• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA's Juno spacecraft to fly over Jupiter's great red spot July 10

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit -

Spot spotted! #JunoCam raw images from my #Jupiter #GreatRedSpot flyby are available now. Download, process + share https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing?phases[]=PERIJOVE+7 …

— NASA's Juno Mission (@NASAJuno) July 12, 2017

Early Raw: https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/ju...b_from=&ob_to=&phases[]=PERIJOVE+7&perpage=16

BPaSblq.jpg

BGgllHz.jpg

F7bKN3p.jpg

Crowd processed: https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/ju...ublic&ob_from=&ob_to=&users[]=4657&perpage=16

q4Z8JlP.jpg

gEzX8Jl.jpg

Seán Doran

Link.

Just days after celebrating its first anniversary in Jupiter orbit, NASA's Juno spacecraft will fly directly over Jupiter's Great Red Spot, the gas giant's iconic, 10,000-mile-wide (16,000-kilometer-wide) storm. This will be humanity's first up-close and personal view of the gigantic feature -- a storm monitored since 1830 and possibly existing for more than 350 years.

"Jupiter's mysterious Great Red Spot is probably the best-known feature of Jupiter," said Scott Bolton, principal investigator of Juno from the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio. "This monumental storm has raged on the solar system's biggest planet for centuries. Now, Juno and her cloud-penetrating science instruments will dive in to see how deep the roots of this storm go, and help us understand how this giant storm works and what makes it so special."

The data collection of the Great Red Spot is part of Juno's sixth science flyby over Jupiter's mysterious cloud tops. Perijove (the point at which an orbit comes closest to Jupiter's center) will be on Monday, July 10, at 6:55 p.m. PDT (9:55 p.m. EDT). At the time of perijove, Juno will be about 2,200 miles (3,500 kilometers) above the planet's cloud tops. Eleven minutes and 33 seconds later, Juno will have covered another 24,713 miles (39,771 kilometers) and will be directly above the coiling crimson cloud tops of Jupiter's Great Red Spot. The spacecraft will pass about 5,600 miles (9,000 kilometers) above the Giant Red Spot clouds. All eight of the spacecraft's instruments as well as its imager, JunoCam, will be on during the flyby.

On July 4 at 7:30 p.m. PDT (10:30 p.m. EDT), Juno will have logged exactly one year in Jupiter orbit. At the time, the spacecraft will have chalked up about 71 million miles (114.5 million kilometers) in orbit around the giant planet.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
How the fuck has it already been a year. Wow, can't wait to see the images that come out of this.

dabig2

Pretty exciting. I'm having a hard time imaging a storm being 10,000 miles wide.

Scary thing is that was more than double that size in the past, but it's been shrinking every year since we started looking at it in the late 1800s.

Still large enough today to fit earth inside though, which is awesome and frightening.

jett

D-Member
Just days after celebrating its first anniversary in Jupiter orbit

WTF it's already been a year? Why does it feel like time passes by faster the older you get. :|

p.s. I demand a recreation of this, NASA.

jupiter2.gif

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Telescopes in Hawaii have obtained new images of Jupiter and its Great Red Spot, which will assist the first-ever close-up study of the Great Red Spot, planned for July 10. On that date, NASA's Juno spacecraft will fly directly over the giant planet's most famous feature at an altitude of only about 5,600 miles (9,000 kilometers).

Throughout the Juno mission, numerous observations of Jupiter by Earth-based telescopes have been acquired in coordination with the mission, to help Juno investigate the giant planet's atmosphere. On May 18, 2017, the Gemini North telescope and the Subaru Telescope, both on Hawaii's Mauna Kea peak, simultaneously examined Jupiter in very high resolution at different wavelengths. These latest observations supplement others earlier this year in providing information about atmospheric dynamics at different depths at the Great Red Spot and other regions of Jupiter.

Izayoi

Banned
Juno has already produced some absolutely stunning images. Can't wait to see the results of this pass.

Code:
[img]https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/pia21386.jpg[/img]

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Juno has already produced some absolutely stunning images. Can't wait to see the results of this pass.

Code:
[img]https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/pia21386.jpg[/img]

The photos it has sent back and the images people have produced here have been breathtaking.

Scary thing is that was more than double that size in the past, but it's been shrinking every year since we started looking at it in the late 1800s.

Still large enough today to fit earth inside though, which is awesome and frightening.

Yeah, the shrinkage has been strange but the size of it is still beyond comprehension. Stuff like this hurts my brain.

WTF it's already been a year? Why does it feel like time passes by faster the older you get. :|

I don't know if this is true, but a friend of my dad's told me that as you get older a year is a smaller proportion of you life, therefore it feels like each year goes quicker.

Preezy

I don't know if this is true, but a friend of my dad's told me that as you get older a year is a smaller proportion of you life, therefore it feels like each year goes quicker.
Yes that is true.

If you're 10 years old, each year of your life to that point is 10% of the total.
If you're 100 years old, each year of your life to that point is 1% of the total.

cameron

AP: NASA's Juno spacecraft buzzing Jupiter's Great Red Spot
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — NASA's Juno spacecraft is about to give us our best look yet of Jupiter's swirling Great Red Spot.

The spacecraft flies directly above the monster storm Monday night, passing 5,600 miles (9,000 kilometers) above the cloud tops. That's close by space standards. Juno's instruments will peer through the clouds and help scientists determine how deep the storm is.

The Great Red Spot is so big that at 10,000 miles wide (16,000 kilometers), it could swallow Earth. It will take NASA a few days to get the close-up images. The team plans to release them Friday.

Juno went into orbit around Jupiter last July. It was launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida, in 2011. Only one other spacecraft has circled our solar system's biggest planet: NASA's long-gone Galileo.

Tonight's the night I'll fly over #Jupiter's #GreatRedSpot! Closest approach is 6:55pm PT. Images expected July 14 https://go.nasa.gov/2sXiTuM

— NASA's Juno Mission (@NASAJuno) July 10, 2017

Have to wait until Friday for images.

Hc9CAEg.gif

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just saw a social media post from NASA, they said Juno is sending the data back now.

Despera

Banned
Just amazing. We need to see in motion though!

Awesome, but It looks a lot bigger than the pictures we normally see. In that picture it looks like it is taking up most of the planet.
It's a perspective thing due to being in close proximity to the spot.

pr0cs

I hope there is a way to composite images to make video or animation. Close up movement of the spot would be cool

Top Bottom