• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 Ships 5 Million Copies, Take-Two Signs Multi-Year Extension

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems that NBA 2K11 has now shipped 5 million copies.

VG247 said:
2K signs multi-year extension deal with NBA

Take Two’s announced an extension of its NBA deal, which has seen NBA 2K11 sell 5 million units worldwide.

The new deal is a “multi-year” offering, and follows the success of 2K11, which is the most popular NBA 2K title in the series’ 13 year history as well as the best-selling title in 2K Sports’ history.

Take Two says 2K Sports will “explore new NBA licensed gaming opportunities, including online and social media platforms.”
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/23/2k-signs-multi-year-extension-with-nba/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dedication Through Light said:
Hopefully we get NBA Elite 12 from EA for at least two choices in the arena. Did EA also sign an extension?
There's no simulation title from EA this year, only an NBA Jam XBLA/PSN title.

LQX

I wonder if Jordan's brand was a bigger factor or the fact there was nothing from EA.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Teetris said:
Damn, sports games is the business. How much of that is in US?
I have to imagine a huge percentage.

It was the third best selling game of the year overall (behind Black Ops and Madden) on the NPD chart and that was a million units ago.

see5harp

I kinda feel like the runaway success of 2k11 may have been a once in a lifetime type deal because of the great Jordan stuff. No other single player will ever have the same appeal to a wide cross section (shoe buffs, basketball nuts, etc.). I do expect them to follow up with a similar thing though. Maybe next year will be a collection of 3-4 players with shoe contracts. They could go with Larry Bird vs. Magic or something. That would be special but the shoe unlocks wouldn't be nearly as cool with Converse.

DMczaf

I wonder how much of the profit from this series is being canceled out by the crazy amount of loss they take on MLB2K every year due to their hilarious contract.

2K wants out of baseball so bad they'll do anything.

Jordan is back!

nbalive2000006_640w.jpg

Again!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Kinda amusing looking back a year ago when some people were sure Elite was going to blow 2K11 out of the water.

XiaNaphryz said:
Kinda amusing looking back a year ago when some people were sure Elite was going to blow 2K11 out of the water.

Only foolish people.

2K >>> Live for 11 years. The only Live entries that matches up were 2004, and 2005.

see5harp said:
I kinda feel like the runaway success of 2k11 may have been a once in a lifetime type deal because of the great Jordan stuff. No other single player will ever have the same appeal to a wide cross section (shoe buffs, basketball nuts, etc.). I do expect them to follow up with a similar thing though. Maybe next year will be a collection of 3-4 players with shoe contracts. They could go with Larry Bird vs. Magic or something. That would be special but the shoe unlocks wouldn't be nearly as cool with Converse.

I think the fact that the game was one of the best basketball games in recent memory and that EA dropped the ball this year contributed more to the overall success.

Kusagari

see5harp said:

It was the perfect storm for 2k11. The Jordan stuff, no EA competitor game, and renewed interest in the NBA by casual fans thanks to the Heat.

see5harp said:

NBA2K12: What If? Feat. Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill mode.

Takao

Banned
2K put this money into a hockey game broski. 2K11 had major glitches, and kept crashing on me.

sajj316 said:
Well done 2K sports! NFL .. take notice, please!

I think the NFL already knows that having only one game every year means that game has great sales compared to two game years.

see5harp

crimzonflame said:
NBA2K12: What If? Feat. Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill mode.

HELL YES. Although Grant Hill basically just had a "run around you with my hella quick first step and dunk" repetoire (sorta boring offensively IMO). I'd be alright with Barkeley or Allen Iverson since they were both great players who never won (plus those AI Reebox were the absolute realness in high school). There could be a mode where you could take them all the way.

To earlier posts, yes, I do believe it was a combination of no EA game along with the Jordan stuff. You have to admit it was pretty badass limping around with Flu Jordan dropping 50 and shitting all over Craig Ehlo and the cavs.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
XiaNaphryz said:
NBA Live '10 was a solid game. If they had improved on that game rather than throwing it out the window, Elite might have had a chance.

Amory

NBA 2k11 may be the best sports game ever made, in my opinion. Well deserved success. Here's hoping 2012 is even better

see5harp

Amory Blaine said:
NBA 2k11 may be the best sports game ever made, in my opinion. Well deserved success. Here's hoping 2012 is even better

I would agree with this had the online been a tad better. Super laggy mess even with 2 players.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
maybe they can put some money in reworking their network. Team play and My Player matchmaking still doesn't work for me to this day in three different places on the PC and 360. it's been like this since they even came up with those modes. If i get it next year i'm getting it used.

see5harp

Guzim said:

Okay it's better than the NFL on Fox song that they use on everything but that's as far as I'll go. It's also better than the theme song to Extra and American Idol. The classic Entertainment Tonight theme is the gold standard.

Not sure if you've ever seen Broadcast News, but there's a CLASSIC CLASSIC scene in that with Theme Music musicians debuting their new song for the head News honcho. Wish I could find that clip somewhere.

nns3d

I've been meaning to get this game for the longest time, I could probably get it cheap nowadays too. Glad to hear that it's a solid game.

Shinobi

The new deal is a “multi-year” offering, and follows the success of 2K11, which is the most popular NBA 2K title in the series’ 13 year history as well as the best-selling title in 2K Sports’ history.

jordan.jpg

Top Bottom