• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco announces Code Vein (UE4, console, 2018), ARPG from God Eater team [Up: Art]

DMONKUMA

Maybe this game being released in 2018 is an indicator that we shouldn't be expecting a new Souls game for a few years considering that Bandai-Namco publishes those and likely wouldn't want to cannibalize sales of this smaller property. Hopefully that means we get a re-envisioned Armored Core...please God!

Well.....From has stated that it's one of their three projects and it's the 20th anniversary of the series this year plus E3 is soon.....maybe just maybe.

sn00zer

Trying not to be overly negative, but got damn everything about that trailer was incredible and this is literally nothing like it. Not art style, not tone, nothing. Trailer was advertising a very different game.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Well.....From has stated that it's one of their three projects and it's the 20th anniversary of the series this year plus E3 is soon.....maybe just maybe.

OMFG, I love you! Armored Core Souls! Omg, we're not ready for this! I'm just hoping for some man versus mecha action in this.

Some Nobody

Ugh. That trailer looked horrid, why are we still talking about this?

*looks at the new art* Oh. Well. Now I'm interested. Looks kinda like Owari no Seraph. Guess I'll check out the trailer in May now.

DMONKUMA

OMFG, I love you! Armored Core Souls! Omg, we're not ready for this! I'm just hoping for some man versus mecha action in this.

Eh.....I don't think they will transform it into a Souls game as it wouldn't fit what Armored Core is. If anything it'll be closer to 4 and For Answer if Miyazaki is directing.

Dio

Banned
What post has the gameplay description that sounds like a "souls" game?

In the gematsu article.

The player will become a member of the Revenants, and while working together with allies, explore the world of Vein where countless Losts of all types, big and small, wander about. In doing so, players will draw near the full story behind the birth of the Revenants and the mysteries of Vein itself, a city fallen to ruin by the thorns of judgment. Will the cause of the ruin be connected to the birth of the Revenants? What is the truth that awaits them on this desperate journey?

You’ll witness Vein’s variety of faces—from mountainous regions enclosed by ice to caves and underground shopping areas—as you travel alongside your Buddy. There will even be dark areas full of dangers. Pay attention for the Losts lurking in the darkness of these areas while relying on the little amount of light you have available.

Also the teaser tagline being 'Prepare to Dine.' Clearly Souls inspired in marketing as well.

Basically, the 'explore a ruined world while wading through dark and dangerous places and being extra careful while you collect a consumable currency so you can get stronger' sounds pretty Souls to me, especially since they describe it as an Action RPG. Hell, it sounds more Bloodborne.

charsace

Trying not to be overly negative, but got damn everything about that trailer was incredible and this is literally nothing like it. Not art style, not tone, nothing. Trailer was advertising a very different game.
So I'm not the only one who thought the trailer was misleading. What I am seeing in the pics is different from the trailer. Just not the same feel.

Yeah after seeing those screenshots this is PS4/PC. Looks like a current gen game being made for current gen tech.

This is never coming to Switch. Every time there's a new game being announced you people immediately assume it's for Switch and it never is. Hopefully this is the last time you learn your lesson.

I have a Switch. But even i'm not that blind. The Switch is barely more powerful than Wii U. It's not getting AAA graphically extensive 3rd Party games. So never getting stuff like FFXV, KH3, RDR2, Witcher 3, etc.

And it's especially never getting exclusives like FFVII:R, FFXII:TZA, Persona 5, KH Remasters, WoF, etc.

So I have no clue why that's brought up either.

The Switch getting ports of mediocre Japanese games like Fates, Senran Kagura, etc. and whatnot also doesn't mean it's getting AAA Japanese 3rd Party support.

Let it go.

Datschge

So I'm confused. Is the game art style that neat subdued style from the trailer or that generic weird none of the weapons or clothing makes sense anime-style in the art from the mag.
It was a teaser "inspired" by the game. Now I want a game inspired by that teasing teaser...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I think some people have been mislead because of this:
Original Animation Credits
Production Company: Lizzi Akana LLC
Director: Lizzi Akana
Character Design/Storyboard Art: Marika Cowan
Background Design: Jennifer Leaver
Animation: Lizzi Akana, Marika Cowan
Compositing: Andrew Macfarlane
Music: Fritz Myers (Platitude Music)

The teaser was made in America and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the actual game.

Kinsei

Banned
I think some people have been mislead because of this:

The teaser was made in America and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the actual game.

I wonder if doing stuff like that really benefit a game? It always turns me off when the actual game is revealed.

Calm Mind

Yeah after seeing those screenshots this is PS4/PC. Looks like a current gen game being made for current gen tech.

This is never coming to Switch. Every time there's a new game being announced you people immediately assume it's for Switch and it never is. Hopefully this is the last time you learn your lesson.

I have a Switch. But even i'm not that blind. The Switch is barely more powerful than Wii U. It's not getting AAA graphically extensive 3rd Party games. So never getting stuff like FFXV, KH3, RDR2, Witcher 3, etc.

And it's especially never getting exclusives like FFVII:R, FFXII:TZA, Persona 5, KH Remasters, WoF, etc.

So I have no clue why that's brought up either.

The Switch getting ports of mediocre Japanese games like Fates, Senran Kagura, etc. and whatnot also doesn't mean it's getting AAA Japanese 3rd Party support.

Let it go.

The possibility of a game slated for a 2018 release at the earliest, created with UE4 and Japanese and from one of Nintendo's best software partners releasing on the Switch is not as far fetched as you would think.

The possibility of a game slated for a 2018 release at the earliest, created with UE4 and Japanese and from one of Nintendo's best software partners releasing on the Switch is not as far fetched as you would think.

It's far fetched because the system can't run games like this because it's not strong enough. Not hard to understand. It essentially runs last gen tech. And since when did Namco become Nintendo's best software partners? Because of Smash? I didn't realize Nintendo consoles in the last decade had Dark Souls, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Digimon, God Eater, etc.

It's going to be PS4/PC or simply just PS4. Especially considering God Eater 2 bundled with God Eater 1 literally just came out for PS4/Vita and that was after the demand from people to bring over from Japan. They were testing out sales to see if the franchise has a future. This looks like it's the next step in the God Eater franchise. A more graphically extensive God Eater game to entice those same users who bought it on PS4/Vita.

jj984jj

It's going to be PS4/PC or simply just PS4. Especially considering God Eater 2 bundled with God Eater 1 literally just came out for PS4/Vita and that was after the demand from people to bring over from Japan. They were testing out sales to see if the franchise has a future. This looks like it's the next step in the God Eater franchise. A more graphically extensive God Eater game to entice those same users who bought it on PS4/Vita.

What do you mean? God Eater had the same content on all three platforms.

What do you mean? God Eater had the same content on all three platforms.

What do you mean? Of course it did. I'm not sure what you mean here. It's on PS4/Vita and it looks the same on both since it's essentially a port of the PSP game with the Vita game. But my point was that this game is to get those people to buy a more graphically extensive game that was built for the PS4 rather than last gen tech or a handheld.

jj984jj

What do you mean? Of course it did. I'm not sure what you mean here. It's on PS4/Vita and it looks the same on both since it's essentially a port of the PSP game with the Vita game. But my point was that this game is to get those people to buy a more graphically extensive game that was built for the PS4 rather than last gen tech or a handheld.

But the PC version also had both games. It was the same on all three platforms.

KrawlMan

It's far fetched because the system can't run games like this because it's not strong enough. Not hard to understand. It essentially runs last gen tech. And since when did Namco become Nintendo's best software partners? Because of Smash? I didn't realize Nintendo consoles in the last decade had Dark Souls, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Digimon, God Eater, etc.

Oh? When I checked out the pics the only thing that didn't seem feasible on Switch was how clean the images looked, which could be attributed to AA, resolution or bullshots. Not sure what you're on about here but this game doesn't look remotely cutting edge. It's not some massive open world tech showcase, and that's about the only type of game Switch wouldn't be able to handle.

Switch won't get AAA western support (at least not for a while), but as DQXI and SMT are early indicators, Japan is a different story.

...No

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/1...-eater-teams-new-action-rpg-touch-dark-souls/

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/god-eater-team-building-new-action-rpg-code-vein

http://nichegamer.com/2017/04/18/god-eater-team-reveals-a-new-dark-souls-sounding-game-code-vein/

Dark Souls may be over, but Bandai Namco isn't ready to leave that sweet, sweet Souls money behind. The publisher has announced Code Vein, an action RPG from the team that brought you the God Eater series.

Dude, it's even in the press release.

Oregano

...No

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/1...-eater-teams-new-action-rpg-touch-dark-souls/

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/god-eater-team-building-new-action-rpg-code-vein

http://nichegamer.com/2017/04/18/god-eater-team-reveals-a-new-dark-souls-sounding-game-code-vein/

Dark Souls may be over, but Bandai Namco isn't ready to leave that sweet, sweet Souls money behind. The publisher has announced Code Vein, an action RPG from the team that brought you the God Eater series.

There is literally a new God Eater game in development so just stop.

Arms isn't the new Mario Kart either.

There is literally a new God Eater game in development so just stop.

Arms isn't the new Mario Kart either.

...Just because there is a new God Eater game in development doesn't mean that same team has other teams working on other projects. Literally, it's in the press release. Forget that, it's in the fucking OP dude. What are you talking about Lol

This game is being made the God Eater team.

Oregano

...Just because there is a new God Eater game in development doesn't mean that same team has other teams working on other projects. Literally, it's in the press release. Forget that, it's in the fucking OP dude. What are you talking about Lol

This game is being made the God Eater team.

What are YOU talking about?

You said it's a God Eater game. It isn't.

What are YOU talking about?

You said it's a God Eater game. It isn't.

Jesus Christ, do you have reading comprehension problems or something!?

Not once did I say that. And the one time I was mentioning "graphically extensive God Eater game" I didn't mean this is a God Eater game. Just that is THAT team's next game due to the success of those God Eater games on PS4/Vita. The game is being made by the GOD EATER team. No opinions there. Those are facts. And they are legitimate. That's all I'm saying.

I think it's just poor wording that has me confused. Doesn't really matter. I have little doubt this will come out on PC in the west.

Yeah you have me confused as well haha. No worries here. Definitely. PS4/PC seems most likely and probably will be what's going to happen.

Oregano

Jesus Christ, do you have reading comprehension problems or something!?

Not once did I say that. And the one time I was mentioning "graphically extensive God Eater game" I didn't mean this is a God Eater game. Just that is THAT team's next game due to the success of those God Eater games on PS4/Vita. The game is being made by the GOD EATER team. No opinions there. Those are facts. And they are legitimate. That's all I'm saying.

You seemingly can't read your own posts

The Wii had some of those games so you're wrong, and an abhorrence towards the Wii U is no symptom of a poor relationship with Nintendo. Capcom even stayed away from it for the most part and Nintendo itself only begrudgingly suppported it out of obligation.

Nintendo systems did get Dragon Ball, Naruto, and Digimon games in the last 5 years.

No they didn't. I wasn't talking about handhelds. Even then 3DS only got Dragon Ball spinoffs. I was talking about consoles. It didn't get the big Dragon Ball games like Xenoverse, or the millions of Naruto fighting games and all the Digimon Cyber Sleuth games are all on PlayStation.

Top Bottom