• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Says The Last of Us Part II Is About 50% Bigger Than the Original Game

thelastword

Banned
the-last-of-us-part-2-horse-city-2060x1159.jpg

"The game I think we’re saying is about 50% bigger, but it is massive, not just in length, but in like, all of our levels are bigger and wider, we have more cinematics, we have more characters, we have more animations. We have larger melee systems, in every way, this game is bigger and better."

According to How Long to Beat, the average playthrough length of The Last of Us is about 15 hours and a half. If the 50% bigger statement is correct, then this sequel could clock in at over 23 hours of gameplay.

Gross also said during her playthroughs of The Last of Us Part II, it is possible to ‘discover something new’ and ‘get new reactions’ from both enemies and Ellie when replaying certain segments.

"I’m really proud of it. I think there’s so many incredibly talented people at Naughty Dog. And every time I play, I discover something new. All of our setups are so big, so complicated, you can do so many different things, each setup like as I’m sure you guys saw in the suburbs, like, you can come at the same setup, and play it so many different ways and get new reactions from your enemies, get new reactions from Ellie, I find it a great way to spend a workday."

"So because it’s turned out to be such a big and complex game, we decided to focus entirely on single player, so there will be no multiplayer for the last month or two, unfortunately, but we still very much care deeply about our multiplayer team. They’re incredible. And they’re smart. And they’re really talented. They’ve got big ideas."

https://wccftech.com/naughty-dog-says-the-last-of-us-part-ii-is-about-50-bigger-than-the-original/

thelastword

Banned
MP included?
"So because it’s turned out to be such a big and complex game, we decided to focus entirely on single player, so there will be no multiplayer for the last month or two, unfortunately, but we still very much care deeply about our multiplayer team. They’re incredible. And they’re smart. And they’re really talented. They’ve got big ideas."

Last edited by a moderator:

ethomaz

Banned

So it is smaller than the first game.

I actually loved how wide the levels were, I like exploring but too much just overloads me and makes me feel like I'm missing content.

Super stoked about a longer game with more in depth systems though!

ethomaz

Banned
This is talking about SP. Did the MP make LOU 1's SP 50% bigger with more content, larger world, more characters, more animations, more depth and variety to the SP?
I don't... tell me how many hours MP added to TLOU?

Yet he knows MP is coming...…….Just that the team is taking their time to make something bigger and better there...I personally I'm a SP man, making the SP of LOU 2 bigger and better with much better animations, ATD, characters to play as, is extremely good news to me......
MP is not part of The Last of Us Part 2 anymore... it won't come anytime.

The team is using the ideias do create a new game.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Do I go in Fortnight treads to beg for a fleshed out SP mission?
When you talk about 50% bigger you sure should include MP that was part of the first game.

Said that I have no ideia why should you ask about SP in a Fortnite thread lol the game was never planned to have one.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I don't... tell me how many hours MP added to TLOU?

MP is not part of The Last of Us Part 2 anymore... it won't come anytime.

The team is using the ideias do create a new game.
However they do it is irrelevant, this is about SP. The MP however they decide to release it will come later....

ethomaz

Banned
However they do it is irrelevant, this is about SP. The MP however they decide to release it will come later....
MP won't come to the game later unless they change their mind again (not surprised).

The first game had MP so it should count that makes the claim in OP biased and false but that is the new ND to ya.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I got the feeling this was the case from looking at prerelease footage. The scale just feels kind of grand.

It’s really nice to see a sequel on a different generation of technology, get bigger and contain more features (before someone stops me, yes multiplayer, but otherwise), because so often, it seems we lose stuff in those transitions.

thelastword

Banned
MP won't come to the game later unless they change their mind again (not surprised).

The first game had MP so it should count that makes the claim in OP biased and false but that is the new ND to ya.
Again, the OP is about SP...….50% bigger refers to SP. You brought MP into this, thinking you know everything about MP and what ND said about it...….I'm sure we will know more about MP when they announce and detail it officially.......All they said is that there will be no MP for now or at launch, which means whatever they're talking about is what they're delivering to us at launch next year, which is Single Player.....

ethomaz

Banned
Again, the OP is about SP...….50% bigger refers to SP. You brought MP into this, thinking you know everything about MP and what ND said about it...….I'm sure we will know more about MP when they announce and detail it officially.......All they said is that there will be no MP for now or at launch, which means whatever they're talking about is what they're delivering to us at launch next year, which is Single Player.....
They said there is no MP for TLOU2 anymore... launch or late.

The OP didn't say SP in any place so how much MP counts for the first game?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You never said the Mp was axed even though in this same thread you said it's not coming later? Get your mind right.
No, you are lying that they said it is coming later... what I said is true... ND axed MP from TLOU2.

No they said the scope for the MP expanded so it will be it's own released
So I continue being right.
They said there is no MP for TLOU2 anymore.
How many times ND needs to repeat MP is not part of The Last of Us Part 2 anymore?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
MVP post right here. Uncharted 4 was also longer than the previous ones but that didn't work out as nicely as content was further spaced out and all you did was walk and that fucking stupid climbing thing.
U4 was awesome ;)
It was better than previous games.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
They said there is no MP for TLOU2 anymore... launch or late.

The OP didn't say SP in any place so how much MP counts for the first game?
TLOU2 is an SP game, that's what it will be at launch? What else is the OP referring to than what the game is......TLOU 2 is not TLOU1.....

And if this is so hard for you to understand, the 15 hours that it takes to beat TLOU1 only refers to the SP...... So they imagine the SP in LOU 2 will take approximately 23 hours. since it's that much bigger. The only mention of MP in the OP is to further bolster why they only delivering an SP game for LOU 2's February 21st launch.....

If you want to discuss MP and what happened to it and when it will come, I'm sure there is a thread for it, but this is not it...…This is SP country only...

Cheers....

Darius87

MVP post right here. Uncharted 4 was also longer than the previous ones but that didn't work out as nicely as content was further spaced out and all you did was walk and that fucking stupid climbing thing.
really troll? what about solving puzzles, driving, shooting, searching treasures, jumping, melee fighting...

BigLee74

TLW... Ethomaz is being sarcastic, and having a dig at ND for dropping MP from the game at the 11th hour. He understands fully the SP is bigger, but the game as a whole is less as a result. No need to keep repeating SP is 50% bigger to him, and that there are more animations...he gets it.

really troll? what about solving puzzles, driving, shooting, searching treasures, jumping, melee fighting...

Puzzles are braindead and solve themselves.
You drive very little, but that was indeed fun.
Shooting felt good, wish they had less walking bits in between.
Searching treasure was done via walking or the auto-climbing thing.
Jumping was only fun in combat and even then, the combat wasn't balanced enough to take advantage of that.
Melee fighting was fucking broken LMAO and I'm the troll.

Darius87

Puzzles are braindead and solve themselves.
You drive very little, but that was indeed fun.
Shooting felt good, wish they had less walking bits in between.
Searching treasure was done via walking or the auto-climbing thing.
Jumping was only fun in combat and even then, the combat wasn't balanced enough to take advantage of that.
Melee fighting was fucking broken LMAO and I'm the troll.
but to you it's only walking and climbing.

but to you it's only walking and climbing.

I think I expressed myself poorly. Here, here's what I said:

content was further spaced out and all you did was walk and that fucking stupid climbing thing.

My point was that you did a FUCKING LOT of walking and climbing as a way to space out the content. I didn't mean that walking and climbing replaced the content, just that it was used to space it out and make a longer game. There's a lot of 'in between' moments and those are walking, talking, climbing, snoozing...

Darius87

I think I expressed myself poorly.
that's trolling

My point was that you did a FUCKING LOT of walking and climbing as a way to space out the content. I didn't mean that walking and climbing replaced the content, just that it was used to space it out and make a longer game. There's a lot of 'in between' moments and those are walking, talking, climbing, snoozing...
character you control are human which have legs and arms to walk and climb if you don't like walk and climb get a wheelchair.

that's trolling

You understood what I said different than I intended therefore I'm trolling?

character you control are human which have legs and arms to walk and climb if you don't like walk and climb get a wheelchair.

Couldn't they go by skate? I'm okay with whatever plot ND wants to throw at me, but why can I do it while I play Tony Hawk's Fungus Apocalypse? I can feel AND jam.

Darius87

no dude, that's not fugging trolling

he said he expressed himself poorly and attempted to clarify
when trolls run out of arguments they may cover themselfs this way, the point is he's clearly a troll against sony, just read his comment history.

Last edited:
Top Bottom