• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog “surprised no one has found the secrets we’ve dropped around the internet

Found something unrelated to this probably but quite interesting. This post says that there is a gaming event called Game Connection which is in San Francisco and the building it's being held in is none other than the "Sir Francis Drake Hotel"......hmmmm interesting may just be a coincidence......BUT then someone found out that naughty Dog will actually be there as an attendee. Hmmm......maybe not so much a coincidence anymore than it could actually be a "thing". Now, I know many of you think it's Doom or Batman, but when OPM or whatever the magazine is called, said a franchise was FINALLY coming to PS4 maybe it could be Uncharted. It would make sense with this event because the magazine is supposedley coming out on March 17th and the even goes from the 17th-19th of March. Could just be speculation but it could also be a piece in something more.

Links here:

http://still-stream-2287.herokuapp....-PS4-full-reveal-on-March-17-19/td-p/42735333

http://www.game-connection.com/gameconn/

http://ltm.game-connection.com/uplo...CEurope_2013/GC_Europe_2013_Attendee_list.pdf
Nice. Think that's it :)

beast786

ND already said they are not making a new ground up engine for ps4 as they have learned that lesson. They said its a modified ps3 uncharted engine for ps4. hence I don't expect a big upgrade beside resolution and animation

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ND already said they are not making a new ground up engine for ps4 as they have learned that lesson. They said its a modified ps3 uncharted engine for ps4. hence I don't expect a big upgrade beside resolution and animation
Shadow Fall was a souped up PS3 engine too.

please tell me you are kidding because this post is just pure ignorance.

I don't think you understand how graphics work

Ishida

Banned

notsureifserious.jpg

St Mary is a road in London, opposite it is Disraeli Rd, Cream's second album is Disraeli Gears, Gears of War is a cover based shooter...

Uncharted 4 will be a cover based shooter like Gears of War!

Nailed it.

This reminds me of why I stopped playing adventure games.

LastNac

Yeah, but Indiana Jones, (even with his impossibly well informed journal), doesn't just know the answers, you get to see him thinking it through. In fact, he is a perfect example.

Jones:

Drake:

Anyone who's seen the film, and played the game will know the inherent differences in required intelligence, and heightened repercussions of failure.

Of course they can't expect their audience to be able to spell the name of God in Aramaic or whatever it was, but they could set the bar massively higher than they have so far.

I really love the idea of having multiple puzzle difficulties, I think it'd add a lot to the series, assuming they're sold on including puzzles going forward.

Not sure I want the puzzles to punish you if failed, that would certainly kill the momentum and kill immersion if every time Drake walked on the wrong letter he died.

Many disagree with the notion, but I agree with Justin Richmond's belief that "Drake should save Elena on the first go." These things shouldn't be frustrating.

III-V

A very important question that no one seems to be discussing

If we new what the hints were then it wouldn't be a mystery. Its certainly not something no one is discussing... its the unknown: there by unknown, and impossible to discuss. Apparently, detectiveGAF missed something.

Sorry if I teed off a little on that response.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised at an Atlantis storyline, just given the nature of the lore.

If anybody missed the scull and crossbones text, its Latin (ancient) for happening in paradise.

This hints at the Caribbean (possible Atlantis)

Does someone know what this is:

6Efmeuc.png

The font totally falls out of place.

It from here:

I am unsure. At first glance, I thought it was Hebrew. If I had to guess, this is an early phonetically based script.

Possibly mirror writing as well.

So the more I look at this the less I think it is actual script. Possibly mirrored code writing is my best guess at this point.

EDITx5: Its a pigpen cipher. need to sleep soon

Editx6: still gibberish after pigpen translation. Must be additional work to (not) do (go to bed).

I don't think Uncharted is the type of game you play for weeks to discover all secrets. You play the Naughty Dog Games to enjoy some action and great graphics. These are blockbuster event games you enjoy for a weekend and forget it the next day.

Tabular

Banned
This is old news but there was a point in Grounded where they are in the ND office and monitors are seen in the background where the narrater mentions 'future project' or something. Was anything revealing on that screen?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't think Uncharted is the type of game you play for weeks to discover all secrets. You play the Naughty Dog Games to enjoy some action and great graphics. These are blockbuster event games you enjoy for a weekend and forget it the next day.
Except that the past four games they've put out have been incredibly memorable.

iosefe

Using this image of the Pigpen cipher:
Pigpen_cipher_key.svg

From original Screen
VEVEJPK VKN

From the cropped and rotated:
NQS QLRESES

on the chance it's mirrored, it could be:
KRLEVEV NKV
or
SQN SESEPJQ
respectively.

It's most likely the first set, because that other thing is probably a period.

The cipher is sometimes called the mason cipher/rosicrucian cipher i think the rosicrucian bit might be significant, considering what is written around the skull and crossbones.

Hexa

Using this image of the Pigpen cipher:
Pigpen_cipher_key.svg

From original Screen
VEVEJPK VKN

From the cropped and rotated:
NQS QLRESES

on the chance it's mirrored, it could be:
KRLEVEV NKV
or
SQN SESEPJQ
respectively.

It's most likely the first set, because that other thing is probably a period.

The cipher is sometimes called the mason cipher/rosicrucian cipher i think the rosicrucian bit might be significant, considering what is written around the skull and crossbones.

Awesome job!
I've been thinking for the last 10 minutes but I haven't been able to figure out what that's supposed to mean. Any luck?

moris

This might just be random but it gives

Memento Mori if you consider the ',' as an 'i' with this image

cipher.gif

Edit : it's apparently just old news since it's been deciphered long ago.

iosefe

This might just be random but it gives

Memento Mori if you consider the ',' as an 'i' with this image

cipher.gif

Edit : it's apparently just old news since it's been deciphered long ago.
Yours makes more sense than the one I picked out. I figured they might try a modified cipher. I see what you mean about the I. Maybe it was an unfinished character, since it likely is not a comma, and is too long for a period. You win

moris

Yours makes more sense than the one I picked out. I figured they might try a modified cipher. I see what you mean about the I. Maybe it was an unfinished character, since it likely is not a comma, and is too long for a period. You win

Yeah.. I just rewatched the teaser video and the screenshot was taken before the 'i' was done appearing on the map.

I-hate-u

Founded in 1989, Naughty Dog will celebrate their 25th anniversary in 2014. Understandably, this is a special time for the company. Naughty Dog rose to fame with the Crash Bandicoot franchise, which released on PlayStation.

My guess, is whatever date the 25th anniversary will be celebrated on. If anything, they'll just wait for E3.

I don't think they can repeat the success of The Last of Us viral marketing leading up to the reveal at the VGA's.

Abriael

Banned
Found something unrelated to this probably but quite interesting. This post says that there is a gaming event called Game Connection which is in San Francisco and the building it's being held in is none other than the "Sir Francis Drake Hotel"......hmmmm interesting may just be a coincidence......BUT then someone found out that naughty Dog will actually be there as an attendee. Hmmm......maybe not so much a coincidence anymore than it could actually be a "thing". Now, I know many of you think it's Doom or Batman, but when OPM or whatever the magazine is called, said a franchise was FINALLY coming to PS4 maybe it could be Uncharted. It would make sense with this event because the magazine is supposedley coming out on March 17th and the even goes from the 17th-19th of March. Could just be speculation but it could also be a piece in something more.

Links here:

http://still-stream-2287.herokuapp....-PS4-full-reveal-on-March-17-19/td-p/42735333

http://www.game-connection.com/gameconn/

http://ltm.game-connection.com/uplo...CEurope_2013/GC_Europe_2013_Attendee_list.pdf

Hate to be "that guy," but that's the 2013 attendee list. ND is not present in the 2014 one :(

http://still-stream-2287.herokuapp....Attendee__List/GCA_2014_Attendee_List.pdf.pdf

StuBurns

Banned
Not sure I want the puzzles to punish you if failed, that would certainly kill the momentum and kill immersion if every time Drake walked on the wrong letter he died.

Many disagree with the notion, but I agree with Justin Richmond's belief that "Drake should save Elena on the first go." These things shouldn't be frustrating.
I think Uncharted's puzzles are the definition of frustrating, they take no thought or skill, but they do take time.
oh, huh, that newspaper is clearly based on the guardian
The name is presumably taken from The Observer.

LastNac

I think Uncharted's puzzles are the definition of frustrating, they take no thought or skill, but they do take time.

The name is presumably taken from The Observer.
They're seamless, you get in there and get the job done. Nothing kills and the pace and you go through the process of finishing said puzzles. A level of portal depth to the puzzles would likely change the overall experience. I dont want to accidentally mess up a puzzle and see Drake die ten times over as I am trying to work the thing out.

StuBurns

Banned
They're seamless, you get in there and get the job done.
And they're terrible. Job is an apt term actually, it's like a monotonous job, it takes no skill, no intelligence, but practical application.
A level of portal depth to the puzzles would likely change the overall experience.
Yes, it would.
I dont want to accidentally mess up a puzzle and see Drake die ten times over as I am trying to work the thing out.
I didn't mean you should be in peril, I was pointing out why I don't see it as anything like Indiana Jones. I like puzzles to not punish experimentation, but I also like them to require it.

I should say, even though I think UC3 is a bad game, and TLoU is all time top five material, the puzzle design in TLoU is truly awful too, maybe even worse actually, because they pretend to have logical/practical requirements.

kick51

Banned
They're seamless, you get in there and get the job done. Nothing kills and the pace and you go through the process of finishing said puzzles. A level of portal depth to the puzzles would likely change the overall experience. I dont want to accidentally mess up a puzzle and see Drake die ten times over as I am trying to work the thing out.

instead you want to see it and solve it without thinking the first time, thus it's not a puzzle, it's just a time waster to give you the illusion that you're doing something other than shooting up dudes in the game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Nope, I can't think of a single ND game where the puzzles actually took any kind of effort, so the burn stays awesome. Don't get me wrong, I like UC1 and 2 and fucking LOVE TLOU, but not for their puzzles (although at least the puzzles in TLOU are there to add to the narrative, rather than just be puzzles). Besides, it's just a joke, so don't take it so seriously. That said, it's more of a "current-gen" gaming thing, rather than just an issue ND has.
I see that you omitted it from your list so maybe you didn't play it, but UC3 had good puzzles. As good as anything good from GoW series anyway, which is about as good as things get on that front in action/adventure games. The kind of puzzles in UC3 must have taken a lot of effort to program too, as opposed to non-puzzles in the two games prior.

Top Bottom