• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog is hiring for "studio's first standalone multiplayer game"

Bartski

Gold Member
Embark on Naughty Dog’s newest adventure – the studio’s first standalone multiplayer game! We’re seeking to bring the same level of ambition and quality of our signature, story-driven games to this unique multiplayer project. This is a rare opportunity to make an impact in your discipline and craft an experience that will be enjoyed and shared by millions of players around the world.

more:

It’s likely that the multiplayer title is The Last of Us 2’s delayed Factions multiplayer mode, which has possibly been expanded into a full standalone title.

The job ads also match with comments made by PlayStation Studios boss Herman Hulst this month, who hinted at a narrative-driven online experience coming from PlayStation. “Who says that multiplayer experience cannot have great stories, right?” He said.
The Last of Us Part 2 director and Naughty Dog vice president Neil Druckmann announced in September 2019 that The Last of Us Part 2 wouldn’t include a multiplayer component as originally planned because the studio “wanted to take all of the resources to make this the biggest game we’ve ever done”.

However, in a follow-up statement, Naughty Dog pledged to release a new Last of Us multiplayer offering after its work on the sequel was complete.
“You will eventually experience the fruits of our team’s online ambition, but not as part of The Last of Us Part II,” it said. “When and where it will be realized is still to be determined. But rest assured, we are as big a fan as Factions as the rest of our community and are excited to share more when it’s ready.”

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Factions was really fun but sadly a bit pay to win due to the obscene DLC weapons. Uncharted 4 was fun too but same again. If they cut back on the DLC guns they are capable of delivering a really fun style of online game (setting traps in Factions etc, really fun).

Last edited:

Business

Factions was really fun but sadly a bit pay to win due to the obscene DLC weapons. Uncharted 4 was fun too but same again. If they cut back on the DLC guns they are capable of delivering a really fun style of online game (setting traps in Factions etc, really fun).

I keep reading that every time Factions comes up. Anyone that spent a sizeable amount of time on that MP and/or played at a reasonably high level knows this is false, the top weapons were the semi-auto, the bow and the hunting rifle, and none of them was DLC.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I thought TLOU 2 Factions would be releasing Q4 2021 or Q1 2021. This may indicate that it could be a Q3 or Q4 2022 game perhaps.

I hope I'm wrong though, because Factions (Q4 2021), TLOU Remake (Q2/Q3 2022), New IP announcement (Q4 2022, releasing Q2 2024) seem like a much more exciting cadence.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I keep reading that every time Factions comes up. Anyone that spent a sizeable amount of time on that MP and/or played at a reasonably high level knows this is false, the top weapons were the semi-auto, the bow and the hunting rifle, and none of them was DLC.
I did spend a lot of time on it and everyone racked the super shot gun that killed from 70 yards. No I didn’t play the game at a high level, nor do 99% of people.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I thought TLOU 2 Factions would be releasing Q4 2021 or Q1 2021. This may indicate that it could be a Q3 or Q4 2022 game perhaps.

I hope I'm wrong though, because Factions (Q4 2021), TLOU Remake (Q2/Q3 2022), New IP announcement (Q4 2022, releasing Q2 2024) seem like a much more exciting cadence.
I wanted Factions to be a standalone game like Destiny. You go on raids and have explorable open world sections. Hubs. Weapon and abilities. A full on game instead of a tacked on mp experience.

This is good news.

Business

I did spend a lot of time on it and everyone racked the super shot gun that killed from 70 yards. No I didn’t play the game at a high level, nor do 99% of people.

Nonsense. You don't even remember the name of "that super shot gun that killed from 70 yards" and then you totally misrepresent or maybe misunderstand my comment about playing at a reasonably high level by stating that 99% of players don't play at a high level.

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
12b53505f12b700c6364937baf32d0ba.gif

HTK

Banned
MP Factions was overlooked by gamers, but I'm glad they are doing a standalone MP Faction now and expand on that universe because if done right it has a ton of potential. Let's hope they don't kill it with their dumb DLC decisions.

ksdixon

... Just now Hiring!?
Wtf have ND and Bend been doing for the last few years!? During the run up to TLOU2 and all the time since it's release?

Sucker Punch put them to shame releasing Ghosts Of Tushima single player and surprise drop multiplsyer after TLOU2 released.

FFS I was hoping for an E3 announcement of TLOU2 Factions and to be playing it by Christmas 2021.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nonsense. You don't even remember the name of "that super shot gun that killed from 70 yards" and then you totally misrepresent my comment about playing at a reasonably high level by stating that 99% of players don't play at a high level.
Yeah no shit I played Factions on PS3 and maybe for a year or 2 after Remastered came out :messenger_tears_of_joy: I’m clearly an imposter for not remembering the name of a gun from a game that I last played 5 or 6 years ago :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That’s not misrepresentative at all, you probably consider yourself a high level player but you’d get dick slapped by the actual ‘competitive’ players.

Anyway, I’ve got no reason to lie about playing Factions, or my experience with it, so feck off :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Papacheeks

Banned
Hmm... factions may be further away than we thought... hopefully not though.

This is not for factions.

If it is then wtf were all those leaks a while back showing it in a early alpha state?

I think this is non-related. I believe this is new multiplayer for new IP or new idea.

Business

Yeah no shit I played Factions on PS3 and maybe for a year or 2 after Remastered came out :messenger_tears_of_joy: I’m clearly an imposter for not remembering the name of a gun from a game that I last played 5 or 6 years ago :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That’s not misrepresentative at all, you probably consider yourself a high level player but you’d get dick slapped by the actual ‘competitive’ players.

Anyway, I’ve got no reason to lie about playing Factions, or my experience with it, so feck off :messenger_tears_of_joy:

LOL you should be ashamed of this post even if you were 13 years old.

Ellery

Sadly not my kind of game, but I am happy that people who love multiplayer games are finally getting some genuine quality games.

Might check it out, but not sure what to expect and multiplayer games are getting a bit stale after a bit.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
... Just now Hiring!?
Wtf have ND and Bend been doing for the last few years!? During the run up to TLOU2 and all the time since it's release?

Sucker Punch put them to shame releasing Ghosts Of Tushima single player and surprise drop multiplsyer after TLOU2 released.

FFS I was hoping for an E3 announcement of TLOU2 Factions and to be playing it by Christmas 2021.
They have been working on Factions this whole time. It's now going into full production. Sometimes you need to hire more people to keep up with production demands.

Read Jason's article on Days Gone. He mentions how only part of the studio was working on Factions since its mp only while the single player devs sat on their asses not doing anything so they started working on the remake more and more. But its clear that factions had its own team and now they need more men on board to do the final dev.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
BARF!!!! A long break is needed from anything LOU......why not do something different with the new PS5 hardware and bring back Jak and Daxter?

As long as it doesn't turn into Daxter becoming Daxtina half way through

ZywyPL

Banned
That's for Factions or new IP? Either way, I can't see ND making any successful MP title to be honest, they already tried multiple times with UC2/3/4 and TLoU and they seem not to be able to stand out in that field. But then again, MP is where pretty graphics, scripts, cut-scenes and QTEs won't save your game, this is where the controls have to be as tight and responsive as possible, and the core gameplay has to be fun and addictive as hell, and with the game director saying out loud they don't even use the word "fun" at the office, well, that's what you get, a dead games within a month or two. Not to mention stuff like broken matchmaking (UC2) or rewarding players for sucking at the game (UC3) and so on, really, ND simply doesn't have the expertise to make a decent, long lasting MP game.

VulcanRaven

Factions was fun but I'm not sure if I would buy a standalone multiplayer The Last of Us game. Maybe when its cheap.

Last edited:
well as long as its a secondary side project, i dont mind. i really hope sony dont start making more multiplayer games at the expense of their staple single player games.

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
At least they're playing to their strengths.

GymWolf

I take a standalone faction mp over tlou remastered every day of the week.

But not if this slow down the developing of tlou3\new ip.

Kenpachii

well as long as its a secondary side project, i dont mind. i really hope sony dont start making more multiplayer games at the expense of their staple single player games.

Big chance it will. unless sony sponsors it heavily. I just can't see to think that big budget single player games are much profitable anymore in this generation. I could be wrong tho.

That's for Factions or new IP? Either way, I can't see ND making any successful MP title to be honest, they already tried multiple times with UC2/3/4 and TLoU and they seem not to be able to stand out in that field. But then again, MP is where pretty graphics, scripts, cut-scenes and QTEs won't save your game, this is where the controls have to be as tight and responsive as possible, and the core gameplay has to be fun and addictive as hell, and with the game director saying out loud they don't even use the word "fun" at the office, well, that's what you get, a dead games within a month or two. Not to mention stuff like broken matchmaking (UC2) or rewarding players for sucking at the game (UC3) and so on, really, ND simply doesn't have the expertise to make a decent, long lasting MP game.
That pretty much mirrors my opinion. A part of me wonders if ND didn't look at the sales of UC and TLOU, and correlate that with their multiplayer offerings. ND about to realize that making a multiplayer that can stand on it's own is a whole different ballgame.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
... Just now Hiring!?

Factions is almost certainly going GAAS, which means they'll be hiring people to work on it for a while.

Epic Games has hired people for Fortnite in the last year. I wouldn't read to much into this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is either Factions, which they are branching off as its own thing, or some F2P shooter trying to ride the wave of Fortnite.

kyliethicc

Its definitely a 2022 game at the soonest now.

Who knows when we get the remake / collection. If ever.

And I don't know if they're gonna do a new IP. The studio head Evan Wells said they don't have multiple games in full development at once. Only 1 game at a time. I doubt they'd announce anything other than TLOU stuff for many years.

yurinka

Its definitely a 2022 game at the soonest now.

Who knows when we get the remake / collection. If ever.

And I don't know if they're gonna do a new IP. The studio head Evan Wells said they don't have multiple games in full development at once. Only 1 game at a time. I doubt they'd announce anything other than TLOU stuff for many years.

Many multiplayer games are GaaS, which means they keep releasing post launch content for a adding new content, features, fixes and tweaks. They may release this game this fiscal year and keep releasing stuff for it during at least a couple of years.

We know they have been working in multiple games during the recent years, and that the remake was mostly done in San Diego, and that their pitch was to release it in a bundle with TLOU2 PS5. So they could also release TLOU2+TLOU1R PS5 (and who knows if PC too) this year too, maybe next to factions.

We also know they are porting Uncharted 4 to PC.

On top of that we also know that while working on DG1 PC and the preproduction trying to get greenlighted Days Gone 2 and their new IP (the later was the one greenlighted), Bend did help ND with the TLOU Factions game and an Uncharted spinoff. When started to work on the new IP seems Bend left the Uncharted game.

We don't know if the new Uncharted spinoff was canned or if ND still works on it. We also know Druckmann wrote a first early draft of the TLOU3 main story but aren't developing it, he did it just in case they want to develop it in the future.

He meant a full big production team working on a game. They had only one, now working on the factions game. But obviously they also have multiple small teams working on different projects because they won't have hundreds of people doing nothing during years.

Some people working on preproduction, concept art and prototypes for possible future projects (TLOU3, next Uncharted, new IPs...). Some other people working on porting stuff (Uncharted 4 PC, TLOU2+TLOU1R PS5 and maybe PC, who knows if Nathan Collection for PS5+PC).

They also have been growing and will grow a lot this year, if they don't have a 2nd big production team they will have soon.

I take a standalone faction mp over tlou remastered every day of the week.

But not if this slow down the developing of tlou3\new ip.
The factions game comes from the TLOU2 MP that ended being too ambitious and turned into a separate game, something similar to Lost Legacy, that went from a DLC to a standalone game.

The TLOUR has been mostly developed by the new San Diego studio, not ND. In the recent years Bend worked with ND in a Uncharted spinoff and Bend left the project, we don't know if they canned the game or if ND continues working on it. We know they ND did a first draft of the TLOU3 main story just in case they develop it in the future.

They are also porting Uncharted 4 to PC and seems that doing a TLOU2 PS5 version or patch. So maybe in less than a year they may have released:
-TLOU2 Factions
-TLOU1R+TLOU2 PS5 (+ PC port?)
-Uncharted 4 PC

And then to focus on the Uncharted spinoff if isn't dead, the new IP or TLOU3 plus maybe Uncharted Nathan Collection PC port (+PS5 version?) and to keep a small team for Factions post launch content.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Didn't Jason Shreier say Factions II was in it's polishing stage right now and he expects it to release shortly?

I could be making that up but I think he said that.

Vick

post-38538-Friday-Ice-Cube-damn-gif-wtf-f-rjyQ.gif

What the ever loving fuck are you talking about? U2 and U3 multiplayer components were extremely successful and loved by fans for both competitive and co-op, same for Factions. You can find a match in U4 multiplayer in seconds.. after 5 whole years ffs.

"this is where the controls have to be as tight and responsive as possible, and the core gameplay has to be fun and addictive as hell"

And this is literally the best description i've ever heard of Uncharted 4 controls.

This may be the most clueless take i've ever seen.. and i heard you saying Heavenly Sword was a better action game than GoWIII, so that's quite the feat.

Still, i couldn't care any less about this game.

So $70 plus microtransactions is what you want
I want whatever price, plus nothing else. If it's pay to win or if a game keepsasking for a little more money for the "good stuff", I stay away - free or not. It's just F2P games are basically guaranteed to do this.

Top Bottom