• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog receives 120 PS4 dev kits

Gestault

That seems like a large number, but I don't actually know if for the size of the team that's normal or not. Anyone have any insight?

Robbler

Banned
That seems like a large number, but I don't actually know if for the size of the team that's normal or not. Anyone have any insight?

I think ND still has two teams. The Uncharted 2 team that did Last of Us, and then the Uncharted 3 one that is working on...?

Liha

Banned
Robber.jpg

Rashid

Banned
They really do have the clout don't they? To get that many dev kits. Never played a naughty dog game though.

Do they? I thought Naughty Dog had simply signed a contract to work exclusively with Sony and Sony were getting worried that Microsoft would try and buy them for an exclusive XBONE game.

My bad.

Nope...Naughty Dog is a part of Sony, just like Sucker Punch, SCE Santa Monica, SCE Japan Studio, SCEA, SCEJ/A, SCEE...you get the picture.

They can't do anything without Sony's permission.

Do they? I thought Naughty Dog had simply signed a contract to work exclusively with Sony and Sony were getting worried that Microsoft would try and buy them for an exclusive XBONE game.

My bad.

No, they bought Naughty Dog shortly before the release of the original Jak and Daxter (2001).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I don't think there's anything abnormal here - anyone who needs to work with incomplete, unsigned code would have to have access to a devkit, so that would include QA/Testing staff, for example.

I doubt Square-Enix would let them do that.

Meh, forgot that SE has the IP. Well, Amy Henning was a big part of those games and shes part of ND (at least I think so), so maybe she has some weight to throw around. Its just a dream anyway, I know it will never happen, just like a FF7 remake.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Sony really want Naughty Dog to remain exclusive.

Ignoring that Sony own them and that one of the companies core technology teams is there, I'm not really sure why the dev kits have anything to do with that. Naughty Dog is one of their biggest team that pump out some of Sonys biggest and well known games, why wouldn't they be giving them a ton of dev kits seeing as they at this point should be full on into PS4 development.

balohna

What is the purpose of having so many? So individual employees have access to the hardware?

That's typically the case. Maybe not every producer or artist or designer, but DEFINITELY every engineer/programmer should have AT LEAST one.

Top Bottom