• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog's BEST PS4 Game - One Last Tribute to Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Roberts

I completed it, but more than a few times I asked myself why do I even bother. Very pretty game, but the outdated and repetitive gameplay was boring and its narrative flow is a mess. I remember enjoying old Uncharted games way more. Also, not trolling (really) but the first two rebooted Tomb Raider games were miles better and more fun.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Probably ties the first for my least favourite of the series, Uncharted 4 was the point were I exited the series and gave up trying to love Naughty Dog games. I think I finished it mostly because I'd paid full price for it; the outdated gameplay and dour story lost my attention hours before the credits rolled. The best part was Crash Bandicoot, because it offered a few minutes of gameplay uninterrupted by another overlong cutscene. Also, whoever decided Sam needed more screen time than Sully or Elena shouldn't have a job.

Saber

Gold Member
Unfortunatelly, as much as Ucharted 4 is pretty the game is boring and tedious as fuck. I completed once and never went back.

And when I was thinking that maybe this is a thing of Uncharted series, I played the first one and it was a blast. I even platinum the game.

Maybe it was less focused in cutscenes and dialogues and more focused in action/plataforming. Also, no tedious stealth parts.

LoU1 remastered is an interesting take. Although I really dislike the tedious pacing and some robotic mechanics, some were kindly nice. The visuals are pretty too and the story was superb.

Last edited:

Fbh

It was disappointing. Still had fun with it but I'd only rank it above 1. I liked 2, 3 and the lost legacy a lot better.

-The pacing is way too slow and there's way too many barely interactive scripted sequences
-They massively cut back the number of combat encounters which sucks because the actual shooting is great.
-There's only one good setpiece moment (the car chase).
-No supernatural elements or legendary cities or anything like that

To me it really felt like a shift in how ND makes games, one in which the story became the fundamental core of the experience.
To me U2 felt like it was built around a variety of fun sequences they came up with. In contrast U4 felt like it was built around the story.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For me, the best Uncharted game is Lost Legacy followed by Uncharted 2. Uncharted 4 is well, 4th best.

Gusy

Seeing this running at 60 will melt my face... The only thing I hope they improve is the HDR implementation. I think is nowhere near as good as TLOU2

STARSBarry

Gold Member
As many have pointed out already uncharted 4 outside of the origenal was probably the worst game in the franchise (no one counts the terrible spin off either)

It is however still Naughty Dogs best game for the PS4.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me personally like Uncharted 2 and original TLOU the best, they have perfect pacing without any unnecessary flashback/dream sequence.

PuffyCan

loved 2, 3 was okay, 4 bored me to death, still undecided if it's better or worst than the first because I can't remember how it was.

SinDelta

Still need to try Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy. Have heard good stuff about both of them. Don't know much about Golden Abyss.

I remember 3 having some amazing moments (escaping the capsized cruise liner, the airplane sequence) but still being a letdown after 2, which is seriously one of the best games ever made.

1 I remember for 1- The graphics, especially the view of the Nazi sub on the cliff side blowing my mind at the time 2- Eddy Raja being the kind of bad guy you love to hate 3- having to go through the dark and creepy bunker
filled with flesh eating abominations

4 - The wit and humor mixed balanced with the Indiana Jones like adventure which all 3 original games managed to accomplish. I'll take that any day over the reboot Tomb Raider trilogies shit excuse for a story.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
For me personally like Uncharted 2 and original TLOU the best, they have perfect pacing without any unnecessary flashback/dream sequence.
Same as me. I didn't even finish Uncharted 4 - I didn't consciously quit it, just started playing something else and then realized that I really had no desire to go back to it.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Being the best of Naughty Dog's output is a really low bar to clear.

High-jump.gif
b4j4i9g.jpg

Hugare

Its a great game, but just like TLOU 2, it has terrible pacing. Replaying the game feels like a slog.

TLL is "tecnically" better, but its not as memorable as a whole. It has better pacing, cool setpieces and etc., but U4 has better story, feels more epic, and has more to say.

I love U4 and TLOU 2 but I trully hope that ND tries to make a game with better pacing next time.

PS: TLOU 2 was the best on PS4

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Would play again at 60. Otherwise the game will be a quaint memory stuck at 30 in a sea of smooth 60’s.
The PS5 has 5x the tflops of the base PS4, 1.25x IPC gains so roughly 6x more powerful. They can easily run the 1080p 30 fps games at 4x the framerate at 1080p 120 fps if the release them as a PS5 native app. maybe even 1440p 120 fps with dynamic resolution.

especially now that the CPU is easily 7-8x more powerful and should not be a bottleneck. It's so disappointing how Sony has handled their amazing PS4 first party library.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Unlike some people here, if you have actually played all the Uncharted games and not just pretended you have and know Uncharted, you would know Uncharted 2 was their best one.. It's not even a contest, this is just fact.
I played all 3 on PS3 and all 4 on PS4... Uc4 is mind blowing better imo. But true. 2 is the best from original three

Neolombax

I think on overall, UC4 is my favorite. I quite liked the slow pace at the beginning, the gameplay was enjoyable. Even spent quite a number of hours in the multiplayer too. The writing for UC4 was excellent, and the story beats and voice acting were really great. The conversations and interactions between Elena and Nate were so real and natural, it was heartbreaking to watch.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I think on overall, UC4 is my favorite. I quite liked the slow pace at the beginning, the gameplay was enjoyable. Even spent quite a number of hours in the multiplayer too. The writing for UC4 was excellent, and the story beats and voice acting were really great. The conversations and interactions between Elena and Nate were so real and natural, it was heartbreaking to watch.
Perfect comment! Uncharted 4 has it all. I loved the Crash Bandicoot level competition, the fight in the prison yard, the set pieces (I still don't know how Naughty Dog pulls these things off) the humor and the story. The game is a masterpiece!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
As someone whose played through uncharted 1-3 on multiple difficulties and just for fun, uncharted 4 was insufferable. I've played through it once and it was so boring. Heartbreaking ending to an incredible franchise in my opinion. I think it's the worst one. Even over 3.

The lost legacy is a much better uncharted game.

Shmunter

The PS5 has 5x the tflops of the base PS4, 1.25x IPC gains so roughly 6x more powerful. They can easily run the 1080p 30 fps games at 4x the framerate at 1080p 120 fps if the release them as a PS5 native app. maybe even 1440p 120 fps with dynamic resolution.

especially now that the CPU is easily 7-8x more powerful and should not be a bottleneck. It's so disappointing how Sony has handled their amazing PS4 first party library.
I’m nodding knowingly

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As someone whose played through uncharted 1-3 on multiple difficulties and just for fun, uncharted 4 was insufferable. I've played through it once and it was so boring. Heartbreaking ending to an incredible franchise in my opinion. I think it's the worst one. Even over 3.

The lost legacy is a much better uncharted game.
I know it's your opinion but Lost Legacy was kinda crap :p Way overrrated for me. I did not cared for characters, story or the open hub design

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Thon jungle pirate town was insanely good looking, hell the game is littered with incredibly well designed and gorgeous locales, would defo replay for a 3rd time if they released a 4k/60 patch

Shubh_C63

The entire series before this you could play stealth or action if you wanted. With 4 it is nearly impossible to succeed if you start any battle guns blazing.
Didn't played UC4 but Lost Legacy, and even for a controller novice like me the dance between shooting/hiding was nearly perfect for me. I remember good tense moments that I only got from tlou1.

T8SC

The best PS4 game developed by ND is Uncharted 4.

There was nothing particularly wrong with The Lost Legacy, but it fell short of Uncharted 4.

The Last Of Us 2, is not a bad game, but it is far too long. Because of it's length and the style of game, it just gets too repetitive and essentially, boring.

Uncharted 4 is not perfect, it is not the best Uncharted game either but, it is the best when confined to the PS4 console that it was developed for (The collection are PS3 games, as is TLOU: Remastered).

Top Bottom