• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai Has A "Surprise" For Tales of Fans In The West [Up: Japan Expo]

Shit just got real.

R1ARc

http://p.twipple.jp/R1ARc

What is this thing I"m looking at?

Paracelsus

Just did a google search and found this guy is Tipo Xillia's mascot, well I guess that seals the deal, at worse we can import the European version.

Edit: Beaten

Tales of Xillia EU was announced months ahead of the United States version and it hasn't been released yet.

FSLink

Banned
Awesome. :D

And Tipo isn't too annoying. :( Though I have no idea how well he'd translate into English (most likely not well at all).

RPGCrazied

If its anything like Graces F announcement, we won't be playing it for a year + anyways. No reason to announce it this early if its ways off.

Rpgmonkey

What Rpgmonkey means by this is "just another Tales mascot".

This is pretty much true.

But I don't think I've ever liked these small, high-pitched animal/monster things. Their voices and some of their dialogue alone is enough to kill any interest I might have in them. Maybe there's something good in Tipo, but I don't see it. :|

If its anything like Graces F announcement, we won't be playing it for a year + anyways. No reason to announce it this early if its ways off.

Probably March 2013.

Better than a whole year I guess?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I probably won't buy Xillia... I don't know... Schala want to lend me yours after you're done? lolz.

Yazuka

Damn you Namco and your teases! You'll probably break my heart again!
But I'm really hoping its a Tales of Xillia localization announcement.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
BY2K said:
Weeeellll, to be honest, I wouldn't TOO mad at that.
Wouldn't you rather have a game that has never been localized before as opposed to a game that has a competent localization already? It's best to dedicate resources towards something new rather than something old.

Because they announce several Tales games per annum (with this year being a rather strange exception with Xillia 2 and a GREE game being announced), it's just best that they take the mothership titles for the most part and localize them. Even better if they localize the ones which stress the narrative.

Rpgmonkey said:
This is pretty much true.

But I don't think I've ever liked these small, high-pitched animal/monster things. Their voices and some of their dialogue alone is enough to kill any interest I might have in them. Maybe there's something good in Tipo, but I don't see it. :|
He gets better as the game goes on, but he isn't as annoying as Mieu, for example. I liked him as comic relief a lot.

My understanding is that xillia wasn't very good. Is that correct? I'll probably still buy it even if that is the case.
I still think it's a good game. It just came up short, especially for an anniversary game in a year where we got some pretty nice anniversary games (ex: Sonic Generations, Skyward Sword).

Rpgmonkey

My understanding is that xillia wasn't very good. Is that correct? I'll probably still buy it even if that is the case.

My view of the game is:

If you want an overall package as good as or better than Vesperia, you're going to be disappointed. If you were really impressed by Graces' combat/design and mostly just want more of that, you're going to be disappointed.

Ignoring that, I don't think it's anything mind-blowing and wouldn't rank it too high among other entries in the series, but it's solid and fun.

I'll definitely get Xillia if the hint is to be believed, even if it isn't that great. I feel like I have a duty to support it since UK sales are generally dire and I feel I'm doing my bit to help further localisations. Like a lot of others though I'm taking it with a grain of salt until official confirmation. After their Vesperia "hint" I can't trust them.

I wouldn't be a surprised to see an update to their Twitter feed: "We just hinted Xillia to throw you guys off the scent! What do you mean localising Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike isn't what you was expecting!?"

Astra

Call me crazy, but I would be quite happy if we got ToV PS3 (in fact, it'd be my preference over Xillia). However, I'd also be happy if we get Xillia instead. We just got an enhanced port localized with Graces f, so bring on something new.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I cam in disappointed that there was no news yet again and was pleasantly surprised.
I hope for an actual announcement now.

kayos90

Looks like I'm losing my bet guys. *sigh*

My view of the game is:

If you want an overall package as good as or better than Vesperia, you're going to be disappointed. If you were really impressed by Graces' combat/design and mostly just want more of that, you're going to be disappointed.

Ignoring that, I don't think it's anything mind-blowing and wouldn't rank it too high among other entries in the series, but it's solid and fun.

Xillia is definitely not as featured filled as Vesperia but in terms of content compared to Graces, it's way more.

Xillia has an okay story and great character developments marred by some potential problems. IE.) Execution of the dual protagonists and Jude.

Shahed

Looks like I'm losing my bet guys. *sigh*

I'd feel sorry for you having to now put up with Jude extra close now, but I'm too happy at Xillia's probable localisation. On the the other hand I'll have to deal with him now...

How does he compare to Luke, Asbel and Edge?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wouldn't you rather have a game that has never been localized before as opposed to a game that has a competent localization already? It's best to dedicate resources towards something new rather than something old.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Xillia, but if we were to get Vesperia PS3 instead, I wouldn't be TOO mad.

Shahed

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Xillia, but if we were to get Vesperia PS3 instead, I wouldn't be TOO mad.

Same boat. I would've been happy with Vesperia, even if I'd already played the 360 version. Still Xillia is the ideal scenario though

My view of the game is:

Open question here: what games offer a better package than Vesperia? ToV is one of two Tales games I finished (and absolutely loved) alongside Symphonia. I've played phantasia, destiny, eternia, abyss and legendia. Every time, there were aspects of the games I liked but I dropped them after 15-20 hours because they didn't hold my interest for a reason or another. What's the consensus?
(I've been avoiding graces so far because everything I've read about it points to a similar fate for me)

Sagitario

The probability of it being a Xillia localization announcement is quite high.

I hope it gets [at least] a TotA-like treatment and the studio fixes (or adds) some things for the western release.

Would be awesome if it was a Xillia 1 AND 2 announcement.

Verelios

This had better not be just a stupid tease again.

Life and death Namco; I mean the life of a Tales fan (which arguably wouldn't be much...but still!)

kayos90

It will rise again.

lol, i don't think so.

I'd feel sorry for you having to now put up with Jude extra close now, but I'm too happy at Xillia's probable localisation. On the the other hand I'll have to deal with him now...

How does he compare to Luke, Alvin and Edge?

Lol, why is Alvin in that mix? Alvin is absolute fantastic. Jude is like a like a dumber and less sensible version of Edge.

Hopefully this means we'll be getting Xillia 2 down the line as well

Don't count your chickens just yet.

I hope it gets [at least] a TotA-like treatment and the studio fixes (or adds) some things for the western release.

Would be awesome if it was a Xillia 1 AND 2 announcement.

Highly doubt it.

Top Bottom