• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: PS4 has 5 GB RAM/6 CPU cores available to devs, talks using them

harSon

Banned
I thought a bunch of insiders said developers would have access to 6GB? I guess Sony doesn't want to be caught with their pants down in regards to the system OS like they were last generation. If The Order is anything to go by, whatever they have access to at this point is more than sufficient. Can't wait to see what Naughty Dog brings to the table because they're easily some of the best in the game at graphics.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
What's the difference between a fiber and a thread? Did they just make that term up or is it meaningful?

It's a metaphor for job-based architectures for parallel computing. A job (or "fiber") is a small piece of computation that can be scheduled and processed (relatively) independently, and reports it's result asynchronously after it's completion. This model is relatively robust and simplifies the saturation of the underlying processing infrastructure. The main challenge is to split your computation into small, preferably isolated tasks. I qualify "independently" and "isolated" since they still use shared memory between tasks for performance reasons.

3 gig for OS seems excessive. Sony need to optimize.

I'm pretty sure they're just being conservative with how much RAM they give to devs. They didn't set aside extra ram for the OS on the PS3 and it made it a nightmare for them to add features.

This time around they take an excessive amount of RAM for the OS with the idea being that they can always give devs more RAM later, but they can't take RAM away.

Very interesting.

I'm actually at a loss as to what developers can do to make games look much better than they currently do. I'm playing AC4 on PS4 just now and the image quality combined with the character models and environment detail is astounding, it made me think how much better could an Uncharted game look for instance ? (as they are both set in similar settings at times).

I'm sure ND will prove me wrong :).

What's with all the RAM being used for OS stuff?

After the PS3 and 360, I think both Sony and Microsoft wanted to have "too much RAM" to do all the things they needed to do before optimising. The PS3, for example, got down to sub-50MB for the OS but the system struggles. Even bringing up the XMB in game is slow and clunky.

Now, both Sony and MS have huge RAM pools that they will never use entirely, that they can ensure they have enough overhead for future requirements without negative impact and also RAM to give back nearer the end of the platform's life.

Less RAM than I had thought. I expected it was 6GB. Hopefully that opens up more.

I do like hearing ND talk about 1080p/60. Here's hoping they go back to 60fps like they did in the PS2 days.
They really shouldn't. I'm pretty sure most casual people expect ND to blow them away visually. Going for 60 FPS will make it pretty damn hard to get past The Order.

ascii42

How do you think that will happen while keeping the same features of the OS? while adding more over time?

Most likely there's a huge amount that currently isn't used at all. Sony just wanted to have a buffer so they don't have another situation like where they couldn't add cross-game chat on the PS3. Whenever Sony is confident they won't need the extra space, they'll give some to devs without affecting current functionality.

vpance

I think it was said more than 5GB is available to games by insiders. But even if it is 5GB, considering that the memory bandwidth is 176GB/s, that translates to around a maximum of 5.5GB accessible per frame in a 30 FPS game. And that's never going to happen.

And games aren't designed to constantly swap out or read the entire set of RAM all the time anyways. You'd be streaming in data in chunks and only be accessing a portion of it at any given time to render a scene. There would never realistically be a moment where you'd be wondering, gee, I wonder how much better this building my character is in would look if they had 6GB available rather than 5GB! Not how it works.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
How do you think that will happen while keeping the same features of the OS? while adding more over time?

Optimisation, and the fact that they are very unlikely to be using it all currently. Same way they added features to the PS3 while cutting their usage by nearly half over the first few years, they also have given themselves much more room to begin with and they don't need to cut it down to try and keep parity with other consoles like they did with the PS3.

Iolo

It's a metaphor for job-based architectures for parallel computing. A job (or "fiber") is a small piece of computation that can be scheduled and processed (relatively) independently, and reports it's result asynchronously after it's completion.

Thanks. I'd just never heard "fiber" to describe that, strange.

Ricky_R

Yeah I noticed how they indirectly confirmed that. But hey at least there's still 500 mb of virtual RAM they can use from the HDD!

Then at least it wouldn't be using almost half of that for non-gaming stuff :S

But it would still be under 5GB's of ram. Probably even under 3.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/23/70mb-of-additional-ram-unlocked-for-ps3-developers/
It's rare for a console to get a spec upgrade in the middle of its life. However, Sony has stealthily upgraded the PS3 over the past few months to unlock additional usable RAM for developers. Much like the PSP received a boost in clock speed, the latest firmware updates provide developers an additional 70MB of RAM to work with. The change was initially discovered by PlayStation University, noting the reduction in the system OS's memory footprint, from 120MB to 50MB. As the OS continues to slim down, developers are allowed access to even more usable system memory.
Who knows how much it will reduce on ps4. Could be 500mb-2.5gb nobody knows for sure.

jayu26

3 Gigs reserve! What the fuck are they using it for? That seems excessive for just future proofing.

They are smarter than us, so the answer to this question could be very intriguing.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think it was said more than 5GB is available to games by insiders. But even if it is 5GB, considering that the memory bandwidth is 176GB/s, that translates to around a maximum of 5.5GB accessible per frame in a 30 FPS game. And that's never going to happen.
It is, I think 5.5. The last 0.5 being some memory that you have to allocate in a different way IIRC, so I can see that he'd just round it down when talking casually about it)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Thanks. I'd just never heard "fiber" to describe that, strange.

Like many other terms, this one has no single, official definition. Other people refer to other things as "fibers" in the context of parallel computing, but from the context of the talk and slides, they are definitely describing a job-based, asynchronous architecture.

Andrefpvs

The world would be a better place with more functional programming in it.

Oh, absolutely. It's great for conditional algorithms (AI, behavioural patterns, etc.), abstract input-output functions, stuff where state is redundant, etc.

I gained a new appreciation for Lisp-based languages after this talk.

vcc

six jaguar cores and only 5GBs of RAM available to devs?

ouch. explains a few things.

They figured no one was going to use the whole pool right away and reserved more out of paranoia. A lot of the painfully slow PS3 OS problems stem from a very very conservative OS reservation to start with which limited what features they could add so they went paranoid with the PS4. Just as the XB1 will let go of GPU and RAM reservations as they get a handle on what they need and optimize the OS so will the PS4.

TheD

The Detective
NDPS4_8-571x425.jpg

190 cycles, that's nasty.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Was the intial XMB OS bloated?

It was to begin with for what it was doing, It used around 120mb iirc when the PS3 launched which they got down to 48mb currently while adding a few bits and bobs along the way. The 360's OS for instance had a max of 32mb to start with and still uses 32mb now, MS were far more efficient with their software from the get go and over time optimisation allowed them to also add features.

Ty4on

I'm pretty sure they're just being conservative with how much RAM they give to devs. They didn't set aside extra ram for the OS on the PS3 and it made it a nightmare for them to add features.

This time around they take an excessive amount of RAM for the OS with the idea being that they can always give devs more RAM later, but they can't take RAM away.

Wasn't PS3 much more bloated than the 360 in the start? I seem to remember something like 90MB that they eventually reduced.
Edit: What CorrisD said.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

Melchiah

With all that fast ram maybe this gen Naughty Dog games wont take over a minute to load a save.

Loading a checkpoint after failure was almost instant though, unlike say Half-Life 2 and Mass Effect trilogy, which took up to 20-30 seconds to load the last checkpoint.

Melchiah

It was to begin with for what it was doing, It used around 120mb iirc when the PS3 launched which they got down to 48mb currently while adding a few bits and bobs along the way. The 360's OS for instance had a max of 32mb to start with and still uses 32mb now, MS were far more efficient with their software from the get go and over time optimisation allowed them to also add features.

I imagine that's one of the reasons the early PS3 ports paled in comparison to the 360 versions.

furious

Banned
So many operating system architects in this thread, it is amazing! Must be another case of lazy devs.
/s

How can people comment saying how excessive 3GB reserved is. I'd love to hear what they would change to lower it.

SMH.

If the PS4 still reserves 2 cores for the OS, then Matt's statement that you can get more out of the PS4's CPU than of the XBO's might imply that the CPU clocks higher than 1.6Ghz. Or the XBO suffers from virtualization overhead on every core, but that's AFAIK unlikely in multi-core systems.

This was my takeaway and I thought it odd that if true, Sony didn't announce it

potam

Banned
Gregory also explains that the GPU is “more powerful than it’s necessary to render graphics at 1080p at 60 hz

I'm going to be so annoyed if Uncharted isn't 1080/60. Not that I really care about that too much, but I'm just tired of people making statements like that. Extremely vague and ultimately meaningless.

Top Bottom