• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: "We’re probably only using 30 or 40 per cent of the power of the PS3"

Doubledex

Banned
deepbrown said:
Getting rid of the floating was on their list of things to fix, but they ran out of time (and they didn't want to spoil the responsiveness) and unless they add a whole load of amazing tech (which I do hope) there's a 99% chance of a locked framerate.

I'd like to add; Better Splash and Explosion effects, and interactive glass that breaks (as good as Resistance's :D )

ps. Doubledex speaks the truth. We should learn from past experience...some seem to be conveniently forgetting the PS1 and PS2.
From what I heard: The world/areas will be bigger + more effects + better/more animations + more and more!
Just believe in what they do. Jak & Daxter looke beautiful after its release but when Jak 2 arrived... holy mother of god! Bigger, better... simply MORE of .... ALL!

kevm3

I'd like to see Naughty Dog take a step to implementing more 'dynamic visuals.' In most videogames, the world around you is pretty much dead and lifeless. You can't really interact with it. I'd like to see efforts made towards being able to interact with the environment on a deeper level. For example, if you have a torch and you put ithe flame of a torch next to a candle, the candle starts to melt. If you put the torch next to a wooden bookcase, the bookcase can catch fire. I just want more interactivity with the world around me and not feel like everything in the room is made of cement and stuck together. With a more dynamic visual approach, I want physics to have a dieeper level of effect on the game world, and the ability for real time transformation. I don't know how possible it is this generation, but I'd at least like to see some progress made towards it.

konrad77

For thoose who laughs at the percentage what so damn hard to understand? If you have a good set of profiler tools like EDGE it's easy to measure how good/bad you utilize the system capacity. In Guerillas case they didn't even use all the SPU, so what't the problem? You have 6 SPU and you use 4 of them, you can easily say that you not using 100% of the systems capacity, hence why Naughty Dog said they were estimating the usage to 30 to 40%.

wazoo

in some interview last year, in a french mag, Christophe Balestra told that he hoped the next game will achieve Uncharted cutscenes level for gameplay sequence.

FirewalkR

konrad77 said:
For thoose who laughs at the percentage what so damn hard to understand? If you have a good set of profiler tools like EDGE it's easy to measure how good/bad you utilize the system capacity. In Guerillas case they didn't even use all the SPU, so what't the problem? You have 6 SPU and you use 4 of them, you can easily say that you not using 100% of the systems capacity, hence why Naughty Dog said they were estimating the usage to 30 to 40%.

I wouldn't call Edge a set of profiler tools. It does include GCM Replay, an RSX profiler but it is mainly a set of libraries that implement certain functionality taking advantage of the SPUs.

However, it's weird that they mention this now, wasn't Edge supposed to be in the hands of the third parties for... more than a year now?

Doubledex

Banned
konrad77 said:
Psssst! You make too much sense ;-) (haters will crush you now ;-) )

Busty

Banned
As I clicked into GAF this morning I noticed that alongside this topic there was also a topic titled "Rare: Half the studio working on secret projects, 360 hasn't reached its limit" and I just knew it was going to be one of those days on GAF.

I thought about typing a post that argued it's a waste of time to try and discuss hyperthetical numbers we should be judging the systems on their performance thus far. On the games that are either out or soon to be released.

About how many of Sony first party titles have had incredible and often unmatched production values and tech that have really put them head and shoulders beyond what's out there.

And then I thought... fuck it. And just went with this....

We’re just one block away from Sony Santa Monica – the guys who made God Of War – and we get our designers together with theirs for formal lunches, and just talk about tools.

No doubt talking about coding on Wang Computers.

Oh Dr Wang when will you return to the world of computing and get the BC PS2 software working on the PS3?

Surely the video gaming public are crying out for your High Definition Backwards Wang Emulation.

J-Rzez

konrad77 said:

It has nothing to do with that. It's just that people love to take digs at one of the best devs out there, especially when their soul bound to the PS3. Anyone can easily see how talented these guys are and they're just upset they won't be porting a game to their console or pc anytime soon.

ND shown all they can back up whatever they claim, so these people are talking down on them are just talking out of their ass.

The paragraph preceeding the percentage power quote gives a short description of what they are trying to explain in terms of "percentage".

For the love of God please put that paragraph in the original post so people can see the context.

I'm not going to copy the text here because I want to see GAFfers argue over something that is explained in the three speech interview.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
kamorra said:
How does this fit in here?

Maybe he means 100%>40% (40% of 7 is roughly 3..)...i.e. maybe he thinks ND was using 3 processors before, so of course, using all 7 would be better..or something..maybe.. *cough*

/thread-save?

Draft said:
Wow, and these guys basically are the best technically on the system?

That sucks hugely. I spent $500 on hardware that is at best being used to 40% of its potential. When are they going to get to 80-90%? Another 2 years? Stupid thing will be $200 then.

Fuck that. What a gyp.
:lol

Kydd BlaZe

BruceLeeRoy said:
Uncharted does pretty much everything better than any console game currently.
Eh, not really, IMO.

Game looks fantastic, don't get me wrong. But much of the game looks like wet, greasy plastic. That the biggest problem I have with the game's visuals. I'm still very much looking forward to Uncharted 2 and whatever else Naughty Dog is working on at the moment (Jak 4 plzthx), though.

Malik

Banned
These guys are very talented, just looking at uncharted (played it to death) visually and gameplay-wise..including story it's such a damn good game. Can't wait for uncharted 2.

Malik

Banned
Kydd BlaZe said:
Eh, not really, IMO.

Game looks fantastic, don't get me wrong. But much of the game looks like wet, greasy plastic. That the biggest problem I have with the game's visuals. I'm still very much looking forward to Uncharted 2 and whatever else Naughty Dog is working on at the moment (Jak 4 plzthx), though.

The whole greasy plastic applys to many current gen titles, like Gears of War. Uncharted has its own unique and stylish visuals, imo they look much more realistic than many other top graphic games.

DSCF7896.jpg

DSCF7928.jpg

DSCF7924.jpg

drakeshairnf5al2.jpg

dscf7944rj7.jpg

dsc02323vv1eu8.jpg

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
goomba said:
Developers to get better visuals out of a console as time goes on!, news at 11.

I expect all the consoles (inc the wii ) to well exceed our expectations of what they are capable of , by the time the generation is over. Happens every generation...

I think you have misplaced expectations my friend. The difference here is that the Wii is essentially the same architecture as the GameCube. There should be very little more that can be done with the Wii than what's already been put out there. The power of the Wii was unlocked when the GameCube's power was unlocked.

On the other hand, Sony's architecture is so exotic and difficult to work with that we most definitely will see much greater things done on it as time goes by. Same with the 360, there's still power in there that most developers aren't using. I don't know if things will improve much after Gears 2, but what Gears 2 is doing is pretty damn awesome.

Malik

Banned
drakesfortune said:
I think you have misplaced expectations my friend. The difference here is that the Wii is essentially the same architecture as the GameCube. There should be very little more that can be done with the Wii than what's already been put out there. The power of the Wii was unlocked when the GameCube's power was unlocked.

On the other hand, Sony's architecture is so exotic and difficult to work with that we most definitely will see much greater things done on it as time goes by. Same with the 360, there's still power in there that most developers aren't using. I don't know if things will improve much after Gears 2, but what Gears 2 is doing is pretty damn awesome.

Epic pretty much did a number on the hardware with gears 1, Gears 2 will no doubt be pushing the system to its limits, IMO...especially since gears 2 doesn't look MUCH better than the first. but future titles will be relying more on shortcuts and neat tricks to get more out of it.

Example:

Halo 1 has MORE poly's than the 2nd. But due to better tools/tricks you can't tell.

deepbrown

Kydd BlaZe said:
Eh, not really, IMO.

Uh what's wet looks wet, what's not wet doesn't look wet. There are some areas where there's dry moss, wet moss, wet wall and dry wall...and all can be differentiated. You're in a friggin jungle...or a wet cave.

Malik said:
The whole greasy plastic applys to many current gen titles, like Gears of War. Uncharted has its own unique and stylish visuals, imo they look much more realistic than many other top graphic games.
Each one of those are in the wet and humid jungle...and you can see dry moss and dry rock too :)

deepbrown

wazoo said:
in some interview last year, in a french mag, Christophe Balestra told that he hoped the next game will achieve Uncharted cutscenes level for gameplay sequence.
The cutscenes are rendered in relatime (and then recorded as HD videos)

Doc Evils

deepbrown said:
Uh what's wet looks wet, what's not wet doesn't look wet. There are some areas where there's dry moss, wet moss, wet wall and dry wall...and all can be differentiated. You're in a friggin jungle...or a wet cave.

Each one of those are in the wet and humid jungle.

and colour. loads of it.

Kydd BlaZe said:
Eh, not really, IMO.

Have you played the game or just the demo? Cause there's tons of areas with great looking textures/shaders that don't look wet. If it should look wet then it does, if it shouldn't it doesn't. While still looking great on all accounts.

wazoo said:

I've mentioned this twice in two other threads. Would be amazing.

Doubledex

Banned
Kydd BlaZe said:
Eh, not really, IMO.

Game looks fantastic, don't get me wrong. But much of the game looks like wet, greasy plastic. That the biggest problem I have with the game's visuals.
And that's a technical problem? A Naughty Dog problem?
Maybe they WANT it to look wet??

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Seriously, how can people on a hardcore gaming forum can be this obtuse about A) developing for a closed system and B) developers using arbitrary estimations for leveraging said systems. Its only been parlance since ohIdunno, the dawn of consoles?
I'd estimate that GAFers are about 85% too entangled in console advocacy memes to understand this.

wazoo

snoopers said:
Eh, what's the point of recording them if you can do it realtime !

you do not have to load the assets for this particular scene from the disk. Moreover, sometimes, by playing the video, you can preload the next gameplay sequence and reduce load time as well.

andycapps

wazoo said:
you do not have to load the assets for this particular scene from the disk. Moreover, sometimes, by playing the video, you can preload the next gameplay sequence and reduce load time as well.

. It covers up load times.. I believe Resistance 2 is doing this as well.

wazoo

deepbrown said:
The cutscenes are rendered in relatime (and then recorded as HD videos)

I did not mean they were not in realtime, just you can do more in cutscenes than in gameplay, because you know exactly what will be on sceen at any given time, I presume.

His own words. I just picked back the mag for verification.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Haven't you heard? No moisture or dampness in jungles.

I love the rubber coated look of Uncharted. If they tried to make it look as realistic as possible, people would complain about two things:

1) Lack of colour.
2) Graphics not being realistic enough.

Imagine the mess that Galaxy would have been if they didn't make everything out of wet play-dough.

Kydd BlaZe

Doubledex said:
And that's a technical problem? A Naughty Dog problem?
Maybe they WANT it to look wet??
Never said it was a technical problem. Its just that everything looks like fucking plastic. I'm sure that this is just the style of the game and exactly what ND was shooting for, though. I'm just not the biggest fan of the game's visual style is all. I mean, the game looks fantastic, don't get me wrong...I just don't think it's the visual apex of this gen that most folks make it out to be.

Metalmurphy said:
Have you played the game or just the demo? Cause there's tons of areas with great looking textures/shaders that don't look wet. If it should look wet then it does, if it shouldn't it doesn't. While still looking great on all accounts.

I've finished the game.

Dark FaZe said:
Welcome to next gen guys.

vaseline.jpg

>_>

Vinci

Danish
drakesfortune said:

I never noticed any game on the Gamecube that looked like Mario Galaxy. Perhaps you can help me find it. Not saying that the Wii system is going to improve leaps and bounds, but to suggest that it won't be improved when EAD Tokyo was like, "Hey, the damn thing can do this? Cool." seems a bit silly.

This is true, however. The 360 and PS3 will improve much more noticeably over time, and that's a good thing. Hopefully it'll keep them from getting trigger-happy and jumping to the next generation soon.

Top Bottom