• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2020-2021 Regular Season lOTl

Cutty Flam

Banned
-72-game regular season this year (December 22nd - May 16th)
-All-Star break of six days (March 5th - March 10th) even though the All-Star Game and related festivities may be canceled
-The NBA will stage a "Play-in tournament" for teams ranked 7th through 10th in each conference from May 18–21. The 7th place team will play the 8th place team, with the winner earning the 7-seed. The 9th place team will play the 10th place team with the loser of that game being eliminated. The 7th-8th loser will then play the 9th-10th winner, with the winner of that game earning the 8-seed and the loser being eliminated
-The playoffs will begin on May 22 and operate under the standard playoff format, with four rounds of best-of-seven series. The 2020-2021 NBA Finals will begin no later than July 8, with a potential Game 7 no later than July 22

C caffeware D Dr.Guru of Peru bender bender Xaero Gravity Xaero Gravity Hinedorf Hinedorf German Hops German Hops Lionel Richie Lionel Richie UltimaKilo UltimaKilo highrider highrider Dthomp Dthomp Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes Reptars Revenge Reptars Revenge StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige Elpidio Valdés Elpidio Valdés Celcius Celcius greyshark greyshark Bunker Hosted Bunker Hosted EverydayBeast EverydayBeast Orpheum Orpheum MrS MrS Knitted Knight Knitted Knight A Alter_Fridge HarryKS HarryKS Goro Majima Goro Majima EverythingsOverrated EverythingsOverrated Teletraan1 Teletraan1 Rickyiez Rickyiez juliushandle juliushandle F Frogman_676 Richard Packer Richard Packer Jon Neu Jon Neu MastAndo MastAndo ZZZZ ZZZZ n0razi n0razi O Oliade677 Horatius Horatius Pumpkin Seeds Pumpkin Seeds Come On Tars Come On Tars 008 008 Sub_Level Sub_Level Batiman Batiman YukiOnna YukiOnna H Hotty Botty @slugbahr vpance vpance EruditeHobo EruditeHobo Amory Amory Chromata Chromata e0n e0n paolo11 paolo11 diffusionx diffusionx DForce DForce Droxcy Droxcy K1Expwy K1Expwy MISTER INVEIGLER MISTER INVEIGLER Nobody_Important Nobody_Important cudiye cudiye KO7 KO7 Mista Mista Romulus Romulus M Max_Po Walter Matthau Walter Matthau SpiceRacz SpiceRacz demigod demigod Setzer Setzer Robot Carnival Robot Carnival Eric187 Eric187 VinnyMac VinnyMac CD'S BAR CD'S BAR DeepBreath87 DeepBreath87

Tried to reach out to everyone that participated in the playoffs thread, here's to an excellent regular season!

Droxcy

Going to be an insane season to watch tons of teams stacked and young players are taking off once again. Lakers in 5 I'm hoping!

Congrats to the Clippers on being Opening day champs lmao!

KO7

Woo thanks for the tag! For my Raptors, I’m excited to see the emergence of Malachi Flynn learning from Kyle Lowry, as well as the rise of OG Anunoby. Hopefully Siakam returns to pre-bubble form eventually, and not fizzle out after getting paid.

The Nets gonna be a problem in the East, gawddamn.

Heat vs Magic tonight!!! Let's go boys, the road back to the finals beginnings today.

Honestly the East is going to be insane this year so all I want is for the young guys to continue to improve. I want Tyler Herro and Kendrick Nunn to take another leap forward. I'm also hoping to see some promise from our rookie Precious Achiuwa. I know Spo will have the guys playing hard.

Good luck to your team guys! Let's get the party started.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Woo thanks for the tag! For my Raptors, I’m excited to see the emergence of Malachi Flynn learning from Kyle Lowry, as well as the rise of OG Anunoby. Hopefully Siakam returns to pre-bubble form eventually, and not fizzle out after getting paid.

The Nets gonna be a problem in the East, gawddamn.
Interested to see if Anunoby steps up big as well. Raptors are going to need him

As for the Nets, that is one solid team. Most talented I’ve seen on one roster in a very long time

• Thoughtful
Reactions: KO7

Cutty Flam

Banned
Heat vs Magic tonight!!! Let's go boys, the road back to the finals beginnings today.

Honestly the East is going to be insane this year so all I want is for the young guys to continue to improve. I want Tyler Herro and Kendrick Nunn to take another leap forward. I'm also hoping to see some promise from our rookie Precious Achiuwa. I know Spo will have the guys playing hard.

But did you hear what The Round Mound of Rebound had to say about the Heat? He said they aren’t making it to the NBA Finals... So I guess they’re making it to the NBA Finals 🤣

SpiceRacz

Excited for the Suns this season. They finished their time in the bubble really strong. CP3 should help them on both sides of the court. Though, I'm not as high on the addition of a 35 year old point guard as others. Should be a fun season nonetheless.

But did you hear what The Round Mound of Rebound had to say about the Heat? He said they aren’t making it to the NBA Finals... So I guess they’re making it to the NBA Finals 🤣

I saw that! I don't put too much stock into what Charles "No Rings" Barkley says. I don't know if they do that on purpose but telling Jimmy Buttler he can't do something is not a wise idea.

KO7

Interested to see if Anunoby steps up big as well. Raptors are going to need him

As for the Nets, that is one solid team. Most talented I’ve seen on one roster in a very long time

That Nets second unit is quite ridiculous. LeVert, Allen, Shamet, Green, and Prince... are you kidding me?! If they’re healthy, it’s probably an Eastern Conference cakewalk to the Finals for them. Not a KD fan, but I’m salivating at the prospect of LeBron and AD vs. KD and Kyrie already.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
That Nets second unit is quite ridiculous. LeVert, Allen, Shamet, Green, and Prince... are you kidding me?! If they’re healthy, it’s probably an Eastern Conference cakewalk to the Finals for them. Not a KD fan, but I’m salivating at the prospect of LeBron and AD vs. KD and Kyrie already.

You'll have to settle for Luka/KP vs KD/Kyrie, sorry.

Banned
Will the Nuggets take the next step? Same with the Heat? Will be a fun season to watch!

Im surprised they’re doing the play in tournament again. Is that necessary?

Cutty Flam

Banned
I don’t know about cakewalk to the NBA Finals, they can still break down as a team even with all that they have. I’ve seen many great teams over the years fail to claim a series they probably should have

The Nets are by far the most interesting team now though. I’d love to see those two teams meet in the NBA Finals

Will the Nuggets take the next step? Same with the Heat? Will be a fun season to watch!

Im surprised they’re doing the play in tournament again. Is that necessary?
Nuggets probably will. Craig and Grant gone though, that’s toughness lost...But MPJ is ready to torch teams I feel like. Heat are ready. Them getting Avery Bradley was huge. If that guy can play in practice with any intensity at all, the team is going to become far greater than last year. If he manages to play well in games and take care of his health then the Heat are going to be a monster. Avery Bradley is one of the most relentlessly tough, intelligent defenders I’ve seen for his size. He’ll show them how it’s done and elevate the team some. I was disappointed to see LAL let him go

With the play-in-tournament, it’s probably a good idea. The safety guidelines the NBA is enforcing are pretty rigorous, it’s more or less a way to ensure no team is completely fucked if they have bad luck if their star(s) or good players were stuck in quarantine and not able to assist the team is how I see it. It’s just a measure to make sure the 7th, 8th, 9th best teams have a chance and nobody is screwed over. They have to earn their spot and prove they belong in the playoffs. One game. All the chips on one game. It makes things interesting. But I do think it’s just a way to make sure no flukes slip into the playoffs due to good fortune of their own maybe, and the bad luck of other teams that may have had to go without key players due to the safety protocols and all

Reactions: 008
If KD and Kyrie both stay healthy, they will easily take the East. It will be a decent battle between GSW and the Lakers in the West, but Lakers are likely to win again this year.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

You won’t be seeing a lot of KNine this year with the addition of Avery Bradley. Precious will also be hard pressed for minutes because of Harkless and KZ Okpala, but he could get some quality minutes early in the season while Iggy’s minutes are limited.

Hinedorf

Banned
The 2 teams I'm most excited to watch this season are the Nets and Suns. Don't sleep on the Suns this year I could see Devin Booker lead the league in scoring with CP3 doing what he does in improving every team he's ever been on.

*edit - Oh and fuck the Clippers and James Harden

Last edited:
The injuries this season will likely change the path to getting a ring.

Nets have an advantage due to their stars being well rested.

And Harden seems to have already COVID striked the entire Rockets squad.

Dthomp

Let's go Celtics! Need step ups from some more of our youth while we get better. I hate the change to adding a play in thing, completely unnecessary in a league where half your teams make the playoffs as is, but whatcha gonna do? Billion dollar companies gonna keep chasing ratings and money, to hell with tradition, or actually making winning in the regular season matter.

KO7

If KD and Kyrie both stay healthy, they will easily take the East. It will be a decent battle between GSW and the Lakers in the West, but Lakers are likely to win again this year.

GSW looked absolutely horrendous in their season opener last night. I think they would need a healthy Klay and Dray to even have a chance at being competitive. If the team last night is indicative of their play for the season, they’re not sniffing the playoffs.

Even with Oubre and Wiggins, the Warriors roster is full of 2nd round picks they used to plug in spots when they were the favorites. Now those guys have to be regular rotation guys and they can't carry the load. Until Draymond is healthy, they have no secondary playmaker as well.

Even with Oubre and Wiggins, the Warriors roster is full of 2nd round picks they used to plug in spots when they were the favorites. Now those guys have to be regular rotation guys and they can't carry the load. Until Draymond is healthy, they have no secondary playmaker as well.
Warriors are done. Klay will never be right, and as fun as Curry is, he’s not carrying without a team built to make up for everything he can’t be.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I think Marquese Chriss needs more playing time, Wiggins needs to be more efficient, and Draymond needs to be a workhouse all season for them to make the playoffs. Their roster has what it takes to barely get by but I don’t know if Kerr knows the path to get there. He’s kind of questionable in his decision making sone days

jayson tatum cs GIF by NBA

This right here is a BAD MAN.

Dthomp

Man, I want to be excited about Boston’s win, but tbh that was a horrible shot for Tatum that went in on pure luck, cause that wasn’t anywhere near on point and bailed us out of a game we should have won easy. JB is way more consistent and good at getting to his spots, hopefully they continue to feed him, but we really need a third scorer to step up. Also, fucking Theis needs to keep his ass in the post and stop taking 3s...

Orpheum

Sloppy game from the Suns but a win is a win.

And how could they ride luka's dick even harder in the post game highlights? They show like one booker clip and immediately follow up with "more on luka coming right after this" wtf lol. Is it all about 10 players in the entire league?

bender

What time is it?
Sloppy game from the Suns but a win is a win.

And how could they ride luka's dick even harder in the post game highlights? They show like one booker clip and immediately follow up with "more on luka coming right after this" wtf lol. Is it all about 10 players in the entire league?

I though JRich did a good job on Booker. The two Cams and Bridges were the difference. Both teams seemed really rusty.

Overreactions:

-Luka is fat and out of shape.
-THJ sucks
-Dwight Powell's explosiveness is gone.
-THJ sucks
-Impressed by JRich, DFS and Johnson on both ends of the floor.
-THJ sucks
-It's going to be tough sledding until KP is back.
-THJ sucks
-Why not use Bobi for easy buckets when the Suns bigs are in foul trouble and the Mavs offense was horrid?
-THJ sucks
-For as good as Brunson played at the end of the game, he was equally horrid in the first half
-THJ sucks
-Maxi doesn't seem like made the next step forward.
-THJ sucks

Mista

Banned
-72-game regular season this year (December 22nd - May 16th)
-All-Star break of six days (March 5th - March 10th) even though the All-Star Game and related festivities may be canceled
-The NBA will stage a "Play-in tournament" for teams ranked 7th through 10th in each conference from May 18–21. The 7th place team will play the 8th place team, with the winner earning the 7-seed. The 9th place team will play the 10th place team with the loser of that game being eliminated. The 7th-8th loser will then play the 9th-10th winner, with the winner of that game earning the 8-seed and the loser being eliminated
-The playoffs will begin on May 22 and operate under the standard playoff format, with four rounds of best-of-seven series. The 2020-2021 NBA Finals will begin no later than July 8, with a potential Game 7 no later than July 22

C caffeware D Dr.Guru of Peru bender bender Xaero Gravity Xaero Gravity Hinedorf Hinedorf German Hops German Hops Lionel Richie Lionel Richie UltimaKilo UltimaKilo highrider highrider Dthomp Dthomp Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes Reptars Revenge Reptars Revenge StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige Elpidio Valdés Elpidio Valdés Celcius Celcius greyshark greyshark Bunker Hosted Bunker Hosted EverydayBeast EverydayBeast Orpheum Orpheum MrS MrS Knitted Knight Knitted Knight A Alter_Fridge HarryKS HarryKS Goro Majima Goro Majima EverythingsOverrated EverythingsOverrated Teletraan1 Teletraan1 Rickyiez Rickyiez juliushandle juliushandle F Frogman_676 Richard Packer Richard Packer Jon Neu Jon Neu MastAndo MastAndo ZZZZ ZZZZ n0razi n0razi O Oliade677 Horatius Horatius Pumpkin Seeds Pumpkin Seeds Come On Tars Come On Tars 008 008 Sub_Level Sub_Level Batiman Batiman YukiOnna YukiOnna H Hotty Botty @slugbahr vpance vpance EruditeHobo EruditeHobo Amory Amory Chromata Chromata e0n e0n paolo11 paolo11 diffusionx diffusionx DForce DForce Droxcy Droxcy K1Expwy K1Expwy MISTER INVEIGLER MISTER INVEIGLER Nobody_Important Nobody_Important cudiye cudiye KO7 KO7 Mista Mista Romulus Romulus M Max_Po Walter Matthau Walter Matthau SpiceRacz SpiceRacz demigod demigod Setzer Setzer Robot Carnival Robot Carnival Eric187 Eric187 VinnyMac VinnyMac CD'S BAR CD'S BAR DeepBreath87 DeepBreath87

Tried to reach out to everyone that participated in the playoffs thread, here's to an excellent regular season!
Going to be a great season with lots of fresh talent. Here's to going back to back

I honestly don’t think ratings across all sports will go up until the economy recovers. I just think people have so many other things to worry about that people who would normally watch are occupied with other things.

Let's get it, baby!

Do you guys think TV ratings will be better for the NBA this season, or?

Nope. They could maybe gain some benefit from starting now and having a no-NFL window sooner, but I think they burned a lot of fans. They kind of need someone other than Lebron to be the face of the league to rehabilitate. The Rockets/Harden situation is so out of touch with most of the American public as well.

There will be plenty of injuries. Stars get paid millions while people are being forced into unemployment. The China issue they won't even address.

Just from a delivery standpoint, they've eliminated fans at the game while having one of the worst streaming services of the major American sports leagues. Nothing the league is doing seems thought out. And fan reactions to dunks/threes are a large part of the NBA viewing charm. The league seems to have its head up its ass while its legs plow forward.

Last edited:

caffeware

Banned

Portland is home to the most strip clubs per capita in the US. According to research by Priceonomics, the city boasts 54 and has more than twice as many strip clubs as it has public restrooms. That is largely because Oregon's constitution protects “obscenity” under the first amendment

Last edited:
Top Bottom