• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 |OT| 1,000 VC needed to enter thread.

Any tips on getting better at this game? I just started playing with some friends and I am absolutely ass at this game since I don't know anything about basketball at all.

Something I found helpful was going to coach settings and turning on all of the play art and setting the play calling to auto. That way it tells you where to stand, who to pass to, where to run etc. and it helped me get a very basic idea of the kind of strategies used in basketball.

just to warn you guys, Switch version isn't exactly feature complete.

My Career has none of the story stuff to it, no prelude, no my city thing, you just pick a team and go.

I dont really care all that much, but they did advertise that the game is the exact same. It definately is not from what I can tell

Wow... and they are charging people $60.

EDarkness

My Career has none of the story stuff to it, no prelude, no my city thing, you just pick a team and go.

I dont really care all that much, but they did advertise that the game is the exact same. It definately is not from what I can tell

I'm pretty sure they said that all of that stuff was going to be in the game.

jmizzal

VC is also used to rank your my player up? I thought it was just for cosmetic items. I have this game pre ordered and might consider passing on it, I don't wanna go online and get demolished because people spent a bunch of extra money.

I have had high 60's rated players out play some of those jokers that buy VC and are 80's and 90's rated so fast.

If your good at the game its not too bad, I only spend a few dollars on VC then i'm done and just play.

VanWinkle

Uhhh, what?!

Tangeroo

Incorrect. You need to connect to the 2K server (on the main menu) to play My Player with all the prelude/story stuff.

jmizzal

Thats not true at all

Why does the screen shake when i'm doing free throws? Am I nervous?!?! lol

Also has anyone just fallen out of nowhere on the floor? Makes me laugh every time. I'm such a rookie.

Sounds like you may be double tapping circle (or equivalent) to flop. I had to replay the turorials while it was still downloading before bed. Guess I learned something!

mauaus

I want to love the game but this being my first bball sim in a loooong time i feel so lost, controls dont click with me and all i do are fouls and miss shots. Playing on default pro difficulty.

Any tips?

dakilla13

So buying the Switch physical version is the same as digital right? Since physical requires some extra downloading. Is there a cartridge with the physical version or is it a code in the case?

I'd rather use my Best Buy GCU to get it vs downloading it today if so.

BDGAME

And a better one

tumblr_owbqtklQM01tpnf6ho1_1280.png

sxHYFHj.jpg

It's a great Version. Miles ahead the PS3. Just the lack of cloth animation. Perhaps we get a patch.

That one is perfect. I put the other image together to compare.
Current gen engine, without a doubt.

I want to love the game but this being my first bball sim in a loooong time i feel so lost, controls dont click with me and all i do are fouls and miss shots. Playing on default pro difficulty.

Any tips?

Don't feel bad for playing on Rookie for a bit, my first 2K was 2K11 and I had to tone the difficulty down to learn the mechanics, once it clicked I could play it on the hard settings.

Crazyorloco

Sounds like you may be double tapping circle (or equivalent) to flop. I had to replay the turorials while it was still downloading before bed. Guess I learned something!

damnnnn you're right. that's exactly what I was doing. I gotta check out the tutorials/controls more in this.

Same. lol I think you'll naturally improve though. I'm much better at the game than my first hour or two of play. I never scored a bucket at first, but now i'm scoring here and there. Timing of the shots is important as well as being open when you shoot.

Definitely closer to PS4/Xbox One quality. I'm pleased.

The only thing I think they need to fix is how VC is handled right now. I want to preview a damn haircut before I purchase it. I don't mind the grind to increase stats though.

I recommend going through at least 2ku

The primary things I can add is to use the pick n roll fairly often (which teams do in real life), and depending on the difficulty (you can get away with this on rookie/pro) try to only take high quality shots (open jumpshots, layups if the defenders are staying home on shooters).

If you try to shoot contested jumpshots on the higher difficulties, you get punished hard, and will rarely make them, even if you are good at timing. The pick n roll is huge for opening up the drive n kick game (pass to open shooter due to collapse of defenders protecting the inside).

And yes, as someone said, going through 2KU.

Something I found helpful was going to coach settings and turning on all of the play art and setting the play calling to auto. That way it tells you where to stand, who to pass to, where to run etc. and it helped me get a very basic idea of the kind of strategies used in basketball.

Thanks for the tips. I'm playing on pro right now until I get the hang of things.

Nintendo should really consider getting NBA players onboard with this game. Just imagine the Switch ad where players are playing 2K on the road or team bus.

Is the 10fps cutscene in the Switch version after the Prelude limited only to that cutscene?

The VA sync looks terrible in all versions unfortunately.

Do the players get the sweat shaders on Switch at all?

Zafir

I've put some time into the career on Switch, basically did the intro to getting onto the team. Performance overall is pretty good. The game struggles a bit with the city, like the proving ground bit at the start had lot of jagged edges, there were also two points during the matches there where the framerate dipped. That said, outside of that it seems to run really well, and looks very impressive for a handheld. When playing on the inside courts the game looks and plays shockingly well honestly.

wmlk

I'm willing to bet 2K is going to make bank off of retail when they do a reprint with Kyrie wearing a Celtics jersey.

atr0cious

Whew that last cutscene is long. I cooked lunch (spaghetti) and took a few phone calls and it was still going.

But I'm really loving the feeling of the game, how loose everything feels. It didn't feel really tied to animations, like I stole a ball by just walking between the ball and a player, just everything works when it needs to. Hard to describe as I've only spent like an hour on '16 a couple years ago. But it feels like I'm in control, even with my PF, just have to work within the rules of the locomotion system.

Top Bottom