• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog reveals The Last of Us alternate ending image

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Hated the ending.

would've been better if Ellie offed Joel after he bullshitted her in the end then walked back to Utah by herself

omonimo

Banned
Wow. Indeed this final would have been just perfect. So cruel & intense, why they have abandoned it? Stupid happy ending.

Rational

Banned
It's all Keighley's fault!

2013-08-0615_27_03-tw7jr4m.png
What is this referring to? Did Keighley spoil TLOU somewhere?

Certinty

Haven't even started the game yet but actually thought that might have been the ending.

I don't know but I expect a happy ending now but I'll find out in a few days or something I guess.

sense

Haven't even started the game yet but actually thought that might have been the ending.

I don't know but I expect a happy ending now but I'll find out in a few days or something I guess.

why did you even click this title and spoiling it for yourself!!

That picture is not an alternate ending I think. The original pitch for tess is
her as villain that chase after you throughout the journey. I assume this is pic during that time of story pitch. In the end, Tess is changed into ally, and David is sorta become the villain who chase you after fall.

Hey Callibretto, how about spoiler tags?

I think you're right about Tess, she might've been a villain initially. My theory makes a lot of sense though.

Ratrat

That picture is not an alternate ending I think. The original pitch for tess is her as villain that chase after you throughout the journey. I assume this is pic during that time of story pitch. In the end, Tess is changed into ally, and David is sorta become the villain who chase you after fall.
Well I suppose that makes sense.

Spoiler tags in a thread about a games ending? How dumb are some people.

Ourobolus

Banned
Tess was originally supposed to be the villain, so this kinda makes sense. Although I don't really know how Tess would have been a villain (i.e. her motive).

Glad we got what we did though.

Vashetti

Banned
Hey Callibretto, how about spoiler tags?

I think you're right about Tess, she might've been a villain initially. My theory makes a lot of sense though.

Don't come into a TLOU alternate-ending thread and ask for spoiler tags.

It's your own fault.

Do we have to mark spoilers in here?

Tess got infected in summer, she wouldn't be looking like that in spring. She'd be a stalker or a clicker.
So I don't really get it.

Pretty sure that image is on the disc as concept art, so they only revealed a little bit of the context surrounding it, not the image itself.

Nymphae

Banned
Without any context, the image is just confusing. I liked the original ending, but whatever this is might have been cool too.

seems like this 'alternate ending' was for an earlier draft... because this would be japanese games level of nonsense lol.

Or they can starcraft it and her mutation turned her into the infected queen or something lol.

What kind of social deficiency makes people think it's OK to spoil the ending of one game in a thread about another game's ending?

While you're right I probably should have hit that in spoilers and will go back to do so, but I would have thought anyone complaining about RDR spoilers at this stage of its life cycle would be fairly petty :-/

Do we have to mark spoilers in here?

Tess got infected in summer, she wouldn't be looking like that in spring. She'd be a stalker or a clicker.
So I don't really get it.
Alternate, so I'm guessing different events the whole game. Like an alternate universe I guess, I'm still indifferent to the ending.

Ataraxia

If you know anything about the characters in the game then that picture makes absolutely no sense. So what,
Joel didn't do what he was supposed to when he chose to save Ellie instead of an undeserving civilization
. That justifies her going all Reservoir Dogs on him? Tess is a smart, rational character who does what she needs to survive; she's not batshit crazy. We definitely need more context here.

Oh wow. But wait...

Even if in this "alternate ending"
Tess is somehow alive and don't like Joel's decision at the end, her action pictured there is just too cruel. I mean, if she REALLY wants to kill Joel, a quick death with a gun is more appropriate for "friend", right?

This image make her looks like those damn hunters.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
If you know anything about the characters in the game then that picture makes absolutely no sense. So what,
Joel didn't do what he was supposed to when he chose to save Ellie instead of an undeserving civilization
. That justifies her going all Reservoir Dogs on him? Tess is rational; not batshit crazy. We definitely need more context here.

Tess has a better understanding of herself than Joel does. At least she's deliberate.

Joel wants to pretend he's a good guy living in bad times.

I think he's saying come to the panel to hear the original draft of the games story which included Tess as a villain and a different ending. Not that this image specifically was that ending.

Alienous

"Joel
you fucked over humanity and cost us our weapons
".

Actually, it's kind of cool, in the context of the game.
Full-circle, Joel becomes the traitor, and maybe you play as Tess while you hunt him down

What is this referring to? Did Keighley spoil TLOU somewhere?

He insisted in pre-release interviews that
Joel would be killed, but he said by Ellie, after being infected

Yeah, this image is in the artbook (which is amazing, btw). Apparently Tess was supposed to be the original main antagonist of the game.

Ataraxia

Tess has a better understanding of herself than Joel does. At least she's deliberate.

Joel wants to pretend he's a good guy living in bad times.

I don't think Joel ever pretended even for a second to being a good guy. Tess was no angel either and proves how ruthless she can be early in the game. I just don't see how we go from them having a strong relationship to Joel being tied up in a chair with his hair being pulled back.

Yeah, this image is in the artbook (which is amazing, btw). Apparently Tess was supposed to be the original main antagonist of the game.

Yeah, I have the book and actually forgot about that. She was probably the leader of the fireflies before they made her an ally and created Marlene.

Blows my mind that so many people don't like the ending. Insane.

That pic was in the concept art on the disc already
I think the alternative ending is unrelated to that piece of artwork

Top Bottom