• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco announces Code Vein (UE4, console, 2018), ARPG from God Eater team [Up: Art]

KillLaCam

Banned
I'm not really a fan of modern anime-ish games but this looks really interesting. But I'm pretty sure I'd like this if it has some cool bosses and music.

The gameplay sounds like Souls and it's explicitly aimed at a worldwide audience.

Mind you, I didn't say that it was well-targeted at the Souls audience, since I agree that the anime art direction will probably turn off a lot of the fans of that style of gameplay, but I suspect that that's the publisher's thinking here.

I hope they don't have high expectations for sales in the west then.

BadWolf

The new gematsu article has some combat details.

Blood plays a big part in the combat and gives you access to various power moves and buffs. Kinda like a power meter for supers/specials from fighting games?

Sounds pretty cool. There are various types of blood equipment and they change shape (such as masks) after they get enough blood to do the power moves.

I was replying to this part

Hence why I said I hope people would pay attention to the gameplay more than the art style.

Oh, my bad.

raven777

I wonder how the game progression will be like. If it's going to be just normal JRPG style or stage based like Nioh. I kinda expect the latter.

Wish they committed to a more cell shaded look like the Naruto games. We need more cell shaded games this generation. I'm surprised there are so little this far in the gen.

Wish they committed to a more cell shaded look like the Naruto games. We need more cell shaded games this generation. I'm surprised there are so little this far in the gen.

Gravity Rush 2, Breath of the Wild, Furi, God Wars: Future Past and Persona 5? Upcoming off the top of my head we have Dragon Quest XI and Nino Kuni 2. We've gotten plenty so far.

LordKano

It doesn't look bad in the screens honestly. Yes it's not as good as the art seemed to make people think, it's still has more style than God Eater.

Mister Wolf

No they didn't.
It's not because you can downscale a game with UE4 that you can downscale everything with UE4.
It depends on what you're doing with the engine and while something like Snake Pass can be downscaled for obvious reasons, it doesn't mean something like FFVIIr for exemple can be.

What are the obvious reasons why Snake Pass can be downscaled but not other UE4 games.

BadWolf

Edit: Since blood is involved, more like AnimeBourne

Weapon feeding has always been a thing in God Eater. From the wiki:

By devouring an Aragami that is still alive, God Eaters obtain an Aragami bullet that can be fired back and temporarily enter a state called "Burst Mode" in which their speed, strength and energy regeneration increase.

Feels like people are giving FROM way too much credit these days.

What are the obvious reasons why Snake Pass can be downscaled but not other UE4 games.

It's a smaller scale game. It does display neat effects but geometry is limited, levels are small and there are really few physics elements involved.

Now, I didnt said "other UE4 games cant be downscaled". I said UE4 isnt a magic trick that means everything can be ported and downscaled the same way Snake Pass was.

It doesn't look bad in the screens honestly. Yes it's not as good as the art seemed to make people think, it's still has more style than God Eater.

I would even say it does look great but that'd likely because it's downsampled af and looks really clean.

Kudo

They had me interest with that teaser, now they have my money.
Anime-style Souls is all I ever asked for.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Don't like the style from the scan at all, and I am only with a sad face happy to be right predicting this wouldn't have anything to do with souls.

Oh well, let's see how it'll turn out.

AlucardGV

Banned
Code-Vein-Scans_04-19-17_007.jpg

I just realized this is a screenshot.

Yeah, I'm in.

if the game is like this i'm in. if it's like in the trailer, not so in...

A big budget jrpg/arpg with a dark theme? I am interested. The art isn't as cool as the teaser that is for sure, but it looks pretty good graphically.

Kinsei

Banned
Nioh, NieR, Zelda, and Persona 5 all have anime aesthetics and they're all GOTY contenders.

It's not like I trust Bamco to put out a GOTY contender, but anime doesn't automatically mean shit.

There's a ton of variation in all of those games though. This just looks like a shitty generic anime that everyone forgets once the season ends.

jonno394

If the video's meta tags are anything to go by, it's not releasing on the Switch.

I just assumed that the USA branch put the trailer up without knowing the full details and just included all platforms they could think of (poor switch got overlooked), wouldnt be the first time the right hand (USA PR) doesn't know what the Left hand is doing

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Okay, now this is clearly a game from the God Eater guys. I guess the teaser was made in America without their input or art?

Durante

The art style is a bit pedestrian after the teaser, but I can certainly live with it if they deliver a decently competent souls-like ARPG with coop. Not nearly enough of those.

Top Bottom