• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog's final PS5 exclusive will probably be the first game to showcase photorealistic graphics in-game (or come very close to it)

NinjaBoiX

I’m not being an ass, serious question, what is next gen gameplay? What does it look like? What can be improved over what we’ve been playing for the last few decades?

If you’re talking AI I’d defo agree with that. AI seems to be going backwards rather than improving on the likes of Fear, but beyond that I’ve no idea what next gen Gameplay is?
You say this in the context of TLOU2?

I thought the AI was superb in that game.

Bankai

Kh1myIi.jpg

We’re getting there. Won’t be perfect by any means, but in certain situations and lighting, they will pass for photos.

It looks great, but remember that almost all lighting is baked - it's all static. The jump from baked global illumination to a dynamic variant will require lots of horsepower.. and often won't looks as different. Though it IS important, because through realtime rendering things like a day-night cycle will come naturally - not just cherry picked from scene to scene.

Bramble

And will be 2 gens old gameplay wise

Ah the salt. Please explain, how does a gen define gameplay? They make 3rd person action/adventure games. With that said, TLoU2 plays and feels like nothing else. It's super smooth and makes actual gameplay look like a choreographed cutscene. Only games that come close, are other ND games.

@OP: I think we will be seeing some very nice stuff very soon with the PS5 version of TLoU2. I'm deliberately holding off a second playthrough. That game already looks better than 95% current and cross gen games. Something tells me they're not just upping the res to 4K and doubling the framerate. I think they're remastering the whole thing with ray tracing and better lighting, effects, textures, models etc.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Will it be 'fun' to play? Cause, I dunno.. it's a video game.
Nope. The game will be a slow, poorly paced mess with a story written by fart sniffing mental midgets - but will be praised as the second coming of jesus, despite it doing nothing better than the competition.

Y'know, like everything Naughty Dog has released since the end of the PS3 Gen.

Last edited:
Nope. The game will be a slow, poorly paced mess with a story written by fart sniffing mental midgets - but will be praised as the second coming of jesus, despite it doing nothing better than the competition.

Sounds like GOTY material to me.

Funny that naughty dog is singled out here when we had multiple pc games in 2020 that were far ahead in visuals like Flight Sim, Alyx or Cyberpunk. The best looking game is gonna come from the company that targets high end PC hardware and invests enough money to do so. It could be anyone

GymWolf

I always laugh when people say that tlou is boring because the graphics is realistic...

Do you also get bored with action movies (or any kinda of movie) with human actors in realistic situations and you just enjoy anime and cg pixar movies?!

I mean the saga has a lot fo flaws but being realistic is the shittiest argument...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I always laugh when people say that tlou is boring because the graphics is realistic...

Do you also get bored with action movies (or any kinda of movie) with human actors in realistic situations and you just enjoy anime and cg pixar movies?!

I mean the saga has a lot fo flaws but being realistic is the shittiest argument...

The issue is that it seems they focus entirely more on creating high quality graphics and animations and less on the moment to moment gameplay and story. So yes, you can have an absolutely beautiful action film, but it means nothing if the story is not engaging, the characters are forgettable, and the pacing is poorly done.

Of course that is just my opinion. Others will find the stories to be engaging, characters memorable, and pacing fantastic. To each their own.

Last edited:

GymWolf

ND isnt the only studio to achieve realism in graphics this gen. RDR2, Detroit, Death Stranding, Gran Turismo, DriveClub are proof of that, and several other third party developers can easily put out photorealistic visuals next gen.

giphy.gif

643649552280bb4aad598eaaa88bb0010aa98ec8r1-500-248_hq.gif

1b0754d0e0ea07d623f7d14897a5f6472005e373.gifv

giphy.gif

DICE is a graphical powerhouse and they have already shown stuff that is as close to photorealism as you can get.
5R3UzbP.gif

Criterion has already topped both GT Sports and GT7 with their first entry.
BFAGbBS.gif

You dont have to wait for ND's final game to get photorealistic graphics. There are plenty of studios talented enough to do this.
Sorry wrong quote.
The issue is that it seems they focus entirely more on creating high quality graphics and animations and less on the moment to moment gameplay and story. So yes, you can have an absolutely beautiful action film, but it means nothing if the story is not engaging, the characters are forgettable, and the pacing is poorly done.

Of course that is just my opinion. Others will find the stories to be engaging, characters memorable, and pacing fantastic. To each their own.
I love slow, methodical tps games and they are almost the only ones who do this type of games.

Their moment to moment gameplay during combat is great, just don't expect to play a serious sam or devil may cry game when they clearly make more realistic type of action.

I don't give an absolute fuck about their story or characters, they are mostly shit to me, and tlou2 was still my 2020 goty, just for the gameplay\graphic\animations\gore\care for details combo, and it was the same for a lot of people, you can read in this very forum people who hated the story but loved the gameplay.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Sorry wrong quote.

I love slow, methodical tps games and they are almost the only ones who do this type of games.

Their moment to moment gameplay during combat is great, just don't expect to play a serious sam or devil may cry game when they clearly make more realistic type of action.

I don't give an absolute fuck about their story or characters, they are mostly shit to me, and tlou2 was still my 2020 goty, just for the gameplay\graphic\animations\gore\care for details combo, and it was the same for a lot of people, you can read in this very forum people who hated the story but loved the gameplay.

As do I, but I have found that the gameplay/moment to moment combat to be subpar in most Naughty Dog games, and since the story/characters usually don't hold up or are highly derivative of other, better works (The Road vs TLOU1 for example, IMO), all that the games really have for me are good to great graphics and good to great animations, which - at least for me - isn't something that makes me want to continue playing it.

As for your last part, you can read just as many folks in this very forum that found both to be low effort/low quality. One of the reasons why I love this forum. So many different opinions, now if only the console warriors would piss off.

Warablo

Naughty Dog makes good looking games and top tier animations. They usually have a good story but their last effort was poorly paced and disjointed. Not to mention they made Ellie a little bitch.

GymWolf

As do I, but I have found that the gameplay/moment to moment combat to be subpar in most Naughty Dog games, and since the story/characters usually don't hold up or are highly derivative of other, better works (The Road vs TLOU1 for example, IMO), all that the games really have for me are good to great graphics and good to great animations, which - at least for me - isn't something that makes me want to continue playing it.

As for your last part, you can read just as many folks in this very forum that found both to be low effort/low quality. One of the reasons why I love this forum. So many different opinions, now if only the console warriors would piss off.
Moment to moment combat was pretty shitty in their past realistic games yeah. (Jak and dexter was a deligh to play)

Only tlou2 and uncharted 4 are onestly pretty good in terms of movements, aim etc., The cover system is still levels under a gears game tho.

I loved the gameplay in tlou1 but i'm biased, like i said, i love slow methodical combat woth good animations and gore.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
So I'm supposed to be the Lord of Edge but after reading this thread I'm not so sure. The hate boners for Naughty Dog and TLOU specifically is hilarious.

Naughty Dog are easily the best funded and talented studio right now. It's silly to argue that. Their LAST PS5 game is going to be amazing!

tommib

All that edginess gave me a paper cut.

It's really hilarious how much people on here hate ND because their last game had some LGBT themes. Must really hurt for you guys. So offensive.
So true. I was ready to hate the game after all the feedback I was reading regarding wokeness. I hate the culture as much as everyone else here. But then I played the whole thing and it’s so not there. It’s sad that it’s still being judged from this perspective.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Its not just graphics that ND excel at, they're the whole package, from animation, to AI, to level design to mechanics... sure some people dont like the type of games they produce or feel that they went to woke with TLOU2 but no matter your feelings on them, ya have to at least admit they are a fucking top tier studio that produces the goods consistently and to think there's probably some devs within ND who are probably reading this thread and saying to themselves.. "if only you could see what were cooking up on the PS5", I for one and I'm sure the entire industry are waiting to see what they do with the PS5

Kholinar

Banned
You are missing the forest for the tree.
Right, right. Sure. He's technically complaining about the politically pronounced aspects of the game, such as the despairing addition of a lesbian couple. I still don't see the need to trample over lesbians and transgender people, especially with nasty slurs.

Perrott

Gold Member

What competition are you talking about? Only studio in the world who plays in the same league as Naughty Dog is Rockstar, but I've seen that you people aren't fond of them either. So tell me, who are their competition then? The Coalition? Santa Monica? Ninja Theory? Asobo? Come on! None of them come anywhere close to what ND does.

Oh, and story-wise, even TLOU2's story would've sucked (which it does not), it would still be better than most videogame stories.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What competition are you talking about? Only studio in the world who plays in the same league as Naughty Dog is Rockstar, but I've seen that you people aren't fond of them either. So tell me, who are their competition then? The Coalition? Santa Monica? Ninja Theory? Asobo? Come on! None of them come anywhere close to what ND does.

Oh, and story-wise, even TLOU2's story would've sucked (which it does not), it would still be better than most videogame stories.

"you people"? Lol, what the hell are you talking about?

Also I would argue that there are many, many studios that are better than ND. Santa Monica, Nintendo, Larian Studios, Kojima's Studios, etc.
Stealth and third person, multiple pathway movement? Did better in Metal Gear Solid V. Graphics? RDR 2 was done a thousand times better. Ghost of Tsushima was better. Yakuza looks better, IMO. Story? Anything is better, IMO. But to be serious, there still hasn't been a story better told than the old Infinity Engine titles such as Planescape Torment. ND hasn't come close with any release to that title, let alone others such as Baldur's Gate I and II or Icewind Dale.

If you like the game, good on you. But I can't agree with you that ND is one of the top tier studios. Most of what they do can be seen done better and years prior.

Perrott

Gold Member
"you people"? Lol, what the hell are you talking about?

Also I would argue that there are many, many studios that are better than ND. Santa Monica, Nintendo, Larian Studios, Kojima's Studios, etc.
Stealth and third person, multiple pathway movement? Did better in Metal Gear Solid V. Graphics? RDR 2 was done a thousand times better. Ghost of Tsushima was better. Yakuza looks better, IMO. Story? Anything is better, IMO. But to be serious, there still hasn't been a story better told than the old Infinity Engine titles such as Planescape Torment. ND hasn't come close with any release to that title, let alone others such as Baldur's Gate I and II or Icewind Dale.

If you like the game, good on you. But I can't agree with you that ND is one of the top tier studios. Most of what they do can be seen done better and years prior.
Ghost of Tsushima and Yakuza look better? What? I understand your reasoning behind RDR2 as it is an open world title, but the other two? Really? I mean, I'm not sure if I want to find out where this discussion will go considering how both of us clearly have completely opposite views of reality.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I'm no tech expert but there's something fascinating about exclusive games, seeing how good a game looks when it's developed for one platform. Like how much of the attention to detail that we see in one game do we not see in other multiplatform games released the same console generation? How much of the attention to detail that we see in Naughty Dog games do we not see in games by Electronic Arts, Square Enix etc?
Not a very good take. Plenty of non-first party games do just that, rockstar being the shniest example with details and photorealism, maybe even above ND considering they use open world settings (which is much harder to develop than the mostly static, linear levels of ND games).

Like, you even mentioned Square Enix and Eletronic Arts, but some of their games look absolutely amazing so i have no idea how can you use them as counter examples.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Anything aking to actual photorealism in off rails free motion would need full RT, and that is out of the question for at least another decade or 2 on all platforms.

Last edited:

martino

we'll see. I place my bet. you will see more realism in the way game systems reacts to what is happening in them with rt capability you will have on gpu at that time.

Last edited:

RGB'D

Tech isn’t even remotely powerful enough for these consoles to push that kind of fidelity, whether it’s Naught Dog or not. Also OP, put down the naughty dog blinders. There are many great studios that absolutely rival (or surpass in some cases) ND... ND is a great studio of course (love uncharted minus the first one ... much less Last of us, and didn’t even bother with the sequel) but this thread is unrealistic wishful thinking.

Haggard

Banned
its technically wouldn't, but it's way harder to make without RT.
It would.
There are other ways to get somewhat accurate dynamic results, sure, but in the end anything besides full RT is always a compromise in accuracy, and when we`re talking about true photorealism there is no room for compromises. There is no other render tech that gets this close.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
ND isnt the only studio to achieve realism in graphics this gen. RDR2, Detroit, Death Stranding, Gran Turismo, DriveClub are proof of that, and several other third party developers can easily put out photorealistic visuals next gen.

giphy.gif

643649552280bb4aad598eaaa88bb0010aa98ec8r1-500-248_hq.gif

1b0754d0e0ea07d623f7d14897a5f6472005e373.gifv

giphy.gif

DICE is a graphical powerhouse and they have already shown stuff that is as close to photorealism as you can get.
5R3UzbP.gif

Criterion has already topped both GT Sports and GT7 with their first entry.
BFAGbBS.gif

You dont have to wait for ND's final game to get photorealistic graphics. There are plenty of studios talented enough to do this.
You had me up until you included tech demoes in your examples.

RDR2, Detroit, Death Stranding, Drive Club, GT Sport I agree are great examples of developers achieving amazing levels of realism in their games last gen.
However, I don't think it's fair to compare 3 second clips of tech demos to actual gameplay like GT7.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
OP makes it seem you can't develop good games early in a console's life cycle, I like to think you can. Naughty Dog has AAA GAME OF THE YEAR games on their resume, they do their home work and are comfortable with new hardware day 1. /micdrop

Guilty_AI

I know about dedicated PC game graphics being ahead of consoles, but I was talking about what we might expect from console game graphics by the end of the console generation.
You don't specify console games anywhere though, even went as far as assuming ND's final ps5 game will be the first to showcase photoreal graphics.

To answer your original question, it highly depends on what you consider photorealistic. We can already create photorealistic environments with what we have today, within certain limits <- and this is sorta of the problem we'll have to deal with moving forward.

Look the kind of thing its possible to create within limited enviroments

Last edited:
Top Bottom