• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm series tops 12 million shipped

Skilletor

Awesome. My guiltiest of pleasures. Gameplay isn't the best, but goddamn if it isn't one of the best looking games ever. Hits all of my fanboy notes just right.

Rymuth

Congrats.

They should really do a Naruto game in lieu of Xenoverse wherein you insert your own custom-made character into the storyline.

20 million lifetime sales, at least.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Awesome. My guiltiest of pleasures. Gameplay isn't the best, but goddamn if it isn't one of the best looking games ever. Hits all of my fanboy notes just right.
So much great animation and watched a lot of it growing up.

Mesoian

Beh.

Those PS2 fighters were superior in every way. Them leaning into the flawed mess that is the Storm fighting system even now does nothing but bum me out.

Good for them.

I still wish they could have continued the Clash of Ninja series. Just fun and simple 3D fighting. It's a real shame NA never got to experience the 4th installment as that really seems to have brought the best mechanics and gameplay.

I love the UNS series. Still excited about the next one, although I feel the demo they chose was pretty poor. The game is at it best when you're playing with a friend and you're both trading blow for blow, quickly trying to decide wether a jutsu or a grab or a combo is the best follow up. Playing as 2 hulking, slow monsters that take 30 seconds to land an attack was the opposite of what I enjoy about these games.

exfatal

Naruto ninja storm 2 will still be the best Naruto in terms of recreating the storyline, but as for best naruto games really wish they stuck with the 2d fighting and brought at least 1 more game for the Nintendo consoles, the clash of ninja series. Really hope number 4 is as good as number 2 when it comes to replaying the story, looks like they are on the right track though

Order

I love playing these games locally, even if winning is basically "Who can manage their substitution meter the best"

DedValve

Banned
Congrats.

They should really do a Naruto game in lieu of Xenoverse wherein you insert your own custom-made character into the storyline.

Choose what village your from and have the option to romance characters from the series and its over.

I really love this series and the animation is superb. I always enjoyed playing Naruto games, so much fun. UNS can be a bit too simplistic for my liking so I'm hoping that if they ever do go back to Naruto they'll bring back a tad more complexity. This one at least has the ability to choose jutsu right? About time that got added in.

I still dream of a mash up between the storm games for combat and rise of ninja/broken bond for exploration and adventure.

Storm 1 is still my favorite.

Slayven

Congrats.

They would be stupid not to, the customization options alone tops the DBZ universe.
Franchise will probably hit Ninja Storm 10 before the goddamn anime is over.

They stretching the fuck out of the last 10 chapters.

thenexus6

I never liked the storm games, the two on the Xbox 360 (Rise of a Ninja and Broken Bonds) where better because you could actually travel around the villages and do stuff.

I never liked the storm games, the two on the Xbox 360 (Rise of a Ninja and Broken Bonds) where better because you could actually travel around the villages and do stuff.

You could do that in Storm 1 too. I don't know why they tone it down with the sequels.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Franchise will probably hit Ninja Storm 10 before the goddamn anime is over.

This is supposed to be the last "Storm" game. I'm assuming they're still making more Naruto titles, but that they're going to change up the direction a bit and take advantage of the fact they can go back to the beginning again if they want with a "new" series.

Nice. Excited for UNS4.
Hope one day other shounen anime gets games with the same quality and production values.

My Hero Academia Ultimate Hero Storm When?

Skilletor

I never liked those games because the fighting was awful and I never cared about running around the villages.

I like these games because the fights are animated better than the anime ever will be.

Man, Gai v. Madara. HNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG!

Revven

You could do that in Storm 1 too. I don't know why they tone it down with the sequels.

Probably because the focus has shifted more to making tons of characters and doing way more cinematic fights which definitely can take away a good amount of resources/time to create. I also believe Storm 1 is way shorter and covers a lot less of part 1 than it should have so it makes sense that they were able to make a more fleshed out "free roam" for that game than the more recent ones.

They simply don't have the time anymore to do both and people often prefer the actual fighting/cinematic battles than the lame free roaming. I mean, what are you even going to do with a free roam in a Naruto game? Get ramen? Do random errands that are terribly boring? As it is, these things are already kind of featured in their very linear "free roam" pieces and people don't like it.

Personally, free roam adds nothing to this series and would only serve to drag out the story. That's what happened in Storm 3 when they only had the linear sections, imagine an actual full scale free roam... it'd take even more and more slow "running" to get to the next important part of the story.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
CC2 should really try their own project again, something even bigger than what they've done before.

Get some people who are really good at gameplay and action based combat into the team and try something like Asura's Wrath again.

They clearly have so much fucking talent and technical chops(probably some of the best in Japan), and the love for whatever their making, but they need direction and just a few more things.

tumblr_nss9k1ZJ8K1txj8weo1_540.gif

tumblr_nsmrd7YTdt1rs5gxyo2_500.gif

tumblr_nsms90ZMZY1rs5gxyo2_500.gif

tumblr_nsl8z7nThT1r5wdvfo1_540.gif

Impulsor

CC2 should really try their own project again, something even bigger than what they've done before.

Get some people who are really good at gameplay and action based combat into the team and try something like Asura's Wrath again.

They clearly have so much fucking talent and technical chops(probably some of the best in Japan), and the love for whatever their making, but they need direction and just a few more things.

What do you mean when you say they "need direction"?

kuroshiki

Judging by the screenshots, they don't need directions. Actually, others need to acquire 'directions' from them.

I never liked those games because the fighting was awful and I never cared about running around the villages.

I like these games because the fights are animated better than the anime ever will be.

Man, Gai v. Madara. HNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG!

Yes, A BILLION TRILLION GAGAGAGILLION TIMES YES.

Is there a video of it already on youtube or something? OMFG!!!!!!!

Same. Visually, its a gorgeous game series and a lot of the things have faithfully recreated. Watched so much Naruto growing up.
I love playing these games locally, even if winning is basically "Who can manage their substitution meter the best"

Nothing wrong with the game being based around resource management

Spiegel

I noticed we didn't have a thread on this when pulling the numbers for the series for another discussion: http://www.bandainamcoent.com/game/naruto-shippuden-ultimate-ninja-storm-4.html

Back when it was at 10 million, the distribution was as follows: http://andriasang.com/comzmu/naruto_shipments/

The first four games have done about ~500K in Japan judging by Media Create.

If I'm reading this correctly the 10M in 2012 was for all Naruto games (all PS2/PSP/PS3/360 games included) made by Bandai.

The 12M is only for the four Ultimate Ninja Storm games

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If I'm reading this correctly the 10M in 2012 was for all Naruto games (all PS2/PSP/PS3/360 games included) made by Bandai.

The 12M is only for the four Ultimate Ninja Storm games

...I believe you are right actually. My mistake. I've amended the OP.

EhoaVash

i hate what this series has become, storm 3 was awful, and the 2 games after that were awful.

This series used to do amazing fan service but now that has become very poor, hope storm 4 manages to change my opinion.

also I'll never forget clash of the ninja games which imo were way better than what storm games are now T_T

Really enjoyed UNS2 on the PS3 and look forward to this new one once they release a Full Burst version. The controls were really easy to pick up (for a fighting game rookie like me) and the battles were always such ridiculous over-the-top spectacles and looked cool as shit.

These games never top any sales list as as I can see. Where do they sell so much?

They along with many other anime games do quite well in Europe. A good recent example of that is One Piece Warriors 3. It topped a million worldwide and NAMCO brokedown the sales per region. It sold 380k in Japan, 200k in Asia, 100k in the US, and 320k in Europe.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What do you mean when you say they "need direction"?

Like Guerrilla, they get a lot of flack for being "shallow but pretty" experiences. But Guerrilla got a lot of kudos with Horizon for filling out their core team with open world RPG experienced folks in the industry.

CC2 should fill out their resume a bit more with people who are experienced with deeper gameplay systems and designs, they can really make something special i think, if they really invested more into growing their skills in areas besides the ones they are comfortable

i hate what this series has become, storm 3 was awful, and the 2 games after that were awful.
Storm 2 was the exact same thing as 3. Generations an Revolution were pointless, but 4 seems the same as the other numbered entrees

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They along with many other anime games do quite well in Europe. A good recent example of that is One Piece Warriors 3. It topped a million worldwide and NAMCO brokedown the sales per region. It sold 380k in Japan, 200k in Asia, 100k in the US, and 320k in Europe.
Their US sales numbers are usually pretty reasonable as well which is why they float to the top.

Top Bottom