• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco announces Code Vein (UE4, console, 2018), ARPG from God Eater team [Up: Art]

True Fire

What's with the console pussyfooting?

I just think it's silly to discount any console on the basis of "this game looks too cool; therefore they're targeting Western gamers; therefore it's not coming to Switch."

We have to wait and see, ultimately.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
What's with the console pussyfooting?
Because they know what they're doing, they know what people on this forum will be talking about "Its going to be on switch. Its going to be on PlayStation. Its going to be on every thing but switch. I hope there's a pc version" and so on, which in turn garners more attention, if helps that the anime art style lends itself to audiences across nintendo, sony and pc, and the fact that its like souls also puts of in the Microsoft audience radar

Waji

I highly doubt this is coming to the NS. Hope I'm wrong, though. Just seems like a type of game they'll figure has no market on the system.
It doesn't make any sense if we think the Switch can replace the Vita.
And just look at the last Nintendo Direct, you can see it already begins to introduce more Japanese third party games.

I'd actually be surprised to not see this game announced for the Switch.

Sir Doom

Ai controlled buddy. Better have a good Ai. I would hate when that Ai gets stuck or falls off a cliff because of path finding

Ridley327

Ai controlled buddy. Better have a good Ai. I would hate when that Ai gets stuck or falls off a cliff because of path finding

Since this is the God Eater folks, I really wouldn't worry about NPC AI that much. I'm not a big GE fan, but even I can admit that the NPC AI is heads and shoulders above the rest of the hunting action genre.

TreIII

And just look at the last Nintendo Direct, you can see it already begins to introduce more Japanese third party games.

And there's a possibility even Bamco hasn't 100% decided the full loadout for this project that's a year away. For all we know, the game could have been in development well before the Switch was unveiled (much less when it became a nice success in March), and now they can afford to adjust plans accordingly.

If we don't see hardware confirmations on the 20th, then all that says to me is that it looks much better for Switch. I think it would be a good look for the God Eater team to get familiarized with that hardware anyway, if the next God Eater may find its way there too, some day.

maruchan

Weird that they didn't announce the platforms.

suspense, if they announce it for ps4/xb1 already no one would watch their show to introduce their new game...

now if their ambiguous, maybe it could be for switch lets watch to see what systems its for then they get more viewers.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I hope for some measured responses from the people who are absolutely certain it's coming to Switch even despite evidence to the contrary, once the platform announcement is made.

I expect to be disappointed.

I debate we can already call the tags for the video as "evidence", since it could be recycled code that was copied and pasted, so nothing absolutely clear so far.

I don't debate you'll be disappointed with the reactions if the platforms are announced and Switch is not among them though, unfortunately.

Why does every new Japanese game announcement turn into a Switch thread?

Because its a brand new console that just released and people want new games announced for it. Plus from now forward its going to be portable console that Japan needs as a success.

Shahed

People want games for the system....

Because its a brand new console that just released and people want new games announced for it. Plus from now forward its going to be portable console that Japan needs as a success.
I understand that. But surely a thread about a game announcement should be about said game, and not a seperate platform altogether.

Like there are posts talking about how the Souls like mechanic might work, what hard action means, how they expect the game to play based on what we know, what elements may cross over from God Eater, some images from the video that are all on topic. You know stuff about the actual game. I read through looking to find more about these games if possible or if any new info has been released or found, but I just see Switch talk

I understand that. But surely a thread about a game announcement should be about said game, and not a seperate platform altogether.

Like there are posts talking about how the Souls like mechanic might work, what hard action means, how they expect the game to play based on what we know, what elements may cross over from God Eater, some images from the video that are all on topic. You know stuff about the actual game. I read through looking to find more about these games if possible or if any new info has been released or found, but I just see Switch talk

Plus platforms haven't been announced yet so people want to speculate what they might be on.

You should lower your expectations for Switch ports of Japanese-developed games aimed at the worldwide/Western market (which this explicitly is), as opposed to primarily at the domestic market. There may well be exceptions, and Code Vein may even be one of them, but I fully anticipate that most of the games that go Switch/PS4(/PC) will fall into the latter category.

Kinsei

Banned
The God Eater games have awful combat so I must say this greatly diminished my excitement since the teaser was pretty cool. I'm also not a fan of it being a dungeon crawler.

Why use a Souls-esque tag line if the game seemingly has nothing in common with it besides being harder than your average game?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
omg @ all the not-so-subtle console warring in this thread. Jeez people.

Jubenhimer

This could come to the Switch in the future. Remember, Sonic Mania wasn't initially announced for the Switch (then codenamed NX) either, but here we are, with a Switch version. I think Banco, like most 3rd parties, are playing the wait and see game before they fully commit to the Switch.

The God Eater games have awful combat so I must say this greatly diminished my excitement since the teaser was pretty cool. I'm also not a fan of it being a dungeon crawler.

Why use a Souls-esque tag line if the game seemingly has nothing in common with it besides being harder than your average game?

Yeah, if this can't at a minimum be at least as good as DS2, Namco is going to lose a lot of goodwill for trying to upsell Souls fans on something with floaty low-impact combat.

I think there's a good chance we could be looking at something like post-Bungie Halo (And I guess post-Kojima Metal Gear if Survive ever comes out) where someone finds out the hard way the fans were far more loyal to the developer's brand than the game's brand.

Gbraga

I don't know, man, reading the entire link, the influences seem very obvious and strong to me. I guess it depends on what you consider to be the core of Souls.

You'll see so many wildly different ranks of the series exactly because people prioritize different things, and Souls does so many things so well that this is entirely possible.

Personally, to me, the level and world design, along with the boss fights and strong lore are the pillars of a Souls game. At least the world design and overcoming challenges mentality are things this game seem to be trying to achieve, and the marketing tagline making direct reference further confirms where the inspiration for these things comes from.

Becoming intimate with each area and traversing the world through the shortcuts is something that is much more defining to my experience with Dark Souls than stamina management and the difficulty, even though I certainly do appreciate these things as well. So when I read this is creating a connected world, along with the anime art style that I really like, it still makes me excited for this, even though my experience with Nioh was fairly negative and should probably make me wary of future Soulslike titles.

I honestly don't see what's disappointing to people here, except if they expected it to be a From Software title, then I can understand, but other than that, they're doing the "Soulslike" thing completely right, or at least communicating it right, how the game actually handles it remains to be seen.

This quote here:

The name of the genre is ”dramatic exploration action RPG." The ”exploration action RPG" genre has players tensely exploring seamlessly connected areas on foot, which offers a great sense of accomplishment. The team put a lot of thought into how it could improve on that formula.

Is all that I need to see that their heart is in the right place. This will make it a worthwile entry to the genre, to my personal tastes, if they can nail it.

Yeah, if this can't at a minimum be at least as good as DS2, Namco is going to lose a lot of goodwill for trying to upsell Souls fans on something with floaty low-impact combat.

I think there's a good chance we could be looking at something like post-Bungie Halo (And I guess post-Kojima Metal Gear if Survive ever comes out) where someone finds out the hard way the fans were far more loyal to the developer's brand than the game's brand.

But this makes no sense. If you had that expectation, it's entirely on you. I don't expect something as good as From's games from this team, but why should I? This isn't the same as post-Bungie Halo because this is not called Dark Souls. It's not even called anything Souls. It was just a hashtag to get people's attention, hardly upselling.

You can't just judge 343's games as new FPS IPs without the history of Halo because they call it Halo and put it in the Halo universe (or at least I assume that's what they do, I don't play Halo). This isn't the case here.

If every game that failed to live up to From Software's games was an incredible disappointment to me, I think I'd have to quit gaming.

Datschge

We don't know yet if Shift (which developed all non-mobile God Eater games) or someone else is developing. All names mentioned so far are from the Bandai Namco side. The common part with Dark Souls is Bandai Namco being the publisher.

DMONKUMA

I feel like we are gonna get a lot of "is this FromSoft's new project?" On gaf when the game is official revealed.

Gbraga

I feel like we are gonna get a lot of "is this FromSoft's new project?" On gaf when the game is official revealed.

The art style will probably make it obvious. The apparent budget as well, I can't imagine this having the same budget as Bloodborne.

Lork

It seems like Dark-Souls-like has replaced Monster-Hunter-like as the default genre for Japanese games. I can't say I'm unhappy with this development.

But this makes no sense. If you had that expectation, it's entirely on you. I don't expect something as good as From's games from this team, but why should I? This isn't the same as post-Bungie Halo because this is not called Dark Souls. It's not even called anything Souls. It was just a hashtag to get people's attention, hardly upselling.

You can't just judge 343's games as new FPS IPs without the history of Halo because they call it Halo and put it in the Halo universe (or at least I assume that's what they do, I don't play Halo). This isn't the case here.

If every game that failed to live up to From Software's games was an incredible disappointment to me, I think I'd have to quit gaming.

"Prepare to XYZ" has certain expectations behind it. They're clearly marketing to the Dark Souls fanbase directly.

It seems like Dark-Souls-like has replaced Monster-Hunter-like as the default genre for Japanese games. I can't say I'm unhappy with this development.

Well, one has western sales potential, and the other required Nintendo localization and marketing money in order to acquire even a shred of relevance outside of Japan.

One has fans wanting more and more and more, and one has its potential market completely saturated by itself alone with any competition to it falling flat on its face, even in Japan.

Put both of those together and it's only natural that making games like Souls takes the cake - Especially in an era when Japan's gaming market is rapidly shrinking and a western demographic has to be targeted in order to justify making a console game instead of a Mobile one to executives and shareholders. I mean, THAT'S the big one right there. Domestic-targeting Japanese games don't get made for consoles anymore. They get made for Mobile, and maybe handhelds if the director has enough sway in their company. I mean, shit, we're at a point where even Type-Moon content gets localized quickly on console because Japan simply is not profitable enough anymore. It's also why we're seeing Yakuza get localized again suddenly.

The teaser trailer was very intriguing. I've always enjoyed what Bandai Namco puts out. Haven't played God Eater yet, but a new IP from them with the tone of the teaser is very promising.

The teaser trailer was very intriguing. I've always enjoyed what Bandai Namco puts out. Haven't played God Eater yet, but a new IP from them with the tone of the teaser is very promising.
This is entirely unrelated to the thread I just think it's funny that I adopted the name Killer Queen because Crazy Diamond was taken

And now your avatar is Killer Queen.

jonno394

Only just got round to watching the teaser, god damn i love the visual style they went with. I'll be disappointed when the game looks nowhere as unique!

TreIII

I'm glad this isn't a FROM game. Excited for it nonetheless!

Funny enough, this is how I feel, too.

Again, the main thing I'm hoping other devs/pubs take away from Nioh's success is that there's plenty of to room to try your own hand at these types of hard action-rpgs, for yourself. And if it's good, you hopefully will be rewarded for it.

Jamaro85

Wait, didn't I read about coop in the other thread? Did I imagine that?

Not having coop would severely limit my interest.

Edit -- other thread:

Bandai Namco's Code Vain take place in ruined near-future. Player is a Revenant that has superpower, has to coop with friends to seek truth.

Whoops. I feel like I actually read that too. Whelp, even more excited then.

Top Bottom