would.

self fulfilling prophecy

Speely

Banned

Same. I think it likely that it might get a later release on the Switch. By the time it releases, the Switch will be a more proven platform (or not) and releasing a late port on a portable is a good way to get folks to double-dip, especially when the platform supports the engine well.

EDarkness

How would they figure that? By not releasing it? not saying it's coming, it seems it does not, but this kind of argument is strange.

One of the big arguments used when not bringing games to Nintendo platforms. It's a silly argument, but it's used all the time. With the type of game, I think the NS probably isn't in consideration for a game like this. I hope that isn't the case, though.

One of the big arguments used when not bringing games to Nintendo platforms. It's a silly argument, but it's used all the time. With the type of game, I think the NS probably isn't in consideration for a game like this. I hope that isn't the case, though.

Yeah it would be even more sily on the switch, where the userbase is still growing and consist of a lot of young people (too expensive for kids yet) that love big open world action games. I would say that switch audience is quite different than wii U one.

But again, this argument is, like you say, used very often and has become a self fulfilling prophecy.

I disagree, Bamco has always been big on Vita and PS3. I imagine they'll be refocusing those efforts on Switch. Tales Of is already confirmed.

Tales is a franchise aimed primarily at the domestic (Japanese) market and only secondarily at overseas markets. This sounds like it's going for the Souls audience, which means primarily or at least equally targeting overseas markets, which in turn means that from their perspective, they can probably afford to keep it effectively PS4-exclusive in Japan (as PC and XB1 will obviously never be terribly relevant there).

But of course, that's just speculation and I could be wrong.

As others have said, this also doesn't sound like it fits the publisher-perceived* Nintendo platform demographics particularly well.

*I think said perception is largely correct, but feel free to disagree.

Im sure there is audience for anime souls. In fact I'd argue there is more of an audience for something that looks and sounds anime on a Nintendo system than Xbox.

But no the argument of there is no audience makes sense.

Gbraga

For the record, I believe this posters is being sarcastic about the preservation stuff.

Why would he be? It's definitely something I care about, even with games that didn't even come out. It's why I'm getting my Kickstarter Edition of Bloodstained on PC when it comes out. :D

EDarkness

Im sure there is audience for anime souls. In fact I'd argue there is more of an audience for something that looks and sounds anime on a Nintendo system than Xbox.

But no the argument of there is no audience makes sense.

You may be right, but what company is going to take that chance? Best to keep expectations in check with these kinds of games. Would it be cool? Sure, but the odds are against anyone who's expecting an NS version.

Gbraga

It sounds like a hunting game with more rpg elements.

The name of the genre is “dramatic exploration action RPG.” The “exploration action RPG” genre has players tensely exploring seamlessly connected areas on foot, which offers a great sense of accomplishment. The team put a lot of thought into how it could improve on that formula.

This sounds a lot like Dark Souls world design to me.

Yeah, I think your expectations are in-check.

Why would he be? It's definitely something I care about, even with games that didn't even come out. It's why I'm getting my Kickstarter Edition of Bloodstained on PC when it comes out. :D

Because he's been vocal about how preservation is a silly argument :p

Cartho

Hoping for Switch as I adore the portability thing but not getting my hopes up too high. If not meh, PS4 Pro it is!

EDarkness

Who the fuck advertizes a Japan only game with a spin on a marketing slogan for the English version of a game?

It's coming internationally or Bandai Namco has gone fully nuts.

I'm confused by this response. No one said anything about this game not coming out in other countries....

Pachael

Tales is a franchise aimed primarily at the domestic (Japanese) market and only secondarily at overseas markets. This sounds like it's going for the Souls audience, which means primarily or at least equally targeting overseas markets, which in turn means that from their perspective, they can probably afford to keep it effectively PS4-exclusive in Japan (as PC and XB1 will obviously never be terribly relevant there).

But of course, that's just speculation and I could be wrong.

As others have said, this also doesn't sound like it fits the publisher-perceived* Nintendo platform demographics particularly well.

*I think said perception is largely correct, but feel free to disagree.

I see Namco Bandai releases on the scale of iM@S (almost no chance of localisation) --- Pac Man, Tekken, Souls or popular anime/manga IP in the west like Dragonball/Naruto (considering their popularity in the west, almost certain for localisation)

Things like Tales and Gundam sit in the middle. Katamari too, in hindsight, till it was released to much (initial) love.

I also think that Namco Bandai will push new IP westside if they see it beneficial to their business like what they are doing with God Eater.

Top Bottom