• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai Has A "Surprise" For Tales of Fans In The West [Up: Japan Expo]

Bladenic

So awesome! But the sudden shift in attention from North to Baker makes me want other great talent in the biz to get some more time in the spotlight as well, which is why I think that, in the event Xillia gets localized, Travis Willingham should play Alvin and Danielle Judovits should play Leia.

Danielle Judovits played Estelle right? That's the only role I'm familiar with so if she can do others voices which is probable, I haven't heard them. But Leia seems a bit more Genki Girl than Estelle's voice.

Oh and Troy Baker is my favorite VA ever alongside Nolan North. So if Xillia gets localized and he voices Alvin then sweet.

Seda

We could probably use a Tales community thread. Basically any Tales related thread get hijacked by a smallish group of people talking about various things Tales, like series Villains or VAs.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
We could probably use a Tales community thread. Basically any Tales related thread get hijacked by a smallish group of people talking about various things Tales, like series Villains or VAs.

Honestly, Tales threads tend to die out pretty fast so I don't even know if we actually need a community thread. Though I'd be on it all the time. LOL.

You'd think this would've been announced today since it's the last weekday of the month.

So unless they announce it tomorrow on a Saturday, then it will indeed be announced in July, so much for it being late in the month.

GameE

Since this is sorta a general Tales thread now I have a question. Wasnt the Abyss anime supposed to be translated into English or something? What happened with that?

You'd think this would've been announced today since it's the last weekday of the month.

So unless they announce it tomorrow on a Saturday, then it will indeed be announced in July, so much for it being late in the month.

No this is the announcement, they're announcing nothing
:p

Since this is sorta a general Tales thread now I have a question. Wasnt the Abyss anime supposed to be translated into English or something? What happened with that?

The statement was they were bringing it over, not that they were dubbing it IIRC. I have the English DVDs and they're sub only, they're also kind of ghetto cause they only release collectors editions for the first 2 DVDs and not the 2nd two.

It was released by Bandai and I believe all the episodes were released before Bandai's anime distribution branch in NA went belly up.

They only released a sub only edition though.

GameE

The statement was they were bringing it over, not that they were dubbing it IIRC. I have the English DVDs and they're sub only, they're also kind of ghetto cause they only release collectors editions for the first 2 DVDs and not the 2nd two.

It was released by Bandai and I believe all the episodes were released before Bandai's anime distribution branch in NA went belly up.

They only released a sub only edition though.

Thanks for the info

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sorry for the hijack but just wondering guys, how would your rank the non-Team Symphonia games? Basically Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia, Legendia, and Graces?

Aeana

Sorry for the hijack but just wondering guys, how would your rank the non-Team Symphonia games? Basically Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia, Legendia, and Graces?
Did you just forget Rebirth or is it not included? What about the other ones like Hearts and Innocence?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Did you just forget Rebirth or is it not included? What about the other ones like Hearts and Innocence?

Sorry, English and fan-translated ones only I forgot to mention. I forgot to include Innocence too although I know the PSV version is much superior and there's a very slight chance that it might get localized.

I plan on increasing my backlog though, plus the only Tales games I've actually completed were Abyss and Graces.

In term of fun ( battle system ):
Eternia > Destiny Director Cut > Graces > ( Phantasia full voice edition [JPN only] ) > Destiny PS1 > Phantasia GBA/PSX > Innoncence > phantasia SNES > Legendia
I know i listed some unavailable in english but once you know the story , you might enjoy the battle system without too much trouble

In term of story :
Phantasia > Destiny > Eternia > innoncence > Graces > Legendia
Phantasia has dahos and time travel , destiny has leon, eternia has so many things i can't list them , and then innoncence with by default since Graces story is laughable & legendia story is a total joke..

In term of Cast of characters
Destiny > Eternia >Phantasia > Legendia > Innocence> Graces
Stan/leon with ease

In term of music /setting /world
Eternia > phantasia > Legendia > Destiny > Graces > Innoncence
Eternia setting is unique , varied and filled with secrets /mini games .
Phantasia is classic but well devellopped
Legendia is high because of GO SHINA music
Innoncence setting would have been way better if it was set during the war ..

FINAL RANKING

>Destiny director cut>Eternia > phantasia > destiny > Graces > Legendia > innocence

Of your list I'm going off the ones I've played (English and Fan Translated) so no Destiny DC

Gameplay

Graces > Eternia > Innocence > Legendia > Phantasia PSX/GBA > Phantasia SNES > Destiny PSX

Yes Destiny PSX is a more refined version of Phantasia SNES, Phantasia SNES worked because only one character was a melee unit and you controlled that unit, the others were 2 offensive mages, a healer, and an archer with no skills who just shot long range. Destiny gives you 9/10 playable character, almost all of them you have to massively baby sit for them to do anything. They all try to act like spell casters when they have a ton of melee moves and very few magic spells. Worst offender of this is Garr who can't access his bow moves while holding his swordian and can't cast magic while wielding a bow, that's just awful design.

It's even worse on the melee only characters like Mary who will just stand their half the battle unless you switch the battle formation so that Stahn is behind the rest of the party and manually make the "get back in formation" in the enemies -.- The final battles mostly came down to me pausing and manually telling my 3 party members to cast spells or they'd just stand there half the time I went crazy. Also before anyone cries "boo why is PSX/GBA together" yes PSX>GBA but the GBA system is basically the PSX system only
much
slower, but it's still more replayable then the SNES version.

tl;dr SNES Phantasia is archaic, but at least it's not broken like PSX Destiny

Story

Phantasia > Destiny PSX > Legendia character arcs > Eternia > Innocence > Graces > Legendia main arc

Phantasia is above and beyond anything the others have, Destiny is good though it's only ahead of the Legendia character arcs because they aren't voiced which are great. After that it's all meh. Eternia gets a slight edge only because I know the Japanese version has less awful VA and skits that flesh things out, English dub + no skits is trash. Innocence and Graces have pretty eh plots, but Innocence wins for having a more unique premise/world. Legendia's main story sucks,
Shirley
is the worst, most awful thing ever put into a Tales game (that I've played).

Cast

Destiny PSX > Phantasia > Eternia > Graces > Legendia with character arcs > Innocence > Legendia main game

Legendia's character arcs are great and help a lot, but again no voice acting and having them be separate from the main campaign kills it for me. I shouldn't spend half the game hating the characters only to try (and mostly succeed) to make them all likeable in each of their character arcs.

Music
Irony of Fate from Destiny > Whatever

Seriously all of the Tales music is good/great, but Irony of Fate really is the series best song

Alex

My own tangent:

Gameplay:

Graces > rest

Story:

No.

Characters:

Destiny > rest

In my total series conclusion, Destiny and Graces are probably the best overall and Symphonia is probably what it feels like to get sucker punched in the back of the head.

My own tangent:

Gameplay:

Graces > rest

Story:

No.

Characters:

Destiny > rest

In my total series conclusion, Destiny and Graces are probably the best overall and Symphonia is probably what it feels like to get sucker punched in the back of the head.

Haha! I like this take.

Haven't played Legendia.

Graces > Eternia > Phantasia PS1 >> Destiny >> Phantasia SNES

Graces is so awesome. Its battle system is what really won me over. Also, I expected to dislike the lack of "world map" or "overworld," but I actually really like it, because it seems to give the world more substance. (I miss flying in the airships, though.)
What I don't like is that I felt it was too short. 9 towns which all felt small, one planet, only one minigame, a sucky arena, y'know, the little diversions that are fun were lacking.

Eternia was my favorite Tales game until Graces. For some reason, I really liked Meredy. (She was my avatar for a while.) I enjoyed the huge worlds. Two planets, a lot of minigames, a lot of weird, hidden secrets, it was awesome.
There's not much I dislike about the game besides the random battles (later Tales games, you touch enemies to initiate battle).

Phantasia PS1 is awesome. It has a moment where you think the game is over, but nope! "
Dhaos is attaching from the future!
Guess where we're going?
To the future
!" I was really hyped when that happened. There's also a point where you fight against Dhaos in a war, then take to the skies. That's also really cool.
I liked the chibi graphics in battle. I thought they were really cute, and as a result, I think of Phantasia and Destiny to be a little less serious and a little more cute, lighthearted, and fun, which I like.
What I don't like about it is that the world is fairly small. Plus, when you go to the past or to a place like
the future
, you can't return.

In short, Destiny PS1 is great, but some dungeons, specifically the ones in those pyramid things were boring. This game I didn't think had as good dungeons as the other Wolf Team Tales games. Phantasia SNES was also cool. Sometimes, I can't believe something like that was originally on the SNES. It was very ambitious.

LuuKyK

end of june and still nothing?

iirc, they said on twitter that they never promised they were going to reveal it by the end of june. They just said it was going to be "soooon". lol

I'm not sure what's going on at NamcoBandai UK's twitter, but sounds like the announcement isn't necessarily coming out this month.
rivqO.jpg

iirc, they said on twitter that they never promised they were going to reveal it by the end of june. They just said it was going to be "soooon". lol
They did actually mention the end of June a while back...

@AbyssalC haha what we are saying is that in late June we will announce what we are doing/showing at Japan Expo ;)
Obviously, it's been pushed back a bit. I'm guessing they'll just wait until the Japan Expo itself.

ROFL @ soon ... Last time they said soon it was after they annonced Graces F was localised and promised more details "soon" and we waited 9 months !! ( before more details )
ToV PS3 localized maybe?

I want to say give it up and pick it in japanese but since the price of this game is still so high i'll not say that ... wait i did wrote that already .... then ..

So you know what they are going to announce? :O
Does it deserve a 13 pages thread?

As long as we can talk "tales of" and keep the fan flames alive it will be worth it .

ROFL @ soon ... Last time they said soon it was after they annonced Graces F was localised and promised more details "soon" and we waited 9 months !! ( before more details )
Though to be fair, that was Namco Bandai USA. NBUK seems a lot more committed to actually communicating with the Tales fans.

Though to be fair, that was Namco Bandai USA. NBUK seems a lot more committed to actually communicating with the Tales fans.

True but as time goes on their annoncement seems like something minor ( like some Graces EUR stuff )
or at the very least innoncence VITA , all other options are dead in my opinion

There seems to be a pretty emphatic consensus that Graces has the best battle system in the series. So why did the developers go back to the TP system for Xilia?

sooooooon ?

Oh god this is no good!

Because Namco "soon" is 13 months in their book... Remember their "soon" for Graces F coming to NA? That was Feb 2011 And the game was released March 2012.

There seems to be a pretty emphatic consensus that Graces has the best battle system in the series. So why did the developers go back to the TP system for Xilia?

Different development teams with different people designing the battle system. One team seems adamant about keeping TP in some form while the other hasn't used it since Destiny 2 which came out 10 years ago, and even in that it was used differently than the other games that used it.

Different development teams with different people designing the battle system. One team seems adamant about keeping TP in some form while the other hasn't used it since Destiny 2 which came out 10 years ago, and even in that it was used differently than the other games that used it.

I thought team destiny and team symphonia had merged?

Jubern

Which is too bad IMO. Having a regular change of pace going Symphonia > Rebirth > Abyss > Destiny DC > Vesperia > Graces was really nice and helped keep the series a little fresh (and god does it need it)

Rpgmonkey

TP+AC is just an Xillia thing.

Chanes are high the next game will go back to TP, CC, or some other thing, and use whatever combat mechanics that accompany those.

Xillia is TP + CC

Also not everyone likes CC battle systems..Some will tell you that Graces has the best battle system Yet i'm not one of those..

Xillia also introduced a lot of new things into the series ..

Besides no tales of game is the same as another , they look similar at first but there is always lot of stuff affecting the battle system..there is no point and no fun for the tales of team to do the same thing twice

Seda

I slightly prefer TP to CC. Honestly I don't mind either. Perhaps I am just not smart enough to manage CC well.

Top Bottom