• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai trademarks Tales of Zestoria, Tales of Creales, and Tales of Catastora

demidar

These names are so nonsensical, I wish they'd convene with a native English speaker first before coming up with a name.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Team Destiny does not exist anymore.

No more superior battles then? Or is it a gamble if the next game will have Symphonia or Destiny combat systems? :(

No more superior battles then? Or is it a gamble if the next game will have Symphonia or Destiny combat systems? :(

The team itself is gone, but the person who designed their battle systems is still there I believe. Hopefully this is one he was working on.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What does Xillia and Vesperia even mean in English?

Road

I liked the titles more when they made sense.

Xillia was already silly and it seems this new one will try to top it.

demidar

I didn't realize fantasy words needed to be run by English speakers first.

Most previous Tales of games had a recognizable base word. Graces, Hearts, Destiny, Symphonia, Innocence, Phantasia, etc. Recently they've been using proper nouns as titles, Xillia and Vesperia for example.

I dunno, seems like a trend is appearing.

Videoneon

Vesper is a word with a ton of meanings IIRC, one of which is an evening star. Xillia is...I can't even BS something plausible. Personally, I want Tales of Bruschetta.

Anyway, looks like the Tales cycle hath commenced. My interest now is: PS3 or PS4? I expect PS3 but await confirmation

SaintZ

"Creales" makes me think of "Cereales" (Cereals)
ferjctouze.gif

Zestoria is the only one that sounds passable.

zeopower6

In the context of the game, Vesperia is "the brightest star in the sky".

And Xillia is apparently an offshoot of Xillion which is a play on Zillion which means "countless" and the letter "X" being used to represent "the unknown"... so countless unknown things? I dunno where Baba gets this, tbh.

If they do Catastoria instead of Catastora, I can see that sounding good. :x

Rpgmonkey

They always come in threes!

Tales of the Doom Sign was one of Tempest's, Tales of Harmonia was one of Abyss's, I think Tales of Nexus was one of Vesperia's, etc.

question is when we will hear about this

Famitsu? TGS? Jump Festa?

Usually they announce the game 3-4 months after the trademark is made. So they might announce it sometime around Symphonia's release in Japan in October.

Xillia is about zillion or something like that, combined the X (IIRC it has implications of "cross" or the unknown). It was dumb.

Vesperia is the name of a star in the game world and also references the word/name Vesper.

Soriku

On Xillia's name...

According to producer Baba, the name Xillia arranged in English expresses the word “Xillion” which in turn means “countless.” For our case, “Xillion” is a play on words of “Zillion”. The letter X signifies the meaning of the unknown, or “crossing.” One’s life can accumulate with countless things, good or bad.

Vesper is a word with a ton of meanings IIRC, one of which is an evening star. Xillia is...I can't even BS something plausible. Personally, I want Tales of Bruschetta.

Anyway, looks like the Tales cycle hath commenced. My interest now is: PS3 or PS4? I expect PS3 but await confirmation

PS4 Tales should happen when Final Fantasy XV releases. Maybe they will release HD version for PS4 but I doubt it.

Abyss refers to the Qliphoth.
Ok, that I can understand.

Graces...IDK. The battle system sure is graceful though...
Pfft, you kidding? I'd hardly call a fast, action-filled, combo-heavy battle system to be graceful in any way. I'd say it's more like the grace of the flowers or something like that in the game.

Symphonia - The mana flow of the planets is like the rising and falling of a symphony.

That's a pretty weird thing to title your game on. I mean, it's part of the world-building aspect yeah, but I'm pretty sure it's not something essentially important to the main story.

Cess007

None of those sounds really pausible (or coherent) but hey, new Tales is always a good thing. No matter the name.

But come on Namco; try a little more. What about: Tales of Fate, Tales of Alchemy or stuff like that.

Coxy

Tales of la passione commuove la storia
these are all pretty bad tbh but excited for the game reveal, maybe they'll do that thing of hiding the trailer on the HD collection

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Now every time I look at the thread title, I keep thinking "Castration" as opposed to the word that's supposed to resemble "catastrophe".

Thanks a lot, you guys.

Top Bottom