• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: "We’re probably only using 30 or 40 per cent of the power of the PS3"

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Nice interview with Richard Lemarchand, Co-Lead Game Designer for Uncharted, over Threespeech.

Most of it is about Trophies, but there are some nice bits about other stuff. Some quotes:

About PS3 pawa
Lemarchand can talk about another interesting subject, though: the prospect that, in the near future, multi-platform PS3 games will outshine the versions running on rival consoles: “There’s a set of tools called Edge that were developed on the Naughty Dog premises, actually, by a group of very, very senior games programmer, some from Naughty Dog and some from elsewhere. I think it’s tremendously visionary of Sony to make these tools, which are largely low-level libraries.”

Here, Lemarchand comes up with an interesting revelation: “That’s why we think we’re probably only using 30 or 40 per cent of the power of the PS3 right now, and there’s this great, untapped potential. All third-party developers can get the Edge libraries for free and are going to be able to use them in their own ways, to get more and more and more out of the PS3 over the years.”

About their next project

So we asked him about future iterations of Uncharted: “I can’t talk about that: our current project is still unannounced. We are very hard at work: we’re quite a way into our next production cycle now. It’s great having all of the Uncharted code and tools, but we haven’t announced anything yet. I think all the horrible things that Nate Drake alludes to — which the South Seas pirates get up to with their prisoners — will be inflicted on me when I get back to the office if I spill the beans.” Unspecific, perhaps, but it sounds highly promising.

About cross team communication
"We’re always trading war-stories with Insomniac and Evolution and Sucker Punch. We’re just one block away from Sony Santa Monica – the guys who made God Of War – and we get our designers together with theirs for formal lunches, and just talk about tools, design approaches and so on. So there’s this town square feeling of everybody trading stories about our best practices, and I think it makes everybody stronger and smarter.”

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I really hate when the words "power" and "percent" build a sentence.

It's just so... E3 2006?

mollipen

Hopefully some of that unused power will be found and used to make sure Uncharted 2 doesn't have the V-sync issues of the first.

Seiken said:

It's just so... E3 2006?

Naughty Dog was talking like this during the PS2 cycle also. The jump from Jak to Jak 2 technically was pretty damn huge.

tanod

when is my burrito
Seiken said:

It's just so... E3 2006?

Judging from what developers did and Sony's hardware design on the PS2, I don't at all doubt that games we'll be seeing a year or two from now on the PS3 will outclass what we've seen this year so far.

freddy

Banned
Yea whatever. Developers are really playing the PR backtube of certain companies lately.

tanod said:
Judging from what developers did and Sony's hardware design on the PS2, I don't at all doubt that games we'll be seeing a year or two from now on the PS3 will outclass what we've seen this year so far.
Like that's never happened before.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SolidSnakex said:
Naughty Dog was talking like this during the PS2 cycle also. The jump from Jak to Jak 2 technically was pretty damn huge.
Yep. This is one team that actually backs up their statements.

In this case, however, I would prefer they focus more on improving performance. Uncharted is a beautiful game, but a locked framerate with vertical sync enabled would have really enhanced it. If they can introduce minor improvements to the visuals and improve performance at the same time that would be fantastic.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"We’re always trading war-stories with Insomniac and Evolution and Sucker Punch. We’re just one block away from Sony Santa Monica – the guys who made God Of War – and we get our designers together with theirs for formal lunches, and just talk about tools, design approaches and so on. So there’s this town square feeling of everybody trading stories about our best practices, and I think it makes everybody stronger and smarter.”

things like this make me feel so joyful, some of the best gaming studio's sharing tips and tricks, helping each other out.

awwwwwwwwww.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dralla said:
I want a platform-focused Jak game. If I don't get one I'm going to kill someone.

It would be nice if they release a new Jak game episodically a la Quest for Booty while dedicating most of their staff to Uncharted or whatever.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Seiken said:

It's just so... SNES/Genesis
Fixed, for a more realistic depiction of how long developers have been using this shorthand. It's useful for them in relating to laymen and it's really only a PITA in the hands of overzealous fanboys, but then what isn't?

Aladuf

Banned
Can't wait to see how their next project will look then. Whether it's Uncharted 2 or Jak 4 I can't fucking wait for it.

Seiken said:

It's just so... E3 2006?

Just the usual. With what ND is talking about, I better see the ingame graphics looking like those CG render screens in Uncharted 2.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Aladuf said:
Can't wait to see how their next project will look then. Whether it's Uncharted 2 or Jak 4 I can't fucking wait for it.
The Kitton is gonna kill me but I wish they're working on a Jak game. I want them to do like Insomniac!

Resistance, Ratchet and repeat.
Uncharted, Jak and repeat.

Draft

Wow, and these guys basically are the best technically on the system?

That sucks hugely. I spent $500 on hardware that is at best being used to 40% of its potential. When are they going to get to 80-90%? Another 2 years? Stupid thing will be $200 then.

Fuck that. What a gyp.

goomba

Banned
Developers to get better visuals out of a console as time goes on!, news at 11.

I expect all the consoles (inc the wii ) to well exceed our expectations of what they are capable of , by the time the generation is over. Happens every generation...

AmMortal

Banned
Draft said:

That sucks hugely. I spent $500 on hardware that is at best being used to 40% of its potential. When are they going to get to 80-90%? Another 2 years? Stupid thing will be $200 then.

Fuck that. What a gyp.
:lol

Aladuf

Banned
Seiken said:
The Kitton is gonna kill me but I wish they're working on a Jak game. I want them to do like Insomniac!

Resistance, Ratchet and repeat.
Uncharted, Jak and repeat.

I want the same thing too, if they could do a rotation like Insomniac does then that would be great. As badly as I want another Uncharted, I will shit myself if another Jak is announced next.

Seiken said:

It's just so... E3 2006?

OK then, what about this : "What does the scouter say about the PS3's power level?"

Really any discussion of 'power' in this way is just as bad as how some people used to obsess about 'bits'

Draft said:

Fuck that. What a gyp.

I hope you are being sarcastic.

Jesus Murphy about the vsync already. Some of you folks are way too nitpick nancy about this stuff.

It was fine. Hardly anything close to something that kept me from enjoying the game.

dark10x said:
In this case, however, I would prefer they focus more on improving performance. Uncharted is a beautiful game, but a locked framerate with vertical sync enabled would have really enhanced it. If they can introduce minor improvements to the visuals and improve performance at the same time that would be fantastic.

The way they talked in interviews, the framerate/V-Sync problem was really just a release date issue. I wouldn't expect them to run into the same problem with whatever game they're working on now. Each time they'd show Uncharted those issues would be a little cleaner than the last time they showed it. So they were working toward it but it seems like they just ran out of time.

soldat7

kaching said:
Fixed, for a more realistic depiction of how long developers have been using this shorthand. It's useful for them in relating to laymen and it's really only a PITA in the hands of overzealous fanboys, but then what isn't?

Trying to quantify something as indefinite as the 'power of the PS3' isn't really useful to anyone. While I'm sure their future titles will outshine their previous games (and quite possibly games from other devs), it's silly to use the words 'percentage' and 'power' in this context, as someone here already mentioned.

Developers should not use marketing speech IMO.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Seiken said:

It's just so... E3 2006?

yeah this. but great interview otherwise.

EviLore said:
Use some of that 60-70% for *VSYNC* next time.

oh and :lol :lol :lol ZING

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
EviLore said:
That's what I'm saying. The visuals are excellent and they need to focus on performance this time instead.

The only two things I really think the visuals could use would be a stable 30 fps with vertical sync AND object based motion blur (their camera blur is nice, but it needs object blur for a real impact). Object blur almost negates the need for 60 fps AND looks best at 30 fps. It would also improve the appearance of their animation.

Dante

Draft said:

Fuck that. What a gyp.

Are you a joke character?

tanod

when is my burrito
Aladuf said:
I want the same thing too, if they could do a rotation like Insomniac does then that would be great. As badly as I want another Uncharted, I will shit myself if another Jak is announced next.

All the Jak games were two years apart unlike the R&C games which were one.

Chiggs

EviLore said:

:lol

I know next to nothing about programming for the PS3, especially when compared to the talent at Naughty Dog, but I just can't accept this as the truth. 60-70%? Come on....

Euphor!a

Banned
"Power" is just an estimation on how much better they can make games from a technical standpoint based on their experience with the console, people need to stop being ridiculous about it and realize power is just fine in this context.

tanod

when is my burrito
ScrabbleBanshee said:
Jesus Murphy about the vsync already. Some of you folks are way too nitpick nancy about this stuff.

It was fine. Hardly anything close to something that kept me from enjoying the game.
Lack of vsync in games makes some people motion sick on occasion.

Narag

Draft said:

Fuck that. What a gyp.

We've paid for potential since day one. I agree though.

gregor7777 said:
Why didn't they use the rest?

Lack of time I'd imagine. Their GDC slides showed an impressive system for water that they didn't have time to implement in the game. Seems like Resistance 2 is putting it in though (an example of Sony's studios sharing tech ?)

Kittonwy

Banned
Can't wait to see UNCHARTED2 !!!222!!! in action.
angry.gif

They're still by far the best developers on the PS3 in terms of everything from gameplay/art/tech/writing. Sometimes I wonder how much of the Edge tools Insomniac uses, Uncharted does lighting and shadowing better than just about every game on the PS3.
batman.gif

thuway

Lemarchand can talk about another interesting subject, though: the prospect that, in the near future multi-platform PS3 games will outshine the versions running on rival consoles

Wait wha? Is this PR BS, or could this be fact?

I know he went on to talk about Edge toolkits, but are they really that effective to developers? What about all those issues with RAM, and the like?

Top Bottom