• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai unveil The Munchables for Wii. Not based on some school lunch brand.

3327608598_1703131932_o.jpg

http://wii.ign.com/articles/958/958716p1.html

Namco Bandai Dishes up The Munchables
Gut busting fun chomps its way onto Nintendo Wii.

SANTA CLARA, Calif., (March 3, 2009) - Leading video games publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc., today announced The Munchables an entertaining romp into a colorful and delicious action adventure for Wii. Exploring rich and vibrant environments, players will devour delectable enemies as they guide their quirky heroes in this zany alien munching mash-up filled with fun and addictive gameplay. The Munchables will chomp its way to stores this May.

"NAMCO BANDAI Games is thrilled to provide such a fun and exciting addition to the vast library of quality Wii titles," said Todd Thorson, director of marketing and public relations for NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. "With colorful characters and eye-popping worlds, The Munchables will delight players of all ages."

The home planet of the hungry Munchables is at stake when it is invaded by the evil Don Onion and his vicious band of space pirates. As their lively planet has been usurped, the embattled Munchables have only one hope; to devour their food enemies to grow large enough to defeat Don Onion and inevitably return peace to their captive land.

In The Munchables, players are called upon to eat and defeat over 150 insidious enemies who have taken over the planet including Eggplanter, Space Shroom and Rice Baller. With each fallen foe, the daring omnivorous Munchables grow in size and power in their brave struggle. In this tantalizingly addictive game, players can also enjoy Mirror Mode, where stages are in reverse order and they must beat the clock in order to save the world. Eating your way to take on Don Onion and his delicious minions, The Munchables will leave you hungry for more!

For more information on The Munchables, please visit: http://www.namcobandaigames.com/

About NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc.
NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc., is a leading interactive entertainment software publisher and developer based in Santa Clara, CA. The company is a part of the NAMCO BANDAI group of companies known for creating and publishing many of the industry's top video game franchises including the PAC-MAN®, SOULCALIBUR, Naruto and Tekken brands. For more information about NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc., and our products log onto www.namcobandaigames.com.

The Munchables (C) 2009 NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Wii, Wii Remote, Nunchuk, Mii, Wii Balance Board and the Wii logo are trademarks of Nintendo. (C) 2006 Nintendo.

Press Release (C) 2009 NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc.

Namco Bandai Games America page:

http://www.namcobandaigames.com/games/themunchables/

header.jpg

Features:

• Addictive Gameplay - Once you start eating, you won’t want to stop. Your character grows bigger and bigger the more you eat and so do your enemies.

• Quirky Characters - Eat crazy characters like Eggplanter, Space Shroom, and Rice Baller. Over 150 different enemies will try to stop you from saving the planet. 8 Enemy Bosses.

• 2 Modes of Play - You can play in regular mode and in time-attack mode

• Accessorize your character - Over a dozen different customizations can be made for your main character

• 2 Player Action - Join a friend to help you defeat Don Onion and the Space Pirates.

• Extras - 27 different songs included, played by the Munchables band. And 5 different movies that show you the world of the Munchables.

Story:

The Munchables are hungry creatures, taken over by Don Onion and his evil space pirates. The only hope for the planet’s survival is to eat the most enemies and grow large enough to defeat Don Onion and the 8 Enemy Bosses. The more you eat, the bigger you get, and you’re going to have to be big to beat Don Onion and his space pirates. You can power-up yourself to eat the array of vegetables, fruits, and even porcupines that are in your way! The planet depends on the Munchables for survival. No pressure.

Trailer:

http://www.wiiz.fr/article.php?a=22626

Screens (which come in HD size as well oddly):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25792657@N00/sets/72157615726709485/

3353121204_55d4603628_o.jpg
3353121294_5fc7528226_o.jpg

3353121392_f3a8eeb891_o.jpg
3352297087_60179b4f17_o.jpg

3352297155_1ffb3ea1a6_o.jpg
3353121688_62c4cb796c_o.jpg

3353121808_248b28c6a5_o.jpg
3353121952_7c788e49f8_o.jpg

3352297521_00341c18c5_o.jpg
3352297587_ecef7a9e59_o.jpg

3353122210_192d4671f8_o.jpg
3352297777_6a055a3cac_o.jpg

Looks surprisingly good! I'm interested! :D

I've seen the name on retail sites, and always assumed it was based on some school lunch thing like The Lunchables or even the Australia-created Munchables:

http://www.munchables.com.au/

bdouble

wtf is going on in those screens. Seriously GAF might go retarded after Excite bots and this.

Game looks very interesting. Its like attack of the Rabites. Is this another one of IGN's "dark games"?

Azure J

I get a HUGE Viva Pinata vibe from those screens. Someone was studying Rare's 360 efforts in visual design it seems.

AzureJericho said:
I get a HUGE Viva Pinata vibe from those screens. Someone was studying Rare's 360 efforts in visual design it seems.

Actually I'm getting a Chao Garden mixed with Pac-Man vibe.

the-munchables-20090303110006707_640w.jpg

That reminds me of the Hero garden from Sonic Adventure 2.

billy.sea

Banned
The name and the concept is weird enough that I am a little interested. Will it be the next Katamari? (Noby doesn't count)

CTLance

Cripes, the pink burned my retinas, but... actually... after regaining my vision, this looks interesting. Will keep an eye on it.

WTF is happening in those screens. It almost looks like bubble bobble meets banjo kazooie

BGBW said:
the-munchables-20090303110041956_640w.jpg

This looks bodaciously rad and gnarly that it's almost outrageous.

And I totally agree. Something about that screen makes me laugh out loud.:lol

farnham

Banned
looks like a game in the vein of dewys adventure etc.

the Level thing makes it look very wacky though

the discription gives me a katamari + kirby vibe

farnham

Banned
beje said:
My reaction to this game:

2q21cog.jpg

Can somebody really tell what the fuck is going on on those screens?
you eat stuff and get bigger (kirby)

as you get bigger you can eat bigger enemies with higher levels (katamari)

GDGF

Soothsayer
This is like some old school experemental Playstation one shit, and I dig the hell out of that.

(speaking of which, someone should make a Jumping Flash clone for the Wii)

farnham

Banned
GDGF said:
This is like some old school experemental Playstation one shit, and I dig the hell out of that.

(speaking of which, someone should make a Jumping Flash clone for the Wii)
i recently played one

its called super mario galaxy or something like that

Sadist

So whats with all the Wii announcements?
Not complaining here

It looks cute though. A bit to cute.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sadist said:
So whats with all the Wii announcements?
Not complaining here
The embargo for the conference from the Excitebots thread has lifted.

kenji

Wii, Wii Remote, Nunchuk, Mii, Wii Balance Board and the Wii logo are trademarks of Nintendo. (C) 2006 Nintendo.
does this means the game will require the balance board too?
i hope not, i don't have it and i don't like it, but i want this game :O

farnham

Banned
kenji said:
does this means the game will require the balance board too?
i hope not, i don't have it and i don't like it, but i want this game :O
i think no game outside of wii fit requires the balance board

...so do developers finally understand that because they were so LTTP with the Wii it's best for them to make quality games that take short a mount of time to produce (I.E. Music Games, Platformers, Fighters, Sports, etc.)?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looks to have promise.

Mii and Balance board support confirmed? Not mentioned anywhere else in the press release, unless its just there standard disclaimer.

Rlan

I'm strangely reminded by Billy Hatcher in some of those screens.

The orange / white enemies almost look like the NeoGAF logo too.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
seems odd that namco would publish a game about floating heads eating things and not tie it into pac-man somehow -- i'm not complaining, but it seems odd in an industry where they'll take any old excuse to leverage brands

TreIII

Rlan said:
The orange / white enemies almost look like the NeoGAF logo too.

:lol

Hah! Y'know what, you do have a point!

Any way, this is quirky enough to get my interest. It's my on radar, now.

I wonder if this is done in-house or not. Maybe it's a game from a small external studio that as picked up by NB, like Eko's SPRay was picked up by Tecmo.

Hope it supports 480p, 16:9, Dolby Pro Logic II and runs in 60 frames. But who doesn't want those in a game these days?

Top Bottom