• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name the next Xbox

Grinchy

Banned
Series X could be the shitty version. Maybe Series Y gets revealed later or something. I just don't quite understand their insistence in naming their new system in a way that makes you think it's the old one.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Name so shit nobody could imagine it. And by shit I don’t mean semantics or phonetics, but just the fact that the name doesn’t make any sense and gets mixed up with Xbox One X

Roni

Gold Member
Series X could be the shitty version. Maybe Series Y gets revealed later or something. I just don't quite understand their insistence in naming their new system in a way that makes you think it's the old one.

Think about it, streaming, game pass, the name thing. They're betting that getting people to just call it Xbox will help with public acceptance.

Ironically, they actually don't want you to think "which Xbox?", which is what I guess ends up happening, but just to think: "oh, Xbox!"

It must be working, since they've had chances to change course but haven't.

Last edited:

Shmunter

So what’s the agreed acronym for this thing? Is it really XSeX, does anything else make more sense? Seems ridiculous.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Nobody would have guessed this surely...….XBOX is named as series of XBOXES...…….XBOX series X (scarlett), Series S (lockhart), Series H (handheld, maybe)………..Just my speculation here......One of is sure, there will be more than one XBOX in this series' lineup...

X GOD FIST X

Neo Member
Bread boX.
Holds an entire loaf of white or wheat inside and dispense slices with butter from slot.
Rasperberry Pi in the base of unit so you have the option for jam too.

Redlight

Xbox Series X seems like a place holder name still for the multiple models they'll be putting out. Replace the word "series" with something like Xbox Cloud X, Xbox Extreme X, or whatever.
This really seems like the most logical outcome, 'Series X' as a catch-all for a family of devices.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Why is there a "X" obsession in tech stuff? Because they think that it resonates like "sex"? GTX, RTX, XboX X etc. Why?

Btw, i like to announce the "2019 best X use in a tech series" winner: XFX RX 5700 XT. Congrats guys, hope you ditch that T in the end.

Banned
Why is there a "X" obsession in tech stuff? Because they think that it resonates like "sex"? GTX, RTX, XboX X etc. Why?

Btw, i like to announce the "2019 best X use in a tech series" winner: XFX RX 5700 XT. Congrats guys, hope you ditch that T in the end.

because X is just a very powerful sounding letter. it goes back way far even, like with Videogame names... MegaMan X is the superior enhanced version of MegaMan, or Nvidia with their GT cards, which are mid range, and their GTX cards which are the high end ones.
or consoles, the TurboGrafX, PSX as a shorthand for the PS1.

and it has nothing to do with the association with sex, it's most likely the association with the word Extreme, which is often being stylised as Xtreme... like the cancelled Sonic Xtreme.

so X = Extreme and Extreme = Better/more powerful.

meanwhile S is often associated with something that is enhanced, like a softer less dramatic X. S = Super and is often used in ranking systems as above A rank. F > D > C > B > A > S

but alternatively it can mean slim or small.

so this is why you always see S or X in tech names... iPhone 6s, or Oculus Rift S... and for slim line versions Xbox 360S and Xbox One S

Despite other posters, there is actually a historical reason for this.

Some old computer chips (not PC) used X in XTREME, and then when PC started taking off graphically they also started to use "Xtreme" for chips or for marketing, and eventually that "Xtreme" became X and now X is basically an overused letter that's supposed to make something sound cool and Xtreme.

Before that happened it was about letters and numbers, where you wanted a cool sounding number and with a letter in front that would flow well, and in some cases, put it in specific areas of store shelves.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
because X is just a very powerful sounding letter. it goes back way far even, like with Videogame names... MegaMan X is the superior enhanced version of MegaMan, or Nvidia with their GT cards, which are mid range, and their GTX cards which are the high end ones.
or consoles, the TurboGrafX, PSX as a shorthand for the PS1.

and it has nothing to do with the association with sex, it's most likely the association with the word Extreme, which is often being stylised as Xtreme... like the cancelled Sonic Xtreme.

so X = Extreme and Extreme = Better/more powerful.

meanwhile S is often associated with something that is enhanced, like a softer less dramatic X. S = Super and is often used in ranking systems as above A rank. F > D > C > B > A > S

but alternatively it can mean slim or small.

so this is why you always see S or X in tech names... iPhone 6s, or Oculus Rift S... and for slim line versions Xbox 360S and Xbox One S
Despite other posters, there is actually a historical reason for this.

Some old computer chips (not PC) used X in XTREME, and then when PC started taking off graphically they also started to use "Xtreme" for chips or for marketing, and eventually that "Xtreme" became X and now X is basically an overused letter that's supposed to make something sound cool and Xtreme.

Before that happened it was about letters and numbers, where you wanted a cool sounding number and with a letter in front that would flow well, and in some cases, put it in specific areas of store shelves.

Wow! I didn't expect a historical answer for that. It's cool:messenger_clapping: I found something more in this address if someone else interested:

https://mashedradish.com/2017/09/13/a-brief-history-of-x/

The name still doesn't add up. Just days prior to announcing Series X, Phil Spencer or someone at Microsoft said the name would incorporate it's purpose. There is literally no reference or purpose in the name Series X. I still think that the different Xbox consoles (Scarlett/Lockhart/Anaconda/whatever) will have specific names that aren't just Series X, especially now, assuming Microsoft is reading all of the reactions to the announcent. They have until E3 2020 before needing to reveal anything.

scalman

they should go for simple one, they -1 from sony , so xbox4 or X4 , would look so cool name in short. they have still some time to change it though. MS cmon quit that shit
i see lots problems with this name for google search engine . i want to search anything about PS5 , just type PS5 , i want to search something about xbox series X , type xbox series X ... wtf ?? rly i wont do that just wont

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Xbox V just sounded cool to me early on. And it would look like Xbox 5 to match with the only competitor they actually care about. Probably not the best name, but it rolls of the tongue better than "Series X." No one is going to say that shit out loud.

Top Bottom