• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai Targets Two Million For Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Thanks guys.

I see BR is ranking in the best income. How much money does Namco see after they sell a board from this (when play income is not coming from play from a Namco owned arcade)?

Namco doesn't make anymore money after a board they sell does well for the arcade operator, correct?

I know they had that DRM like thing for the TTT2 boards? That wasn't a leasing type thing, right?

Doomshine

DRO's online community is still strong, a testament to the game. The game is FIVE years old at this point. I can get in and out of games in DR in a flash compared to T6 which is a total chore to play and ugly to look at. Tekken 5 DR is a more refined game and looks better than Tekken 6. Tekken 5DR has a cleaner look that works better for me. Less is more.

What does all of this have to do with anything I said? DRO netcode is shit, I don't care what you think about the rest of the game.

AAK

DRO's online community is still strong, a testament to the game. The game is FIVE years old at this point. I can get in and out of games in DR in a flash compared to T6 which is a total chore to play and ugly to look at. Tekken 5 DR is a more refined game and looks better than Tekken 6. Tekken 5DR has a cleaner look that works better for me. Less is more.

Tekken 6 still has plenty of lobbies online these days as well.

And how is MORE refined than T6? Tekken 6 is arguably more balanced than T5DR. And your constant complaints about how "ugly" it is don't even make any sense.

Namco doesn't make anymore money after a board they sell does well for the arcade operator, correct?

I know they had that DRM like thing for the TTT2 boards? That wasn't a leasing type thing, right?

For T6, the lease was only in japan for Tekken.net, but for TTT2 it's worldwide.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/04/17/tekken-director-if-tekken-tag-tournament-2-has-dlc-fighters-they-will-be-free/

As far as DLC, we don’t have concrete plans yet, but the way I’m thinking though is that the characters and such are like pieces that are necessary for a chess game," Harada continued. "So you wouldn’t want to sell them, because some people would have them and some wouldn’t. If we have DLC characters or stages, they would be free. We might use them for pre-order bonuses though, because the retailers really like it. That doesn’t mean they’d be exclusive forever though. That just means you’d get it earlier, for a certain period. So the players, they get to see a variety of different characters from the different pre-orders and such. The retailers get their pre-orders so they’re happy and if the retailers are happy, we’re happy. So that makes everyone happy."

HOW PREORDER DLC BULLSHIT SHOULD BE

Also a fan of the 6 month later epilogue ala
Prince of Persia 08,
Castlevania LOS,
Harley Quinn Arkham City

Skilletor

Again judging the game for its single player content.

SC5 thread taught me that there are lots of people around these parts that care about their single player content. There's a reason so many people think MK9 is so good.

I don't agree, but it is what it is.

Tekken 6 still has plenty of lobbies online these days as well.

And how is MORE refined than T6? Tekken 6 is arguably more balanced than T5DR. And your constant complaints about how "ugly" it is don't even make any sense.

T6 is subnative HD and a blurry mess. T5 is 1080p and very clean. It makes sense to me.

I think T6 on consoles is ugly.

I think people caring about SP in a fighting game is fine (everybody likes different things), but it shouldn't be the blanket statement of the game.

Like BF3. Some people say the campaign sucks, but MP and the gunplay is good (the core of the game).

I wish for fighting games, it would be like, the Tekken 6 SP content sucks. Core gameplay is good, and MP worked (after patches, haha).

joe2187

Banned
I.e. this game required more skill to play now that health bars were larger and you had to actually work for your victory.

I dont know where you got this assumption from, I know judging a fighting game on it's single player content is asinine, seemed like they hid the actual arcade mode in the offline modes menu just to trick people into playing that awful scenario mode. The first thing I do in a fighter is play the story/arcade mode for my favorite characters, they didnt let me do that.

I like some of the system mechanics in the game, but I prefer Tekken 5 more because it seemed more fun and balanced in my opinion, T6 had none of that to drag me in.

Skilletor

I dont know where you got this assumption from, I know judging a fighting game on it's single player content is asinine, seemed like they hid the actual arcade mode in the offline modes menu just to trick people into playing that awful scenario mode. The first thing I do in a fighter is play the story/arcade mode for my favorite characters, they didnt let me do that.

I like some of the system mechanics in the game, but I prefer Tekken 5 more because it seemed more fun and balanced in my opinion, T6 had none of that to drag me in.

Typically, if a person complains about another "exploiting" something, they just don't want to find a way to beat it, since they think it's "unfair." This is not the mentality of a competitive player, and as such, when a competitive player hears such talk, dismisses the opinion entirely.

What does all of this have to do with anything I said? DRO netcode is shit, I don't care what you think about the rest of the game.

People don't play bad netcode for FIVE years. I had to stop playing that abortion that is Tekken 6. The load times are bad. The netcode is bad. The game is bad. Tekken 6 sold the worst out of all console Tekkens. The Tekken community knows this. It is the weak point in our franchise history. Why do you deny this?

AAK

SC5 thread taught me that there are lots of people around these parts that care about their single player content. There's a reason so many people think MK9 is so good.

I don't agree, but it is what it is.

If that was the case SFIV and MvC3 would have gotten a lot more shit for their games which have even worse single player content than any of Namco's games.

Hellix

Maybe because 5DR was 1080p.

Skilletor

People don't play bad netcode for FIVE years. I had to stop playing that abortion that is Tekken 6. The load times are bad. The netcode is bad. The game is bad. Tekken 6 sold the worst out of all console Tekkens. The Tekken community knows this. It is the weak point in our franchise history. Why do you deny this?

Probably because it isn't true.

If that was the case SFIV and MvC3 would have gotten a lot more shit for their games which have even worse single player content than any of Namco's games.

I remember hearing complaining, especially for UMvC3. It could be that those games haven't had much single player content (traditionally), while Tekken, SC, MK typically have.

AAK

The Tekken community knows this. It is the weak point in our franchise history. Why do you deny this?

Are you going to just pinpoint a couple of people and paste them as the entire community? Tekken 6 got over 100 entrants at Final Round 2012 alone.

Men lie, women lie, but numbers don't lie.

Did you not see the Arcade sales of Tekken 6 alone? They broke the records of all the previous Tekken games.

lol wtf.

Lots of people still play Tekken 6. It is still a popular game in the States and in Japan.

Raonak

Banned
Tekken may not have name recognition in the US, but it sells good elsewhere.
It'll definetly reach that sales target. Sequel to TTT1 after all.

theres a whole generation of gamers who grew up on tekken.

I just hope they optimised load times.
AND

Vita Version!!!! I put so many hours into the PSP versions of T5 and T6- far more than the console versions (T6 especially, since psp ver had minimal load times)

What numbers?

That T6 sold 3.5 million copies? Or made tons of money in arcades? Or that it's still being played competitively at numerous tourneys?

Tekken 6 isn't a bad game. I spoke too harshly. Tekken 6 for consoles is weak for a Tekken console game. I enjoyed all the other versions more than Tekken 6, it's the weakest in the series to me.

Vita edition O.O?

Do you know something we don't?

Source.

Also please don't defend the old netcode. I've been part of the community for a very long time and the consensus is that the netcode was garbage. Don't know how it was post patch but tried it maybe 5 games right after launch and then swore off it forever. Not because it wasn't acceptable for the everyday community but because our standards were so high. Every other fighting game it's accepted that you have to play differently when online compared to offline. That is unacceptable for Tekken. I drop my advanced BnB and I RAGE!

Anyways with the new community manager who seems to be listening to the community (fleshed out practice mode) I'm fairly optimistic about TTT2. I can guarantee you though that Heihachi will be top tier and if legally possible Filthy Rich will make it really far at Evo next year.

AAK

It's fake, it's just this artwork stretched:

ttt2-poster.jpg

NeonZ

I think there was a backlash. Just look at the drastically lower UMvC3 sales. People wouldn't have avoided the sequel if they had truly enjoyed the original.

impact

Banned
I think there was a backlash. Just look at the drastically lower UMvC3 sales. People wouldn't have avoided they sequel if they had truly enjoyed the original.

That definitely had more to do with people being disappointed with an awful game. Everyone was expecting a sequel to MvC2 and they got some brainless X factor derpfest.

Hey for all the people hating on T6:

Go play the PSP version then. The PSP version pretty much removes all my complaints about console T6 and if the graphics bother you as well,T6 PSP is like a better looking in between of DRO & 6. The load times are barely there (install option) and saving is quick.

I have played the PSP version way more than my home copies due to taking public transit everywhere.

alstein

I think it's possible if they do a good job with the game. They really didn't do a good job on Tekken 6 console.

I don't think the game will do as well as SF4/MK9 though in terms of sales, but will end up a close #3. Tekken is mad popular, and this is the last nostalgia game for American 90s arcade fans.

I'm on the fence with this game, it will depend on how VF does locally, and maybe other factors.

DrDogg

Source.

Also please don't defend the old netcode. I've been part of the community for a very long time and the consensus is that the netcode was garbage. Don't know how it was post patch but tried it maybe 5 games right after launch and then swore off it forever.

Tekken 6 netcode was significantly better after the patch. Still unplayable from a competitive perspective, but then again so was DR and just about every other 3D fighter before Tekken 6 (aside from maybe VF5).

Now that TTT2 is using the SC5 netcode, this shouldn't be as much of an issue. It still won't be acceptable from a competitive standpoint, but it will be much, much better than Tekken 6 or DR.

Thanks guys.

I see BR is ranking in the best income. How much money does Namco see after they sell a board from this (when play income is not coming from play from a Namco owned arcade)?

Even if it's not at a Namco arcade, the arcade operators still have to buy player cards, and with TTT2 you had to buy the cards just to make the machine run.

Here goes that "they always say" argument again.

Here's a protip for you. I made my claim, and then backed it up with evidence.

Now is the time for you to present your evidence to support YOUR claim.
Protip: The strength of your unsupported belief does not in and of itself constitute "evidence". Since you've utterly failed to actually supply any further context to Harada's comment as to what "sold" means, I'm going to have to defer to the industry standard (ie: sold in or shipped).

According to Namco Bandai's fiscal reports:
FY2009-2010: 1.84m for Japan+Europe ; 1.001m on the PSP (worldwide).
FY2010-2011: 1.15m for US ; 470k on the PSP (worldwide)

So I guess the harada numbers didn't include the PSP but the 2010-2011 Japan/Europe sales.
Thanks for doing the dirty work. I'd say this means T6 definitely outshipped vanilla SF4.

And lol, how the hell did Scamco ship 1.5 PSP versions!!? That mean T6 PSP outshipped Birth by Sleep and Peace Walker!

DR2K

Banned
Would you be willing to bet your account on it?

No, it could easily be the 4th-5th week as well. But don't expect MSRP to hold for very long if their shipment numbers are this bloated especially in this market. Last 4 games with name Tekken in them bombed, why wouldn't the 5th?

Sayah

Oh boy, here we go again. Namco's expectations are too high, again.

Two million for Tekken game these days? I'd be shocked if it does one million.

When was the last time a Tekken game sold decently? Tekken 3?
That is VERY optimistic.
LLLMMMMMAAAAOOOO

t's pretty interesting how so many people like to discredit Tekken. They claim the sales figures are distorted, and once they're proven wrong they challenge the integrity of the game. When I ask them for an argument they stay quiet.
You can't expect someone who played the game for 30 minutes to provide any substantial arguing, lol. If the same people took the time to learn the game system, they would know it's one of the most deepest, one of the most balanced and basically one of the best fighters ever created.
Errr.....right here.
I bought Tekken 6 at $9, played it for 30 mins, saw it for what it was, then just returned it to a different store and got 10$ for it.

I'm a business man.

Sayah

No, it could easily be the 4th-5th week as well. But don't expect MSRP to hold for very long if their shipment numbers are this bloated especially in this market. Last 4 games with name Tekken in them bombed, why wouldn't the 5th?

Last 4 games with Tekken in the name:
SFXTK: Not made by Namco.
Tekken 3DS: Game was outsourced to another developer + no established Nintendo fanbase.
Tekken Hybrid: A demo, Tag HD and a movie. No one expected it to sell in the millions.
Tekken 6 BR: 3.5 million copies is hardly "bombed."

Tekken Tag 2 will easily go over 2 million.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think there was a backlash. Just look at the drastically lower UMvC3 sales. People wouldn't have avoided the sequel if they had truly enjoyed the original.
Or maybe people were satisfied with the original and didn't feel the need to pony up another $40 for a standalone expansion so soon after release.

Tekken Tag Tournament was extremely popular wasn't it? I can't see a long awaited sequel doing poorly at all, especially if there are new characters being added.

Sayah

Or maybe people were satisfied with the original and didn't feel the need to pony up another $40 for a standalone expansion so soon after release.

I fall under this category. Already payed $60 launch day for the original. No way Capcom is getting $40 more.

Jason2slow

Neo Member
Pretty sure all the hate for tekken is coming from countries where arcades are dying, which is understandable. i believe the reason tekken doesn't sell as well on consoles as other fighters is because in areas where it is popular, arcades are the primary method of playing it.

Pretty sure all the hate for tekken is coming from countries where arcades are dying, which is understandable. i believe the reason tekken doesn't sell as well on consoles as other fighters is because in areas where it is popular, arcades are the primary method of playing it.

Read the thread, Tekken 6 "sold" more than Vanilla SF4.

Day one, though, can't wait to play some Anna/Lili.

DSix

Banned
Yep, 2 copies for me day one.

Yeah it seems that Tekken is the soccer (Fútbol) of the fighting game community.

Yeah, really strange how many people (mostly Americans?) post so hard toward discrediting such a great fighting series. I suspect capcpom agents.

Tekken always sold well, even when the genre "was dead" according to capcom suckers. And I fully expect TTT2 to do more than 2 millions.

DR2K

Banned
Last 4 games with Tekken in the name:
SFXTK: Not made by Namco.
Tekken 3DS: Game was outsourced to another developer + no established Nintendo fanbase.
Tekken Hybrid: A demo, Tag HD and a movie. No one expected it to sell in the millions.
Tekken 6 BR: 3.5 million copies is hardly "bombed."

Tekken Tag 2 will easily go over 2 million.

Doesn't matter who makes it it just shows how weak the brand name is. Capcom didn't make REORC, but the name itself sold millions.

Almost any legitimate data shows that Tekken 6 did not sell even a 3rd of that to consumers. Namco definitely knows how to stuff the channels.

I'll be buying TTT2, and this overshipment guarantees a massive price drop shortly like Tekken 6 did.

AAK

Once again account bet, 5th week if TTT2 will go $30 or lower. I'll even give you 7th week. Bet your account on it or stop trolling.

DR2K

Banned
Once again account bet, 5th week if TTT2 will go $30 or lower. I'll even give you 7th week. Bet your account on it or stop trolling.

I'm not trolling. I'm just saying that a price collapse will repeat itself. I'll be playing the game not as $60 MSRP, but if history repeats itself the wait won't be very long. I'll have 2 other fighting bombas to keep me warm(DOA5 and VF5), lol.

So thats why I thought the game bombed.

That is what they always say.
Because that is what they, as the company, has sold.

Namco sells stuff to retailers, not directly to consumers.
If you look up a few posts for Peff's NPD/Media Create/European stuff, you'll see that it isn't anywhere near the amount Namco sells to retailers.

Capcom has sold 1.4 million copies of Street Fighter X Tekken, but the number of people that actually own it is nowhere near that amount.

Does it really matter anymore? Even if Tekken sold that many copies it was due to $5 bargain bin sales.

Top Bottom