• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA exoplanet discovery conference (7 Earth-sized planets, 3 in habitable zone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
- What killed the thousands of people living in this town?!

They massacred each other over whether or not ketchup is a suitable topping for hotdogs. The rest were killed when someone tried to put pineapple on pizza.
And is now run by a remnant fascist state of anime avatars.

Keyouta

Pretty exciting, I hope the James Webb launch next year goes perfect so we could possibly see more of this system.

Niks

Can't understand why aren't governments throwing money at researching / developing faster means of space travel.

Image you'd be the first human astronaut standing on the surface of Lambiek and looking up you'd see the planets Struise Pannepot, Leffe, Hoegaarden and Oud Beersel floating over the reddish clouds.
Nah, need real trappistbeers as names. Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle and Westvleteren. Throw in La Trappe to round it out.

I'd never leave that system, goddamn. It'd be the greatest place in the galaxy.

daveo42

Banned
Can't understand why aren't governments throwing money at researching / developing faster means of space travel.

Because they are more interested in protecting their own terrestrial interests over advancement of the species a whole. I mean, we're lucky that NASA exists now even if it only came to be as a way to try and 1-up the USSR during the Cold War.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...h-of-earth-size-habitable-zone-planets-around

E, F, G are in the habitable zone.

5_lineup_pia21422-png.png

Ha, looks exactly like Elite Dangerous' system info. The amount of times I've scanned those Earth-like planets...

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm a little confused by this statement:

All of these seven planets could have liquid water – key to life as we know it – under the right atmospheric conditions, but the chances are highest with the three in the habitable zone.

I thought the habitable zone was defined by the ability to have liquid water at the surface?

So who wants to create a startup with me where we launch little nano-satellites with cameras and sails to ride the sunlight there

We'll be dead by the time the images get back of course

Trappist-1 is at least 500 million years old, but has an estimated lifespan of 10 trillion years.

The sun, by comparison, is about halfway through its estimated 10-billion-year life.

In a few billion years, when the sun has run out of fuel and the solar system has ceased to exist, Trappist-1 will still be an infant star, astronomer IgnasSnellen, with the Netherlands' Leiden Observatory, wrote in a related essay in Nature.

That puts things into perspective.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Nah, need real trappistbeers as names. Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle and Westvleteren. Throw in La Trappe to round it out.

I'd never leave that system, goddamn. It'd be the greatest place in the galaxy.

love you. Unless this is where you reveal you love IPAs. My goal in life is to end the shitty IPA fad, and replace it with belgians - dobbel through quads..

DavidDesu

Is this the Hosnian system? Always thought several rocky earth like planets in the same solar system seemed unlikely... Welp the u overseas just made Star Wars more believable.

This is amazing. I'm sort of expecting actual life to be found on another planet in another solar system in the near future once telescopes and techniques improve. Amazing time to be alive. When I say life I mean an obviously green planet of some kind. Not aliens.. But I also expect aliens eventually!

I'm a little confused by this statement:

I thought the habitable zone was defined by the ability to have liquid water at the surface?
I maybe be wrong here but liquid water can still exist outside of the habitable zone due to thicker atmosphere or tidal flexing kind of like on Europa. Europas waters not on the surface but it might be under the ice, and thats out of the habitable zone. And I think I heard them say that these planets are close enough to each other that they can create tidal forces with each other.

I think habitable zone is just the most likely area around a star to find these conditions.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I maybe be wrong here but liquid water can still exist outside of the habitable zone due to thicker atmosphere or tidal flexing kind of like on Europa. Europas waters not on the surface but it might be under the ice, and thats out of the habitable zone. And I think I heard them say that these planets are close enough to each other that they can create tidal forces with each other.

I think habitable zone is just the most likely area around a star to find these conditions.

I guess it could also mean things like radiation. I'm assuming that the term "habitable zone" is a little more nuanced than I thought.

KoopaTheCasual

Thought:

These findings trace back to things they were observing back of May of 2016.

(Not to diminish the importance of these discoveries being publicized now, but) I think this is NASA making a big grand discovery of how useful they are, so that any budget cuts from Donald Cheeto will look really really bad.

But who am I kidding? He'll make the cuts regardless.
Hasn't Trump pledged to put more money into space travel? Could be a lone bright spot for some folks.
Has he? If so that's funny because it flies in the face of his general anti-intellectualism stance.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So...uh...what's the over/under on finding stable wormholes to travel through within let's say the next 40 yrs?

Linkyn

Doesn't the fact that the star is smaller mean it will have a shorter lifespan? Or am I off the mark here?

For stars, luminosity (the rate at which they use up energy) is proportional to a higher power of mass (about 3.5), so the most massive stars burn out more quickly and thus have the shortest lives. This is actually one of the ways astronomers can determine the age of a stellar cluster - by looking for the most massive stars in the cluster (if stars of a given mass are still there, you can put an upper limit on the age of the cluster).

Consequently, a red dwarf like this one will comfortably live on billions of years after out own Sun has used up the material in its core.

RedSwirl

So no actual confirmation of water on any of the habitable zone planets, just speculation that one might.

Just started looking at the actual story at NASA. It actually says all of them could possibly have liquid water under the right atmospheric conditions. The three middle ones are just where the chances are highest.

BizzyBum

Can you imagine if like 2-3 of the planets in that solar system had some sort of advanced life like us? Would be like if we could interact with other people on Venus and Mars, that would definitely expedite space travel. lol

Every time I see cool space news I just get depressed because all we care about is funding stuff to kill people with or fucking up our planet with global warming. Until these things change (they won't) we'll never get far in terms of space travel unless we get some unprecedented breakthrough or friendly aliens visit us and share their tech.

eot

Banned
Exciting stuff, I have to believe that in my lifetime we'll have the technology to get extremely clear images of these star systems.

Don't count on it, I did a back of the napkin calculation and you'd need a telescope roughly 10km wide to resolve the planet itself, let alone any features on it. That's of course not taking the snr problems into account.

Melon Husk

RedSwirl

By the way, if any of those planets is "earth-like" they're still all tidally locked. Go and look up artist conceptions of tidally locked exoplanets.

If one had liquid water, it's possible the entire half of the planet facing away from the star could be a giant glacier in permanent night. The side directly facing the sun could be pretty hot too, so the most "habitable" area could be in the sort of "twilight" area. I think that's what they're trying to illustrate in TRAPPIST-1f in one of the pictures above.

Cimarron

I propose we name the 3 planets in the goldilocks zone Motovia, Palma, and Dezoris. We should also build a massive mother ship and call it Noah and invade the sh!t out of them. If we start now it should take a bout 1,000 years.

latest

My 90's kid fam should know what I am talking about! ;)

nubbe

Well, we have 3 candidate planets in our system... so it would be foolish to think there aren't 3 or more candidates in many systems

Man I hope sometime in my Lifetime we get the ability to actually directly image planets like this. Would be incredible. I should have a good 35 - 40 years left in the tank so I think its not impossible.

Trickster

Wow that star system is bonkers. Several goldilock planets so close together. Imagine the drive we'd have to visit mars if it were a similar distance from us as those planets are from each other...

This is one hell of a discovery. Seven earth sized planets with three being in the goldilocks zone seems like a "one in a million" sort of a discovery.

this announcement makes me so incredibly happy. Just a shame getting to those planets won't happen in my life time. (or will it?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom