• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 |OT| 1,000 VC needed to enter thread.

ron_bato

2KSMKT_NBA2K18_STD_AGN_FOB_NOAM.1496268917.jpg

Release date: September 15, (for pre-orders), September 19, 2017 regular release. (Note: Switch Physical edition delayed to October 17, but now available for download via the Eshop).

R00bot

Downloading on switch right now. Haven't played a 2k game before but am a big fan of the nba so thought I'd give it a shot (also want to support third parties on switch).

I've been thinking about buying this but as someone who only plays singleplayer mycareer 90% of the time the VC grind sounds like it's too much. Last years game was already virtually unplayable without dedicating 150 hours to the grind so I'm kind of iffy on picking this up. 2K are by far the most obnoxious microtransaction shills. At the same time buying this early is probably the way to go because unpatched vc glitches are essentially the lifeblood of playing this game.

Shari

1,000 VC needed to enter thread

Love it.

SG 6.9 Shoot creator and Driving & Finishing.

Love the neighborhood (although I see a lot of useless walking). My first day-1 NBA2k.

If anybody is wants a PC partner to ball in the park add me!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/shar1

Edit: I also have a question. How does upgrading work now? Are there only badges available? I couldn't find the stats buying page on my time with the game yesterday. Are they now non-related to money?

cHinzo

Love it.

SG 6.9 Shoot creator and Driving & Finishing.

Love the neighborhood (although I see a lot of useless walking). My first day-1 NBA2k.

If anybody is wants a PC partner to ball in the park add me!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/shar1

Edit: I also have a question. How does upgrading work now? Are there only badges available? I couldn't find the stats buying page on my time with the game yesterday. Are they now non-related to money?
Max height of a Shooting Guard is 6'8". I'm planning to make the same build, but at the Small Forward position. Less Hall of Fame badges compared to Driving / Shot creator, but better shooting stats and ball handling in exchange for some speed.

ron_bato

I snuck in about an hour during my lunch break to play, and I've been playing the prelude nonstop since it released.

And I gotta say 2k outdid themselves this year. This is as big a leap in terms of gameplay from one year dev cycle as it was from 2k10-2k11. The changes made to the gameplay are outstanding. Hands down, this is a great improvement (still not perfect as I see a lot of things that can get exploited or are not executed well in this year's iteration), and I'm looking forward to see how it evolves from this year on (I hope they don't eff it up with too many patches).

If anybody's looking for someone to play some games with, I'm ron_bato on PSN. I don't play the career mode, park, and the myteam mode, precisely because of how VC is shoved everywhere, but I do love the on court product.

cHinzo

Then I did a mistake, I'm kinda new with NBA lol. What position is the one of Durant & Lebron?
They both play Small Forward. Lebron is a 6'8", but Durant in real life is secretly like 7' which u can't make (6'10" is the max at SF).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Bought it on Switch and downloaded over night. I wanted to take it with me to work this morning but the initial setup process (account, name, my player etc) was a bit too long so I left and I will play after work.

Shari

Thanks guys, so yeah I made SF 6.9. Dunno if that's any good but I'm not too worried about min-maxing since there's way too many combinations and knowing myself I would spend my time with the game having changes of hearth and restarting.

What about the upgrading, anybody knows where the menu is or if it has been changed?

It feels good to see people with 60 rating running around, last year I bought the game in may and had my ass handed to me on a loop on the park by 90s rated players.

Less Hall of Fame badges compared to Driving / Shot creator, but better shooting stats and ball handling in exchange for some speed.

Is there anywhere I can get some info on how the badges work? I understand that different archtypes give you different limits on how much your rating on a certain skill can be pushed but I dont understand badges nor I know what a hall of fame badge is and how it compares to a regular one.

Also, what's the practical difference between a main and a secondary badge?

kAmui-

So, on the Switch's eshop the game has no screen shots. Just the cover image. That seems pretty odd. I don't think I've seen any other game do this. And is this the first Switch game with micro transactions?

Just bought the Switch version off the mobile eShop, can't wait to get home and download it.

I own every copy of NBA 2K from 2K8 to 2K16, but finally decided to give 2K17 a pass because of the weak feedback (and, if I'm being honest, the LeBron cover). So its gonna be fun to come back and see what's new.

Also, having a full-fat simulation basketball game on the go has been a personal want of mine for a long freaking time - the portable versions of Live etc. on the PSP were always mechanically different from their console cousins due to their technical limitations. Since I'll be away at the in-laws for the entire weekend, the timing of this is perfect!

cHinzo

Just bought the Switch version off the mobile eShop, can't wait to get home and download it.

I own every copy of NBA 2K from 2K8 to 2K16, but finally decided to give 2K17 a pass because of the weak feedback (and, if I'm being honest, the LeBron cover). So its gonna be fun to come back and see what's new.

Also, having a full-fat simulation basketball game on the go has been a personal want of mine for a long freaking time - the portable versions of Live etc. on the PSP were always mechanically different from their console cousins due to their technical limitations. Since I'll be away at the in-laws for the entire weekend, the timing of this is perfect!
Paul George was the cover athlete for 2K17 though. 🤔

theWB27

I snuck in about an hour during my lunch break to play, and I've been playing the prelude nonstop since it released.

And I gotta say 2k outdid themselves this year. This is as big a leap in terms of gameplay from one year dev cycle as it was from 2k10-2k11. The changes made to the gameplay are outstanding. Hands down, this is a great improvement (still not perfect as I see a lot of things that can get exploited or are not executed well in this year's iteration), and I'm looking forward to see how it evolves from this year on (I hope they don't eff it up with too many patches).

If anybody's looking for someone to play some games with, I'm ron_bato on PSN. I don't play the career mode, park, and the myteam mode, precisely because of how VC is shoved everywhere, but I do love the on court product.

This is good to hear especially since i loved 2k17's gameplay.

ctfg23

Is there a day 1 roster update upon first starting up the game? Can't play online because of the stupid PS4 4.74 update and I'm in the beta.

derFeef

This will be my first 2K NBA game - pretty excited :)
I will get the Switch version since it's featue complete and seems fairly competent.

Cepheus

This is my first 2K game. Caved in and bought the Switch version digitally because I can't wait for the physical version to find out. The download is taking forever

Aiii

So not worth it
Just bought this on Switch.

In the US store. 60 USD (=50 Euro) versus 69 Euro in the EU store. That is just mental. I have no clue what 2K is thinking with that price when retail will sell it at 55 Euro tops come October. Praise Nintendo for finally being region free.

Cepheus

In the US store. 60 USD (=50 Euro) versus 69 Euro in the EU store. That is just mental. I have no clue what 2K is thinking with that price when retail will sell it at 55 Euro tops come October. Praise Nintendo for finally being region free.

It's that cheap in the US store? That sucks, I just bought it on the UK store for £55. :(

I'll pick it up on switch on Black Friday because 2k always goes for sale during that week

I have yet to play the prologue so I'll give it a download today

🐐ward x Kyrie x Ainge gonna do it

Zafir

Yeah, I grabbed it from the US store too, I already had $10 on the account so it made it even easier to swallow.

It's sadly no different to PSN/Xbox Live, where they charge RRP for games in the UK/EU instead of what people actually pay in retail stores. :/

cHinzo

What's the digital code for you get after buying (switch eshop version)?
I guess ur pre-order bonus. Probably a locker code u need to put in. It's under options -> locker code.
Can't wait till I get home and start MyCareer. Hope the servers are stable for once.

deadfolk

Anyone know of a guide for people who know nothing about basketball?

The basics are fine, but all the decisions you have to make when creating a player and some of the terminology surrounding move and such left me baffled when playing the prelude.

inc77

It's amazing playing this on portable. But I do get a bit distracted with 30 fps. Mainly the way the ball moves, but its mainly noticeable on dock mode. Handheld it looks amazing

Anyone know of a guide for people who know nothing about basketball?

The basics are fine, but all the decisions you have to make when creating a player and some of the terminology surrounding move and such left me baffled when playing the prelude.
NBA2K16 and following the few real NBA matches broadcasted over here basically were my guides ;).

Just play the game and you'll learn the rules and terminology but by bit basically.

deadfolk

NBA2K16 and following the few real NBA matches broadcasted over here basically were my guides ;).

Just play the game and you'll learn the rules and terminology but by bit basically.

Cheers - I guess that makes sense.

Follow-up question: can you play modes other than MyCareer to start earning VC before creating your player?

That way, one could be learning the ropes while accumulating currency, and then once you start a career you would have some paper in the bank to get started with.

Zafir

Yeah, this.

I think it was 2k15 the first one I got, it was on sale on PSN and I didn't have many PS4 games so it was kind of an impulse purchase. Basketball isn't a big thing in the UK, so the rules were beyond me, but I'd say I picked up things pretty quickly just playing the career mode.

ryushe

I'm glad there's an OT for this cause I have a question I want to ask.

So I don't watch modern basketball anymore. Last time I used to watch hard was in early 2000's. I also have not a played a modern basketball game since Live '03 (which had my favorite player on the cover). I've dabbled with a few 2K's, but at best I played one full game and at worst, a few minutes. Anyway, I guess my question is, how impenetrable is this series/this game to someone in my situation?

Bern mulling over this for a while, but I didn't want to create an entire thread about it.

Crazyorloco

Switch version is a dream... not Xbox one or PS4 level graphics, but close. It is missing cloth physics. But everything else is in. I'm impressed. Best portable basketball game period.

I love being able to play the game on the go or give a friend a joy-con to play the game.

Since I'm crazy I might also purchase the Xbox one version... nice job visual concepts.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm glad there's an OT for this cause I have a question I want to ask.

So I don't watch modern basketball anymore. Last time I used to watch hard was in early 2000's. I also have not a played a modern basketball game since Live '03 (which had my favorite player on the cover). I've dabbled with a few 2K's, but at best I played one full game and at worst, a few minutes. Anyway, I guess my question is, how impenetrable is this series/this game to someone in my situation?

Bern mulling over this for a while, but I didn't want to create an entire thread about it.

I barely watched any basketball since it never was available to me to follow properly and I was fine, so you should have no problem. This series is great fun regardless of how well you know the current game and teams/players.

Piscus

Man.... do I buy digital now? Or wait until October for Switch retail version to release? Or wait until Black Friday for the Switch retail version to go on sale?

Tubobutts

They still didn't fix the thing where I'm a foot shorter in cutscenes.

It's even crazier now that I started over as a 7'3 285lb dude.

Top Bottom