• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog teases profound accomplishment in Last of Us 2

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
We're gonna be able to see the saliva exchange between Elle and her girlfriend?

manfestival

so last of us 2 is going to have an entire chapter of xbox 360 vs ps3 and then one person interjects during the bar scene saying that the wii was also a part of the same generation with both characters telling that third person to shut up? If so, count me in Sony

This feels like a needless drive by that has nothing to do with the OP and could hardly do more than make the thread a needlessly hostile trap for anyone remotely interested in the game
pretentious people at ND. do they even have gameplay designers? or just hollywood rejects and animators making games? because thats all I see of them on twitter.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
pretentious people at ND. do they even have gameplay designers? or just hollywood rejects and animators making games? because thats all I see of them on twitter.

ND threads are generally bound to receive a fair amount of negativity as they are successful, great at what they do, and like in any mature medium are not just there for
mindless entertainment (right now in similar threads with different people involved posters would be optimistic and specilating ahead from any limited info available... imagine a Spencer thread or when Scorpio was announced with a video... while I have seen a rapid amount of drive by jokes at best...), but I think you are being overly negative.
As if they were the only ones posting such “excited headlines” in Twitter... but being ND this seems to mean that no matter the news this becomes an identity politics / social issues conflicts battleground using random personal tweets as fuel.

Not a fan of meaningless teasing like this but they will probably again push boundaries in presentation of human emotion and/or making movement even more natural.

juliotendo

Probably some politically correct statement or scene regarding the game is what the tweet is referring to — while ND makes great interactive experiences, they aren’t shy about their politics.

Ka-Kui

ND threads are generally bound to receive a fair amount of negativity as they are successful, great at what they do, and like in any mature medium are not just there for
mindless entertainment (right now in similar threads with different people involved posters would be optimistic and specilating ahead from any limited info available... imagine a Spencer thread or when Scorpio was announced with a video... while I have seen a rapid amount of drive by jokes at best...), but I think you are being overly negative.
As if they were the only ones posting such “excited headlines” in Twitter... but being ND this seems to mean that no matter the news this becomes an identity politics / social issues conflicts battleground using random personal tweets as fuel.
I love ND, they're great at what they do and I enjoy their games. I disagree with those who think ND can't create gameplay or that their games don't contain enough of it. Their gameplay is awesome, full stop. Put together with a great narrative I love the experiences they create.

However these reactions they've mostly brought on themselves due to clear political agenda their pushing these days.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

My issue with ND and the games they have made recently have been mostly due to the press and twitter of its devs. It is like with any media, you keep hearing how "fantastic" it is. How it is "one of the greatest story telling game/film/book, ever made". The creators say it "brought them to tears" and how "nothing has ever made them feel that way". When you finally get to it, you enjoy it to a point - but you can see the flaws. But then you keep hearing it, year after year. How it "changed gaming", usually by the same handful of people time and again.

It just gets *really* old, in my opinion. I think ND would do far better if they do the Rockstar approach. Announce the game is being made and then STFU until a month or two before release, showcase the gameplay, the story, and let people enjoy it. Stop trying to metaphorically suck your own dick about how "progressive/fantastic/amazing/etc" your game is. I can understand if this was an indie studio, they need as much shilling as they can to get to as many people as they can. ND is a AAA development studio. They don't need to do that.

As for the tweet in general - I hope it is some fantastic animations that haven't been done in gaming before, or some amazing cinematography or next generation AI/Sound Design. However, given how often I see this from ND devs, I just can't find myself to get hyped over something that is more than likely going to be nothing but hot air.

I really hope I am wrong.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
take the time that they need, we gonna get resident evil 2, i dont see the point of the rush of launch the game too fast.

rəddəM

Hard to guess. They already do the best facial anim. There's some interesting body/muscles now too.
Perhaps gore related? I loved the RE2R's zombies destruction, take note ND.
OMG that's probably the MOCAP DOG.
Please ND don't make the DOG a character and suffer.

HeresJohnny

Probably some politically correct statement or scene regarding the game is what the tweet is referring to — while ND makes great interactive experiences, they aren’t shy about their politics.
I generally frown on developers talking too much while they should be in crunch mode. Besides believing it to be bad karma, I think it’s pretty tasteless. Imagine if the chef at a $200 a plate table kept talking shit instead of making sure you got the best dinner you ever had. This is one of the reasons I stopped being a huge Kojima supporter; I came to believe the guy would rather hear himself talk than make games (luckily he stopped somewhat with MGSV and now Death Stranding). Basically I’m in the “show me, don’t tell me how great you are” camp. There’s a reason why one involves results and the other is just plain old shit talking. Shut up and make your game.

juliotendo

I generally frown on developers talking too much while they should be in crunch mode. Besides believing it to be bad karma, I think it’s pretty tasteless. Imagine if the chef at a $200 a plate table kept talking shit instead of making sure you got the best dinner you ever had. This is one of the reasons I stopped being a huge Kojima supporter; I came to believe the guy would rather hear himself talk than make games (luckily he stopped somewhat with MGSV and now Death Stranding). Basically I’m in the “show me, don’t tell me how great you are” camp. There’s a reason why one involves results and the other is just plain old shit talking. Shut up and make your game.

I agree. I’m sure the game (TLOU2) will be great, but too much talk is just silly.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I love ND, they're great at what they do and I enjoy their games. I disagree with those who think ND can't create gameplay or that their games don't contain enough of it. Their gameplay is awesome, full stop. Put together with a great narrative I love the experiences they create.

However these reactions they've mostly brought on themselves due to clear political agenda their pushing these days.

Fair, but shitting up in numbers with one line drive by’s any thread remotely related to ND would make us as judgemental, virtue-signalling, and over aggressively triggered as much as the “woke” people that seem to be pissing people off in this board.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
My issue with ND and the games they have made recently have been mostly due to the press and twitter of its devs. It is like with any media, you keep hearing how "fantastic" it is. How it is "one of the greatest story telling game/film/book, ever made". The creators say it "brought them to tears" and how "nothing has ever made them feel that way". When you finally get to it, you enjoy it to a point - but you can see the flaws. But then you keep hearing it, year after year. How it "changed gaming", usually by the same handful of people time and again.

It just gets *really* old, in my opinion. I think ND would do far better if they do the Rockstar approach. Announce the game is being made and then STFU until a month or two before release, showcase the gameplay, the story, and let people enjoy it. Stop trying to metaphorically suck your own dick about how "progressive/fantastic/amazing/etc" your game is. I can understand if this was an indie studio, they need as much shilling as they can to get to as many people as they can. ND is a AAA development studio. They don't need to do that.

As for the tweet in general - I hope it is some fantastic animations that haven't been done in gaming before, or some amazing cinematography or next generation AI/Sound Design. However, given how often I see this from ND devs, I just can't find myself to get hyped over something that is more than likely going to be nothing but hot air.

I really hope I am wrong.

Fair, but unless we prohibit people from being themselves on Twitter and talk to friends and other industry people in a proud way about what they work on... well, what else can be done?

This was a personal tweet not a company PR or an official Sony trailer.

HeresJohnny

Fair, but shitting up in numbers with one line drive by’s any thread remotely related to ND would make us as judgemental, virtue-signalling, and over aggressively triggered as much as the “woke” people that seem to be pissing people off in this board.

I actually love Naughty Dog’s product as a general rule; I just want them to spend as much time making sure everything in the game is polished to a mirror shine. There’s plenty of time for them to tweet and post interviews once it goes gold.

Ka-Kui

Fair, but unless we prohibit people from being themselves on Twitter and talk to friends and other industry people in a proud way about what they work on... well, what else can be done?

This was a personal tweet not a company PR or an official Sony trailer.
Can't say you're wrong there.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I actually love Naughty Dog’s product as a general rule; I just want them to spend as much time making sure everything in the game is polished to a mirror shine. There’s plenty of time for them to tweet and post interviews once it goes gold.

... but can people be open and proud of what they do or just because of “reasons” they need to keep their mouths shut and stop being themselves as people on social media? I do not see that as a company PR, just people being people.
How would be the climate if, because of that 343i director very political interview, every Halo Infinite post were to be a series of politically charged or weak drive by’s too?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-01-03-bonnie-ross-diversity-attracts-diversity

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Well it's animation related. My guess is it's someone taking off clothes or putting them on. Fully animated with no cuts.

HeresJohnny

... but can people be open and proud of what they do or just because of “reasons” they need to keep their mouths shut and stop being themselves as people on social media? I do not see that as a company PR, just people being people.
How would be the climate if, because of that 343i director very political interview, every Halo Infinite post were to be a series of politically charged or weak drive by’s too?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-01-03-bonnie-ross-diversity-attracts-diversity
It’s just a difference in opinion. When I was cramming for a calc midterm or final, I went into dark mode. I didn’t spend time telling people how I was gonna do one way or the other, because I was too busy trying to nail it. It’s ok for people to be proud, but imo pride should come after crunch time, and that whether you are a game maker,a chef, or a student. Then again, I’m also highly superstitious (too many years of watching baseball) and I consider talking about something that isn’t finished in a prideful way to be tempting to get smacked down by fate.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
How would be the climate if because of that 343i director very politics post every Halo Infinite post was a series of drive by’s too?

You have a good point, but I do disagree with your wording suggesting that "they need to keep their mouths shut and stop being themselves as people on social media". The developer is an employee of Naughty Dog and readily promotes himself as such with his bio. He therefore speaks for the company and is acting as PR for the game when he talks about it. Ultimately it is just a difference in opinion, but I believe one's pride should be shown through the finished product - not the lead up to it. I won't be going back and forth continuously talking about how amazing my next paper is - how it will excite everyone. I am just going to work on the paper, on my research, and let the product speak for itself.

Well it's animation related. My guess is it's someone taking off clothes or putting them on. Fully animated with no cuts.

That would be very nice to see, assuming it isn't pre-rendered.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The developer is an employee of Naughty Dog and readily promotes himself as such with his bio. He therefore speaks for the company and is acting as PR for the game when he talks about it

I disagree, you will often see the “I speak for myself and not for the company I work for” and this attitude (always on the lookout) can be quite chilling in terms of honest and transparent speech. It is just an excited developer talking to other developers and friends in a public forum IMHO.

Regardless of him posting it on his bio, if someone were outed as ND employee on his private account should they just close it else everything he says will be used pro lr against the company he works for? Should all companies give zero freedom of speech to their employees in any context ever? Kind of a slippery slope going there.

Also, would we want every Halo: Infinite thread be ravaged by a group of anti-SJW now that the Bonnie Ross interview became public (link quoted earlier: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-01-03-bonnie-ross-diversity-attracts-diversity)? It would be unfair to those people that honestly want to speak about the game too.

Last edited:

subjective.

Not looking st this thread’s drive by’s (including yours) and other similar ones, but maybe yes not s jniversal truth (deduction vs induction and all that jazz).

you don't need to throw fancy words at me. their gameplay shows what kind of "Games" they make. thats my last word on this.

"i dont agree with you. thus your trolling". I'd let go of that ideology.

I have a fraustration against naughty dog because they are slowly seeping all the fun out of the games that sony computer entertainment makes since the creation of WWS.. i dont need my games to be lifetime movies.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Reads like bullshit hype/thinly veiled marketing, not anything truly new.

If TLOU2 has a single gameplay mechanic that hasn't already been done in another game, I'll eat my hat.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I disagree, you will often see the “I speak for myself and not for the company I work for” and this attitude (always on the lookout) can be quite chilling in terms of honest and transparent speech. It is just an excited developer talking to other developers and friends in a public forum IMHO.

Regardless of him posting it on his bio, f someone was outed as ND employee on his private account should they just close it else everything he says will be used pro lr against the company he works for? Should all companies give zero freedom of speech to their employees in any context ever? Kind of a slippery slope going there.

Also, would we want every Halo: Infinite thread be ravaged by a group of anti-SJW now that the Bonnie Ross interview became public (link quoted earlier: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-01-03-bonnie-ross-diversity-attracts-diversity)? It would be unfair to those people that honestly want to speak about the game too.

I think we should just agree to disagree on this.

As for the Halo: Infinite - there was already a good discussion over her a short while back on GAF. i343 doesn't have a history of trying to push "progressive" mindsets, so there will probably be less discussion/drive-bys.

However, I think we can both agree that the drive-bys don't serve any point other than people just shitposting.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
you don't need to throw fancy words at me. their gameplay shows what kind of "Games" they make. thats my last word on this.

"i dont agree with you. thus your trolling". I'd let go of that ideology.

I have a fraustration against naughty dog because they are slowly seeping all the fun out of the games that sony computer entertainment makes since the creation of WWS.. i dont need my games to be lifetime movies.

You are frustrated at ND, not judging it or the reasons for it on its merits here, and enter any ND related thread you find to vent off this frustration. Sorry to say it but how can I call it anything but trolling? That is like the textbook definition for not having much to contribute to the thread and for detailing the existing discussion.

I think gaming is a mature enough medium to tolerate and welcome politics and social discourse too... hence why I do not mind it being also part of these games in a way... not if the games have nothing but that to sustain themselves (see the train wreck that Ghostbusters 2016 was...).

Last edited:

Domisto

"something I've been wanting to see in games for years and it looks better than I ever imagined."

:pie_thinking:

They put him in the game as an NPC.

Hudo

Seeing that it has to be animation related, I suspect something with regards to cloth (mass-spring-systems) that doesn't clip under some crazy animation. Maybe someone is taking off his/her pullover and/or his/her pants? Maybe you can wrap yourself in a large piece of cloth or something.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
This is where ND separates itself from other developers, even a tease can have the gaming community roaring.

Javthusiast

Banned
Actual sex scene where the bodies aren‘t awkwardly interacting with each other?

Although is probably some small thing, that‘s getting hyped for no reason.

Top Bottom