• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog “surprised no one has found the secrets we’ve dropped around the internet

iosefe

I still believe the fact that the cipher was a mason/Rosicrucion cipher is significant, not just what it translates to. i'm getting a National Treasure vibe

LastNac

And they're terrible. Job is an apt term actually, it's like a monotonous job, it takes no skill, no intelligence, but practical application.

Yes, it would.

I didn't mean you should be in peril, I was pointing out why I don't see it as anything like Indiana Jones. I like puzzles to not punish experimentation, but I also like them to require it.

I should say, even though I think UC3 is a bad game, and TLoU is all time top five material, the puzzle design in TLoU is truly awful too, maybe even worse actually, because they pretend to have logical/practical requirements.

They're a pace changer. If they were frustrating than I doubt the experience overall would be as enjoyable. Hell, they'd also stand out like a sore thumb.

People seem to forget that Drake's journal is crucial when it comes to most of these puzzles. Is it an indepth walkthrough that captures techniques and formulas required to master mind bender's? No. Its a small cipher to remind you of certain orders and structures. I like that the journal can be consulted and I like the fact the puzzles often require a quick second look. Are they simple? Ofcourse. But they are fairly neat overall. I'm not so full of myself to acknowledge simplicity and then quickly dismiss it just because I think its beneath me. Would I like something varied? Ofcourse, I loved the shadow puzzle because it was unconventional, not because it killed the pace and I needed to work it out for 15 minutes, destroying an sense of immediacy.

I dont want Uncharted to be an action/adventure puzzle game. If I wanted a puzzle id go play a puzzle game(The Witness perhaps).

By the way, ive missed this. ;)

LastNac

Let me ask this, what is the franchise you would like to see Uncharted be similar to in regards to its puzzles.

StuBurns

Banned
Let me ask this, what is the franchise you would like to see Uncharted be similar to in regards to its puzzles.
I would rather they drop them. I do think the pacing is essential, but I'd much rather the relaxed moments center on character development, or just wanderlust distractions.

To me, the puzzles as they currently are, are the equivalent of playing the combat encounters with God-mode on, pointless.

But, if they wanted to keep them, I do think a puzzle difficulty toggle would be great. Take for example that depressed tile puzzle mentioned earlier. Easy puzzles could be that as it is, medium could be with a more abstract version of the image in his book, hard could be with a written inscription that can be decrypted to reveal the order it's safe to walk on, and the expert difficulty could be that, but stepping on the wrong tile makes the floor fall in.

Vizzeh

Banned
What is it? Can't watch right now.....

Its TloU 90min documentary that just became free a few days ago, very very good insight into the production of TloU and interviews/behind the scenes at Naughty dog, specifically the bit im referring too, is a tiny snippet of many interviews with Druckman. (im still watching the documentary, multitasking atm)

Its TloU 90min documentary that just became free a few days ago, very very good insight into the production of TloU and interviews/behind the scenes at Naughty dog, specifically the bit im referring too, is a tiny snippet of many interviews with Druckman. (im still watching the documentary, multitasking atm)

I have watched it I just didn't know if you found something in the background that I missed that had something to do with this mystery.

It is an AWESOME documentary!

Vizzeh

Banned
Yeah its pretty good so far. Been waiting for this documentary for a while, looking forward to getting into it further.

The quote:

Neil Druckman: "What is intriguing to me after the fact is knowing, that we are kind of creating a female action figure in a way and this is her origin story with Ellie"

Lead me to believe that they have started a journey with the creation of Ellie as a "female action figure" with their admittance that TloU 1 is the origin story, it suggests they have ideas for her/have created something, imo.

Thought it was worthwhile pointing out that quote.

Vizzeh

Banned
Never thought of that. Great point.

Hope something comes out about Uncharted soon. With Amy Henning leaving........man.

Yeah I am buzzed for information on that too. I have faith with the writters at ND though, it could be an Uncharted doing a Batman and going darker/more adult with its core at heart.

Troy baker just referred to TloU as a franchise in the documentary too

Troy baker " I have done some video games in the past but to be handed the mantel of a franchise like this was a pretty big honour"

Yeah I am buzzed for information on that too. I have faith with the writters at ND though, it could be an Uncharted doing a Batman and going darker/more adult with its core at heart.

Troy baker just referred to TloU as a franchise in the documentary too

You know, I did hear that and I thought about it. To be honest I don't want another. I loved the first one, my favorite game of alltime but idk. I just don't need it too hinder any past experience.

I do not want Uncharted to get darker. I love how charismatic and charming it is.

Vizzeh

Banned
You know, I did hear that and I thought about it. To be honest I don't want another. I loved the first one, my favorite game of alltime but idk. I just don't need it too hinder any past experience.

I do not want Uncharted to get darker. I love how charismatic and charming it is.

Yeah perhaps they can keep that balance, TloU for the darker tones and Uncharted for the charming, adventures!

I personally am quite happy to sit back and let ND bring the content to me, their products are special. Likely 1 of my favorite and exciting moments in gaming is what they have created. I could never have imagined TloU being so good, therefore if there is a sequel, by that reasoning, im happy for them to surprise me again, they seem unlike other developers, esp with Neil Druckman, the desire to tell a good story that works, if it doesnt fit, they will consider other ideas :)

TLoU is a franchise, there's a game, DLC and a comic book.

Agreed. I thought the Neil Druckman quote above carried alot more weight. At the same time I would not disregard your description of franchising continuing further.

Didnt they hint that 2014 would be a big year.

Maybe they have something else coming that isnt Uncharted or The Last of Us 2. Much Last, Much Us. Wow.

Uncharted Collection with some kind of demo or beta for Uncharted 4 would make sense of U4 isnt a 2014 game.

Top Bottom