• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 |OT| 1,000 VC needed to enter thread.

Switch version looks impressive in handheld mode, but my lord do not dock this sucker! The fucking icons and text looked pixelated like they scaled incorrectly or something. It's hideous.

nluckett

A mobile (mostly) current gen version of 2K, damn.

Switch version is real nice. Obvi not PS4 level, but not that far off and having it on the go is going to be great. Gotta give 2 player joycon mode a shot at some point.

newsguy

As a 2K player since the original on DC , I'm very impressed with the Switch version. Although I have to change up my play style a bit to adapt to the small screen, I'm started to get a feel for offense. Defense is another beast. I'm going to have to figure out sliders because you literally slide all over the place. Any quick guard can blow past you at will right now on anything above pro.

jack....

My dream of a portable NBA 2K is finally real. I was a little worried about the 30fps thing but it does not bother me at all. This is going to make commercial breaks and halftime so much better this season.

This may have been answered already but does this game run at 60fps on PS4 Pro? Also what resolution?
The PS4, Xbox One, PS4 Pro, PC and last generation versions run at 60 FPS. The PS4 Pro resolution is most likely around native 4K with HDR if 2K17 is any indication.

The Switch runs at 30 FPS but is feature complete with the current generation versions and has similar graphical features.

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
Anyone else who is playing on a pro sound like their fans are ramping up to extreme levels with this shit? Happens in madden as well, and since I just got this 2 weeks ago i'll try and exchange today. Damn..

Anyone else who is playing on a pro sound like their fans are ramping up to extreme levels with this shit? Happens in madden as well, and since I just got this 2 weeks ago i'll try and exchange today. Damn..
2 things, make sure it's not in an enclosed cabinet and exchanging it will likely accomplish nothing. My pro gets loud as well.

Don't bother exchanging, it's really common on the Pro. Your system will be fine, it's just really concerning and annoying initially.

Yes when going to mycourt. I thought my system was about to fly. It quiets down though so it's not going to be bad for long but it will be annoying.

DPtheGod

The PS4, Xbox One, PS4 Pro, PC and last generation versions run at 60 FPS. The PS4 Pro resolution is most likely around native 4K with HDR if 2K17 is any indication.

The Switch runs at 30 FPS but is feature complete with the current generation versions and has similar graphical features.

This is great news. Thank you very much!

Jarate

Banned
Do you guys want me to record some switch gameplay at all?

Game feels a little weird at 30 fps, but still plays fine

Cheebo

Banned
For someone that have the switch version, how that scene looks on it?

tumblr_owbqtklQM01tpnf6ho1_1280.png

I have a friend that insisted that the switch version is based on the PS3 version.
For what I see, switch version is a middle tern.

It's not a middle term. It's shockingly close to the PS4/XB1 one. It is based off that version.

I don't use my Pro that often but I remember the fans going mental all the time on Horizon: Zero Dawn. I think it's something that affects all of the Pro consoles and we just have to live with it.

ViciousDS

Banned
Do you guys want me to record some switch gameplay at all?

Game feels a little weird at 30 fps, but still plays fine

thats pretty much what I was saying yesterday, its a solid looking game but feels very awkward at 30fps........the only time it has a hard time is when you hit the playground......there seems to be a judder or frame pacing issue when there. But actual on court basketball is perfect which is honestly all I wanted.

dakun

Have the same thing. Had it in 2k17 too when i was in the menus. I heard it was because they uncapped the framerates which causes the pro to ramp the fans up like crazy. Not sure how true that is though

ViciousDS

Banned
Have the same thing. Had it in 2k17 too when i was in the menus. I heard it was because they uncapped the framerates which causes the pro to ramp the fans up like crazy. Not sure how true that is though

its actually pretty true, Modern Warfares menu's were uncapped and every PS4 took off because they would hit 150+ sitting in them. Regular PS4's were affected by this too. Only happened on my Pro in 2k17 and CoD basically. Why the hell they don't cap the frames at least to 60 to not absolutely heat the shit out of the consoles baffles me.

Zafir

That used to be a problem on previous NBA games with the normal PS4...

Like I remember the little loading bits between games where you were in a car or on a plane or something, and the fan would ramp up like crazy. Made no sense considering not much was even on screen.

I always assumed it was uncapped framerate causing it, as it's the only thing that does make sense.

jmizzal

Best buy by my job didnt have my preorder today due to Hurrican Urma they only got some units.

But I was about to check a store near my house and change my order there where they had extra units.

I was about to be pissed lol

ctfg23

On a bunch of the classic team rosters there are a bunch of generic identical looking players that don't exist. They have names like John Smith, etc.

Is anyone playing MyCareer on the Switch? I'm wondering if it's so sluggish because of the microSD card I'm using. It's borderline unplayable...and all of the cutscenes are out of sync.

Gah I'm still torn between PS4 and switch. I have Live and 2K18 paid off but the idea of playing in the office is pretty dope too.

How are the controls on the switch feel weird at all? I may just wait for physical and sell my PS4 copy by then..

m29a

Neo Member
The VC thing is no joke, it's no wonder why they push it, the first day apparently had countless people already at 85 overall, which they clearly paid for. I mean whatever, nothing we can do, but it's kinda crazy.

As for the game, I'm having a fun time with it, as usual. They rejuvenated the driving game, less stonewalling (still there somewhat) allows you to use star players and iso like they do in real life, which is really fun. That was my biggest complaint in the past, the constant stonewalling, even from bad defenders and slow bigs.

VC is also used to rank your my player up? I thought it was just for cosmetic items. I have this game pre ordered and might consider passing on it, I don't wanna go online and get demolished because people spent a bunch of extra money.

I restarted my Switch and loaded 2k, then was greeted with a message that the Save files had been corrupted and will be overwritten.

I was able to reload my MyCareer but it changed my height, everything else seems to be intact.

I restarted my Switch and loaded 2k, then was greeted with a message that the Save files had been corrupted and will be overwritten.

I was able to reload my MyCareer but it changed my height, everything else seems to be intact.

Man. You are having the worst of luck with the game. As of right now, the only issue I have is getting adjusted to the controls. It's kinda jarring after playing with PS controls.

Aiii

So not worth it
One thing that is very annoying, and something more Switch games suffer from (looking at you, Xenoverse 2), is that you keep getting disconnected and kicked back all the way to the main menu when you wake from sleep mode. Just do a quick reconnect then and there, please 2K, you are ruining pick up and play here.

Any tips on getting better at this game? I just started playing with some friends and I am absolutely ass at this game since I don't know anything about basketball at all.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Xbox One X is getting a native 4K/HDR patch for this game right?? I'm debating whenever to go Xbox One or PS4, this will be first NBA game purchase since 2K10 lol.

Crazyorloco

Any tips on getting better at this game? I just started playing with some friends and I am absolutely ass at this game since I don't know anything about basketball at all.

Same. lol I think you'll naturally improve though. I'm much better at the game than my first hour or two of play. I never scored a bucket at first, but now i'm scoring here and there. Timing of the shots is important as well as being open when you shoot.

Here you go.

It's basically the PS4 Version but with 30fps and portable.

mXl4C6D.jpg

Definitely closer to PS4/Xbox One quality. I'm pleased.

The only thing I think they need to fix is how VC is handled right now. I want to preview a damn haircut before I purchase it. I don't mind the grind to increase stats though.

One thing that is very annoying, and something more Switch games suffer from (looking at you, Xenoverse 2), is that you keep getting disconnected and kicked back all the way to the main menu when you wake from sleep mode. Just do a quick reconnect then and there, please 2K, you are ruining pick up and play here.

Yeah this is going to happen more and more.

m29a

Neo Member

The primary things I can add is to use the pick n roll fairly often (which teams do in real life), and depending on the difficulty (you can get away with this on rookie/pro) try to only take high quality shots (open jumpshots, layups if the defenders are staying home on shooters).

If you try to shoot contested jumpshots on the higher difficulties, you get punished hard, and will rarely make them, even if you are good at timing. The pick n roll is huge for opening up the drive n kick game (pass to open shooter due to collapse of defenders protecting the inside).

And yes, as someone said, going through 2KU.

Top Bottom