• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natural Selection 2? This YEAR? (with incredible teaser footage)

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
ONOS!

Hopefully this is true but I'm not getting my hopes up. NS is the best multiplayer game ever though so this will be worth the wait.

Lord Phol

Wow, totally forgot about this game. Remember seeing that video with the creep thing taking over bits of the level, pretty cool stuff.
Too bad it costs money though, probably won't play it :7.

First one was fun, but never been a fan of their design choices, the aliens are especially boring and uninspired.

Edit: After wathcing the Video I see they have improved a bit, but still, a rhino on a ship?

Jenga

Banned
OGNO ONOS

I'm pre-ordering. The graphics look pretty damn close to the original...I'm happy about that.

I'm just curious how the gameplay is going to change.

Also, nice Onos re-design

Draft

LOVE the Onos redesign.

I'm pre-ordering the SE. I want to just throw money at Flayrra over and over and over again.

twofold

Played what must have been over a few thousand hours of the original (arguably the best competitive multiplayer game I've played yet). I really hope the sequel can capture just a bit of the magic that made the original so good.

NS2 Special bought!

Jenga

Banned
Draft said:
LOVE the Onos redesign.

I'm pre-ordering the SE. I want to just throw money at Flayrra over and over and over again.
You know, I'm hoping they really do they get all the money they can get. NS is arguably my most played multiplayer game next to TF2.

Lord Phol

Always wondered why there's never been a starcraft themed game like this, would be perfect.
RTS/FPS Terran vs Zerg/Protoss action, hell yeh!

Johann

Jenga said:
OGNO ONOS

I'm pre-ordering. The graphics look pretty damn close to the original...I'm happy about that.

I'm just curious how the gameplay is going to change.

Also, nice Onos re-design

The biggest one so far seems to be 'dynamic infestation,' which is a fungus like growth that expands depending on the alien's team's performance. It's speculated that it will act as an early warning system (especially for the aliens) and introduce environmental gameplay, such as disabling power for lights or computer systems and giving a performance boost to aliens fighting in the environment.

Draft

Johann said:
The biggest one so far seems to be 'dynamic infestation,' which is a fungus like growth that expands depending on the alien's team's performance. It's speculated that it will act as an early warning system (especially for the aliens) and introduce environmental gameplay, such as disabling power for lights or computer systems and giving a performance boost to aliens fighting in the environment.
Yeah, and you can burn away the infestation with a flamethrower.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

TheExodu5

Banned
NS is amazing. NS2 is definitely one of my most anticipated games right now.

I am so close to pushing that SE pre-order button, but am holding back since it may not include the Steam version.

Pikelet

Probably one of my most played games of all time. Although some of the design choices i have found kinda weird for the sequel (such as limiting areas where you can build, alien commander, multiple commanders) its still on my most anticipated list. Will buy the special edition when i can get it confirmed as the steam version to make up for never being a constellation member

I think I'll hold off on the pre-order since they say to assume you're not paying for a steam version.

I'm so fucking pumped for this though, and I love the price :D

Facism

Can't wait, will be preordering when i get paypal set up again.

NS wipes its arse with all modern MP. Even after Gears, Halo, MGO, KZ2, i always end up going back to it.

Opiate

Please come out. Please.

And I don't mean "now," I just mean ever. I'm very afraid this will be another Duke Nukem Forever.

Vinci

Danish
Opiate said:
Please come out. Please.

And I don't mean "now," I just mean ever. I'm very afraid this will be another Duke Nukem Forever.

That's where I was too. Good god, yes. Come out.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
saw this yesterday, was waiting on the hd footage to start a thread. it's not surprising that they've had to build their own engine, using source as a baseline, considering what they're going for.

with this, arma 2 and the red orchestra sequel looming, fps is suddenly looking interesting again.

notsol337

marked forever
I can't get NS to even work anymore. Hope NS2 works because... om nom nom, it's one of my favorite goldsource games.

been waiting years for this game, my umbra flying technique is rusty as well as my block every other marine so i can get inside the commander's chair =). Best mod i had ever played, i am tempted to preorder but paypal is not my friend.

Rur0ni

Workout Steam, and you have my pre-order.

I played a TON of NS. It was probably my favorite HL1 mod. I loved having a commander drop you shit and get upgrades.

edit:
momolicious said:
Why isnt this free like the first one?
This isn't a mod. You could ask why CS isn't free, and get the same result.

I loved NS back in the day! It's the origin of my username. The Gorge was the engineer of the alien side.

I really hope the devs have saw the mistake of trying to balance the game for 6 v 6 clan matches. I hope they take the TF2 route, where if the game is fun, the clans will just put up with any 'cheapness.' Personally, I'd prefer that the Skulk (lvl 1 alien) vs one marine should always win. It would encourage the original vision of the game where marines had to work together to combat the infestation. Rambos should be mercilessly slaughtered. To accomplish this, I'd crib from L4D and give the Skulk the Hunter pounce attack.

DrPirate

Banned
momolicious said:
Why isnt this free like the first one?

imo, the first one was a very gratuitous gift. It was free because it was a half-life mod.

Charlie set up his own games studio and naturally, this talented team wants to make money for their efforts.

I donated 15 for the firs NS and I will DEFINTELY be buying this.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well they say the plan is to have it available on Steam, they just haven't gotten a response from Valve. Also, the game uses Steamworks, so I'm pretty positive it will be available through Steam.

I'm going to go ahead with the pre-order.

Sullen

I want to believe, but it has been so long that this is kinda falling into "I'll believe it when it is actually out." territory.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Natural Selection was far and away my favorite HL mod. I would pre-order in a heartbeat if they offered a Steam version, but since it's retail right now, I'm going to play the waiting game.

I stopped following the NS2 updates sometime in... oh... 2006. Good to see it's finally seeing a release (even if it's not free).

Zyzyxxz

I'll wait for the pre-order to go up on Steam.

$20 is going to be a steal for the a quality game that's probably gonna be better than much of the shit that has been out in recent times.

Opiate

Gorgie said:
I loved NS back in the day! It's the origin of my username. The Gorge was the engineer of the alien side.

I really hope the devs have saw the mistake of trying to balance the game for 6 v 6 clan matches. I hope they take the TF2 route, where if the game is fun, the clans will just put up with any 'cheapness.' Personally, I'd prefer that the Skulk (lvl 1 alien) vs one marine should always win. It would encourage the original vision of the game where marines had to work together to combat the infestation. Rambos should be mercilessly slaughtered. To accomplish this, I'd crib from L4D and give the Skulk the Hunter pounce attack.

They had one -- leap. It didnt even require a setup like Hunter Pounce does (i.e. crouch activating the ability).

It did take two hives, though, to use the ability. I'd be fine with leap as a 1 hive ability, but it would require tweaking the maps significantly to compensate.

saw this yesterday. i hope they balance out the races finally. i rarely ever played a marine-winning game without the marines outnumbering the aliens significantly.

im going to bookmark the preorder page and f5 it each day. they said they're asking valve if their preorders on the site will carry over to steam when the game releases.

Opiate

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
saw this yesterday. i hope they balance out the races finally. i rarely ever played a marine-winning game without the marines outnumbering the aliens significantly.

im going to bookmark the preorder page and f5 it each day. they said they're asking valve if their preorders on the site will carry over to steam when the game releases.

It's the other way around. Marines were significantly too powerful.

I'm talking at high levels of play, of course: I'm not sure if it's correct to balance for high level play or low level.

Mindlog

Opiate said:
They had one -- leap. It didnt even require a setup like Hunter Pounce does (i.e. crouch activating the ability).

It did take two hives, though, to use the ability. I'd be fine with leap as a 1 hive ability, but it would require tweaking the maps significantly to compensate.

I'll admit it. At least half my playtime was with the CO mod.

Skulk, Lerk and Fade could be so much fun to play as. Leveling up and flying around the map with big damage, but paper thin armor.

Onos leveled up could be fun sometimes in a snow plow kind of way.

Leveled up gorge could be fun from time to time. Especially when catching unwary marines in wev with an upgraded heal.

Traditional was fun as well. Can't wait for NS2.

Pre-order? Isn't it coming out on Steam? I loved the original NS to death, I hope this one can live up to it considering the long development time.

Opiate said:
It's the other way around. Marines were significantly too powerful.

I'm talking at high levels of play, of course: I'm not sure if it's correct to balance for high level play or low level.

im going to choose to strongly disagree. i have NEVER won on the marine side- even with some high and mighty clan in their own server, unless we were WAY outnumbering the aliens.

takes too many bullets to kill and alien and they can kill us in one chomp- maybe two with the heavy armor. that and how stealthy they can be. one little alien can take out 3 marines that were just going down a hallway to build a harvester.

i think it's just been balanced for a full server with everyone being on the same skill level. that's unrealistic for online public matches, or even with clans, so maybe they (if they haven't already) should talk to other devs on how they tested the balance. i can't believe it made it past the betas back in the day. it's like cs: people play CT's when T is full or autobalance forces them to.

sorry just venting my lengthy observations of the marines being pathetic.

if you ever play a CO server you prolly know my xenocide spam (lol hard iknorite?!)

I played firstly on Guns4Back2School, then I went 187combat, now Im at BAD, the community is getting so small now tho, its kinda sad :\

the skulk leap has forever ruined my chances at a hunter in l4d, im just so used to the skulk leap i was always ending up short in l4d.

been following this for a long time its nice to see it finally may make it out, though changing engines totally from source to their own... will remain to be seen how good it is, Max makes some pretty cool looking tools tho.

Draft

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
im going to choose to strongly disagree. i have NEVER won on the marine side- even with some high and mighty clan in their own server, unless we were WAY outnumbering the aliens.

takes too many bullets to kill and alien and they can kill us in one chomp- maybe two with the heavy armor. that and how stealthy they can be. one little alien can take out 3 marines that were just going down a hallway to build a harvester.

i think it's just been balanced for a full server with everyone being on the same skill level. that's unrealistic for online public matches, or even with clans, so maybe they (if they haven't already) should talk to other devs on how they tested the balance. i can't believe it made it past the betas back in the day. it's like cs: people play CT's when T is full or autobalance forces them to.

sorry just venting my lengthy observations of the marines being pathetic.
Marines are kind of blatantly overpowered in the hands of anyone who can secure a strong resource chain and start spamming heavies.

Draft said:
Marines are kind of blatantly overpowered in the hands of anyone who can secure a strong resource chain and start spamming heavies.

maybe i just had the extreme misfortune of always having tard commanders. i've seen dual-hq setups with tons of sentries and heavy grenadiers fall to nothing but skulks and the small fries from one hive- no onos needed.

hopefully after my 3 year break and a sequel i can get back in and find some people with some sense. my roomie at the time would only play aliens. maybe i'll force him to load it up and play this weekend for a refresher.

Top Bottom