• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco founder Masaya Nakamura dies at 91

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
images

Putty

RIP. 91 is a cracking innings! What a legacy he leaves behind...I've always had a soft spot for Namco, always will.

bjork

This is the dude that publicly called out Nintendo on trying to create a monopoly back in the NES era, and he didn't get iced by Yamauchi's hit squad. I'd say he had balls. Also Namco is great. RIP.

Phloxy

Just wrote a news story for my website about Namco. Such a loss, they have put out so much great games over years. Legends will fall but the legacy they leave behind will live forever.

Tizoc

This is the dude that publicly called out Nintendo on trying to create a monopoly back in the NES era, and he didn't get iced by Yamauchi's hit squad. I'd say he had balls. Also Namco is great. RIP.
I was gonna ask about this actually but im worried discussing it further wouldn't be a good idea atm

Rip.

Toad.T

Banned
A silent legend.

Hope he finds peace in the next life, and hope that his family/friends finds strength in this life.

Phediuk

RIP.

The old generation has started to die off in the last few years. Ralph Baer, Hiroshi Yamauchi, and now Nakamura.

Mooreberg

This is like hearing the founder of one of your favorite film studios has passed away. So many classic games, and they were right there with AM2 during the polygonal arcade game revolution. And right now, they might be single handedly keeping 3D fighters on the market. Truly a legendary figure on the history of gaming. Rest In Peace.

bjork

I was gonna ask about this actually but im worried discussing it further wouldn't be a good idea atm

Rip.

I don't think there's too much to tell from what info is out there: Namco got a special deal when they first signed on to make Famicom games, but after the 5-year arrangement ran out and Nintendo was huge and Pac-Man wasn't a "get" any more, Namco was given the same deal that every other third party had. So Nakamura said he'd support the competition, and this is why you had so many Namco game in the early days of the Mega Drive.

Top Bottom