• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog highly doubts Lost Legacy is last Uncharted, interested in open worlds

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-21-naughty-dog-on-lost-legacy-and-the-future-of-uncharted

Eurogamer: Does this mean Uncharted can carry on further without Nathan Drake? Do you consider this the end of its characters' stories?

Escayg: I wouldn't say it's the end. This thieving world is huge. There's so many characters. Even before we settled on this particular story we were exploring Sullivan, we were exploring Cutter, and pairing each other up, thinking what would be right, what would have conflict, growth, something new, something fresh. And Chloe was the one that kept jumping out.

But to say the Uncharted world is done... I doubt that highly.

There are also several hundred people on Lost Legacy so TLOU 2 is going pretty slow:
Eurogamer: Lost Legacy looks up to the quality fans now expect from Naughty Dog - but you guys are also working on The Last of Us 2. How many people are working on Lost Legacy now? How much of the studio?

Escayg: Right now, the studio's focus is Lost Legacy. We have a truly ambitious schedule. The Last of Us [project] is working but at a lot slower pace right now. The entire team is on Lost Legacy - that's a couple hundred of us strong.

And finally, they're interested in making open worlds:
Eurogamer: Naughty Dog has so far resisted the urge to make a fully open world game, despite industry trends. Would you ever venture into that territory, or is it a case of you guys sticking to what you're good at?

Escayg: The future is uncertain there - we're always testing it. There's a segment in Lost Legacy similar to [Uncharted 4's] Madagascar where you can choose to explore and see different areas at different times, experience it differently. When we find a way to do things in an open world I think we'll definitely venture there at some point.

Stop it ND. Leave it alone please. Focus on new IPs and TLOU2. I'm seriously going to be disappointed as hell if the next ND game post TLOU2 is another Uncharted.

ActWan

I'll be glad if some C-team milks the franchise with like, 2 more games...I'll sure miss the epic Indiana Jones adventures.

Don't want them becoming a IP factory, like a 343 or Coalition. After The Last of Us 2 I hope there is a new IP in the works. I have liked Uncharted and will probably play Legacy but don't tire the franchise out.

ShyMel

The Uncharted games have all sold millions of copies each, so I can see why more games in the series will be made.

Shredderi

Just leave the franchise alone for good. Funnel all available talent and resources into new and frankly, more exciting things. Every small team dedicated to UC is longer dev time for something else, so abandon it completely please. It's had it's time under the sun and then some. I mean, how much faster would TLOU2 release if they didn't do this Legacy thing? Let it gooo. UC things can still be good but they won't be exciting. They're quaranteed quality in it's corner of story driven third person cover shooter, but it's no longer something that hypes me.

Quasar

Makes sense. I always wanted a full game starring Chloe. Guess I mostly have that now. The setting does seem plenty big enough for non Drake games. Even different game types.

It's LoU that I feel they should have left done.

Zutrax

At the very least give the franchise a break, I already feel like Lost Legacy is pushing it/milking it a bit too soon after 4.

I think a new game after a good amount of time has passed following
Nathan Drake's daughter
would be a really cool story to tell and breathe some fresh life in the franchise.

Platy

Still waiting

FB9bjEJ.jpg

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
IMO the best case scenario is that the team leads for this game spin-off their own sister-studio to ND and make another Uncharted. I want ND to make whatever game they want to make, but don't think the UC series should end.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I mean, obviously. Wasn't that what the whole point of that bit at the end of Uncharted 4 where Sam is all like
"COME ON SULLY, WE'VE GOT LOTS AND LOTS OF ADDITIONAL ADVENTURES TO GET TO IN NUMEROUS EXOTIC LOCALES THAT WON'T INVOLVE THE INVOLVEMENT OF MY BROTHER"?

Sony is only going to be done with this property when it becomes unprofitable for them. Until then, we're getting Uncharteds till the cows come home.

JohngPR

I love Uncharted but wouldn't mind if they work on some new things after this.

The only comforting thought is that Shawn Layden made it sound like he gives them a lot of freedom so I think that if they do make another, it's because they want to, and the quality will still be there.

Koozek

IMO, they shouldn't even be doing TLOU2. Such an unnecessary sequel. It's so rare that studios just let something end on a high note and let it be a self-enclosed thing. The original's ending was so powerful. I'm kinda disappointed at ND. How long will it take now to get a completely new IP from ND? 6 years?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Good.

People who have had enough Uncharted games can skip the games - no need for everyone else to suffer because you are over it. There are enough other stories and characters left to explore.

jediyoshi

People want Eddie, but nothing resembling UC1 Eddie is what we'd get in a post UC4 world.

Nathan can take his vacation. I'll take more C H L O E

No, please, don't do an open-world game. Open world was fairly novel back when Jak II, but now it's everywhere. Don't be another brick in the wall ND.

Bandit1

I'd still like to see another Uncharted every once in a while. Hopefully they do something new after The Last of Us part II though. But I wouldn't mind a Sam & Sully adventure, or a young Sully adventure.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's a bit weird that people are making such cynical claims about ND/Sony churning these games out. There was a fucking 5 year gap between 3 and 4.

That Assassins Creed comparison was particularly absurd.

Top Bottom