• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naoto Oshima (Sonic, Nights) designs [ugly] monsters for new Terra Battle daily quest

duckroll

Those of you who play Terra Battle might remember that Naoto Oshima promised to design some new "colorful" monsters for the game when one of the Download Starter goals were met early on. His content is finally arriving in the game in the form of a new Daily Quest which is start it's rotation next Friday.

Those of you familiar with Oshima's past relationship with Mistwalker and Sakaguchi will also remember that he designed the characters for Away Shuffle Dungeon, and they looked pretty goofy. Well, it seems he has only gotten worse as time passed!

Behold, the HORROR! :)

http://www.4gamer.net/games/263/G026384/20150522056/

GLpbilL.jpg

iaZLLar.jpg

2iCeNXK.jpg

Katori

Man, what the heck is that hedgehog-creature?

Also, I play this game, and these designs totally don't fit the atmosphere.

Monocle

An inspiration to hacks everywhere. If this guy can peddle his terrible art for money, perhaps you can too!

Blueblur1

I was hoping for some originality to be on display. That's a werehog lookalike and a Lumina lookalike (she's from Sonic Shuffle).

duckroll

Time for some history lessons! :D

This is Oshima's old concept artwork for Sonic:

GszM9lW.png

And this is his original design for Nights:

taiMqMi.jpg

He did these designs for Mistwalker's Away Shuffle Dungeon:

zGBWMGW.jpg

He truly inspires us all. :)

I knew what to expect when I clicked on that link but I wasn't ready. I really wasn't ready.

Might have to reinstall now and get these. . .

Tizoc

I honestly don't see what's wrong with the design other than the color is drab? For lack of a better word. It's his art style and I like it.

GszM9lW.png
i LOve the 90s cartoon charm in this =3

GszM9lW.png

And this is his original design for Nights:

taiMqMi.jpg

He did these designs for Mistwalker's Away Shuffle Dungeon:

zGBWMGW.jpg

He truly inspires us all. :)
I dunno, the Away Shuffle Dungeon ones don't look bad to me.

These new designs look like he's trying to imitate Uekawa's Sonic Adventure art, though.

CTLance

Oh ew. Clashes with the art style of the rest of the game.

Then again, haven't played in ages so my opinion on the matter is probably worthless. If the fans can stomach the artistic whiplash, then why not.

duckroll

Nice to see a good representation of Away fans! I liked the game too!

The monster designs were way better than the characters though:

Z4EyRYG.jpg

orioto

Good Art™
The way japanese devs and vets videogame artists there just stick together in that sinking ship. It's somewhat moving yet a little sad... It's not super far from looking like some kind of old wrestler reunion in a supermarket or something..

I mean, terra battle is a great game at least!

I shouldn't be surprised finding out that the original character designer of Sonic the Hedgehog likes to draw Sonic OC on the side but here we are.

duckroll

Will the upcoming story text also be on par with sonic fanfics

I've only done the first mission in chapter 31 so far, but it seems pretty interesting. You get teleported to an alien planet and the first mission is a single battle against a pretty tough giant Antlion boss.

Sakaguchi said that for the new chapters expect more variety and a "Star Trek" style direction for the story. Whatever that means. Hopefully they'll release new chapters more frequently now that they finally started with Part 2.

Yeah, Arzest list the game on their site.

What's odd is that this is so Yuji Uekawa-esc, like the original SA1 artwork. Are we sure Ohshima didn't do those redesigns and/or artwork?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
...it was nice of him to try and keep to the consistent quality of the existing artwork! Cough.

That grey hedgehog isn't even trying.

Top Bottom